Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

nth-ing the Chamonix. I got the 045F-1, but should've got the 045N-2 -- I never, ever use the asymmetrical tilt, so I'm carrying around an extra 200g for no reason (and I paid more for the privilege!)

I'd really suggest making a shopping list before you buy anything. There's so much extra stuff involved in shooting LF that it's easy to forget something until you find out you need it. Bare minimum, you'll need the camera, lens, tripod & tripod head, some way to carry it all, cable shutter releases, changing bag (or darkroom), film holders, a loupe, and something you can use as a darkcloth. Later on you'll want to get a proper meter, colour filters for B&W, more film holders, and an actual darkcloth. Probably some film, too.

I really like 150 & 210 as well. They were the two cheapest lenses I've bought and the 150 is almost comically light (the 300mm I bought off Sludge Tank is comically light). I don't think you could go wrong with the standard 150, but honestly I think the 210 is even more versatile. That said, because LF lenses are so much lighter than their MF counterparts, it's so much easier to justify carrying two or three around with you, so you'll be more likely to use different lenses.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Another happy Chamonix 045-N2 user here! It's a great lightweight setup for backpacking and your choices of lens really depends on what you want to shoot. I started with a 120 and 210 but thanks to MrBlandAverage, I grabbed a 90, 150 and 300. Now I use the 90 most of all but that's because I shoot in a lot of tight urban areas. Also the best advice MrBlandAverage ever gave me was to get a dark tent instead of a dark bag. That saved me tons of frustrations in changing film.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth

alkanphel posted:

get a dark tent instead of a dark bag. That saved me tons of frustrations in changing film.

Yep.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

Sludge Tank posted:

"View Camera Technique" by Leslie Stroebel is also pretty in depth but I never finished it. It might pay to read about the lf camera before using it as it can be a little confusing trying to use it without understanding the basics.

I'm selling a copy of it over in the Buy/Sell thread, too!

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Dorkroom Short Fiction Champion 2012

Young Orc
Yeah, my standard 4x5 kit is a 135, 180, and 240mm. I own a 90 but almost never use it because it's either wider than what I want or no where near wide enough. I may pick up a 75mm in the future. I honestly don't find the darkbag too bad with 4x5 but am picking up a cheap darktent soon because 8x10 is nearly impossible. I can see a tent being necessary if you live in some blasted hell hole with humidity though.

Mrenda
Mar 14, 2012
:gizz: at the last few posts. Dat negative size!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Happy Chamonix 045N-2 owner here :swoon: I think I've had mine the longest, since March 2012. I've put hundreds of sheets through it.

I started with a 150 but quickly found that I liked things just a smidge wider. My standard lens kit these days is a 90, 135, and 300mm set. I also have 65mm and 210mm lenses but rarely use them except where needed situationally.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

How well would a Chamonix do with light rain?

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

It's just wood. I use a waterproof dark cloth to sit on top of the camera during rain and I haven't had any issues.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
Yeah, it's well-sealed wood. All the same, I pull my darkcloth forward over the front standard so it covers the whole camera. Here's the water resistant (not sure it's quite waterproof) darkcloth ansel autisms and I use - worth every drat penny: http://www.viewcamerastore.com/4x5-btzs-focus-hood-dark-cloth/

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Are you some kind of hypnotist??
Grimey Drawer
That Chamonix priced at $900 is actually way way way way cheaper for a LF camera "body" than I was expecting it to be. Of course we're talking in photography bucks here. And I know there are a million other accessories required, too.

Just how "cheap" are those plasmat lenses that 8th-snype mentioned?

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

My office is in the front room of a run-down 12 megapixel sensor but the rent suits me and the landlord doesn't ask many questions.

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

How well would a Chamonix do with light rain?

I use mine no problem in Seattle, without a real darkcloth (black tee shirt crew represent). I just avoid heavy down pours.

BANME.sh posted:

That Chamonix priced at $900 is actually way way way way cheaper for a LF camera "body" than I was expecting it to be. Of course we're talking in photography bucks here. And I know there are a million other accessories required, too.

Just how "cheap" are those plasmat lenses that 8th-snype mentioned?

My 150mm was under a hundred bucks on ebay, it has a filter ring dent but I only wanted the shutter anyway. My 215mm was $68 on ebay, someone at KEH done hosed up on a "best offer". Those were good deals, generally a 135mm or 150mm will run you between $100 and $150 unless you want some crazy cult lens. Not counting film (or the v700) I think I have less than 3k into Lf which is pretty good when you consider I have a 4x5, 8x10, poo poo ton of holders, and like 7 lenses.

spf3million
Sep 27, 2007

hit 'em with the rhythm

8th-snype posted:

Not counting film
Ding ding ding!

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Saint Fu posted:

Ding ding ding!

On this note, I consider buying Fomapan to be false economy. The emulsion is fragile as hell and you need a full stop of reciprocity correction at 1s metered :staredog:

Just get some Ilford stuff for $1.30/sheet, seriously (US prices).

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I got one of those waterproof Black Jacket dark cloths from Quietworks.com. It even doubles as a fashionable rain coat and has the bitches crawling.

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
In the spirit of lightweight, i have a manfrotto 190cx pro4 tripod and 460mg tripod head. Very lightweight combo and stand plenty tall enough.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR
You know, I think we should have a definitive list of items required/recommended for LF, since we talk about it abstractly pretty often, but never very specifically as a whole... here's my first stab at it. Tell me what I'm forgetting or what recommended items should be different.

• Camera (Recommended: Chamonix 045N-2, $900, or Crown/Speed Graphic, $300)
  • Lens (Recommended: 135-180mm Plasmat-type lens, $100-200)
  • Shutter release (Recommended: generic eBay shutter release, $5)
  • Lensboard (Recommended: generic eBay lensboard to match your camera and lens, $25)
  • Lens spanner wrench (Recommended: generic eBay wrench, $20)
  • Film holders (Recommended: $20 for 2-5 modern plastic type double darkslide holders - Riteway, Lisco Regal, etc.)
  • Film changing tent ($150) or completely light-tight room ($free)
  • Darkcloth (Recommended: BTZS darkcloth, $75, or $free black t-shirt since you probably already have one)
  • Focusing loupe (Recommended: eBay 6x focusing loupe, $80, or $110 Wista 5x focusing loupe)
  • LF capable scanner (Recommended: Epson V700, $600, or used 4990, $200)
  • B&W film (Recommended: Ilford HP5+, $35)

I'm assuming here that you already have a way of metering, B&W development equipment/chems, and a worthwhile tripod.

That's a minimum of $750 or so, or $500 if you already have a LF-capable scanner, going up to $2000 or so if you want to splash out; in other words, actually pretty comparable to digital or smaller-format film.

MrBlandAverage fucked around with this message at 17:30 on Nov 15, 2014

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

^ This is awesome, thanks

Is the V600 a poo poo scanner for $200? I'd like to start scanning my own negatives, but can't justify the V700 at this point.

bellows lugosi
Aug 9, 2003

V600 won't scan 4x5

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
I wish I could get HP5+ for $35 :(

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

MrBlandAverage posted:

You know, I think we should have a definitive list of items required/recommended for LF, since we talk about it abstractly pretty often, but never very specifically as a whole... here's my first stab at it. Tell me what I'm forgetting or what recommended items should be different.

• Camera (Recommended: Chamonix 045N-2, $900, or Crown/Speed Graphic, $300)
  • Lens (Recommended: 135-180mm Plasmat-type lens, $100-200)
  • Lensboard (Recommended: generic eBay lensboard to match your camera and lens, $25)
  • Film holders (Recommended: $20 for 2-5 modern plastic type double darkslide holders - Riteway, Lisco Regal, etc.)
  • Film changing tent ($150) or completely light-tight room ($free)
  • Darkcloth (Recommended: BTZS darkcloth, $75, or $free black t-shirt since you probably already have one)
  • Focusing loupe (Recommended: eBay 6x focusing loupe, $80, or $110 Wista 5x focusing loupe)
  • LF capable scanner (Recommended: Epson V700, $600, or used 4990, $200)
  • B&W film (Recommended: Ilford HP5+, $35)

I'm assuming here that you already have a way of metering, B&W development equipment/chems, and a worthwhile tripod.

That's a minimum of $750 or so, or $500 if you already have a LF-capable scanner, going up to $2000 or so if you want to splash out; in other words, actually pretty comparable to digital or smaller-format film.

So what you're saying is that as a 35mm photographer, I should skip MF entirely and go LF? :getin:

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

Depends on how much of a disposable income you have. The film and processing costs can be prohibitive, especially outside of the US. It also depends on how methodically you want to work. A Mamiya 7 and a Chamonix 45n will both yield (potentially) fantastic results, but it's apples and oranges.

A 6x7 shot of Portra 400 costs about $1.35CAD for me whereas a 4x5 shot would be around $8. The cost to entry advantage of LF quickly melts away once you start doing a decent amount of shooting.

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Nov 15, 2014

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

lime's right, and it's the reason I've only shot B&W in 4x5.

That said, I'd still recommend 4x5 over MF if you think it'll suit your style of shooting more. It's a much slower process and you'll be taking far fewer photos than you would shooting MF, which helps mitigate the extra cost per shot.

Wild EEPROM
Jul 29, 2011

oh, my, god. Becky, look at her bitrate.
There isn't much of a cost of entry disadvantage to MF; going with the above setup, you're looking at about $450-500 for the camera, lens, lens board, and a couple filmholders. That's medium format money; you could get a Pentax 6x7, unmetered prism, and a lens for that, or maybe a mamiya rb67, 120 back, waistlevel viewfinder, and a lens.
Looking at keh right now, a 6x7 body is $200, a ~50mm equivalent lens is about $175, and a metered-but-meter-is-broken prism is $33, for a total of $408. Then there are also savings from not needing such a beastly tripod, a darkbag to load your film, etc.

That's only looking at it from the money point of view of course.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Some other small stuff that might be needed:

Lens shutter wrench is highly recommended.
Cable releases, preferably one for each shutter.

Pompous Rhombus
Mar 11, 2007

alkanphel posted:

I forgot to bring mine on a trip to Vancouver 4 years ago, got soaked for $45 at a local camera shop there :negative:

Also forgot to zip my changing bag unloading holders right at the end of the trip. Whoops, sorry every color 4x5 shot I took! :suicide:

Aside from that it was a very nice trip though.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

try it with a lime posted:

A 6x7 shot of Portra 400 costs about $1.35CAD for me whereas a 4x5 shot would be around $8. The cost to entry advantage of LF quickly melts away once you start doing a decent amount of shooting.

A 4x5 shot of Provia 100F costs $16 for me in total. Really makes my wallet weep.

BANME.sh
Jan 23, 2008

What is this??
Grimey Drawer

A 6x7 shot of Portra 400 costs about $1.35CAD for me
Are you factoring in dev costs in this?

a foolish pianist
May 6, 2007

(bi)cyclic mutation

Helicity posted:

Is the V600 a poo poo scanner for $200? I'd like to start scanning my own negatives, but can't justify the V700 at this point.

I got my V600 for $65 dollars on craigslist. It's totally worth that much.

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

BANME.sh posted:

Are you factoring in dev costs in this?

Yeah, although I meant to type $1.45. It's about $7 for a roll of Portra if I order in bulk through B&H, local lab is $7.50 for processing 120. Sooo... 6x6=$1.20, 6x7=$1.45, 6x9=$1.80 roughly (+tax).

alkanphel posted:

A 4x5 shot of Provia 100F costs $16 for me in total. Really makes my wallet weep.

:homebrew:

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 15, 2014

Sludge Tank
Jul 31, 2007

by Azathoth
Hey lime why haven't you been posting many pictures lately? Are you busy or are you waiting to unload a shitload of rad?

burzum karaoke
May 30, 2003

I've been working on a couple of photo series over the past year. One's shaping up really well, aaaaand the other one needs an enema. Apart from that, I have some old crap from the past two years that I've been neglecting to upload, but I'm not really sure how to feel about those. v:shobon:v

burzum karaoke fucked around with this message at 04:48 on Nov 15, 2014

voodoorootbeer
Nov 8, 2004

We may have years, we may have hours, but sooner or later we push up flowers.

I've been working on a couple of photo series over the past year. One's shaping up really well, aaaaand the other one needs an enema. Apart from that, I have some old crap from the past two years that I've been neglecting to upload, but I'm not really sure how to feel about those. v:shobon:v

folks curious to see what you got goin on if that's any consolation

SHOP by voodoorootbeer, on Flickr

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

alkanphel posted:

drat. Although at the rate I shoot MF, it probably wouldn't matter much. After physically holding a 4x5 negative and comparing it to my puny 6x9 (and stressing over how to use grads on a rangefinder) I'm seriously considering grabbing something non-Chamonix and taking the plunge.

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

drat. Although at the rate I shoot MF, it probably wouldn't matter much. After physically holding a 4x5 negative and comparing it to my puny 6x9 (and stressing over how to use grads on a rangefinder) I'm seriously considering grabbing something non-Chamonix and taking the plunge.

If you are in the US and shooting negative film the price drops considerably. It basically costs me $8 a shot for Portra 4x5, including developing and postage.

MrBlandAverage
Jul 2, 2003

GNNAAAARRRR

Helicity posted:

Get a used 4990 for the same $200.

alkanphel posted:

Some other small stuff that might be needed:

Lens shutter wrench is highly recommended.

You're right, I'll add those.

alkanphel
Mar 24, 2004

Bukit Merah by alkanphel, on Flickr

Randuin
Dec 26, 2003

O-Overdrive~
I already have a V700 and have access to a darkroom (with chemicals!) for free. So that part definitely helps a lot. I think I definitely might go towards a Chamonix setup

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Is that Kickstarter large format camera ever coming out? That thing sounded amazing for the price, but last I heard, it was mired in delays and poor communication.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8th-snype
Aug 28, 2005

Young Orc

Helicity posted:

Is that Kickstarter large format camera ever coming out? That thing sounded amazing for the price, but last I heard, it was mired in delays and poor communication.

The travel wide? It's uuuuuhhh complicated. We have been told we should get them soon, but they have said that for like a year now. I'm not mad, I'd rather have a working camera in the future than a paperweight right now. Plus it's not a great 1st LF camera, there's no movements or anything. You need movements, you don't know that you need them right now but once you have them you will understand.

• Locked thread