Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

Synonamess Botch posted:

i play bass clawhammer style someone tell me how bad i am

on a scale of one to the power glove you're the Sega menacer

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

shiksa posted:

anything less than a millimeter is effectively useless.

i use those cartoonishly thick dunlop big stubbys that wear down after about 2 minutes. just feel so good.

sometimes i use .73s (because i use those for guitar anyway and i lose picks constantly) but most of the time they're gonna be the 1mm ones, yeah

but ive been told i play bass like a guitar and guitar like a bass, whatever that means

tacodaemon posted:

I'm usually a guitarist but I've also played bass in a couple of bands with friends, and I found that the really important thing is getting your left hand (or right hand, if you play lefty) working well, because fretting notes to sound really rock-solid is surprisingly more involved on a bass than on a guitar

this is mad true

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 06:31 on Nov 16, 2014

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

i've played guitar for like 10 years and i've never used or needed a pick at all

spoiler: it sounds exactly the same

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.
ehh nvm

nishi koichi fucked around with this message at 07:28 on Nov 16, 2014

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

ThePutty posted:

i've heard windex/generic window cleaners work just fine on guitar bodies

I use windex to clean the whole guitar. Then I wipe it down with pledge.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePutty posted:

i've played guitar for like 10 years and i've never used or needed a pick at all

spoiler: it sounds exactly the same

It depends on what you're playing and how tough your nails are.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Sire Oblivion posted:

It depends on what you're playing and how tough your nails are.

this is true as well, but generally a nail and a pick both do the exact same job

or you can play an SG and just use the blunt side of your finger and get the flattest tone on earth

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

muike posted:

lmao i literally can't believe faustus posts immediately after you as if to prove your point
Well, literally believe it because I always wondered about it and I asked someone who seemed to know about it when it came up in conversation.
I should have known someone who knows everything about guitars like yourself would come out to slag me for it.

I hope it made you feel good, muike.

AchtungBaby
Dec 5, 2007

HAIL SATAN

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

shiksa posted:

anything less than a millimeter is effectively useless.

i use those cartoonishly thick dunlop big stubbys that wear down after about 2 minutes. just feel so good.

.96 gator grips are really good IMO. Tried a 3mm tortex I had lying around and it was awful.

Speaking of awful.

W424
Oct 21, 2010

I once saw a kvlt pentagram guitar, unfortunately the pentagram was the right side up and not inverted. Dude was asking +1k€ for it.

Back in the 90's my friends younger brother started to play black metal and had built this SG looking bass by himself. It was loving hilarious and allmost unplayable, it was also painted light blue for some reason. We called it the Blue Meanie.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

For what it is, it's about as good as it gets. If you're playing in a panda face black metal band that's a dream guitar.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

thats right i play bass with a plectrum

Sire Oblivion posted:

This is depressing.

anyone who doesn't play bass with a pick is probably an insufferable nerd with a hideous bass who plays bad music hth

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

Stux posted:

anyone who doesn't play bass with a pick is probably an insufferable nerd with a hideous bass who plays bad music hth

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

ThePutty posted:

this is true as well, but generally a nail and a pick both do the exact same job

BUT MY TONE PICKS. :qq:

I tried doing the nail-only method for my electric and by the end of the week of my usually playing my nails were worn down and paper thin, I was able to just tear them. It really sucked because when I was trying to play like that I loved not having to worry about dropping poo poo and it felt more natural, I liked not having anything between me and the strings. I started my guitar playing with Classical Guitar and it's a hell of a lot more natural to me than using a pick is but there's no way I can keep up with it.

Stux posted:

You play punk don't you? Hahahahaha.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

Sire Oblivion posted:

I tried doing the nail-only method for my electric and by the end of the week of my usually playing my nails were worn down and paper thin, I was able to just tear them. It really sucked because when I was trying to play like that I loved not having to worry about dropping poo poo and it felt more natural, I liked not having anything between me and the strings. I started my guitar playing with Classical Guitar and it's a hell of a lot more natural to me than using a pick is but there's no way I can keep up with it.

my nails are actually really short because i have this habit of chewing them, so what i end up doing is sort of flicking the strings as opposed to plucking them. you don't really need to pluck, you just need to sort of hit your nail against the string and that creates the same sound as a pick does without loving your nail to hell. i'd record something if i actually had any recording equipment so i can prove it doesn't sound terrible

you're right that it creates a lot of freedom and feels a hell of a lot more natural though, that's why i never bothered switching over to a pick

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Sire Oblivion posted:

depends what band I'm playing with, ive played in just straight rock bands, metal bands, weirdo indie poo poo, done some jazz nights etc. i'm not too fussy about what genres i play as long as the group is decent.

i just like punk a lot thats the difference. picks give you a lot more options in how you play unless you've become some kind of finger style king. and you can still tuck the pick up and pluck some bits for dynamics etc. just gives you a lot more range i find, its more sustainable for longer periods, gives more control and consistency.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

also playing finger style makes you look like a goober, and most bassists ive met that love finger style as the True Bass Playing Method are insufferable pricks

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

furthermore: punk owns

IronLawnmower
Aug 28, 2014

Stux posted:

Dirt
May 26, 2003

Larry Graham is here to tell you that Punk sucks and your way of playing bass is for dorks:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NAUw1aml5j4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

slapping is even worse

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

not because the technique or it being used in context is an issue, but because now all bassist feel like they should slap on everything all the time and it is the most annoying thing on the planet.

Schpyder
Jun 13, 2002

Attackle Grackle

Stux posted:

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Stux posted:

slapping is even worse

counterpoint: it's extremely fun

need to work on my pops though.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

is it possible to play slap guitar?

i would really like to see dr. faustus play slap guitar

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ThePutty posted:

is it possible to play slap guitar?

i would really like to see dr. faustus play slap guitar

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N5kXnPU4egE

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

weird question but i was hoping someone like WDE might know: where in the gently caress can i find a 10k to 600 ohms step down transformer in the uk without spending stupid money on shipping for an edcor or similar. want to make a DIY reamp box because gently caress paying those stupid prices but having trouble finding the transformer needed in the uk.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

i'm disappointed such a cool technique is being used in a such a boring way

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Stux posted:

weird question but i was hoping someone like WDE might know: where in the gently caress can i find a 10k to 600 ohms step down transformer in the uk without spending stupid money on shipping for an edcor or similar. want to make a DIY reamp box because gently caress paying those stupid prices but having trouble finding the transformer needed in the uk.

actually looking now some people are saying you don't want to do this and use a straight 600:600 ohm transformer instead. albeufklergh

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ah yes, slapping

the squeal of the bass world, only a lot less cool sounding than an ah

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.
So I decided to fix something that wasn't broken (or needed) and added a trem to my hardtail Jaguar:

I'm probably barely going to use it ever, but MOJO

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

ignore previous transformer question, found a spec for a radial prormp which uses a 10k 1:1 transformer which are a poo poo ton easier to come across. also the parts come to like, £20 for the £100 retail box of course

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

I have a bronze series BC Rich Warlock bass.

It's poo poo. BC rich make awesome looking but terrible guitars.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass

JohnnySmitch posted:

So I decided to fix something that wasn't broken (or needed) and added a trem to my hardtail Jaguar:

What the gently caress kind of trem is this

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

JohnnySmitch posted:

What sorta tremolo is that?

Lord_Ferritos posted:

I have a bronze series BC Rich Warlock bass.

It's poo poo. BC rich make awesome looking but terrible guitars.
If I remember right their mid-high level stuff is good, and they also used to be good ages ago or something???

ZombieParts posted:

ah yes, slapping

the squeal of the bass world, only a lot less cool sounding than an ah
yeah but again, it's hella fun

Salisbury Snape
May 26, 2014
While a grain platform can be used for corn, a specialized corn head is ordinarily used instead.

Sleepflower posted:

If I remember right their mid-high level stuff is good, and they also used to be good ages ago or something???

They used to be good, their wiring is terrible though even with the half decent guitars.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Fax Sender posted:

What the gently caress kind of trem is this

It's a Duesenberg Les Trem - it mounts to the existing tailpiece lugs, so I didn't have to modify anything permanently.

Fax Sender
Aug 11, 2013

kiss my ass
How much does it cost

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dirt
May 26, 2003

So I was just playing my beautiful Antigua Stratocaster and I was looking at my brown Les Paul, wishing it was also finished in a beautiful Antigua burst. Antigua finish was a Fender thing I think, so Gibson never made any. But I googled it, and found this:

It's a refinish job some dude did on a Les Paul Custom. I like it, a lot. Although it's not quite as greenish as I'd like. Also the Bigsby is horrible.

But I have now updated my dream guitar. Instead of a 3 P90 Goldtop Les Paul. I want a 3 P90 Antigua Les Paul.

Bonus pic:

:allears:

I was kinda bummed about Fender reissuing the Starcaster and Coronado, but not offering them in Antigua finishes

Dirt fucked around with this message at 18:57 on Nov 16, 2014

• Locked thread