Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

It's only a HG, and it's hardly Neo Zeong :shrug:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

signalnoise posted:

I still don't "get" building a gundam in one day

It's not that hard. Hell, a HG kit is something that can be knocked out in about 2 hours, tops.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TaurusOxford posted:

It's not that hard. Hell, a HG kit is something that can be knocked out in about 2 hours, tops.

With all the sanding and the lining and the whatnot

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

signalnoise posted:

With all the sanding and the lining and the whatnot

Yeah, there's your problem. I just shave off the nub with my hobby knife, dab an appropriately colored marker on the spot and wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

TaurusOxford posted:

Yeah, there's your problem. I just shave off the nub with my hobby knife, dab an appropriately colored marker on the spot and wipe off the excess with a paper towel.

I don't even do that most of the time. Clip once with a xuron and done

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

signalnoise posted:

I still don't "get" building a gundam in one day

I just built the MG GM Quel in my hotel room yesterday to enter and lose a contest today. :colbert:

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

how many hours per day though. I might take a few days for a more complex hg but i only build an hour or maybe 2 a day. I asked someone else about this who said they build mg's in a day (prob dickeye) and they said "oh yea i build for 8 hours a day".

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
it's country living

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

how many hours per day though. I might take a few days for a more complex hg but i only build an hour or maybe 2 a day. I asked someone else about this who said they build mg's in a day (prob dickeye) and they said "oh yea i build for 8 hours a day".

Yeah that was me, I built Turn A and 00 Raiser in one long sitting each on my day off. Unicorn's taking me a little longer just because I got it on my second night off, meaning I have no free time till Tuesday.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747
Double posting because I've been putting together a list of kits for Shelf Part Deux: Goofy Zeon Suits (and also Guntank and Guncannon) and you can see it here http://www.amazon.com/gp/registry/wishlist/3TQES9YU4Y5AK/ref=cm_wl_rlist_go_o

Is there anything big that I'm missing besides a Zaku II and a Z'gok, which I already have and will be the last things to pick up for the shelf (mine are squaring off with Big Red and running in terror, respectively, and I like them that way)?

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Related but on the other end of the spectrum: I'm looking for sensible Zeon suits.

Char's Counterattack and Unicorn is pretty much the lot, right? With stuff like the Geara Doga etc.

Gyro Zeppeli fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Nov 15, 2014

TheFlyingLlama
Jan 2, 2013

You really think someone would do that? Just go on the internet and be a llama?

Literally The Worst posted:

Is there anything big that I'm missing besides a Zaku II and a Z'gok, which I already have and will be the last things to pick up for the shelf (mine are squaring off with Big Red and running in terror, respectively, and I like them that way)?

A Gyan maybe? Also the Hygogg, for that matter.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

TheFlyingLlama posted:

A Gyan maybe? Also the Hygogg, for that matter.

Yeah that's the second Hygogg call-out I've had, and you're right on Gyan. Maybe a Z'gok-E too.

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
Dra-C?

Scratchbuild (or 3d print) a 1/144 Adzam? (I kid!)

Zaku-cannon? (Looks like those are 1/100 only)

Kampfer? (I highly recommend a Kampfer--it's got so many great accessories!)

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
zogok

ChaiCalico
May 23, 2008

Both Kshatriya's

edit: checkout gouf custom. Maybe see if you like the zaku 1 sniper msv "yonem kirks"

ChaiCalico fucked around with this message at 21:09 on Nov 15, 2014

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

madpanda posted:

Both Kshatriya's

edit: checkout gouf custom. Maybe see if you like the zaku 1 sniper msv "yonem kirks"

Kshatriya is too pretty and sleek for what I'm doing.

It's not on that list I linked, but it's an eventuality. I just already have one and I'm waiting until the end to double dip.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

I'm gonna rep for the Rick Dom. Doms are great, and the more you can get, the better they are. Get thirty!

Also, if you're really jonesing for a Guntank, maybe wait on the HG and get yourself an MG Guntank. The engineering on that thing is amazing, and it's huge fun to build and pose, and has some really cool gimmicks.

BENGHAZI 2
Oct 13, 2007

by Cyrano4747

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I'm gonna rep for the Rick Dom. Doms are great, and the more you can get, the better they are. Get thirty!

Also, if you're really jonesing for a Guntank, maybe wait on the HG and get yourself an MG Guntank. The engineering on that thing is amazing, and it's huge fun to build and pose, and has some really cool gimmicks.

MGs are so expensive though! THe centerpiece of this shelf is that White And Red thing I've talked about a few times and that's going to set me back a couple hundo all on its own. I might do one after I finish Part Deux: Silly Designs but I'm gonna need a break from expensive kits.

pope archibald
Jun 20, 2006

:420::350:DABS ALL DAY :350::420:
Hoping on the Unicorn train, its awesome. My 1/144 HG Full Armor Destroyer Mode arrived a week early, now I just need to finish my G-Self. My first gunplas in 10 years. Thank you little brother for reigniting my love of giant robots, their stories, and their much smaller, totally rad versions.

And thank you goons for your pics and tips, they are awesome and helpful. The olive oil trick seems to work pretty well.

Souichiro
Aug 31, 2003

You should focus on doing the things only you can do.
Is the MG Jesta as awesome as it looks? I'm looking for another MG to build, and it's either that or the Build Gundam Mk-II.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn
Both of those kits are great, but Build Gundam mkII is technically a two in one so.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I'm thinking about building something, after a hiatus of 10~ years. Can anyone give any advice about the following kits? They're all 1/100 MG.

RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G.

XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam Ver.Ka

GX-9900 Gundam X

GN-001 Gundam Exia

The only master grade I've built before was a Zaku II. That was a long time ago, but I'm confident that nothing amongst those kits could be worse than the stupid little cylinder things on the Zaku's leg pipes.

Anyway, any thoughts on which of these is easiest to build? And which will look the best without having to do a bunch of extra stuff beyond gluing/sanding, panel lining and applying a lacquer topcoat? How much of a pain in the rear end are all the decals on Ver.Ka kits?

The GX looks the easiest to me, but it's also my least favourite of the bunch. I really liked the designs in Gundam X, but its kits seem a bit underwhelming.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG Gundam X is the best in literally every single way. Get it.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I've been lurking this thread for like two days and even I knew you'd say that.

It does look cool, though. :shobon:

I wish there was an MG Leopard.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Frankenstein Dad posted:

I'm thinking about building something, after a hiatus of 10~ years. Can anyone give any advice about the following kits? They're all 1/100 MG.

RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G.

XM-X1 Crossbone Gundam Ver.Ka

GX-9900 Gundam X

GN-001 Gundam Exia

The only master grade I've built before was a Zaku II. That was a long time ago, but I'm confident that nothing amongst those kits could be worse than the stupid little cylinder things on the Zaku's leg pipes.

Anyway, any thoughts on which of these is easiest to build? And which will look the best without having to do a bunch of extra stuff beyond gluing/sanding, panel lining and applying a lacquer topcoat? How much of a pain in the rear end are all the decals on Ver.Ka kits?

The GX looks the easiest to me, but it's also my least favourite of the bunch. I really liked the designs in Gundam X, but its kits seem a bit underwhelming.

You should get the X, its got really great engineering and will look amazing with just cleaning up the nubs and panel lining, let alone topcoat.

LeadSled
Jan 7, 2008

So, Build Fighters is working exactly as Bandai wishes, and just like last season I've ended up impulse-buying another Master-Grade. Last time it was the RX-78 3.0, and honestly it looks kinda like crap as I didn't do much other than clean up the nub marks and apply all of those goddamn stickers.

Now I've got the MG Tallgeese coming from Amazon, and I'm looking for a way to make this one look better. Is it worth buying the waterslide decal kits I see on EBay? My problem with the stickers is that they started to look like crap about a week after I finished the model, even though I thought I was careful not to let skin oil get all over the area while applying.

Also, I keep hearing about people using floor wax of all things as a topcoat, surface prep, and generally for everything imaginable on these. What the hell?

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

LeadSled posted:

So, Build Fighters is working exactly as Bandai wishes, and just like last season I've ended up impulse-buying another Master-Grade. Last time it was the RX-78 3.0, and honestly it looks kinda like crap as I didn't do much other than clean up the nub marks and apply all of those goddamn stickers.

Now I've got the MG Tallgeese coming from Amazon, and I'm looking for a way to make this one look better. Is it worth buying the waterslide decal kits I see on EBay? My problem with the stickers is that they started to look like crap about a week after I finished the model, even though I thought I was careful not to let skin oil get all over the area while applying.

Also, I keep hearing about people using floor wax of all things as a topcoat, surface prep, and generally for everything imaginable on these. What the hell?

The waterslides are about a million times better than the stickers, seriously. And people use future because it's literally a really good self leveling acrylic gloss coat, no wax involved.

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein

BlitzBlast posted:

MG Gundam X is the best in literally every single way. Get it.

AVeryLargeRadish posted:

You should get the X, its got really great engineering and will look amazing with just cleaning up the nubs and panel lining, let alone topcoat.

Okay, thanks for the advice. :)

Are more recent kits generally better? Like, would it follow that the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G. is likely also pretty decent given that it just came out?

Broken Loose
Dec 25, 2002

PROGRAM
A > - - -
LR > > - -
LL > - - -

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Are more recent kits generally better? Like, would it follow that the RX-178 Gundam Mk-II Ver.2.0 A.E.U.G. is likely also pretty decent given that it just came out?

I'm actually pretty sure that the Mk-II is either the oldest or the second-oldest on your list, but yeah newer kits tend to be better. There's a cutoff point where kits go from "awesome" to "pretty good" and the 2.0 MGs are just newer than that point. The X is the newest on your list and also the best for many reasons both relating and not relating to its age.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Gundam mkII 2.0 is also a very nice kit, but it's not the X.

Get the X. :colbert:

Also it's sort of lacking in accessories, so unless you really like that maintenance base thing you should just get the Build mkII.

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Frankenstein Dad posted:

Welcome to the thread. Make sure you buy MG Wing kits somewhere down the line, or i'll spam pictures to convince you of their awesomeness. :)

Broken Loose posted:

I'm actually pretty sure that the Mk-II is either the oldest or the second-oldest on your list, but yeah newer kits tend to be better.

The website he linked is saying Mk.II 2.0 came out this year, which is what caused his confusion.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 03:58 on Nov 16, 2014

Frankenstein Dad
Jul 4, 2008

Dad of Frankenstein
I do like the Heavyarms and the Tallgeese!

Oh right, I was just going off the release date on hobby search! Turns out it's from 2005.

I'll go with the GX!

Frankenstein Dad fucked around with this message at 04:01 on Nov 16, 2014

Azubah
Jun 5, 2007

It's done, now they fight.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
I too like the Tallgeese I and Heavyarms. Let's be friends.

AstraLunaSol
Mar 6, 2013
Since everyone was talking about MG's for a bit, I'll show what I've been working on.

After building so many HG's, I forgot how sturdy MG's are. And a MG Qan[t] is on the way, that's gonna be fun.
Getting the Rouge's cockpit to open is rear end, though.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

AstraLunaSol posted:

Since everyone was talking about MG's for a bit, I'll show what I've been working on.

After building so many HG's, I forgot how sturdy MG's are. And a MG Qan[t] is on the way, that's gonna be fun.
Getting the Rouge's cockpit to open is rear end, though.

The backpack on that thing is insane. The sword is pretty cool though.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

TaurusOxford posted:

The sanding isn't that bad but it is really time consuming. You could just not even touch the nubs.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

It's good that it's the right height, but they both look awful. :sigh:

ZZ Extra Fit is impressively articulated, and the Wing Zero style Double Beam Rifle is really cool, but everything else is just a total wash.

The head is just a complete mess,

a squashed mess at that, and the backpack is just a shell of its former self. There's no way to hold the beam sabers (not that you'd even bother since they don't provide beam effect parts, the only ones in the box are for the new sabers in the knees), the missile pods don't open up, and there's only two thrusters now.

The decals are pretty nice though. They're obviously inspired by RG Zeta, which is a nice way of showing the two suits are related.

EDIT:

It's kind of sad that the HGUC is still by far the best ZZ out there.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 11:24 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
The MG ZZ doesn't look too bad if you can get all of its various folding, sliding and rotating parts to sit properly and behave while wrestling the thing into something like a natural pose (note: this is only theoretically possible). Conversely, the styling of the HGUC isn't all that much better on its own but is helped by the fact that it doesn't look like a half-collapsed barn, generally speaking.

The real problem is that, as originally visualized, the ZZ is a clunky piece of poo poo.

Bimmi fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Nov 16, 2014