Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bates
Jun 15, 2006
Graphical representation of men dying.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nameless_Steve
Oct 18, 2010

by Pragmatica
OH NO

MEN ARE LOSING THE WAR ON WOMEN

Jerry Manderbilt
May 31, 2012

No matter how much paperwork I process, it never goes away. It only increases.
We must secure the existence of our gender and a future for Male Children.

GeHoWa!

vintagepurple
Jan 31, 2014

by Nyc_Tattoo
How is it that boys manage to dominate the map at 0-19 years?

Kopijeger
Feb 14, 2010
Apparently, on average a bit more than half of all births are male.

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Kopijeger posted:

Apparently, on average a bit more than half of all births are male.

Also in that chart to the right there seems to be a slight dip in girls at like ~20 for some reason. Maybe because they're so emotional something something :biotruths:

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

vintagepurple posted:

How is it that boys manage to dominate the map at 0-19 years?

http://www.census.gov/prod/cen2010/briefs/c2010br-03.pdf

Of note is that you can see a wide divergence between the 2000 and 2010 census data on sex ratios starting at age 65, or so.

3peat
May 6, 2010

France: cannot into latino club

A Buttery Pastry
Sep 4, 2011

Delicious and Informative!
:3:

3peat posted:

France: cannot into latino club
Iceland, Norway, and Switzerland can into EU club though.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Why are there no numbers for the Netherlands, Latvia and Lithuania?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

So many dropouts that no one could be found to compile the statistics.

Belgium's even worse, they don't know how to write.

Carbon dioxide
Oct 9, 2012

Torrannor posted:

Why are there no numbers for the Netherlands, Latvia and Lithuania?

It's like the 9.7% is for all three baltic states. Weird.

Anyway, what do they mean with 18-24 year olds? Most people in that age range are already done with school. Do they mean people dropping out of university or something?

Phlegmish
Jul 2, 2011

I assume it's the percentage of people in that age category that have dropped out of high school.

Communist Zombie
Nov 1, 2011

Carbon dioxide posted:

It's like the 9.7% is for all three baltic states. Weird.

Anyway, what do they mean with 18-24 year olds? Most people in that age range are already done with school. Do they mean people dropping out of university or something?

But Lithuania is in the 0-7% color...

Ponsonby Britt
Mar 13, 2006
I think you mean, why is there silverware in the pancake drawer? Wassup?

Here is a politically loaded map, of Louisiana State Penitentiary. It used to be a plantation worked by slaves, but now it is a prison farm, managed as a rehabilitative project by incarcerated individuals. Obviously these are completely different scenarios. In conclusion, America firmly condemns the barbaric Mauritanians.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

I was not aware you could genetically transfer your prison sentence to your children! (extremely exploitative prison-work systems are still bullshit)

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Jaramin posted:

I was not aware you could genetically transfer your prison sentence to your children! (extremely exploitative prison-work systems are still bullshit)
Heredity isn't an integral part of what slavery is, though.

Modern Day Hercules
Apr 26, 2008

Jaramin posted:

If I force you to work against your will for my benefit you are my slave whether or not I give a poo poo about what your progeny do.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

quote:

Heredity isn't an integral part of what slavery is, though.
It was in the U.S. and Mauritania. The parallel is not accurate.

Also, did you guys miss the part where I said exploitative prison-work systems are wrong?

Edit for content:

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Nov 16, 2014

platzapS
Aug 4, 2007

DrSunshine posted:

The map of Europe under 100 m of sea level rise is great -- are there similar maps for the other regions of the world? I'm interested in seeing how it'd look for East/Southeast Asia.

EDIT:

Best I can find--

Chris Wayan does all sorts of alternate worlds. One of them is Earth if all the ice melted: Dubia. There's maps for all regions, including newly-lush Greenland and Antarctica.

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten

platzapS posted:

Chris Wayan does all sorts of alternate worlds. One of them is Earth if all the ice melted: Dubia. There's maps for all regions, including newly-lush Greenland and Antarctica.

Just a warning that guy's got some :nws::furcry: stuff mixed in there.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
And it's more speculative than scientific anyway. Still neat.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Jaramin posted:

It's better than slavery because you don't have to buy the men. You just incarcerate them, and their kids will enter foster care, making them that much more likely to end up in prison themselves. It's generational, but deniable (you're the one doing the denying).

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Jaramin posted:

Also, did you guys miss the part where I said exploitative prison-work systems are wrong?

Edit for content:

This is really interesting. Did What year is each frame supposed to be? I could probably work out a rough picture of the timeline from looking stuff up on Wikipedia, but :effort:

JosefStalinator
Oct 9, 2007

Come Tbilisi if you want to live.

Grimey Drawer

wdarkk posted:

Just a warning that guy's got some :nws::furcry: stuff mixed in there.

Yeah what the hell, this was really cool then I scrolled down and suddenly: Furries. :(

Shame Boy
Mar 2, 2010

Jaramin posted:

I don't think anyone thinks you like prison-work systems or anything but you got a kinda weird idea of what defines slavery.

Hedera Helix
Sep 2, 2011

The laws of the fiesta mean nothing!

Even through the low quality image, you can see the guard's poo poo-eating grin.

Jaramin
Oct 20, 2010

Pakled posted:

This is really interesting. Did What year is each frame supposed to be? I could probably work out a rough picture of the timeline from looking stuff up on Wikipedia, but :effort:

Unfortunately, I don't have the exact times for each frame, I found it while doing some research on the Nostratic theory and found it fascinating. :(

EDIT:
I found the dating! 3800 BC, 3000 BC, 2200 BC.

Jaramin fucked around with this message at 08:37 on Nov 16, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Is that putting Korean in the Japonic group? I've never heard of them being classed together before and it sounds really weird.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

totempoleman posted:

What's up with Moldova in this map???

It's trying to be on top of all "worst * in Europe" charts :eurovision:

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Bloodnose posted:

Is that putting Korean in the Japonic group? I've never heard of them being classed together before and it sounds really weird.

I think it's just saying that the people that lived on the Korean Peninsula in the 3000s and 2000s BC spoke a Japonic language.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

Bloodnose posted:

It looks like it's putting Korean as Altaic and Japanese as its own family, but yes the Japanese came from the Korean peninsula and that's what the map's reflecting

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

icantfindaname posted:

It looks like it's putting Korean as Altaic and Japanese as its own family, but yes the Japanese came from the Korean peninsula and that's what the map's reflecting

I'm sure this is something that jives well with Japanese nationalists :v:

TheImmigrant
Jan 18, 2011

icantfindaname posted:

Modern Korean is quite possibly a linguistic isolate, like Basque.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

TheImmigrant posted:

Modern Korean is quite possibly a linguistic isolate, like Basque.

No way. Korean and Japanese are almost the same language, they're the same family. Grammar's virtually identical and both get most of their vocabulary from Chinese. They both are claimed to be isolates because of nationalism.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Grand Fromage posted:

No way. Korean and Japanese are almost the same language, they're the same family. Grammar's virtually identical and both get most of their vocabulary from Chinese. They both are claimed to be isolates because of nationalism.
Really? Is it that obvious?

My wikipedia tier understanding of the subject makes me imagine it's plausible (it also seems possible that they're both just distantly Altaic languages), but if it was so obviously just a political game, you'd think the relationship would be more widely accepted, at least among western scholars.

Like, I was kind of surprised to learn Serbian and Croatian are literally the exact same language earlier in this topic, but looking into it, it's not like serious scholars pretend otherwise.

I know nothing about the specifics of linguistic classification, but I find the relationships fascinating, so any insight into how these languages are related would be cool.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I'm not a linguist but from living in the region and being familiar with them it seems pretty obvious. I've known many people who spoke one and learned the other, and all of those people reported it to be very easy to do because the grammar was nearly identical. The Chinese origin of the vocabulary isn't disputed by anybody.

I don't know if it's possible for two languages to be right next to each other and share 70% of their vocabulary and 95% of their grammar without being related, though. My understanding of language families is they're groups of languages with common features and common origins. I haven't studied it though.

I'd be interested in seeing an objective argument for treating them as unrelated. The only things I've ever seen seriously arguing it were from Korean or Japanese sources, which are not trustworthy on such subjects.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Nov 16, 2014

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I think the deal with Korean and Japanese is that the grammar is nearly identical, but the native vocabulary of Korean is or appears entirely unrelated to the native vocabulary of Japanese. The Chinese vocabulary was just adopted because of proximity, it doesn't necessarily mean they're related. Of course at that point there might not be much point in a tree model of development, I think the Altaic family isn't really a tree but more of a "stick a few unrelated languages together in Siberia for a few thousand years and they come out looking suspiciously alike" type thing. That's also how Chinese got tones, adopting them from SE Asian languages

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 13:09 on Nov 16, 2014

Deep State of Mind
Jul 30, 2006

"It was a busy day. I do not remember it all. In the morning, I thought I had lost my wallet. Then we went swimming and either overthrew a government or started a pro-American radio station. I can't really remember."
Fun Shoe
Yeah, Chinese, Japanese and Korean are culturally and historically related. They are not, however, genetically related. Korean and Japanese share some superficial grammar similarities, in particular the SOV sentence structure, but it's clear from Japonic and Korean vocabulary (evident in a language's most basic vocabulary, with verbs like "eat" and "sleep" and nouns like "boy" and "girl") that they come from different families.

The Altaic superfamily theory exists, but it's far from a linguistic consensus like Indo-European or Sinitic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Is there any commonly accepted theory on how languages from different families can have near identical grammar? Do languages that exist near each other grow to resemble each other? I know the adoption of hanzi is a big part of why they got so much Chinese vocabulary but it doesn't seem like that'd apply to grammar, since they aren't anything like Chinese grammatically.