Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

I've just bought Destiny for cheap, which I've heard is a good decision. However, I'm worried I'm about to enter a game where I'm under powered and no one wants to co-op my low level poo poo. Any tips?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OptimusShr
Mar 1, 2008
:dukedog:

PriorMarcus posted:

I've just bought Destiny for cheap, which I've heard is a good decision. However, I'm worried I'm about to enter a game where I'm under powered and no one wants to co-op my low level poo poo. Any tips?

-Every main story level in the game can be done solo. having partners just makes it easier.

-You can only get to level 20 through EXP. For level 21 and up you have to equip armor items that add to the light stat.

-There are vendors that sell legendary gear in the tower but they require vanguard marks and crucible marks. You earn vanguard marks through public events and strike playlists while crucible marks are earned through the crucible (Multiplayer). Both are capped at a max of 100 per week.

-If you need to grind vanguard and Crucible reputation check out the bounty tracker. Completing the bounties will give you a large rep boost for the faction that made the request.

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA
"Worst Civilization ever" totally started with 2; I can confirm this as I hated it with such a passion that I threw the game away. CivNet was an unambiguously excellent follow-up to 1 though!

SolidSnakesBandana posted:

In the end, if I hadn't hoarded my arrows of dispel throughout the entire game, I think my fight against Sarevok may well have been unwinnable. It's the one and only time hoarding items till the last fight in an RPG paid off.
You know what, that is a great point, since I also felt like Sarevok was unbeatable per the way I had been playing the rest of the game--but my hoarded items that took him down were wands? scrolls? of animal summoning. I hit the maximum number of summonable creatures while just off-screen from his entrance, sent the stupid things up toward him, watched them all die slowly, and repeated until his defenses were down. I think that is what I did anyway.

duckfarts posted:

• swing your arms from side to side
  • take one step and then again
Thank you

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.
I've been playing an awful lot of NEO Scavenger lately, and using a rusty saucepan I literally kicked a man to death over, I've boiled up some tips over a potato-chip-bag campfire to hopefully prolong the inevitable:
  • Combat is exceedingly risky, even for scavengers with Melee, Strong, Tough and/or Ranged. In melee, never use flurry of blows, and use single strikes only when your target is stunned, distracted or vulnerable (fallen is acceptable if you've a weapon with some range). Vulnerable is a really common status to trigger and you can use dodge or parry to wait for it to come up. Special options like kick, lure and create obstacle are usually optimal if it doesn't involve a good chance of making you fall down.
  • The cryo lab you start in should be thoroughly scavenged/explored and makes for a really great hidden campsite in the first part of the game.
  • A really good starting build includes at least Melee, Strong and Trapping. The first two allow you to, in combination, handle the game's first encounter flawlessly without injury and the latter allows you to craft a fur coat so you don't freeze to death.
  • Trapping in general is extremely useful throughout the entire game: it allows you to cure meat for long shelf life, start fires without a lighter, skin animals for their hide and gives you encounter options for safety. Melee exclusively allows you to craft broad spears, one of the best and most early available melee weapons. Ranged allows you to craft relatively effective greenwood bows and crude (broad)arrows on your own.
  • Other build recommendations: Mechanic which allows you to make your own carrier-vehicles (especially the travois) and improve the cryo lab, as well as make scavenging safer. Botany lets you forage for mushrooms and berries and exclusively allows you to brew bark tea, which helps with infections and is a disinfectant. Myopia is a good flaw to take as it can be cured and actually improved to Eagle Eye once you reach the Glow.
  • At this time, it is currently viable to become a water or tea merchant and make a fair amount of money that way, once you find markets. You can simply empty out bottles to sell their contents only. A little tedious, but very safe.
  • Always, always boil water to sterilize it before drinking. Finding a soup can or saucepan is of prime importance. A whiskey bottle will work for a single use, in a pinch. If you don't have Trapping, a lighter is another early-essential for this reason. You will get thirsty before you get hungry.
  • How to treat cuts: boil dirty rags to make them clean rags. Use disinfectants (whiskey or tea) on your cuts before applying clean rags (use sterilized water if you don't have disinfectant). Reapply clean rags when the originals turn into dirty rags. Blood loss takes a long time to recover from, and rest & heal works very, very slowly. Don't get hurt.
  • You have to manually place a sleeping bag on the ground (or campsite space) to benefit from it.
  • Pick up every scrap of paper with a recipe to automatically learn that recipe. After a few playthroughs, visit the game's wiki (linked in-game) for crafting recipes. Using them (blindly) once will enter them into your repertoire for that game only.
  • Scavenging can be done with multiple tools/skills. For instance, you can combine Strong/crowbar/light source/Mechanic for really good, really safe results.
  • You can wear multiple shirts (up to three layers) under a hoodie and an overcoat. Overcoats will block access to the hoodie's pocket but items inside will remain available for crafting/encounters.

Kenny Logins fucked around with this message at 16:41 on Nov 3, 2014

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

PriorMarcus posted:

The first time you do a story mission or a strike (dungeon) you get a HUGE bonus of XP.

Running it a second time gives you 0 bonus xp, you only get the xp you get from kills. You would get exactly as much XP from doing anything else, including farming. (Doesn't mean you should farm, but you could do patrols or whatever)

So obviously DO EVERYTHING ONCE. Then when the next story/strike available is too high level, you can just kinda gently caress around in PvE or PvP.

Level of your enemies doesn't matter for xp! You can kill level 1 mobs with friends co-op and get just as much XP as you do from killing guys on the latest story mission on mars or whatever.

Problem is; getting to the soft-cap (20) in this game is extremely easy. Everybody is already past 20. So yeah, you're just gonna have to burn up to 20 doing poo poo mostly solo. You could ask friends to join, and it could be fun, but they won't get much out of it. But 20 also won't take you long at all.

Once you're 20 (pretty much as soon as you've done everything once) then you have to start collecting gear to level yourself past 20 up to 30. This is called "light level" and it works like ilevel in WoW. Its your equipment level. Heroic dungeon gear will get you up to like 27 especially if you upgrade it with ascendant materials you get from doing dailies, and then you can run the raid to get raid gear and get to 30.

Now you've beaten Destiny and can join everybody else in running the same content over and over and over until Bungie finishes making the game. :rolleyes:

Just to kinda prepare you, Destiny is very much in the place Diablo 3 was at after launch. Its cool, its playable, its somewhat fun, but once you hit max level you're going to find the item grind is extremely repetitive and fairly unrewarding. Like Diablo 3 is now, Destiny could find itself in a much better place in about a year, after patches and expansions.

As-is I really hope you like playing halo multiplayer, crucible is about the only thing with any lasting value.

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance my god the parkour and the pokemon HELP

McCoy Pauley
Mar 2, 2006
Gonna eat so many goddamn crumpets.
Anyone have any tips for NBA2K14 (for the PC, if it makes a difference)? Like for starts, how to shoot free throws, and how to get my "create-a-player" not to suck? Or beyond that, how to make effective use of the right stick on the 360 controller?

blackguy32
Oct 1, 2005

Say, do you know how to do the walk?
Anything for Alien:Isolation?

Male Man
Aug 16, 2008

Im, too sexy for your teatime
Too sexy for your teatime
That tea that you're just driiinkiing

blackguy32 posted:

It's behind you right now.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

blackguy32 posted:

I'm only a couple hours into the game, but maybe I can help:

-Play on Easy
-Terminal messages that have door codes in them are highlighted in your Log
-Don't be afraid to haul rear end from enemies; stealth turtling only goes so far
-Do be afraid at all other times
-Hacking the air conditioning gives you refreshing spring mist action, does not conceal you from murderous crazies, rampaging androids, xenomorphs.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

PriorMarcus posted:

Just because being low level is relevant here, if you fight in the crucible (the PvP component) you'll find you're fighting people are level 20+ and you're not, that's normal and will happen.

Damage and armor is meaningless in the crucible, the game averages those out so everyone's on the same playing field. The only thing that matters is your abilities and the abilities on the guns. So you will get smoked by some level 20 dude but that's not because of imbalance, it's because he's been playing longer than you.

KoldPT
Oct 9, 2012

McCoy Pauley posted:

Anyone have any tips for NBA2K14 (for the PC, if it makes a difference)? Like for starts, how to shoot free throws, and how to get my "create-a-player" not to suck? Or beyond that, how to make effective use of the right stick on the 360 controller?

The right stick 'pro moves' are listed somewhere in the game. Rotating it generally involves your player rotating which helps leaving defenders behind.

Pb and Jellyfish
Oct 30, 2011
Anything for Silent Storm beyond what is in the wiki? Any great mods I should get? Also, should I get the mod that removes the Panzerkleins? I've heard that they are really unbalanced and dumb anyway, but I don't want to miss out on a fun part of the game if they aren't too bad.

al-azad
May 28, 2009

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Anything for Silent Storm beyond what is in the wiki? Any great mods I should get? Also, should I get the mod that removes the Panzerkleins? I've heard that they are really unbalanced and dumb anyway, but I don't want to miss out on a fun part of the game if they aren't too bad.

Get this mod. It reduces their armor and VP value. They're still strong but slightly slower than the average person as you'd expect from an armored power suit.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Pb and Jellyfish posted:

Anything for Silent Storm beyond what is in the wiki?

This mod is almost mandatory. The game expects you to use your skills to level them up, but totally fucks the actual progression curve so you're normally way behind where you should be. This mod fixes it dramatically.

Most weapons will have infinite ammo available at the base, just equip it then hit arrange and it'll spawn more rows of ammo. Some won't, and it's dependent on which side you're playing as - allies won't stock for axis guns and vice versa.

Bogmonster
Oct 17, 2007

The Bogey is a philosopher who knows

I picked up Risen 2: Dark Waters in a steam sale a while ago and just getting round to playing it now. I know its going to be a fairly janky one, but I liked the idea of a pirate RPG. Any obvious things I should know before getting to deep into it?

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Bogmonster posted:

I picked up Risen 2: Dark Waters in a steam sale a while ago and just getting round to playing it now. I know its going to be a fairly janky one, but I liked the idea of a pirate RPG. Any obvious things I should know before getting to deep into it?

You can't have good muskets and voodoo magic at the same time because the plot forks, muskets are more effective, even if blander.

Fat Samurai
Feb 16, 2011

To go quickly is foolish. To go slowly is prudent. Not to go; that is wisdom.
I started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in my tablet yesterday, controls are surprisingly good. What isn't as good is that even the easier quests are kicking my rear end.

Weak weapons take forever to kill a monster and heavy weapons mean I cannot touch the velociraptors/mosquitoes. I'm pretty sure I'm not supposed to facetank the quests with potions, so there has to be something I'm missing.

Besides "get better", I mean.

EDIT: And who's the "old lady" the wiki is talking about? The one next to my house?

Fat Samurai fucked around with this message at 12:33 on Nov 10, 2014

JaggerMcDagger
Feb 13, 2012

Bringing you Barry from the sordid depths of the Internet

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance my god the parkour and the pokemon HELP

So all those cool skills you leveled up on your pokemons? They only stay with that pokemon. So when you switch to a new team, don't be surprised if you find yourself a lot weaker because you really don't have half the skills you thought you had.
By the end of the game you will be up to your ears in minigames for your pokemons, so don't really worry too much about hording them.
Traverse town is way loving bigger than in previous games so don't be surprised.
More often than not, anything that is unique to a certain character is really good. So all the dark/shadow moves are good choices for Riku, for example.
The final boss has some really obnoxious moves, so don't be surprised if you get cheap shotted.
Also, unlike some of the other kingdom hearts games, there is really only one post game boss, so don't expect too much to happen after you beat the game.

Anyone have anything for Bayonetta 2?

JaggerMcDagger fucked around with this message at 01:19 on Nov 11, 2014

Mayor McCheese
Sep 20, 2004

Everyone is a mayor... Someday..
Lipstick Apathy

JaggerMcDagger posted:

Anyone have anything for Bayonetta 2?

Dodging is your bread and butter. Master this. Use a control scheme that is easy for you to execute dodges on a whim.

IMO your first purchase should be Bat Within. It's less about timed dodges and more about extending the window for dodging. Very handy.

Always be hitting something while in combat. Use your guns if you're too far away just to keep your combo meter from falling.

Aim to get gold or platinum ratings during combat, this will help improve your skills.

LPs automatically give you new weapons when you turn them in. Purchasing weapons is really only for your feet.

You can equip costumes at the chapter select screen. Some costumes just have addons that alter your default appearance, these you use like items.

You can eventually start crafting items. Stress healing items until you feel comfortable. The rest are mostly there for harder modes and hitting Platinum Ranks.

Explore each chapter. There's a lot of hidden stuff, including ravens that you need to collect (these fly away when you're near them so a lot of people never notice them) if you want to unlock stamps.

There's a bunch more. I'm sure others will fill in some that I left out.

Pseudoscorpion
Jul 26, 2011

I bought Dungeon of the Endless and I'm currently getting thrashed at it. I can't even get out of the first floor 80% of the time, usually getting owned on the way to the exit. Any tips?

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

So I'll ask. Anything for Valkyria Chronicles 1 that isn't already on the wiki?

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

paco650 posted:

I'm only a couple hours into the game, but maybe I can help:

-Play on Easy
-Terminal messages that have door codes in them are highlighted in your Log
-Don't be afraid to haul rear end from enemies; stealth turtling only goes so far
-Do be afraid at all other times
-Hacking the air conditioning gives you refreshing spring mist action, does not conceal you from murderous crazies, rampaging androids, xenomorphs.

Yeah i'm on easy mode and have only had maybe a half dozen annoying deaths. I don't know how anyone would want to play on hard and add 4-6 hours to the length of the game on reloads.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

GrandpaPants posted:

If anything the wiki has probably too much stuff, or at least stuff that's kind of obvious.

FluxFaun
Apr 7, 2010

Icewind Dale? I've played Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, but I'm wondering if there's anything specific that I should know.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

GrandpaPants posted:

There are two out of place difficult gotcha levels at around the midpoint of the game. The first will feature you attempting to take on a giant tank and the second you capture and hold a base while enemies attack from all sides.

For the former level you'll want to destroy the tank asap while still moving your soldiers from their starting positions instead of relying on a speedy one to do it all. For the later instead of capturing the solitary and basically undefended camp move your best tank killers to the bottom of the gorge to the edge of the map then capture the base. On your turn nuke the tank from behind to end the slog before it can start

Selane
May 19, 2006

Nate RFB posted:

If anything the wiki has probably too much stuff, or at least stuff that's kind of obvious.

No way, a lot of stuff on there is really useful, check out these gems:

- For some reason, the evil lady has large breasts. No one really knows why.

- Listening to Cherry never really gets old.

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Sociopastry posted:

Icewind Dale? I've played Neverwinter Nights and Baldur's Gate, but I'm wondering if there's anything specific that I should know.

IWD is very combat centric and tends to favor power gaming. Don't feel bad about cheesing, the game won't take it easy on you.

ahobday
Apr 19, 2007

Selane posted:

No way, a lot of stuff on there is really useful, check out these gems:

- For some reason, the evil lady has large breasts. No one really knows why.

- Listening to Cherry never really gets old.

I have removed these tips from the wiki.

im cute
Sep 21, 2009

Sociopastry posted:

The first IWD uses 2nd Ed. rules while IWD2 uses 3rd Ed.; different things will be brokenly OP in each edition so go for whichever one is a better fit for you. Or try them both!

Would recommend taking along at least the one diplomatic character in addition to 5 fully min-maxed asskickers. Sticking diplomacy/persuasion/intimidate/etc. on a single Rogue is usually a good choice.

Covering your bases class and damage-wise is a smart move, though you'll probably be tooling them toward "meat shield" or "glass cannon" roles by the end. Stay away from gimmick classes and builds that lack chutzpah.

Random Hajile
Aug 25, 2003

paco650 posted:

Would recommend taking along at least the one diplomatic character in addition to 5 fully min-maxed asskickers. Sticking diplomacy/persuasion/intimidate/etc. on a single Rogue is usually a good choice.
On that same note, isn't IWD or IWD2 the game where it's a terrible idea to use a Paladin as your diplomatic character?

Kenny Logins
Jan 11, 2011

EVERY MORNING I WAKE UP AND OPEN PALM SLAM A WHITE WHALE INTO THE PEQUOD. IT'S HELL'S HEART AND RIGHT THEN AND THERE I STRIKE AT THEE ALONGSIDE WITH THE MAIN CHARACTER, ISHMAEL.

paco650 posted:

The first IWD uses 2nd Ed. rules while IWD2 uses 3rd Ed.
Thanks for mentioning this, by the way. I seem to have remembered that both used 3rd ed. Might wait on the expanded edition for the sequel in that case. Does one need to play IWD1 to get the most out of the sequel, though?

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.

Random Hajile posted:

On that same note, isn't IWD or IWD2 the game where it's a terrible idea to use a Paladin as your diplomatic character?
I think IWD 2 had at least one instance of me turning in some side quest with a Paladin and having no dialogue option of accepting a reward because he was so goddamn noble.

Kenny Logins posted:

Thanks for mentioning this, by the way. I seem to have remembered that both used 3rd ed. Might wait on the expanded edition for the sequel in that case. Does one need to play IWD1 to get the most out of the sequel, though?
I'm sure there are references to the first game's events, but as far as I understand the stories aren't really related. At any rate, I never played the first one but I always enjoyed IWD 2 just fine.

Although the game's even more combat oriented and linear than BG, I found the story in IWD 2 pretty well done, once you get into the background a bit.

Wheezer
Apr 4, 2011

Fat Samurai posted:

I started playing Monster Hunter Freedom Unite in my tablet yesterday, controls are surprisingly good. What isn't as good is that even the easier quests are kicking my rear end.

Besides "get better", I mean.

Get better. On a more serious note, it will take a while getting used to the difficulty and style of Monster Hunter games.

First, training school is not for training. It's for trying out new/quirky weapon and eq combos. You can 100% it to get a few special pieces of stuff much later on.

Second, the vendors sell consumables and combineable items but no useful gear. You make the stuff by grinding out quests and carving bosses for drops. You repeat as necessary. Your first priority is a weapon with a good bit of green sharpeness - that way your attacks won't bounce off of most low tier bosses.

Third, there are quests you must do to get the urgent quest to unlock your next tier. Wiki those and focus on unlocking. Some of the optional quests have boring bullshit grindy objectives with little reward.

Other general info in no specific order:
Bosses have weak zones. Usually you go for the head for the big damage, and for the tail to chop it off for extra damage. Note that blunt weapons like the hammer can't cut tails but can stun with head hits. Bosses also have specific weaknesses you can exploit. Sonic bombs fish out some burrowers, Rathalos stays bling for a long time after a flash bomb and so on.

Bosses show damage as broken claws/horns/cut tails and gashed stomachs. But know that you can only capture them after they start limping! Shock trap and two stun bombs result in a capture which is also a win in a kill mission! Capturing gives better rewards than killing, even if you count carves you miss!

If you want to do some damage without getting up in a monster's face, craft a pitfall trap, large barrel bombs and a barrel bomb+. Using yourself as bait, get the big monster to run in to the pit, then place two larges near it and set it off with the smaller bomb. You can only do this once/twice per mission, and the combo hits hard.

Ranged combat solo is hard in the beginning. Viable certainly, but shooty armor is weaker and as you aren't familiar with everything yet, you should try melee. Hammers, Great Swords and Long swords are what I recommend, but to each to their own.

As your sharpness drops so does your damage output! Always sharpen when safe and not maxed.

You have a few invincibility frames in your dash-jump. It looks ridiculous in the beginning, but it's mandatory with some weapons. You can't and shouldn't block everything, often it's correct to sheathe your weapon and dodge. In general, find the openings the bosses have and strike so you don't take damage.

There are a few difficulty spikes in the game. Yian Kut-Ku is the first real wyvern and moves like one. It also packs quite a punch. After you kill it you are set to kill quite a few monsters with little preparation. Khezu was terrible for me. It taught me to hit and run the hard way, and is quite tanky. After that you go until Tigrex and Diablos and their kin and get your rear end handed to you again. Then come the higher difficulties and G rank. By that time you will love the punishment that is Green Plesioth.

The farm exists to automate item farming. Use it for combine recipe items as much as you can. Picking up herbs and blue mushrooms for potions is tedious as the felyne farm gives those out. Get honey and get mega potions too!

Finally, you will want to upgrade your armor. To get a complete set from a monster you will need to hunt it several times. Skills trigger at 10, 15 and 20 points - you get nothing under the threshold! Get a set from the blue dino if you need to, then craft from Yian Kut-Ku later maybe Shogun Cenataur. An armor set with decent skills like sharpness and attack up will last you a long time, focus on getting better weapons.

Wheezer fucked around with this message at 22:29 on Nov 14, 2014

Ainsley McTree
Feb 19, 2004

Anything to know about Assassin's Creed: Rogue that I wouldn't know from playing dozens of hours of Black Flag?

GOTTA STAY FAI
Mar 24, 2005

~no glitter in the gutter~
~no twilight galaxy~
College Slice

GrandpaPants posted:

You can save during missions. I usually save when I think I'm about halfway done, or if I want to try something crazy. Loading your save takes you right back to your turn.

Eventually, your shocktroopers will gain the ability to use flamethrowers. They absolutely wreck enemies in a cone in front of them, even if they're in cover.

And listen to the suggestion on the wiki about avoiding taking units with the "Moody" trait. Most other negative traits aren't as bad as they sound--Chatty Cathy, for instance, can be fixed by moving the unit a few steps away from the idiot she's talking to. Keep an eye on the little status indicators as you move and you'll see how short the distance is.

ToxicFrog
Apr 26, 2008

King's Bounty: Crossworlds (specifically the Orcs on the March campaign that's an upgraded version of Armoured Princess)

I know KBCW has a bunch of balance changes relative to KBTL, so how much of the stuff on the wiki for KBTL still applies?

Also, are Paladins still hardmode? I played a Mage in KBTL and found them to be easy but also boring as poo poo, since in the late game they turn into "spam your most powerful attack spells, wait for your tiny army to plink the survivors to death, run around in circles until your mana recharges", so I was planning to try a different character class this time around.

csm141
Jul 19, 2010

i care, i'm listening, i can help you without giving any advice
Pillbug
Divinity: Original Sin?

SolidSnakesBandana
Jul 1, 2007

Infinite ammo

Chief Savage Man posted:

Divinity: Original Sin?

I recommend looking up what the companions have skill-wise, and creating your characters around that.

Summon spells are extremely useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. Quarex
Apr 18, 2003

I'M A BIG DORK WHO POSTS TOO MUCH ABOUT CONVENTIONS LOOK AT THIS

TOVA TOVA TOVA

ToxicFrog posted:

King's Bounty: Crossworlds (specifically the Orcs on the March campaign that's an upgraded version of Armoured Princess)

I know KBCW has a bunch of balance changes relative to KBTL, so how much of the stuff on the wiki for KBTL still applies?

Also, are Paladins still hardmode? I played a Mage in KBTL and found them to be easy but also boring as poo poo, since in the late game they turn into "spam your most powerful attack spells, wait for your tiny army to plink the survivors to death, run around in circles until your mana recharges", so I was planning to try a different character class this time around.
I have never played a magic-primary type in any of the new King's Bounty games, but if anything magic HAS to be getting worse with each new game, as they continue adding more and more ludicrous extracurricular kinda-magic abilities (the baby dragon in Armored Princess/Crossworlds, the Rage Valkyries in Warriors of the North, not sure about Dark Side yet since I have not played it). So no, Mage is probably "hard mode" in that game. Or "anything not using the baby dragon" is hard mode.

Otherwise I imagine a lot of the general King's Bounty suggestions would still apply; the main changes are adding new elements, and the extant stuff changes minimally between games.