Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
Alan Pardew did nothing wrong when he slept with his player's wives.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
What happens if his appeal is upheld and he is found innocent?

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack

serious gaylord posted:

Hashtag activism

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.
I'll admit I haven't followed this story too closely but looking at the pictures of the two supposed perpetrators, Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald, I get the feeling that there might be more to the story than what we know. Evans is a good looking guy, looks like he could be my brother or close friend and honestly doesn't seem like a bad guy and I think he might've just taken a joke too far, maybe even got goaded into it by Clayton. We all know about peer pressure. Call it a hunch really, and although I've read some transcripts and Clayton is surprisingly articulate (for a footballer) there's something about him that just screams agressor, animalistic urges, violence. Anyway I'm sure most of you know more about this than I do, just had to give my 2 cents.

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
lol

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Mean Bean Machine posted:

I'll admit I haven't followed this story too closely but looking at the pictures of the two supposed perpetrators, Ched Evans and Clayton McDonald, I get the feeling that there might be more to the story than what we know. Evans is a good looking guy, looks like he could be my brother or close friend and honestly doesn't seem like a bad guy and I think he might've just taken a joke too far, maybe even got goaded into it by Clayton. We all know about peer pressure. Call it a hunch really, and although I've read some transcripts and Clayton is surprisingly articulate (for a footballer) there's something about him that just screams agressor, animalistic urges, violence. Anyway I'm sure most of you know more about this than I do, just had to give my 2 cents.

heh

Shrapnig
Jan 21, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

Remy, Benzema, Ribery, Ronald, Jonny Evans and all their friends come down for a big party.

TelekineticBear!
Feb 19, 2009

Mean Bean Machine posted:

lol

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

That's enough! Out of here, you tubs of beer!

Popehoist posted:

Ched Evans has the right to be employed in his profession and any football club has the right to refuse him a job b/c of his lovely history, is basically what I feel.

It just comes down to this. The club will hire players based not just on ability, but also based on how players reflect on the club. That's where the 'position of influence', 'public profile' stuff comes in. Nothing to do with Ched Evans's rights. He's served his time and can and should be able to apply for any job he wants.

If he was more aware of his position in the public eye, he probably would have come out of prison contrite, humble and possibly donating to or otherwise show support for a victims of rape charity or whatever, or at least pretend to. This would have helped make himself more employable in his chosen profession of football player with a public profile, whose career is in many ways dependent on the public's opinion of him.

He didn't and now possible employers find it hard to convince their club's fans that he should in any way represent their club.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Ched Evans is innocent and she wrote a tweet about making big bucks from the case - but those tweets were dismissed by the British police who otherwise loves using tweets as evidence? Coincidence? I think not. *tips fedora*

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Lenin Riefenstahl posted:

If he was more aware of his position in the public eye, he probably would have come out of prison contrite, humble and possibly donating to or otherwise show support for a victims of rape charity or whatever, or at least pretend to. This would have helped make himself more employable in his chosen profession of football player with a public profile, whose career is in many ways dependent on the public's opinion of him.

He didn't and now possible employers find it hard to convince their club's fans that he should in any way represent their club.

It's the "innocent" man's dilemma. He might genuinely believe himself innocent, but admitting guilt would (people assume, I doubt tbh) get him better treatment. People have stayed in prison for life rather than confess to something they didn't do in exchange for freedom.

It's unethical to condemn someone based on refusal to admit guilt and pay a bunch of money to women's charities. It's perfectly fine to convict him if the courts are sure it happened. Becoming a spokesperson for 'don't rape, kids' wasn't part of his sentence.

Chocolate Teapot
May 8, 2009

sassassin posted:

It's the "innocent" man's dilemma. He might genuinely believe himself innocent, but admitting guilt would (people assume, I doubt tbh) get him better treatment. People have stayed in prison for life rather than confess to something they didn't do in exchange for freedom..

Typically these are people arrested for being political enemies than laddish rapists

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

Yeah, there isn't an ideal solution either way, and he's taken his course and it leads to results that are pretty predictable given the social/public nature of his profession.

He doesn't think himself guilty and acts accordingly and the public take him as guilty, as he was sentenced by a court, and act accordingly.

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

What's the actual basis of his appeal? Is it just that she was actually able to consent?

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Still B.A.E posted:

What's the actual basis of his appeal? Is it just that she was actually able to consent?

That she supposedly tried to sell the story to a paper.

Which, incidentally, is how Johnny Evans had his case dismissed in a very similar situation.

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Was the story she tried to sell "I was raped by a footballer" because I don't see how that helps his case at all tbh

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord
If Ched Evans had a single ounce of self respect the least he would do is properly and sincerely apologize to the girl in question for the entire way the ordeal happened. His own version of events is so absolutely horrible that when he released that pathetic video after he completed his sentence I lost any kind of sympathy for him. He seems to think he's some kind of victim when by his own account he is a predatory rapist. If anything he should be grateful that he only had to spend 2 and half years in prison for his actions.

Charlotte Hornets
Dec 30, 2011

by Fritz the Horse

Flayer posted:

If Ched Evans had a single ounce of self respect the least he would do is properly and sincerely apologize to the girl in question for the entire way the ordeal happened. His own version of events is so absolutely horrible that when he released that pathetic video after he completed his sentence I lost any kind of sympathy for him. He seems to think he's some kind of victim when by his own account he is a predatory rapist. If anything he should be grateful that he only had to spend 2 and half years in prison for his actions.

His version of the events is that he and his mate had a romp with a willing drunk girl, all backed by his mate. Her version is that she woke up at 12 am in a pool of her own piss in a hotel with no recollection of what happened in the past 10 hours. There's no neutral witness in this case, so how can you state that his version is absolutely horrible.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY
How was his friend acquitted, anyway?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

He doesn't think himself guilty and acts accordingly and the public take him as guilty, as he was sentenced by a court, and act accordingly.

Unfortunately the public seem to being taking him as guilty and having got away with it, and seek to punish him further as if sentence wasn't passed and carried out to the satisfaction of the court.

See earlier posters who believe Ched playing football again would be a tacit endorsement of rape by society, and 2 and a half years in prison and a lifetime on the sex offenders registry isn't a message of condemnation at all.

Psybro
May 12, 2002
I don't give a poo poo if Ched plays football again, it's not like a thick bastard like him is going to get a job doing anything else. It's the prospect of being re-employed by the same club he was at when the offence took place that sends a poor message.

At the very least it makes United look absolutely pathetic allowing themselves to be pariahs in the public eye for a player with one good season and two years without playing under his belt.

Lenin Riefenstahl
Sep 18, 2003

sassassin posted:

Unfortunately the public seem to being taking him as guilty and having got away with it, and seek to punish him further as if sentence wasn't passed and carried out to the satisfaction of the court.

See earlier posters who believe Ched playing football again would be a tacit endorsement of rape by society, and 2 and a half years in prison and a lifetime on the sex offenders registry isn't a message of condemnation at all.

The further punishment here is just the public's reaction to his stance in the matter, which is that he doesn't see himself as guilty. So the public reaction, taking him to have been guilty, is to say that they do not want him involved with their club, and that he's a prick for not seeing the error of his ways and take responsibility for a bad thing he did.

If he had a strong case against the justice system for finding him guilty, then the conversation wouldn't be so one sided against him, but he doesn't appear to have much.

Hegay
Jun 29, 2012

Why would he admit guilt and apologize to her when he thinks he's innocent lol

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

The further punishment here is just the public's reaction to his stance in the matter,

I don't think this is true. My impression is it's just one log on the bonfire and he'd be burning just as bad without it.

'Everyone fine with Sheffield United signing apologetic rapist' is not a headline I can imagine reading.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

sassassin posted:

I'd hate any of these players playing for my club as well

blue footed boobie posted:

How was his friend acquitted, anyway?

I think it was decided that as his mate had walked into the hotel with her and been seen by a bunch of staff and was also drunk(?) it was seen as consenting. Evans went around after getting a text and had to tell a lie to get access to the room

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

Do you think people should be allowed to not want him employed by a given football club?

If so then why are you arguing so hard against it?
If not, then why shouldn't people be able to voice their opinion on the topic and make their own choices on the matter?

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

I'd hate any of these players playing for my club as well

Hating him is fine.

Being terrified his appearance on tv might bring down society by endorsing rape culture is not.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Do you think people should be allowed to not want him employed by a given football club? If so then why are you arguing when that's what's happening? If not, then why not?

I don't think the people demanding he disappear forever from public life have the moral high ground, and are mostly just scaremongering idiots with no faith in the justice system or humanity in general.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!

sassassin posted:

I don't think the people demanding he disappear forever from public life have the moral high ground, and are mostly just scaremongering idiots with no faith in the justice system or humanity in general.

So you think people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion?

Flayer
Sep 13, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
Buglord

Hegay posted:

Why would he admit guilt and apologize to her when he thinks he's innocent lol
By his own defence Ched Evans is a confessed rapist - https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

If you read his defence you'll see he had two of his friends filming him raping the girl through the hotel room window (please don't pretend he had no knowledge of this). You'll also notice that he warned the hotel porter that the girl in the room was sick after he raped her and left, despite him also claiming that the girl was wide awake and not at all compromised mentally.

It's quite clear he turned up at a hotel to have sex with some random drunk girl his mate had picked up with no concern to whether she consented to have sex with him or not. It's predatory behaviour. He doesn't even claim to have any social interaction with the girl apart from a couple of lines where he conveniently claims she consented to sex.

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth

MrL_JaKiri posted:

So you think people shouldn't be allowed to voice their opinion?

They can. But their opinion is wrong, and I'm allowed to voice my objection to it.

Funny how that works.

edit: Actually no, I don't think MPs should be able to voice that kind of opinion, given their position of authority.

sassassin fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Nov 16, 2014

Still B.A.E
Mar 24, 2012

Flayer posted:

By his own defence Ched Evans is a confessed rapist - https://www.crimeline.info/case/r-v-ched-evans-chedwyn-evans

If you read his defence you'll see he had two of his friends filming him raping the girl through the hotel room window (please don't pretend he had no knowledge of this). You'll also notice that he warned the hotel porter that the girl in the room was sick after he raped her and left, despite him also claiming that the girl was wide awake and not at all compromised mentally.

It's quite clear he turned up at a hotel to have sex with some random drunk girl his mate had picked up with no concern to whether she consented to have sex with him or not. It's predatory behaviour. He doesn't even claim to have any social interaction with the girl apart from a couple of lines where he conveniently claims she consented to sex.

I think it was McDonald who spoke to the porter, Ched snuck out a fire exit.

Pantsuit
Oct 28, 2013

sassassin posted:

Hating him is fine.

Being terrified his appearance on tv might bring down society by endorsing rape culture is not.

it won't bring down society, it'll just be society functioning as normal.

stickyfngrdboy
Oct 21, 2010
I thought 'rape culture' was a thing invented by Twitter and isn't actually a thing in normal society, but maybe I'm out of the loop.

blue footed boobie
Sep 14, 2012

UEFA SUPREMACY

Jose posted:

I think it was decided that as his mate had walked into the hotel with her and been seen by a bunch of staff and was also drunk(?) it was seen as consenting. Evans went around after getting a text and had to tell a lie to get access to the room

Haha what the gently caress? Thats ridiculous. Of course Evans wont admit guilt.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

St Evan Echoes posted:

Was the story she tried to sell "I was raped by a footballer" because I don't see how that helps his case at all tbh

I imagine it was another 'I had a sex with married footballer' story. Again, this is exactly what happened to Johnny Evans. Not saying this is the case here, but the latest statement from the CPS was that they are hearing the appeal based on a serious miscarriage of justice which is normally only trotted out when the evidence has been tampered with or there was a bent copper involved.

Ched Evans was sent down during a period where it seemed like a footballer was getting hooked for rape every weekend. He was the only one convicted.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

blue footed boobie posted:

Haha what the gently caress? Thats ridiculous. Of course Evans wont admit guilt.

I'm not sure why its that ridiculous. Remember Evans also got a couple of mates to film him having sex with her through the window

dex_sda
Oct 11, 2012

All I want to know is how does a drunk dude picking up a drunk bird end up being a gangrape with two people watching from behind the window

Gigi Galli
Sep 19, 2003

and then the car turned in to fire

dex_sda posted:

All I want to know is how does a drunk dude picking up a drunk bird end up being a gangrape with two people watching from behind the window

Lad culture

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sassassin
Apr 3, 2010

by Azathoth
I always film my crimes. What's the point if you're not going to film it?