Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

You can also catch the boomerang if it's thrown at you if you push the item button at just the right time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.
There are right and wrong times to use Bullet Bill. It never takes shortcuts, and often takes a somewhat meandering route even then. It'll rarely make you slower overall, but you can get much better results if you use it right.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

You can also catch the boomerang if it's thrown at you if you push the item button at just the right time.

Are you making GBS threads me. This is a joke to make me get hit by more boomerangs right?

Awesome if true. I need to see to believe.

wafflemoose
Apr 10, 2009

I feel like the star got nerfed badly. It barely increases your top speed and the duration of it is too drat short, and you're often in the back of pack when you do get it for it to really matter.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

It's still super effective if you use it right, say to take a shortcut or to avoid getting hit. Though you will feel stupid when you get hit by lightning while holding a starman.

Narcissus1916
Apr 29, 2013

When did they nerf starman? I played mario kart 64 at a party last night, and it was a stiff remidner how godly it used to be. Now its a midtier hooray for you item.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

Narcissus1916 posted:

When did they nerf starman? I played mario kart 64 at a party last night, and it was a stiff remidner how godly it used to be. Now its a midtier hooray for you item.

I don't know why they nerfed Starman either. It took me some getting used to.

Starman used to let you go faster than you could normally drive under your own power, not slow down when going over rough terrain, invincible to all hazards (items), and you wipe out anyone you touch.

To me, the super speed Starman gave you was its best feature. Now, all Starman does is max out your acceleration with respect to speed. So, you can go from 0 to max speed almost instantly, but that's weaksauce really. I miss the old Starman too. Starman used to be "OK let's go!" and when I am using my Starman and am unable to smash into others because they are going to same speed as I am (or faster) something is wrong.

Maybe it was too easy to abuse Starman online if you're a jerk player so they nerfed it.

The new meta for Starman isn't "let's go fast and run into people" it is "use this chance to go off road for shortcuts while there is no slowdown."

Spectacle Rock fucked around with this message at 14:54 on Nov 16, 2014

RyokoTK
Feb 12, 2012

I am cool.

Spectacle Rock posted:

I don't know why they nerfed Starman either. It took me some getting used to.

Starman used to let you go faster than you could normally drive under your own power, not slow down when going over rough terrain, invincible to all hazards (items), and you wipe out anyone you touch.

It still does all four of these things, though.

Spectacle Rock
May 24, 2013

RyokoTK posted:

It still does all four of these things, though.

Starman does NOT modify your top speed beyond normal means. All it does it make you go as fast as if you had "10 coins" even if you don't have 10 coins.

In this sense, the mushroom is a better item for speed enhancement.

I normally have 10 coins anyway, so I hit the Starman and expect to start going faster but nothing changes :(

forpush
Jan 6, 2006

We don't like it when the city light start fading
When the city lights fading then we can't get down
I do like that red shells skip people ahead of you who have star power

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

irlZaphod posted:

Also Bullet Bill sucks because if you get him, it means you're doing bad.

Eh, bullet bill can be gotten in second place in Frantic mode. poo poo's hilarious when it does happen.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

Um the fire flower and the boomerang own

Also Bullet Bill sucks because if you get him, it means you're doing bad.

One time I got bullet bill while in second place

it was weird

Manic_Misanthrope
Jul 1, 2010

No matter what position i'm in I will never get a bullet bill while everyone else around me gets 1 a race.

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
You're in fifth place? Here's a mushroom. Hope you don't mind if fourth place gets three of them.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.

Narcissus1916 posted:

It got nerfed in 7. It used to be really good before then. Now it's a decent, but not an amazing item.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
Bullet Bill is great. Easily punts you up a few places.

No matter how good you are you'll always spend some time in the lower half of the pack at times because... that's Mario Kart. If you never had a race where you've gone from 1st to 12th because of a combination of pure bullshit then you're very lucky

Millionth time this has been posted, but it is is mariokart.gif

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

There's nothing like getting to do a full victory lap after coming in first on SNES Rainbow Road to make you feel like a boss.

They got their revenge though. About to jump the corner on the final turn to steal first place on Wario's Gold Mine and I took three red shells and a lightning bolt. C'est la Mario Kart.

I hope they fix the video uploads soon. I want to make gifs of all my embarrassing moments.

Yomtom
Aug 9, 2005

Sup?
I know it's Mario Kart and random items and all that entails but getting single mushrooms and green shells in 11th is kind of silly :geno:

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Link on the Master Cycle is like God Mode. I struggled with this game when I first got it, but I just 3 starred everything on 100cc with no trouble.

DarthBlingBling
Apr 19, 2004

These were also dark times for gamers as we were shunned by others for being geeky or nerdy and computer games were seen as Childs play things, during these dark ages the whispers began circulating about a 3D space combat game called Elite

- CMDR Bald Man In A Box
100cc?! Come on dude, step it up

Kissing Dad
May 27, 2004

irlZaphod posted:

Link on the Master Cycle is like God Mode. I struggled with this game when I first got it, but I just 3 starred everything on 100cc with no trouble.

Not to laugh at you, but....lol

You're better than this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

irlZaphod posted:

100cc is what you do when you want to run through the track once to learn it. Then after that one time and you've gotten those three stars you move up to proper racing.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
Last night in online play we had a choice between Wario's Gold Mine, wario Stadium, and Dry Dry Desert.

One person picked Dry Dry Desert. It didn't land on that (it landed on Stadium) but man, what the hell was wrong with that guy.

DarthBlingBling posted:

100cc?! Come on dude, step it up

Yeah when I first got this game I felt like 150cc was way too hard and 100cc was actually a decent challenge but when I played 100cc in single player to try out the new tracks I was like "Man 100cc is way too easy."

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

I just ran into something odd. Maybe it was super lag (the player was the entire planet away from me in Australia) but it was really weird. I hit the guy with a green shell and as he's in the damage flip his boost goes off and he shoots off at full speed when he landed. His item was a green shell as well so it's not like he used a mushroom. Was that lag or can you use your drift boost to get out of the damage stop?

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
Always play on regional

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

I stopped playing worldwide matches because of all the infuriating network fuckery. Regional obviously isn't perfect, but it's way better.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

Nolgthorn posted:

Always play on regional

Look at this wimp, can't handle the Japanese players

21 Hoot Salute
Feb 8, 2005

Night-time, turn around
Lonely is the city tonight
Night-time, all around
Lonely in the city tonight

Whenever I join regional I end up in rooms of about 3-4 people. It's not like I'm in a desolate scarce wasteland, just Canada.

...not that bad of a desolate scarce wasteland.

But eh, the random glitches don't bug me since they are rare enough for me. If Baby Mario wants to win bad enough he ignores his life threatening broken bone injuries via a large green shell to not slow down and continue towards the finish line, he can have it.

21 Hoot Salute fucked around with this message at 04:19 on Nov 17, 2014

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
The one missed opportunity on that F-Zero track is that they didn't replace Lakitu with that weird cyborg head from F-Zero X.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story
I keep wanting to hear that robot voice from F-Zero X do the countdown in Mute City but it never happens and I'm always disappointed.

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Twelve by Pies posted:

I keep wanting to hear that robot voice from F-Zero X do the countdown in Mute City but it never happens and I'm always disappointed.

WOW! YOU'RE RIGHT OUT IN FRONT!

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

You got booster!

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

pokeyman posted:

You got booster!

It's "Boost Power", sir.

Rocketlex
Oct 21, 2008

The Manliest Knight
in Caketown
You do get a little boost every time you complete a lap. I assumed it was a reference to that.

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Rocketlex posted:

You do get a little boost every time you complete a lap. I assumed it was a reference to that.

Yep, though I was never sure what the announcer was actually saying, so I went for my dorkiest-sounding guess.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Random Stranger posted:

It seems like every time I get an 8 lately there's always someone right next to me to bump into the inevitable bomb so it triggers instantly nailing us both. I hate bombs.
I used the horn to trigger someone else's 8 at the weekend and then drove off into the distance:

https://vine.co/v/O5JVQrqQriL

:cool:

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

Beautiful!

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Random Stranger posted:

100cc is what you do when you want to run through the track once to learn it. Then after that one time and you've gotten those three stars you move up to proper racing.
Well that's the point really, when I stopped playing the game 6 months ago or whenever, I'd only 3 starred a couple of cups, so I figured I'd go through them again to re-familiarise myself with the tracks. I just found that with Link on the Master Cycle, I did it with no trouble, while I obviously had trouble when the game first came out. I just don't think I ever settled on a driver/vehicle combination that I liked.

its curtains for Kevin
Nov 14, 2011

Fruit is proof that the gods exist and love us.

Just kidding!

Life is meaningless

Cat Machine posted:

I used the horn to trigger someone else's 8 at the weekend and then drove off into the distance:

https://vine.co/v/O5JVQrqQriL

:cool:

Slo mo Bomb gifs are my favorite.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Rocketlex posted:

In the original F-zero most of the finishing lines were boosters. And since it's mute city I also assumed it was going for the feel of the original rather than the later ones!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
When are we getting a kart that looks like a mini semi truck NINTENDO

• Locked thread