Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mmmhm, and where do you see yourself in a year's time? This answer is timed, by the way.

Uhh... Doing the miqote white mage in coliseum gear?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LordNat
May 16, 2009
This just makes me think I really do need to make that MMORPG version of Linkedin. Give people a easy way to check your MMO history and connections.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
What should I be grabbing for Ninja aside from B4B and Internal Release? Right now I'm thinking in addition to those I'll use Invigorate, Featherfoot, and Keen Flurry but I dunno if Haymaker is nice with Perfect Dodge cheesing or if I should grab Second Wind because I'm made out of paper or what.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
For everyone that recoiled at that Novus from earlier, I should have taken a picture of a bard one I saw. It had the worst dump stats ever in it. I think piety might even have been one. It was legendarily awful.

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Robo Reagan posted:

What should I be grabbing for Ninja aside from B4B and Internal Release? Right now I'm thinking in addition to those I'll use Invigorate, Featherfoot, and Keen Flurry but I dunno if Haymaker is nice with Perfect Dodge cheesing or if I should grab Second Wind because I'm made out of paper or what.

Invig, B4B, IR, Second Wind, Keen Flurry.

B4B/Invig/IR should all be obvious, SW is a great burst heal, Keen Flurry is actually quite powerful on dex jobs where you'll be taking burst physical damage (T8 Brainjack duty, T9 Meteor Streams).

Haymaker, Impulse Drive and Feint are hilariously garbage, Mantra is pretty much worthless without the monk trait.

Vil
Sep 10, 2011

Robo Reagan posted:

Invigorate, Blood for Blood, Internal Release, and your choice of two off-GCD things to help you survive taking damage (Featherfoot, Second Wind, Mantra, Keen Flurry).

e: I would tend to agree with ^ for the reasons listed.

Meiteron
Apr 4, 2008

Whoa! You're gonna be a legend!

Leal posted:

Do I need to scrub my facebook before applying for an interview for a mmo group? Do I need to make a mmo resume and do they judge you based on font and quality of paper?

These are all meaningless questions, really.

I mean, when we have a position to be filled in the real raiding groups we don't really look at the resumes, now would we? Job demand is off the charts we get a dozen of those things every day.

No, we just talk to friends who know people. It's all networking. No one gets a job with just blind applications.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
I put Dragoon first on my resume and it's also written in Comic Sans.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

Kwyndig posted:

Yeah same here. I'm on 8.1 and have never had crash issues.

I'm on 8.1 but I've had problems with pretty much any high-end game I tried to run despite supposedly having the box to run them all without breaking a sweat. After countless hours of searching I discovered that underclocking my GPU could give me more stability and allowed me to play games like Diablo 3 for hours where they just straight up crashed my system before. I was using that to do FF14 as well but it still crashed when anything stressful started happening. Turns out I just wasn't underclocking it enough. I found a place recommending taking it all the way down to -105 on both the base clock and memory clock. I tried those settings against a game that always crashes on startup on my system (Bioshock Infinite) and wonder of wonders it worked just fine. So I guess Windows 8.1 just needed me to keep my raging GPU on a tighter leash or something. Whatever, as long as it works now.

Sidesaddle Cavalry
Mar 15, 2013

Oh Boy Desert Map
Whoever subscribed after taking my RAF code, thank you very much! Also, enjoy the feather!

Grimarest
Jan 28, 2009

Happy Blue Cow posted:

2GSHZD4F thank you goon! godspeed! Let me know your name in-game so I can help get you started!

MNK is amazingly strong, very fun, and perfect if you want to punch things to death.

From a while ago but my character is Thin Privilege :).
I rolled on Exodus because I couldn't get into Excalibur even trying to create at 3am EST.

I just hit 15 on my Pugilist, is rogue -> ninja fun for a newb? I've always like playing rogue/thief in pretty much every MMO ever.

Eej
Jun 17, 2007

HEAVYARMS
3AM EST is way too early, that's only midnight PST. Now 6-7AM EST is a much better time.

Ciaphas
Nov 20, 2005

> BEWARE, COWARD :ovr:

Grimarest posted:

From a while ago but my character is Thin Privilege :).
I rolled on Exodus because I couldn't get into Excalibur even trying to create at 3am EST.

I just hit 15 on my Pugilist, is rogue -> ninja fun for a newb? I've always like playing rogue/thief in pretty much every MMO ever.

It seems to be the best melee DPS as far as damage output at 50 right now, and in my opinion is also the most fun. Very high skill ceiling, though, kind of easy to gently caress up.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009

kirbysuperstar posted:

Mmmhm, and where do you see yourself in a year's time? This answer is timed, by the way.

loving your w- catgirl. poo poo

VV More fat shaming that only an Eastern developer can achieve.

Leal fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 16, 2014

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
Not sure when these are being added, but hot drat am I getting them the second they are

http://xivdb.com/?item/9460/Fat-Chocobo-Head
http://xivdb.com/?item/7544/Spriggan-Cap

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Getsuya posted:

I'm on 8.1 but I've had problems with pretty much any high-end game I tried to run despite supposedly having the box to run them all without breaking a sweat. After countless hours of searching I discovered that underclocking my GPU could give me more stability and allowed me to play games like Diablo 3 for hours where they just straight up crashed my system before. I was using that to do FF14 as well but it still crashed when anything stressful started happening. Turns out I just wasn't underclocking it enough. I found a place recommending taking it all the way down to -105 on both the base clock and memory clock. I tried those settings against a game that always crashes on startup on my system (Bioshock Infinite) and wonder of wonders it worked just fine. So I guess Windows 8.1 just needed me to keep my raging GPU on a tighter leash or something. Whatever, as long as it works now.

That sounds less like an 8.1 problem and more like a GPU problem.

I advise giving the card a once over, checking to make sure that the card is properly seated, PCI power plugs are fully seated, fans aren't dead, removing heatsink and reapplying thermal paste to the GPU, that sort of thing.

Or, the card just might be suffocated and need more fresh air.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

That sounds less like an 8.1 problem and more like a GPU problem.

I advise giving the card a once over, checking to make sure that the card is properly seated, PCI power plugs are fully seated, fans aren't dead, removing heatsink and reapplying thermal paste to the GPU, that sort of thing.

Or, the card just might be suffocated and need more fresh air.

Also uninstall the drivers and do a fresh install.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

TwistedNails posted:

Also uninstall the drivers and do a fresh install.

I assume this was the first thing they did. I like to imagine that people are smart like that, particularly if they've consulted The Go'Ogle for an answer to their problems first, instead of "we've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas!"

SwissArmyDruid fucked around with this message at 06:08 on Nov 16, 2014

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer
Have you tried turning it off and then back on again?

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

SwissArmyDruid posted:

I assume this was the first thing they did. I like to imagine that people are smart like that, particularly if they've consulted The Go'Ogle for an answer to their problems first, instead of "we've tried nothing, and we're all out of ideas!"

I assume nothing after helping the people I know with computer problems. I hope he gets it fixed.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

:gowron::m10:

Ridinspinnaz posted:

It is certainly a bit breezy in this here outfit.

This is from a few pages back, but holy poo poo, hello my exact clone!

Heavy Lobster posted:

This game owns a lot. :v:

That being said, there's no way to try on quest items (or compare them to your current gear, which is an enormous pain in the rear end when you're still questing for upgrades), but just embrace the goofiness of leveling gear. Also, keep up the marauding, because about a 40 levels and haircut later you'll end up pretty dang neat looking.

Alternatively, embrace the True Playstyle and use the selfie button + glamours as much as possible.

e: Level other classes so you can find true beauty in leveling gear all over again, organically.

Heavy Lobster fucked around with this message at 06:20 on Nov 16, 2014

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

I'm having too much fun with this name

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Heavy Lobster posted:

Also, keep up the marauding, because about a 40 levels and haircut later you'll end up pretty dang neat looking.

You might think they're kidding about the haircut. The haircut is actually essential.

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Doublestep posted:

I'm having too much fun with this name

Yeah, but now you're stuck being the prick in the 1.0 intro cutscene who saw himself and all his friends die horribly and be like "yeah that's the leve i want"

Doublestep
Sep 8, 2013

Keep on keeping on!

Heavy Lobster posted:

Yeah, but now you're stuck being the prick in the 1.0 intro cutscene who saw himself and all his friends die horribly and be like "yeah that's the leve i want"

:spergin: He sees the events in the intro cutscene through the Echo, and he finds them and recruits them into his party in the present. The lalafell, elezen, and roegadyn are all present in the 2.0 cinematic along with his party from the beginning of the cinematic

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bonewitch posted:

Friendly bit of advice: If you're applying to a FCoB static, you should probably not mention that you bought your T9 run at the end of the interview :psyduck:

So like.. are you dissapointed he didn't solo the fight or something? Is this like real life where you can't get a job until you've already had experience at a job? You could be the most fantasmo dragoon on earth, but if you weren't lucky enough to get into a static how are you beating T9 outside of trying party finder for weeks on end and hoping you somehow luck into a win?

Kaedric fucked around with this message at 11:03 on Nov 16, 2014

Heavy Lobster
Oct 24, 2010

Doublestep posted:

:spergin: He sees the events in the intro cutscene through the Echo, and he finds them and recruits them into his party in the present. The lalafell, elezen, and roegadyn are all present in the 2.0 cinematic along with his party from the beginning of the cinematic

:aaaaa:

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013

TwistedNails posted:

I assume nothing after helping the people I know with computer problems. I hope he gets it fixed.

Turns out the specific problem was that my GPU fan wasn't really doing its job. The same program I used for underclocking also has a fan control thing and once I set it to run constantly at 80% speed it worked like a charm. Considering I was able to run both of the final story dungeons with 8 people constantly slinging super flashy AoE attacks for something like 2.5 hours without a single crash I'd say that was the problem and the solution.

SwissArmyDruid
Feb 14, 2014

by sebmojo

Getsuya posted:

Turns out the specific problem was that my GPU fan wasn't really doing its job. The same program I used for underclocking also has a fan control thing and once I set it to run constantly at 80% speed it worked like a charm. Considering I was able to run both of the final story dungeons with 8 people constantly slinging super flashy AoE attacks for something like 2.5 hours without a single crash I'd say that was the problem and the solution.

:toot:

So it was thermal, after all. Best to give it a once over and check those other things I mentioned, and any fan curve settings you have.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Leal posted:

loving your w- catgirl. poo poo

ahem i'm a scholar tyvm

Angrymog
Jan 30, 2012

Really Madcats

So if I try to make a character on Excalibue it is worth refreshing the world list a few times, or is there no point trying again if it's still full at the refresh time?

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Getsuya posted:

Your GPU doesn't sound very healthy at all, you really need to look into finding a way to take it apart and replace the thermal material. Something is hosed up in there, the stock heatsink should be able to keep the GPU stable at its factory clocks unless you are on the surface of the sun.

Oneavi
Dec 10, 2011

Boxbot was head of security.

Kaedric posted:

So like.. are you dissapointed he didn't solo the fight or something? Is this like real life where you can't get a job until you've already had experience at a job? You could be the most fantasmo dragoon on earth, but if you weren't lucky enough to get into a static how are you beating T9 outside of trying party finder for weeks on end and hoping you somehow luck into a win?

Buying a clear is generally an indicator that someone wasn't skilled or determined enough to get a clear on their own. A FCoB static has no obligation to grab someone who could potentially be a liability when there are hundreds of other bodies to pick from.

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
On the other hand, if he's willing to pay money for a T9 clear, imagine how much he'd pay weekly to be in your FCoB static!

terrified of my bathroom
Jan 24, 2014

GAY BOATS

Kaedric posted:

I'd 100% rather have someone without a clear than someone who bought theirs. Hell, we weren't even looking for someone with a t9 clear, it was just a bonus because we know how hard the fight is without 8 dedicated players.

If you want to buy a clear whatever, its your money, but why would a progression group want someone who would rather pay to skip content instead of learning it?

DeathSandwich
Apr 24, 2008

I fucking hate puzzles.
Wow, Excalibur must really be full up now, I'm hitting login queues on Reduced Cholesterol at 8AM CST on a Sunday.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

bonewitch posted:

I'd 100% rather have someone without a clear than someone who bought theirs. Hell, we weren't even looking for someone with a t9 clear, it was just a bonus because we know how hard the fight is without 8 dedicated players.

If you want to buy a clear whatever, its your money, but why would a progression group want someone who would rather pay to skip content instead of learning it?

I was going to post something in defense of my situation of not being able to find a static, but it doesn't matter, there are no statics that run during my primetime, and I'll never make it to final coil anyways. :v:

I don't have the money to buy a clear, and there are no statics during Oceanic timezones on excalibur :rip:

Kaedric
Sep 5, 2000

bonewitch posted:

The mistake is thinking that buying a clear is you preferring to skip content than learn it. As I stated above, it is likely just a situation where the person was not lucky enough to get into a static, and it's a total crapshoot to try doing with party finder. Because T9 gates FCOB, you have to get it out of the way somehow, and it's actually semi likely that when applying for a static saying "oh I've never beat T9" is a bad thing.

I dunno, I'm just having flashbacks to when Titan Extreme was first released, and goons where making GBS threads on other players in FC who bought runs, which made zero sense to me. I was a tank at the time and I had that poo poo on autopilot, and it took me something like 85 parties to get it done in pubbiefinder because other people in the party were poo poo and would die constantly. That's kinda what I'm getting at I guess. You can play PERFECTLY, but you can't make the other people not die to landslides just by virtue of you being good at the game. So is that person now a worthless player because they got sick of doing titan pubbie runs for a month straight and bought the run? All the smugposting goons in FC seemed to think so.

MadFriarAvelyn
Sep 25, 2007

Kaedric posted:

The mistake is thinking that buying a clear is you preferring to skip content than learn it. As I stated above, it is likely just a situation where the person was not lucky enough to get into a static, and it's a total crapshoot to try doing with party finder. Because T9 gates FCOB, you have to get it out of the way somehow, and it's actually semi likely that when applying for a static saying "oh I've never beat T9" is a bad thing.

I dunno, I'm just having flashbacks to when Titan Extreme was first released, and goons where making GBS threads on other players in FC who bought runs, which made zero sense to me. I was a tank at the time and I had that poo poo on autopilot, and it took me something like 85 parties to get it done in pubbiefinder because other people in the party were poo poo and would die constantly. That's kinda what I'm getting at I guess. You can play PERFECTLY, but you can't make the other people not die to landslides just by virtue of you being good at the game. So is that person now a worthless player because they got sick of doing titan pubbie runs for a month straight and bought the run? All the smugposting goons in FC seemed to think so.

Why do you people put yourselves through this? Seriously. If you're not "lucky" enough to get into a static? Make your own. Instead of simply joining so many party finder groups expecting a carry, identify the good players you meet in those runs, and see if they're interested in forming a static. Slowly build up a crack team of people who can actually play the game and get along with each other and eventually get a static up and running that can actually clear content.

Throwing yourself to so many party finder groups and expecting success is a folly. Yeah, a lot of "smugposting" goons poo poo on you for it because they went through that effort to get to where they are now. Buying the run shows you're not willing to put in the same kind of effort, not just in learning the content, but in learning how to become a valuable team member.

In short, :gitgud:.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Well, you see, that requires the effort of actually interacting and cooperating with other human beings rather than just writing them off as terrible anonymous pubbies who are holding you back.

• Locked thread