Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Calaveron posted:

Not really. It says so at the end right there that they still haven't locked down how to fix the framerate issue.

At any rate, you gotta wonder why a Triple A game with an incredible budget that's been in development for years (their words) for new generation machines needs more than three patches in order to maybe make it playable at a decent level.
I mean it's been out for less than a week and they've released two patches in quick succession. What the gently caress developers.
Maybe I should be more amazed when a project by this many different developers around the world DOES launch fully functional.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
They pushed it out early for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I put the blame almost fully on the business portion of the company. There's lots of good stuff in the game, and it's ruined by a severe lack of polish.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

Rookersh posted:

Also this isn't mentioned in the game at all, only the comic that came with it, but they aren't actually Templars. Haythem was sent over to America to find the site, but around the same time he found it/invited Lee into the Order, he found out the guy that sent him from the beginning of the game murdered his dad/sold his sister off as a slave, so he went back and murdered every single Templar he knew about in the old world.

Eh, they were definitely still Templars, just a group of Templars that went more independent after a schism. Haytham himself proclaims that the Templars will always rise back up in his last conversation with Connor, so it's inaccurate to paint him as having turned his back on their way of doing things. It's more like he said "Well those guys were a bunch of dicks, my group will go be Templars the right way. Unity touches on this kind of infighting a bit as well.

I 100% agree that they need to keep important poo poo like this in the games, though. I don't mind if they want to expand and add details in their books, but ffs anything crucial needs to be in the drat game. Revelations had this problem too.

Daily Forecast
Dec 25, 2008

by R. Guyovich

Calaveron posted:

I mean it's been out for less than a week and they've released two patches in quick succession. What the gently caress developers.

To be fair I swear that every game these days has a day one patch. It just seems standard procedure anymore to release games unfinished, ship them, and then make a mad scramble to actually iron out everything in the last few weeks.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Daily Forecast posted:

To be fair I swear that every game these days has a day one patch. It just seems standard procedure anymore to release games unfinished, ship them, and then make a mad scramble to actually iron out everything in the last few weeks.

I'm trying to think of the last non-Nintendo game that was just shove it in the disc drive and press A to play.

(I don't think 3D World or Mario Kart 8 had day-one patches)

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Daily Forecast posted:

Games go gold up to like a month before they ship. The devs might as well spend as much time on fixes in that time as possible. That's not so much a problem as the console manufacturers letting busted-rear end games through cert so they can get games out before christmas.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
lol Unity app froze up and when I reloaded it all my progress was gone along with my money I bought using Uplay points, good job Ubi-Dooby-Soft

At least I managed to get one Nomad chest open!!!!! it was money

Daily Forecast posted:

Games have changed so god drat much in the past ten years. I can remember everyone being absolutely against pre-planned DLC. Now it's just part of the package. Games without season passes are outside the norm.

Now we're becoming null towards day-one patches and spotty games. You try something like this ten years ago there'd be rioting and pissing and crying. Now it's just "oh well, what're you gonna do?"

I mean, yeah it's good that devs can fix post-launch issues but it's so obvious they're now relying on patching to give themselves a big cushion around the launch window. And I don't think there's enough gumption at the consumer level to try to dissuade them from doing this sort of thing.

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 20:05 on Nov 16, 2014

Quixotic1
Jul 25, 2007

Where is Charles Lee? A friend of mines tries to justify the depiction of Charles Lee with his mustache-twirling evil and disheveled look after Charles Lee's induction into the new order by saying since the memories were Connor's viewpoint, they were biased and more embellished on purpose against Charles Lee. Since before Connors first encounter with Charles Lee, Charles Lee is a perfect gentleman to Haythem and the world at large. I suppose he could be right Charles Lee, but that's way to subtle an idea for Ubi writers me thinks. Case in point, Connor's irrational hatred towards Charles Lee even after Connor discovered it was Washington who did his tribe in and not Lee. In short; Give me Lee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFlq2SerGQ

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Daily Forecast posted:

That's more an issue with how it's become much easier to digitally distribute patches than it is to actually physically distribute software. At some point you need to send out a gold master, so the factory can make and package the game.

A Fancy 400 lbs posted:

They pushed it out early for Thanksgiving/Black Friday. I put the blame almost fully on the business portion of the company. There's lots of good stuff in the game, and it's ruined by a severe lack of polish.

I wouldn't really criticize the game for a lack of polish. I think Ubisoft managed to completely gently caress up their social integration efforts yet again. They completely hosed up Black Flag to the point where they only managed to get the social stuff working after like 3 months. The experience they were aiming for is suffering as a result.

Calaveron posted:

I'm trying to think of the last non-Nintendo game that was just shove it in the disc drive and press A to play.

(I don't think 3D World or Mario Kart 8 had day-one patches)

Super Smash Bros 3DS did.

Zachack
Jun 1, 2000

Hakkesshu posted:

Games go gold up to like a month before they ship. The devs might as well spend as much time on fixes in that time as possible. That's not so much a problem as the console manufacturers letting busted-rear end games through cert so they can get games out before christmas.

Being able to buy games digitally messes with the entire concept of gold. SM After Earth, Volgarr, Chariot, Pix, and Binding of Isaac worked the instant I downloaded them, but I don't know if there was furious patching the day before they went live on the Steam/XBL/PSN servers.

quote:

I wouldn't really criticize the game for a lack of polish. I think Ubisoft managed to completely gently caress up their social integration efforts yet again. They completely hosed up Black Flag to the point where they only managed to get the social stuff working after like 3 months. The experience they were aiming for is suffering as a result.
If the social integration stuff is causing problems with the game then that's a lack of polish. I realize that Ubisoft is all hot and bothered over cross-platform synergy and, granted, the (very) few times it's worked it's been nice to be able to use a single account for PC/iPad/Android/etc or the police chase minigame in Watchdogs, but if it's not working at launch then disable it and hide it away. I can't believe that there isn't some fairly easy flag within the code that could turn the blue chests into white or red ones.

Zachack fucked around with this message at 20:13 on Nov 16, 2014

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ayn rand hand job posted:

That's more an issue with how it's become much easier to digitally distribute patches than it is to actually physically distribute software. At some point you need to send out a gold master, so the factory can make and package the game.

Super Smash Bros 3DS did.

Yeah but Nintendo actually offered to let you download the patch a couple of days before just to save you time, which I don't think is a thing most developers let you do.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Come to think of it, does Sony have any frame rate requirements to get permission to publish for the PS4? If your game runs at under 15ps at all times, is it just on you to fix it or is Sony going to say something about it?

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

Yo, if you're in brooklynexpats PS 4 lljk group and want to Co op today EffEmmEll is accepting invites whenever they work. I got all white 5 star stuff mostly stealth.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Zachack posted:

Being able to buy games digitally messes with the entire concept of gold. SM After Earth, Volgarr, Chariot, Pix, and Binding of Isaac worked the instant I downloaded them, but I don't know if there was furious patching the day before they went live on the Steam/XBL/PSN servers.

Obviously digital-only games don't go gold, but they still have release dates set beforehand, and if they're on Steam they have to submit a build to Valve (though I don't know how long beforehand) which doesn't preclude something like a day 1 patch. Beyond Earth had a retail release so that still went gold, and the version they uploaded to the digital servers may or may not have had a day 1 patch included automatically, but that thing still exists.

Basically day 1 patches aren't the devil. Patches in general are a good thing. It's the fact that they're required to get the games into acceptable working/running conditions that's the problem and console manufacturers should not let that poo poo happen because that's why the cert process exists in the first place!

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 20:57 on Nov 16, 2014

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
Day one patches should be for minor blemishes that don't seriously affect the playability of the game. Stuff like graphical clipping, minor bugs that might affect 1 out of every few thousand players, etc.

Fader Movitz
Sep 25, 2012

Snus, snaps och saltlakrits
Why are all the poor french people speaking with irish accents in this game? Is there some reasoning behind that?

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
lets get back to the great stuff about unity:

desyncing cause stuff of nightmares is too much to handle

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

Fader Movitz posted:

Why are all the poor french people speaking with irish accents in this game? Is there some reasoning behind that?
Well, Ireland is geographically not so far from France...

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost
I spent like 2 or 3 minutes in a crowd waiting for a dude to show up so he could be "rewarded" for his efforts while a bunch of liberators were fighting with some guards in the corner of the square.

I eventually noticed that he was one of the guys in the fight. Then one of the NPCs killed him and the mission ended. :allears:

Real hurthling!
Sep 11, 2001

Fader Movitz posted:

ubisoft is dumb. They probably figured they'd pull a classic Roman times b movie trick and make all the voices British because that's what American audiences expect of historical drama. The sad part is they were probably getting french actors to fake british accents instead of just laying some appropriately nasal french accent tracks down.

chicagoans were speaking with canadian accents in watch dogs fer christs sakes.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

Fader Movitz posted:

My justification is because Deacon's running the simulation and he's British and he hates reading subtitles so he made everyone in France speak English and because he's vain he made them all sound British.

edit: My favorite thing is when someone pronounces a French place correctly and then immediate says "Paris" with a hissing S.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Fader Movitz posted:

You need a shorthand for distinguishing between different population classes based on their accents? Well you go to loving Britain. Same reason why every good, honorable person in Lord of the Rings speak Queen's English while the orcs and poo poo are all Cockney.

Gesadt
Jan 3, 2014
i dunno, having fake french accent just to sell its France, in case you werent aware, is equally silly. but maybe thats just me, as non native english speaker. outrageous french accent on the other hand would probably offset any tech issues Unity has

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
Gunna love it when the inevitable Asian AssCreed comes out and every Korean sounds just like a midwestern accountant.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

matrix ripoff posted:

My justification is because Deacon's running the simulation and he's British and he hates reading subtitles so he made everyone in France speak English and because he's vain he made them all sound British.

edit: My favorite thing is when someone pronounces a French place correctly and then immediate says "Paris" with a hissing S.

Hakkesshu posted:

You need a shorthand for distinguishing between different population classes based on their accents? Well you go to loving Britain. Same reason why every good, honorable person in Lord of the Rings speak Queen's English while the orcs and poo poo are all Cockney.
These, plus simple geography like I said, are all good reasons to me. The reason it would be in American English is because I guess the majority of the audience for the game is American, but that's not really justifiable inside the game world itself.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You're only right because that's the way accents in historical dramas are usually handled, but I don't think American accents are any less justifiable than having the French people speak with the tongue of a country that they loving hated during that time.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

Quixotic1 posted:

Where is Charles Lee? A friend of mines tries to justify the depiction of Charles Lee with his mustache-twirling evil and disheveled look after Charles Lee's induction into the new order by saying since the memories were Connor's viewpoint, they were biased and more embellished on purpose against Charles Lee. Since before Connors first encounter with Charles Lee, Charles Lee is a perfect gentleman to Haythem and the world at large. I suppose he could be right Charles Lee, but that's way to subtle an idea for Ubi writers me thinks. Case in point, Connor's irrational hatred towards Charles Lee even after Connor discovered it was Washington who did his tribe in and not Lee. In short; Give me Lee!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oLFlq2SerGQ

I always took lee as a brown noising toadie who was respectful and jovial with his friends and betters inside the templars, but treated anyone outside the super secret club as a piece of poo poo or a disposable asset. also lee in real life was a dirty unkempt motherfucker who had packs of his dogs following behind him constantly.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

You know I thought AC3 was loving garbage, but that part at the end of the game where you meet up with Lee in the tavern ruled.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

Just put the audio into French and turn on subtitles. Immersion restored.

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug

cptn_dr posted:

I was going to do that but drat the subtitles are small on my TV.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
So Rogue apparrently is basically the same game as Black Flag. Now, is it better than Black Flag?

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

So Rogue apparrently is basically the same game as Black Flag. Now, is it better than Black Flag?

Nope. It's shorter, dumber and has lost a lot of the charm and novelty.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

A strange clip of Unity looking like a fun game

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XMFAwGHj1P8

For me, I'd get the "alert" notice in the middle of the smoke bomb and get two-hit-killed while accidentally jumping on a barrel.

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

HaitianDivorce posted:

Also the final legendary ship battle makes me want to kill myself.

Lord Cyrahzax
Oct 11, 2012

HaitianDivorce posted:

No tailing missions, though. You also get to dress up like a Viking, no DLC required.

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!

pengun101 posted:

I always took lee as a brown noising toadie who was respectful and jovial with his friends and betters inside the templars, but treated anyone outside the super secret club as a piece of poo poo or a disposable asset. also lee in real life was a dirty unkempt motherfucker who had packs of his dogs following behind him constantly.

Yeah, my take on Lee was that even in the Templar sequences, he's a Grade A bastard who'll do what's necessary to get the job done and serve his own ends. He was never a nice guy and he's portrayed at all times as the backstabbey kind of person who puts on an air of congeniality and probably tells himself that he's Totally A Nice Guy every night before he goes to bed.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

cptn_dr posted:

You realize bitching endlessly about the problem is WAY more entertaining than solving it, right?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

HaitianDivorce posted:

If you 100% it, how much time would you clock?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
In case there was any question with Rogue of "Is Ubisoft just trying to capitalize on Black Flag?":

I think a disgruntled dev wrote the Abstergo emails in this game. I just took these. (Sorry for bad screen photos, but I don't have an easy way to capture from my PS3.)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

ManOfTheYear posted:

If you 100% it, how much time would you clock?

Maybe thirty hours if you clear every single location and 100% sync every mission? Because I don't have that kind of endurance I cleared the main story in two sittings, with another dedicated to loving around for ship and Shay upgrades. There's still fetch quest stuff to finish up, legendary battles to do and a few upgrades to find, but that's about it.

It's not a terrible game but it's not worth $60 unless you really need to scratch that itch.

^^^That's got nothing on the massive cry for help that Black Flag's frame story was. "Oh yeah we've got these really cushy offices with bean bag chairs and stuff but Ubisoft ABSTERGO makes us put out a new game every year and also locks us in hermetically sealed doom bunkers to make sure we keep our deadlines."

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Nov 16, 2014

• Locked thread