Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW
can someone spoil me on the modern day plot developments in rogue? there was next to none in unity

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OxMan
May 13, 2006

COME SEE
GRAVE DIGGER
LIVE AT MONSTER TRUCK JAM 2KXX

HaitianDivorce posted:

^^^That's got nothing on the massive cry for help that Black Flag's frame story was. "Oh yeah we've got these really cushy offices with bean bag chairs and stuff but Ubisoft ABSTERGO makes us put out a new game every year and also locks us in hermetically sealed doom bunkers to make sure we keep our deadlines."

It's like Chinese workers writing help messages but digitally and also you have to solve ingame puzzles to save their lives. The games are a training tool to turn nerds into assassins to save them from Ubiso I mean Abstergos offices. Where else could they take the present day poo poo anyways?

Also I've been running the game in french from the get and it's the way to go. Those dumb lil recruiting cutscenes turn french as well and random stuff isn't subtitled but it's gotta beat the irish poor. (I just got to that part too, but in french)

HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012
You're back in the offices from Black Flag, except everyone talks to you like you weren't there so you're probably a different person. The game starts with you triggering a virus because you tried to look at some specific files that happen to be Shay Cormac's. Who planted that virus is never revealed. It serves to bring in two Templar agents who take over for guiding you through Shay's memories. At the end of Shay's story after he's stabbed his way through the Colonial Brotherhood they take all the footage and upload it to the Assassin network to demoralize them in conjunction with what is supposedly a second Great Purge that may or may not have killed William Miles, among others.

For all your hard work the Templars offer to induct you with a cross-emblazoned ring and ready a pistol for you in case you refuse. Cut to black.

Oh, and for every ten Animus Fragments you collect you get a one-sentence message from Juno. It mostly seems to be re-iterating that she's a grumpy digital person who wants to gently caress up everyone's poo poo, because hell if I'm going to track down all 200 of them.

E: Whoops that was for the dude asking for spoilers on the modern day part of Rogue, don't mouseover if you don't want that.

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 22:36 on Nov 16, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Been playing through Unity at a friend's place but good lord it's a long ugly slog that gates your progress and makes you get gear and leveling up to see a lot of the content you want to see. Do they at least do anything cool with the present-day plotline and/or conspiracy lore a la The Truth? Because I'm losing my patience for this.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Been playing through Unity at a friend's place but good lord it's a long ugly slog that gates your progress and makes you get gear and leveling up to see a lot of the content you want to see. Do they at least do anything cool with the present-day plotline and/or conspiracy lore a la The Truth? Because I'm losing my patience for this.

None whatsoever. All you get is "abstergo wants to get first civilization genes so they can fire it up in the animus and explore first civilization history". Literally nothing happens with the modern day stuff. unity is a boring rear end slog with absolutely no relevance to anything

Glad to hear they at least still acknowledge Juno still exists in Rogue. I was expecting some major poo poo to go down present day when she was released at the end of 3 but they're not doing a drat thing with it.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Gesadt posted:

lets get back to the great stuff about unity:

desyncing cause stuff of nightmares is too much to handle

This is the Hunchback of Notre Dame

Assassin's Creed: Quasimodo

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cyra posted:

None whatsoever. All you get is "abstergo wants to get first civilization genes so they can fire it up in the animus and explore first civilization history". Literally nothing happens with the modern day stuff. unity is a boring rear end slog with absolutely no relevance to anything

Glad to hear they at least still acknowledge Juno still exists in Rogue. I was expecting some major poo poo to go down present day when she was released at the end of 3 but they're not doing a drat thing with it.

Good god. Do they at least go into the politics of the Revolution at all? Because I'm in sequence five and they've scarcely acknowledged it's even happening.

MarioTeachesWiping
Nov 1, 2006

by XyloJW

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Good god. Do they at least go into the politics of the Revolution at all? Because I'm in sequence five and they've scarcely acknowledged it's even happening.

No, it's pretty much background noise.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'
Part of me really wonders what the marketing angle is going to be for next year's edition, since they heralded Unity as a true to form AC game, and everyone seems to think its solidly "meh".. Like where do you go from here?

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

macnbc posted:

Part of me really wonders what the marketing angle is going to be for next year's edition, since they heralded Unity as a true to form AC game, and everyone seems to think its solidly "meh".. Like where do you go from here?

I think this is a very good question. I can't really think of another big "Holy poo poo it would be so cool to.." historical thing like the naval battles and being a pirate captain that would fit an AC game. You'd either have to make another "basic" game but this time honestly make it solid and spend the development time on having good mission and control designs or just milk taht pirate money.

Guess which one it's gonna be? :v:

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
They haven't done ninjas and poo poo yet. I assume they are waiting for just the right time. That time might be when the last fans are finally tiring of the series.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

macnbc posted:

Like where do you go from here?

Ubi's not going to be the one to take us there, whatever it is. I'm another one of those people who buys and plays AC for the virtual tourism, so I'm fine with Unity (from a design standpoint; the technical issues are inexcusable, although I've been playing on Xbone and have had far fewer issues than I did with, say, launch Skyrim).

They keep experimenting with new minigame stuff and seeing if it's worth fleshing out into the next spinoff. Zelda-style minidungeons came and went. Tower defense failed hard. Ships I guess were popular enough in 3 to turn into a big deal in Black Flag, which - no complaints as a standalone game, but it barely felt like AssCreed to me. I guess Unity is floating the idea of turning into AC Noir or something, with the sad little mystery sidequests. And let's not forget Farmville: Stabby Edition in the companion app.

There's gotta be a new game fad they can glom onto for the next one, since I expect mysteries to go the way of tower defense. Hey I know, MineCraft is hip, let's make players build the Great Wall one voxel at a time.

e: btw, where is the entrance to the catacombs? I assume the main story would take me there eventually but I'm too busy collecting all the things, and my next murder is supposed to be down there.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Nov 16, 2014

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here

macnbc posted:

Assassin's Creed 2077 starring Cyborg Desmond. Cmon Ubisoft, let this crazy future bullshit pay off for once.

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Samurai Sanders posted:

They haven't done ninjas and poo poo yet. I assume they are waiting for just the right time. That time might be when the last fans are finally tiring of the series.

That would require them to design a whole new style of architecture instead of just reusing assets so will never happen

Theodyn
Oct 12, 2012

I like all kinds of alcohol. Except schnapps. Schnapps can go to hell.
I've applied to the Unity Goon group as Sgt. Granite.

TerminalSaint
Apr 21, 2007

Where must we go...

we who wander this Wasteland in search of our better selves?
Applied to the Unity club, same name in game.

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013
Watching a walkthrough of Unity and geez those ridiculous super frog leaps Arno does when freerunning. Dudes squatting on a three-inch pole and SWOOOMP he manages to instanly generate power to jump six meters forwards and three up and land on another three-inch pole. That's just jarring.

Snuffman
May 21, 2004

Psiharis posted:

There's gotta be a new game fad they can glom onto for the next one, since I expect mysteries to go the way of tower defense. Hey I know, MineCraft is hip, let's make players build the Great Wall one voxel at a time.

Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor.

Set the game in Victorian London so you can reuse assets, hunt the templars as you work your way up the ranks to kill the head templars.

It writes itself!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They shouldve made this a 19th century France game and have little Helix flashbacks to the French Revolution instead.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Snuffman posted:

Nemesis system from Shadows of Mordor.

See, I briefly thought they might be going in that direction when I got a flurry of intrusive pop-ups about how enemies would "remember you," but now I'm pretty sure those were an outright lie.

This is why I'd rather they kept re-making AC2 in different settings, just polishing and adding a worthwhile plot. The gimmicks are so lovely and half-assed you can't even tell if they're in the game or not.

Unity's also suffering from Sims-syndrome where they spent the last several years adding small features to the same game, so when they finally have to scale back to overhaul the engine, people start screaming bloody murder about the exclusion of whatever their personal favorite side-feature was. Not that I blame the players - the result IS a less deep and feature-rich game.

The solution is to stop releasing every goddamn year which I'm sure Ubi, like any reasonable publisher, will-- pfahahaha no.

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

Played a little more Rogue and it's a mixed bag honestly. The story and Shay as a character are all over the place but the core gameplay is basically the same as Black Flag. The stalker system is kinda cool, it basically works like the multiplayer with the danger ring. NYC is more interesting than it was in ACIII. The River Valley map is hilariously compressed since you can sail from Albany, NY to Mount Vernon, VA in about 3 minutes. It's definitely not worth $60 but I rented it and it's fun enough.

Avalanche
Feb 2, 2007
I hope we get an rear end Creed Russian Revolution but chances are the next game will be in Egypt in south America or some random poo poo.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Better some random poo poo than completely loving up Boston. This thread reminded me how mad I still am about that. Bleh.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Does Arno have 2 blades, or did they replace his first one with the crossbow blade? All the double kill animations only use one.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Cyra posted:

No, it's pretty much background noise.

Jesus Christ. So the game I've been tolerating this trainwreck series for finally comes out and has everything that exists in the universe except the two things I wanted. I guess I can quit being disappointed now because I don't need to play any more AC games.

A Fancy 400 lbs
Jul 24, 2008
I hope they do a non-DLC/sidescroller China game. China has had about a million civil wars, just choose one of them!

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
I still find it gunny that basically every Assassin's creed (and DLC) since Brotherhood has been mediocre or poo poo and that the only exception is 4 because it's got a shallow pirate simulator in it that has little to do with any of the main type of gameplay that's been present in any of the other games in the franchise.

If AC4 was all on land, i have a strong feeling it would have been panned for being poo poo too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Psiharis posted:

Better some random poo poo than completely loving up Boston. This thread reminded me how mad I still am about that. Bleh.

I'm glad Red Dead Redemption got the wild west right so I don't have to rely on Ubisoft to re-create my city's early years.

Vancouver's first city hall. Imagine synchronizing from this

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Abu Dave posted:

They shouldve made this a 19th century France game and have little Helix flashbacks to the French Revolution instead.

Speaking of, what period do the helixes cover?

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Kin posted:

If AC4 was all on land, i have a strong feeling it would have been panned for being poo poo too.

Probably. I always thought AC4 was Ubisoft admitting that the core AC gameplay needed reworking, but needed to buy time to make it happen. AC4 was basically a distraction to buy that time.

I think Unity was supposed to be what AC4 was buying time for, but holy poo poo did it need another year in the oven.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
I don't understand why Ubi decided to kill Desmond. I understand he was a big punching bag for the gaming community, but he filled a crucial role in AC's story: he was the stand-in for the audience. He was the goober who would stand in the middle of a bunch of extraordinary poo poo happening and ask "What's the Hooberdoober!?!?!" and then you'd have other characters explain what yhe Hooberdoober is. It's an old trope, but it worked. It got the player involved. After killing Desmond, they just wanted you to, what, fill the shoes of a mute doofus who's unknowingly working for Abstergo?

There's exactly one mute doofus in videogame history that works: Gordon Freeman. And that's because he's become of joke in and of itself. You can't loving make FIVE GAMES starring the audience surrogate and then kill him and be like "Okay! Now YOU'RE the hero of the game." Yes, and now that hero plays videogames for BIG EVIL CORPORATION. You're being duped into playing viddygames for the man! Oh my god! I can take it more seriously when an ex-bartender who ran away from home is now on the run from BIG ILLUMINATI and trying to take them down.

Can anyone explain why Ubi thought it was a good idea to slay the audience surrogate?

And now in Unity you're, I dunno, some dipshit who's watching cable television and you switch it to 666 HELIX to try to catch the latest episode of WHO'S THAT TEMPLAR and then WHOOAAAAAAAA THE ASSASSINS HAVE HACKED INTO YOUR TV TUNER BRAIN and now you're helping them? loving sucks.

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Kurtofan posted:

Speaking of, what period do the helixes cover?

So far, Nazis.

The originality, it hurts.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

matrix ripoff posted:

Can anyone explain why Ubi thought it was a good idea to slay the audience surrogate?

Because they're giant loving idiots who don't understand how to tell a good story?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Psiharis posted:

So far, Nazis.

The originality, it hurts.

The 19th century is Nazis? Really dude? :wtc:

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

matrix ripoff posted:

There's exactly one mute doofus in videogame history that works: Gordon Freeman.

Hey gently caress you Crono in Chrono Trigger was awesome :colbert:

(Chell in Portal as well)

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

Well I've only played a handful of the helix missions but the big climb-the-Eiffel-Tower set piece is in Nazi-occupied Paris. I already PLAYED the Saboteur, thanks.

In the others the time period really doesn't matter because it's all timed bullshit to pick up as many MacGuffins as possible before the timer buzzes so nobody notices how frequently they copy-pasted the same idyllic little cafe.

vv Maybe, I don't remember much because I hate timed bullshit. The first one that made an impression was all in generic metro tunnels, then the aforementioned Nazis, and then I stopped doing Helix missions because there are still other parts of the game that actually seem fun.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 00:56 on Nov 17, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

cptn_dr posted:

Because they're giant loving idiots who don't understand how to tell a good story?

Specifically didn't they fire the guy who actually had any idea how all the 2012 poo poo was supposed to come together, leaving them to cobble together some "let a ghost murder you or the sun will explode" nonsense? (And in doing this didn't they completely abandon the plotline about the Templars trying to establish satellite coverage with orbital pieces of Eden?)

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

The first time travel thing I did was in the 1800s with hot air balloons etc. I think that is everyone's first one?

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

macnbc posted:

Hey gently caress you Crono in Chrono Trigger was awesome :colbert:

(Chell in Portal as well)

I stand corrected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Jesus Christ. So the game I've been tolerating this trainwreck series for finally comes out and has everything that exists in the universe except the two things I wanted. I guess I can quit being disappointed now because I don't need to play any more AC games.

The single player story basically doesn't really touch on it at all, but most of the actual Co-Op missions are based off of French Revolution stuff. There's 2 or 3 missions where the primary focus involves Danton.

• Locked thread