Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tiny Bug Child
Sep 11, 2004

Avoid Symmetry, Allow Complexity, Introduce Terror
sure breaking bad may have been a great show... but think of all the technical problems it would have had if it tried to stretch into movie territory. they never would have been able to pull off sophisticated movie stuff like replacing Jesse with a talking CGI raccoon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
love entourage

best TV is impractical jokers how can someone not cry laughing at it?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

Actual Samsung TVs do the same

SAMSUNG TV OWNERS:

rename input to PC

switch to MOVIE mode

set to WARM 2 if you have to

your TV is now calibrated.

so pagancow normally i hate you and find you intolerable but this is genuinely helpful and setting the input name to "pc" made a visible improvement over the best i was able to achieve without renaming it. bizarre that they implemented it that way but whaddaya know. :cheers:

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

hey pagancow i bought a vizio tv and calibrated it based on the settings from a random forum post

it's next to 4 huge windows too

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
mine is veon brnad

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Tiny Bug Child posted:

sure breaking bad may have been a great show... but think of all the technical problems it would have had if it tried to stretch into movie territory. they never would have been able to pull off sophisticated movie stuff like replacing Jesse with a talking CGI raccoon

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

FMguru posted:

the wire, breaking bad, sopranos, mad men - what has hollywood produced to match those?

those shows are all bad tho

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Farecoal posted:

those shows are all bad tho

:getout:

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:

echinopsis posted:

best TV is impractical jokers how can someone not cry laughing at it?

it's hilarious

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

every time i see parts of any broadcast big budget tv show i cant help but laugh at how bad its written, or the production issues that force them to stay in the same 3 sets.

Deacon of Delicious
Aug 20, 2007

I bet the twist ending is Dracula's dick-babies

pagancow posted:

every time i see parts of any broadcast big budget tv show i cant help but laugh at how bad its written, or the production issues that force them to stay in the same 3 sets.

right! so quit blocking ads for the bread so we can keep getting more of this high-quality circus. that's some good bread and circus

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sagebrush posted:

so pagancow normally i hate you and find you intolerable

man, why you gota be like that?

i like your posts

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Deacon of Delicious posted:

right! so quit blocking ads for the bread so we can keep getting more of this high-quality circus. that's some good bread and circus

i have moderate standards.

TV is fine for those who have none. Dont take that away from them

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
jfc i hope my tv never breaks bc all these tv janitoring posts had me scoff up a lung

apart from digital signage things what is the best 37" to 42" a man can go and buy in a store today? my panasonic lcd has suited my needs extremely well for the past 9 years and isnt butt ugly so basically i want that but new

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

pagancow posted:

man, why you gota be like that?

i like your posts

well, it's really only when you're defending the value of advertising and ripping on people for not appreciating things they literally can't see, but you do that a lot

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

newreply.php posted:

jfc i hope my tv never breaks bc all these tv janitoring posts had me scoff up a lung

apart from digital signage things what is the best 37" to 42" a man can go and buy in a store today? my panasonic lcd has suited my needs extremely well for the past 9 years and isnt butt ugly so basically i want that but new

my sarnsung 48" H6350 is quite nice. the smart tv bullshit is indeed bullshit but te netflix app works fine and it can pick up upnp stuff from my NAS and that + an hdmi port for the computer are all i care about.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

the ui on that palm tv actually looks pretty slick in motion. don't know why i'd need all that stuff tho.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xo6QgRMwu4Y

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
lol if u watch tv

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Farecoal posted:

lol if u watch tv

JewKiller 3000
Nov 28, 2006

by Lowtax

Farecoal posted:

lol if u watch

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
my veon TV required 0 janitoring and looks great

the sound is fuckin trash but I don't use it
SO....

Forums Terrorist
Dec 8, 2011

i don't even *own* a tv!!

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
I didn't until like 2 or 3 months ago

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
now I own a
veon
brand TV

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

the best a man can getŪ

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
the best a family can get

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

im about to buy a sony tv

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

i did it

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast
i have a samsung 46" from like a few years ago that is fine but i will check out the PC warm2 trick thing

e: it is not a smart tv thank god

Sniep fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Nov 16, 2014

taco_fox
Dec 14, 2005

the last time I had to sit through an internet ad the audio was all messed up and it was in the wrong aspect ratio

how do you defend that, mr. pagancow

Asymmetric POSTer
Aug 17, 2005

what i dont get with the ads on internet video streaming sites is why they are served from a different domain/server than the actual content that allows adblock to block them

so then i have to janitor my mom's home computer to whitelist cbs.com and poo poo so she can watch her horrible tv shows

why cant they just serve ads from the same place the content comes from so adblock cant do anything about it

is it really as dumb as the actual stream comes from content4.cnd.cbs.com and the ads come from ads.cdn.cbs.com?

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE
Aug 15, 2004

optimized multichannel
campaigns to drive
demand and increase
brand engagement
across web, mobile,
and social touchpoints,
bitch!
:yaycloud::smithcloud:
is there a really good proxy sever version of adblock? like something I can set up on a vps like a vpn that just doesn't feed ad sites.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!

pagancow posted:

Actual Samsung TVs do the same

SAMSUNG TV OWNERS:

rename input to PC

switch to MOVIE mode

set to WARM 2 if you have to

your TV is now calibrated.

any tips for Vizio owners?

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
kill yourself

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
sony yet so far

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

is there a really good proxy sever version of adblock? like something I can set up on a vps like a vpn that just doesn't feed ad sites.

ya I want an Adblock that like sits in front of my router or smth that would own

Last Chance
Dec 31, 2004

mishaq posted:

what i dont get with the ads on internet video streaming sites is why they are served from a different domain/server than the actual content that allows adblock to block them

so then i have to janitor my mom's home computer to whitelist cbs.com and poo poo so she can watch her horrible tv shows

why cant they just serve ads from the same place the content comes from so adblock cant do anything about it

is it really as dumb as the actual stream comes from content4.cnd.cbs.com and the ads come from ads.cdn.cbs.com?
for load balancing reasons

HAIL eSATA-n
Apr 7, 2007

My Linux Rig posted:

any tips for Vizio owners?
PC or Game mode will turn off most/all of the dumb poo poo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

CISADMIN PRIVILEGE posted:

http://rightfootin.blogspot.com/2009/11/ad-blocking-with-polipo.html this works for me for the most part

e: I have run privoxy as well it worked OK too

• Locked thread