Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

Infect being first in a 4000 person legacy tournament is not something I would'v expected.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

bhsman posted:

:lol: I suspected that, just that the amount of time I've heard about how fast the mirrors are and wondered if there was a specific reason for it.

Mirrors are fast cuz there's not much to do. It's draw go most of the time and whomever lands the threat first wins. The fights usually only occur for the top, Jace, and maybe CB.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

meanolmrcloud posted:

Infect being first in a 4000 person legacy tournament is not something I would'v expected.
I think its a tricky deck to play. There is a ton of cat and mouse and it takes a lot of understanding of the game state and your opponents capabilities at any moment. I don't think an inexperienced player could pick it up and do that well, but Tom has been playing it for a while.

Infect is like a burn deck where every card is fireblast. Each turn is a potential blowout for either player.

eSporks fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 16, 2014

BaronVonVaderham
Jul 31, 2011

All hail the queen!

Sampatrick posted:

it always has game and rewards being very proficient with your deck.

This is why I like all of the decks I like in every format and I'm not big on current Standard. They also punish opponents for not being as familiar with it, as they won't know your lines of play they need to work around.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Serperoth posted:

Also, Feline Longmore Deck Tech, and she's playing Reset High Tide/Solidarity instead of her usual 'plain' High Tide. :woop:

I wonder is she tested Intellectual Offering for the deck. It's useful in some circumstances but I'm not sure when you can spare the sideboard space for it. Dig Through Time is certainly a big addition to that deck, because it's basically double Impulse.

eSporks
Jun 10, 2011

Chamale posted:

I wonder is she tested Intellectual Offering for the deck. It's useful in some circumstances but I'm not sure when you can spare the sideboard space for it. Dig Through Time is certainly a big addition to that deck, because it's basically double Impulse.
What does Intellectual Offering do in that deck? I didn't think solidarity ran candelabra, and a 5 mana draw 3 doesn't seem too good.

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Haha it's a curio cavern match on stream.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Wadjamaloo posted:

What does Intellectual Offering do in that deck? I didn't think solidarity ran candelabra, and a 5 mana draw 3 doesn't seem too good.

Oops, ugh. I was totally thinking of Spiral Tide, not Solidarity.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Chamale posted:

Like Wadjamaloo said, I wouldn't be surprised if Intellectual Offering goes in her 'main' deck, the Spiral Tide one. Although it is an instant, so it can be used in the opponent's turn as an extra Reset? Definitely more of a thing in Spiral rather than Solidarity I'd say.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Wadjamaloo posted:

I think its a tricky deck to play. There is a ton of cat and mouse and it takes a lot of understanding of the game state and your opponents capabilities at any moment. I don't think an inexperienced player could pick it up and do that well, but Tom has been playing it for a while.

Infect is like a burn deck where every card is fireblast. Each turn is a potential blowout for either player.

I don't know if Burn is the right match; it's more like a Combo deck with several inter-locking pieces.

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Is the stream starting to tank in round 15 for anyone else? Doesn't seem to want to run smoothly anymore for me.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx
That Wear/Tear topdeck. :stare:

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
More proper art things recently posted: the Duel Decks Kiora and Elspeth, by Tyler Jacobson (of Pain Seer, Dawnstrike Paladin, the Teferi planeswalker, and lots of the THS key story images, so he can pull out good stuff.)

I like Elspeth's face, but her armour less so. The way the light on her legs looks, with very discrete patches of light, it seems more like the armour's been beaten with a hammer and crumpled; her left gauntlet crosses the line into just looking sloppy for me as well. The background detailing is very cool, but probably unlikely to be very visible at card size because it doesn't have enough contrast, especially with the sunbeams already mucking around with the light levels. Which is a shame, because I like both the sunbeams and all those little pieces in the back.

The way he's painted the clouds at twilight to give them a distinct colour is imaginative, and I like his handling of the spray, especially where Kiora's hand is trailing through it. It was maybe a bit better on Teferi, though. On the other hand, Kiora's face looks a touch plastic: I think it's the lips, in part. And I'm not quite sure of the head/neck proportions.
Also, holy poo poo, that giant sea monster eye I just noticed glaring at you in the corner of the art. :aaa:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
So any theories as to why Treasure Cruise, allegedly the most broken card in the history of Modern or whatever, only put 4 copies in the Top 8 (8 more copies if you look at the Top 16) in Madrid?

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?

MiddleEastBeast posted:

So any theories as to why Treasure Cruise, allegedly the most broken card in the history of Modern or whatever, only put 4 copies in the Top 8 (8 more copies if you look at the Top 16) in Madrid?

Because the rest of the top 8 (and a lot of the field) was packed to the gills with U/R Delver hate. Siege Rhino as a Pod target, maindeck Chalice, Martyr-Proc - a lot of decks expected U/R Delver to be common enough to be worth changing their MD for.

Not that it mattered, because the only 4 copies of Treasure Cruise in the top 8 won the tournament anyways. And Wizards didn't put Cruise in the top 5 cards for the tournament :lol:

Niton fucked around with this message at 22:18 on Nov 16, 2014

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Niton posted:

Because the rest of the top 8 (and a lot of the field) was packed to the gills with U/R Delver hate. Siege Rhino as a Pod target, maindeck Chalice, Martyr-Proc - a lot of decks expected U/R Delver to be common enough to be worth changing their MD for.

Not that it mattered, because the only 4 copies of Treasure Cruise in the top 8 won the tournament anyways. And Wizards didn't put Cruise in the top 5 cards for the tournament :lol:

You're telling me that the metagame adapted to a new a deck? Oh my god that's so bad and terrible, break out the ban hammer everybody, UR Delver is dominating the tournament and needs to have all the cards in it banned post haste.

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sampatrick posted:

You're telling me that the metagame adapted to a new a deck? Oh my god that's so bad and terrible, break out the ban hammer everybody, UR Delver is dominating the tournament and needs to have all the cards in it banned post haste.

Stop being a little bitch

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Sampatrick posted:

It did, glad you :agreed:

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully

Sampatrick posted:

There's a difference between adapting to a shifting metagame and needing to pack your deck the gills with hate for one particular matchup if you want to have a chance in a tournament. One is the sign of a healthy metagame, one isn't.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

Sleep of Bronze posted:

More proper art things recently posted: the Duel Decks Kiora and Elspeth, by Tyler Jacobson (of Pain Seer, Dawnstrike Paladin, the Teferi planeswalker, and lots of the THS key story images, so he can pull out good stuff.)

I like Elspeth's face, but her armour less so. The way the light on her legs looks, with very discrete patches of light, it seems more like the armour's been beaten with a hammer and crumpled; her left gauntlet crosses the line into just looking sloppy for me as well. The background detailing is very cool, but probably unlikely to be very visible at card size because it doesn't have enough contrast, especially with the sunbeams already mucking around with the light levels. Which is a shame, because I like both the sunbeams and all those little pieces in the back.

The way he's painted the clouds at twilight to give them a distinct colour is imaginative, and I like his handling of the spray, especially where Kiora's hand is trailing through it. It was maybe a bit better on Teferi, though. On the other hand, Kiora's face looks a touch plastic: I think it's the lips, in part. And I'm not quite sure of the head/neck proportions.
Also, holy poo poo, that giant sea monster eye I just noticed glaring at you in the corner of the art. :aaa:
These both look kind of unfinished to me, especially at this resolution. If you look there's a stark contrast between Kiora herself and the water around her. The water looks like concept art, you can clearly make out photoshop brushes or whatever. What I'm trying to say is I wish more artists in magic these days used traditional media.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer
I scrubbed out at 5-3 with manaless dredge at gpnj.

2-0 against burn
2-0 against storm
1-2 against uwr blade
2-0 against uwr delver
1-2 against d&t
2-1 against burn
2-1 against storm
1-2 against burn (because I'm an idiot with cabal therapy)

Notable was winning a game without casting any spells against D&T and in another match reanimating Street Wraith because it was the only target in my graveyard with Dread Return to make 13 zombies.

Also exciting was showing a hand of 2x Mindbreak Trap 3x Cabal Therapy to a storm player.

I don't know if I'd play manaless at a GP again--a good burn and storm matchup were really nice but instantly losing to hate when you can only afford 2 losses seems rough. The hidden upside was finishing each round with over 20 minutes left on the clock.

Also I did better than ChewyLSB :3:

Zoness fucked around with this message at 23:10 on Nov 16, 2014

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

I hate being results oriented but I was pretty certain Treasure Cruise Delver decks weren't going to dominate Modern, and so far it bears out. Plenty of decks that could have run the card chose not to, and the Scapeshift deck that made the finals was traditional R/G, eschewing Dig and Cruise entirely.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

MiddleEastBeast posted:

There's a difference between adapting to a shifting metagame and needing to pack your deck the gills with hate for one particular matchup if you want to have a chance in a tournament. One is the sign of a healthy metagame, one isn't.

Right so then Modern is a healthy metagame, can we talk about how Tom Ross seems to always have Become Immense and it's always the perfect card? The deck is crazy good.

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

Sampatrick posted:

Right so then Modern is a healthy metagame, can we talk about how Tom Ross seems to always have Become Immense and it's always the perfect card? The deck is crazy good.

Both games where he drew it, he had Sylvan Library out.

whateverfor
Jul 23, 2007
fuck you sped

MiddleEastBeast posted:

There's two things going on: Dig Through Time is better than Cruise in a lot of decks, and the raw power of Pod is enough for it to keep up. of decks. Top 16 was 5 DTT, 3 Cruise, 4 Pod, 4 other, which sounds about right.

I wonder if lack of experience with the deck hurt some of the pilots? The Delver player who won played awful in the game I saw (and won anyway because of cruise).

BizarroAzrael
Apr 6, 2006

"That must weigh heavily on your soul. Let me purge it for you."

Sampatrick posted:

Also how Become Immense has been made a legitimate by a guy who looks tiny.

What was the hate played against Cruise? The first things I can think of are stuff that block extra draws, like Spirit of the Labyrinth, and that withhold the graveyard as a resource like Leyline of the Void, neither of which I'm seeing. Or was it just more stuff that addressed the core delver strategy?

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin

MiddleEastBeast posted:

This, yeah. When the entire metagame has shifted towards beating a particular strategy and then that strategy still wins, it's a problem.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

whateverfor posted:

There's two things going on: Dig Through Time is better than Cruise in a lot of decks, and the raw power of Pod is enough for it to keep up. of decks. Top 16 was 5 DTT, 3 Cruise, 4 Pod, 4 other, which sounds about right.

I wonder if lack of experience with the deck hurt some of the pilots? The Delver player who won played awful in the game I saw (and won anyway because of cruise).

12 copies of DTT and 12 copies of Cruise in the top 16, I don't think you can really say that's indicative of an unhealthy format since it was a relatively diverse spread of decks running those DTT, although admittedly the Cruise decks were pretty much all URx decks.

The hate against Cruise was mostly stuff that was good against the strategy, not stuff that is specifically good versus Cruise; Siege Rhino is what most people went towards as far as I can tell, and I also think Eidolon of Rhetoric should be quite good in the matchup.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

whateverfor posted:

There is basically no way that the thing that kept more Treasure Cruise out of the t8 was a lack of preparation. It's not exactly a complex card and it isn't some brand new archetype.

Sampatrick posted:

The hate against Cruise was mostly stuff that was good against the strategy, not stuff that is specifically good versus Cruise; Siege Rhino is what most people went towards as far as I can tell, and I also think Eidolon of Rhetoric should be quite good in the matchup.

Eidolon of Rhetoric isn't even really hate against Cruise, it has been a good sideboard card since it was printed. It's a great hoser against Storm and Infect, and it just generally benefits the Pod deck since an active Pod lets you "cast" more spells than your opponent.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

Froghammer posted:

This, yeah. When the entire metagame has shifted towards beating a particular strategy and then that strategy still wins, it's a problem.

Nah, Scapeshift ran really poorly in the finals from what I watched, and RG Trap ran even worse. I honestly think it was mostly luck that the Delver deck took the tournament down.

rabidsquid posted:

There is basically no way that the thing that kept more Treasure Cruise out of the t8 was a lack of preparation. It's not exactly a complex card and it isn't some brand new archetype.

Eidolon of Rhetoric isn't even really hate against Cruise, it has been a good sideboard card since it was printed. It's a great hoser against Storm and Infect, and it just generally benefits the Pod deck since an active Pod lets you "cast" more spells than your opponent.

I feel like Eidolon is good against the Delver strategy since it's a solid blocker and then it's also really good at stopping the Delver deck from doing the tempo thing and starting to chain a bunch of spells together and cast an early cruise.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

It is good against Delver! It's just not a meta shift towards beating Treasure Cruise, it has been kicking around in Meliraless Pod sideboards for months.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012

rabidsquid posted:

It is good against Delver! It's just not a meta shift towards beating Treasure Cruise, it has been kicking around in Meliraless Pod sideboards for months.

Oh okay, I hadn't realized that. I think I saw one of the top 8 decks running a copy in the main deck, which is a bit of a meta shift I think.

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
Tom Ross's draws have been *insane* in this G3 of the Quarter Finals. Drawing Wasteland off of the top to embarrass the standstill, drawing Daze to protect his library is very absurd.

shades of blue
Sep 27, 2012
Best counter war ever

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
:lol: Tom Ross gonna win this match with regular damage and I'm gonna fistpump.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

OfChristandMen posted:

Tom Ross's draws have been *insane* in this G3 of the Quarter Finals. Drawing Wasteland off of the top to embarrass the standstill, drawing Daze to protect his library is very absurd.

This game is just incredible. Phan's at 8 poison, his last infect creature bites the dust, and for a while it looked like Tom was going on Noble Hierarch beatdowon plan.

He drew another inkmoth, but it looks like the Hierarch plan is still on. :toot:

bhsman
Feb 10, 2008

by exmarx

MiddleEastBeast posted:

:lol: Tom Ross gonna win this match with regular damage and I'm gonna fistpump.

Context: The only creatures Tom had were Noble Hierachs. Three of them. :stonklol:

OfChristandMen
Feb 14, 2006

GENERIC CANDY AVATAR #2
That was one of the craziest and tense games of magic I've seen. What a great loving game.

Niton
Oct 21, 2010

Your Lord and Savior has finally arrived!

..got any kibble?
Tom Ross deals 20 with his Noble Heirarchs to take game 3! He's on to the semifinals! What a ridiculous game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MiddleEastBeast
Jan 19, 2003

Forum Bully
It feels like Tom Ross has owned magic for the last ~6 months.

• Locked thread