Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sex Weirdo
Jul 24, 2007

Bought some snow tires for the wrx last weekend, and just in time too because we got about 3-4" of snow today. I have to say this car is an absolute beast in the snow, easily the best I've ever driven. I did some parking lot sliding tonight and it was so easy to control. What a great, fun car :hellyeah:

Oh and the tires are General Altimax Arctics, I highly recommend them.

Sex Weirdo fucked around with this message at 09:14 on Nov 14, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
Anybody need a tactrix cable? I just sold my bugeye.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Blaise posted:

Anybody need a tactrix cable? I just sold my bugeye.

What version; Will it work on an 08?

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

Frankenstein posted:

What version; Will it work on an 08?

Don't see why it wouldn't. It's a regular one, looks like this:

http://solberg.umd.edu/STi/forsale/tactrix.JPG

DJ Commie
Feb 29, 2004

Stupid drivers always breaking car, Gronk fix car...
I'll take it if Frankenstein doesn't. I have an 02 WRX ECU that I'm putting on my SOHC EJ20 Forester to raise the rev limit to something above 'tractor.'

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
i'll take it if these jabronis don't

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003
:lol: I think I shoulda have specified I'm selling it. Not free :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Did you already move? cause the easiest solution is selling it to me in the IRC parking lot

brand engager
Mar 23, 2011

MalleusDei posted:

Haha, it does sound sort of like gear noise. Increases in pitch as speed increases.

I don't have a subaru, but my car did the same noise with pitch increase and everything. It turned out to be worn wheel hub bearings.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

Did you already move? cause the easiest solution is selling it to me in the IRC parking lot

Nope, still here. And just sold :)

Saga
Aug 17, 2009
So with an hour to kill before dark, I decide I might as well throw replacement bracket and polybushes on my Impreza's front ARB. Can anyone see where this is going?

Having done the passenger side without any trouble, I find myself wondering why the driver's side bracket bolt is resisting removal so much more than the other one. I find out 5 minutes later when I try to seat the new bracket bolt. A PO or mechanic cross-threaded the bracket bolt and decided to just keep going rather than take it off and start again/retap.

:smith:

I also don't have a tap and die set.

:smith:

Naked Bear
Apr 15, 2007

Boners was recorded before a studio audience that was alive!
Put on the Blizzaks today. Bring on the snow. :getin:

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
So uh I came to get my new bumper today and I got an sti instead.....

Terrible Robot
Jul 2, 2010

FRIED CHICKEN
Slippery Tilde

TheFargate posted:

So uh I came to get my new bumper today and I got an sti instead.....

Best. Upsell. Ever.

Someone get that salesman a fuckin' beer.

TheFargate
Oct 6, 2007
After he let me joy ride and slide sideways I pretty much had to buy it....

DeesGrandpa
Oct 21, 2009

It's good to bring the Subaru into its natural habitat :)

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
I'm hearing a howling kind of noise on right hand turns at 20-40mph...wheel bearings?

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related
My 2004 wrx when first started makes a sorta pssssh noise when the air temp is around 40F or colder. No other issues apart from this noise. Sometimes it is more of a scratchy psssh noise and it only lasts 1-1.5 seconds.
Any thoughts?

saint gerald
Apr 17, 2003

BraveUlysses posted:

I'm hearing a howling kind of noise on right hand turns at 20-40mph...wheel bearings?

Mine did that and it was brakes. Try easing on the brake while it's making that noise and see if it stops.

Frankenstein
Jul 29, 2005

Blaise posted:

:lol: I think I shoulda have specified I'm selling it. Not free :)

I assumed you were and would certainly have paid for it. That said, I think that is a v1.3 cable and I'm interested in a v2.0.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
170 for an air con regas sound fair? 41 degrees c outside and my aircons blowing hot on 100% and 20 degrees on the climate control.

Blaise
Sep 10, 2003

A Saucy Bratwurst posted:

170 for an air con regas sound fair? 41 degrees c outside and my aircons blowing hot on 100% and 20 degrees on the climate control.

I'm assuming you're in the southern hemisphere.

I wouldn't pay that much. Stateside it's $5/can online or $12 in a store, and you need less than 2 cans.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

That's in moon dollars, right? I have no idea what shop rates are around there, but for a full evac, recharge, pressure test and maybe dye that's not the worst I've seen - it's actually not bad.

BraveUlysses posted:

Check for spooky stuff in the trunk, halloween just ended, but sometimes they don't know that yet!

Mercury Ballistic posted:

My 2004 wrx when first started makes a sorta pssssh noise when the air temp is around 40F or colder. No other issues apart from this noise. Sometimes it is more of a scratchy psssh noise and it only lasts 1-1.5 seconds.
Any thoughts?

On or off throttle?

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Blaise posted:

I'm assuming you're in the southern hemisphere.

I wouldn't pay that much. Stateside it's $5/can online or $12 in a store, and you need less than 2 cans.

I'm in Australia. I don't think we can get those cheap as cans you can get in America because it's illegal to regas a leaking aircon ie have to get it tested.

McSpatula posted:

That's in moon dollars, right? I have no idea what shop rates are around there, but for a full evac, recharge, pressure test and maybe dye that's not the worst I've seen - it's actually not bad.

110 for regas with the uv dye or whatever, 60 for an inspection, they will not regas without testing it. Either way I want to test it because I'd rather not pay to refill it all the time.

On a different note, I hear a metallic clicking, like tapping 2 hammers together, at low speed. It's worse in reverse and I have no idea what to look for. I tried today jacking the car up and feeling for loose stuff but I can't find anything. Sounds like its coming from the front passenger/left side (RHD)

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Are there more things than just the O2 sensor that would cause a fluctuating idle when cold but a rock steady idle when warm? 98 STI, EJ20K motor (single O2 sensor in DP) but seems like a universal question.

McSpatula
Aug 5, 2006

On a different note, I hear a metallic clicking, like tapping 2 hammers together, at low speed. It's worse in reverse and I have no idea what to look for. I tried today jacking the car up and feeling for loose stuff but I can't find anything. Sounds like its coming from the front passenger/left side (RHD)

Does it increase in tempo with as you run through your RPM range?

VelociBacon posted:

Are there more things than just the O2 sensor that would cause a fluctuating idle when cold but a rock steady idle when warm? 98 STI, EJ20K motor (single O2 sensor in DP) but seems like a universal question.

Are you on a stock tune? If not, take a look at your cold startup enrichment tables, and see if you can diagnose it from there.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

McSpatula posted:

Are you on a stock tune? If not, take a look at your cold startup enrichment tables, and see if you can diagnose it from there.

It was running on a power FC with a custom dyno tune but when this erratic idle problem started recently I switched the stock computer back in because it handled the weird idle better ( the power fc was almost stalling).

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

McSpatula posted:

Does it increase in tempo with as you run through your RPM range?

No. Only slow speed.

According to a facebook group of wrx enthusiasts, its my shocks:

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

Is your antenna bouncing off your roof rack? That sound drove me crazy for a while the first summer I had my Subaru. I don't think I could hear it with the windows closed, though.

Does anyone have the number for a '99 drain plug crush washer? I think I tyre out the box for my last ones, last oil change I went to AutoZone and the guy sold me a variety pack, none of which ended up fitting. Ended up reusing the old one because I had to get the car moving again.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Is your antenna bouncing off your roof rack? That sound drove me crazy for a while the first summer I had my Subaru. I don't think I could hear it with the windows closed, though.
I'm glad I'm not the only one this has happened to.

Mercury Ballistic
Nov 14, 2005

not gun related

McSpatula posted:

On or off throttle?

It is as soon as the engine catches, so off throttle, with the clutch in, and foot on the brake.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Does anyone have the number for a '99 drain plug crush washer? I think I tyre out the box for my last ones, last oil change I went to AutoZone and the guy sold me a variety pack, none of which ended up fitting. Ended up reusing the old one because I had to get the car moving again.

I drive an 05 wrx so the antennae that dumb thing on the back windshield.

tangy yet delightful
Sep 13, 2005

22 Eargesplitten posted:

Phone posting but have you tried Subarugenuineparts.com ? You could also seing by your local subaru dealership and maybe get lucky with a free handful.

Alternate answer: get a fumoto valve.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug
Dorman #095142 is the correct parts-store crush washer to get, if you don't want to head to a Subaru dealer.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
Another vote for the fumoto valve. Makes oil changes so much faster

22 Eargesplitten
Oct 10, 2010

I have a '99 outback sport, is there a good guide to doing the accessory belt anywhere out there? And I just have one that runs everything, right? I just ask because the guy at the jiffy lube made reference to multiple belts. When it isn't so cold I'll have to take a look and make sure the timing belt isn't cracking too. It shouldn't be, I got it replaced about 25000 ago.

Edit: I think I will get a fumoto, I just took it to jiffy lube this time because I have no place to lie down that isn't covered in snow.

22 Eargesplitten fucked around with this message at 22:12 on Nov 16, 2014

LordOfThePants
Sep 25, 2002

blk posted:

There's an 04 Forester XT near me with 50k on the clock for $13000 at a Chevy dealer. Does that seem like a strangely good price (for the PacNW) to anyone else?

Dang, that's what I paid for my 05 back in 2009. The used Subaru market up there must be crazy.

If you buy that, make sure it's got the banjo bolt filters removed. Pretty sure that year had them.

May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747
Update on noise, took car to mechanic for timing belt, described the noise, hes like "yeah it's shocks we get that a lot". The benefits of going to a mechanic that races subarus for fun, and built his own ej20 buggy.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

Pillbug

22 Eargesplitten posted:

I have a '99 outback sport, is there a good guide to doing the accessory belt anywhere out there? And I just have one that runs everything, right? I just ask because the guy at the jiffy lube made reference to multiple belts. When it isn't so cold I'll have to take a look and make sure the timing belt isn't cracking too. It shouldn't be, I got it replaced about 25000 ago.

Edit: I think I will get a fumoto, I just took it to jiffy lube this time because I have no place to lie down that isn't covered in snow.

There are separate belts for A/C and P/S + Alternator, IIRC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grumbletron 4000
Nov 30, 2002

Where you want it, bitch.
College Slice

Grumbletron 4000 posted:

Girlfriends 2010 Legacy has no low beams. High beams and all other lights work fine. I checked the fuses and relays to no avail. Only thing I haven't tried is putting new bulbs in because that is an pain in the rear end job I didn't have time for last night. Is it possible they both popped at the same time? Seems unlikely but this car has been eating through headlights since we got it.

Both bulbs were burnt out. Damnedest thing that car. Its ridiculous how it goes through headlights. Especially since they're such a pain in the rear end to replace.