Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Stux
Nov 17, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 8 days!
ah pus yellow framed by ash grey how nice

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manky
Mar 20, 2007

Fun Shoe

Fax Sender posted:

How much does it cost

Looks to be about 119 euro or $150

Honestly really like Duesenberg stuff though, jonesing for a Starplayer TV was the inspiration for putting a Mean 90 and Loudmouth bucker in my Faux Paul.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

Manky posted:

Looks to be about 119 euro or $150

Honestly really like Duesenberg stuff though, jonesing for a Starplayer TV was the inspiration for putting a Mean 90 and Loudmouth bucker in my Faux Paul.

I got mine from ebay (new)- about $100 shipped - blew my mind that shipping was only 4 euro from Germany to Chicago!

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

everyone feels that way and gives up.
that's how they get away with it.

Stux posted:

yeah im not digging that antigua finish

most of the time i dont like bursts either, i think the color fade looks cheesy :kiddo:

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
The Baritone VM JM from Squier comes in Antiqua.

Honestly looks like a better idea than other VMJMs have the crappy old bridge:

Kinda wish I had gone with this because my JM isn't seeing much use anymore and I may trade/sell it for something else.

e: though you lose the rhythm/lead circuits, which I do use a lot.

This also may go with the thread, seeming how people feel about tort, but I was thinking of getting a tort pickguard for my white Tele and if I get a strat I would love this style:

booshi fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Nov 16, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

yes please

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
id get down with an antigua jm with, like, a white pickguard.

those antigua pickguards are gross though

booshi posted:

This also may go with the thread, seeming how people feel about tort, but I was thinking of getting a tort pickguard for my white Tele and if I get a strat I would love this style:

ive posted about my bass before, right?

sonic blue and tort, jaguar body. hnggggg. all the screws are out cause i had replaced the pickups and electronics and was making sure it all worked

shiksa fucked around with this message at 00:32 on Nov 17, 2014

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

sonic blue is a good color in my book

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

ThePutty posted:

is it possible to play slap guitar?

i would really like to see dr. faustus play slap guitar
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zca9aAmMYw4

He's been doing this a very long time, one of those child prodigy types:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tw2cQ94XcgI&t=43s

His album Omnidirectional was pretty terrifying to us when we first heard it, in part because we'd never heard anything like it before and also because much of the use of this technique is in unison with the bassist, which sounds very fat.

And, yeah, if I could do that I'd post videos of myself doing that on YouTube and you'd be watching it already.

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Nov 17, 2014

darkwasthenight
Jan 7, 2011

GENE TRAITOR

booshi posted:

Kinda wish I had gone with this because my JM isn't seeing much use anymore and I may trade/sell it for something else.

e: though you lose the rhythm/lead circuits, which I do use a lot.

I have one of these. It's OK, starting to think I would have got more use out of a Bass VI tuned up to B but we'll see. I do love the extra clarity you get from the low end but I'm so used to JMs these days I don't know how to cope without a trem bar, keep making spazzy motions after I hit chords where I'd usually shimmer (so all of them).

The finish is just too, too sexy in person though. Considering getting it routed for a trem tailpiece but I've spent my stupid music poo poo budget for the month already. Incidentally means I will have pics very very relevant to the thread coming up shortly... No dickholes alas.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

i went to one of these wrestling shows and it was... honestly? frickin boring. i wanna see ricky! i want to see his gold chains and respect for the ftw lifestyle
slap guitar actually sounds worse than i imagined it would, drat.

Dr. Faustus
Feb 18, 2001

Grimey Drawer

shiksa posted:

slap guitar actually sounds worse than i imagined it would, drat.
Just look at this album cover art! Mike Varney does it again!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lCvpxN8gEcQ
Same piece as before but with bass:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6mWQgCQKnPk

Nacho Mama!

Listening to that while watching this is blowing my mind, man!

Dr. Faustus fucked around with this message at 01:30 on Nov 17, 2014

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kyztHqZWkao

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
i also tend to write a lot of riffs that are kind of slap bass inspired but i don't actually slap and pop them i use a pick

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx

Dr. Faustus posted:

sounds like satriani wailing over the seinfeld theme

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

would.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
I like it when googling non-guitar stuff that I come across poo poo like this:

TinEye came back with only 1 result (an unrelated photo gallery) and I can't find any info on what the poo poo those switches do.

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

crashdome posted:

TinEye came back with only 1 result (an unrelated photo gallery) and I can't find any info on what the poo poo those switches do.

some sort of (terrible) on board effects to make it "sound" like a flute/oboe/clarinet, id guess. i wanna flip em all on and see what it does.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

Dr. Faustus posted:

Nacho Mama!

Listening to that while watching this is blowing my mind, man!

it sounds like a math rock version of the toy story theme

unlawfulsoup
May 12, 2001

Welcome home boys!

Stux posted:

I was thinking that when I become 60 (gently caress that), that is the kind of finish I would like on my guitar, as I kick out some sweet island blues riffs.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン

crashdome posted:

it was an all analog synthesizer guitar and it owns

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011
Is there more info on this? I'm kind of an electronics nerd and this type of stuff gives me boners.

muike
Mar 16, 2011

ガチムチ セブン
http://reverb.com/blog/switched-out-guitars-the-story-behind-all-those-knobs-and-toggles

pfs Write
Jun 29, 2014

get/save/remove

booshi posted:

this looks like a lovely tattoo but its a real guitar

shiksa
Nov 9, 2009

this is cool as gently caress btw

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

I wish I knew like, loving anything about electronics. I love the idea of having a zillion switches at hand to gently caress around with.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Allen Wren posted:

I wish I knew like, loving anything about electronics. I love the idea of having a zillion switches at hand to gently caress around with.

It's not that hard to learn because there are a million easy to follow diagrams for most things out there. The hard part is finding room for all the switches an wiring in the body and cutting the pickguard for them.

crashdome
Jun 28, 2011

This is great. Thanks.

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

Allen Wren posted:

synths

nishi koichi
Feb 16, 2007

someone keytar'd their microbrute

http://audio.accordo.it/article.do?id=80454

seems pointless if the neck doesnt actually have any buttons or even a modulation bar

W424
Oct 21, 2010

bad posts ahead!!! posted:

someone keytar'd their microbrute

http://audio.accordo.it/article.do?id=80454

seems pointless if the neck doesnt actually have any buttons or even a modulation bar

How to customize a synth: bolt it to some wood. Dude's even got the "preset" sheet on.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:
Thanks for all yer kind words on my ill-advised teenage lefthanded Hohner guitar conversion guys.

Although I have to say, I did not learn my lesson from it; the next guitar I owned after that was:

A right handed guitar... a right handed, *Hohner* guitar.

A right handed Hohner guitar, that I did hosed-up things to, to try and make it left-handed.

Nostalgic Pushead
Jul 31, 2013

Fair Hallion posted:

Thanks for all yer kind words on my ill-advised teenage lefthanded Hohner guitar conversion guys.

Although I have to say, I did not learn my lesson from it; the next guitar I owned after that was:

A right handed guitar... a right handed, *Hohner* guitar.

A right handed Hohner guitar, that I did hosed-up things to, to try and make it left-handed.

Do you have pictures of this? I assume not from the past tense but I'm hoping you do, as I would like to see more of your handiwork.

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

Fair Hallion posted:

As a left-handed player I sympathize. My first four or maybe six guitars were bought from Salvation Army stores for no more than $10 and re-strung lefty, including a Les Paul style guitar, which does not work well as a lefty at all.

I ended up making a mobile out of them and hanging them from the ceiling, where they were abandoned.

Hohner did make a pretty decent Les Paul style guitar, the L59, which came in a left handed version and is a very decent guitar once you rip out the electronics and replace it with knobs that turn in the right direction.

It annoys the hell out of me that some guitar companies think the knobs should turn in the opposite direction on left handed guitars.

Fair Hallion
Jul 25, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot: :toot:

Sleepflower posted:

Do you have pictures of this? I assume not from the past tense but I'm hoping you do, as I would like to see more of your handiwork.

I can rustle up a couple of pics probably, sure. It wasn't done quite as impetuously (read: amusingly) as that first one but it was still a bit WTF.

Actuary X posted:

As a left-handed player I sympathize. My first four or maybe six guitars were bought from Salvation Army stores for no more than $10 and re-strung lefty, including a Les Paul style guitar, which does not work well as a lefty at all.

gently caress, single cutaway guitars (obv!) are the worst looking things to string upside down. I don't think I've ever seen any lefties do this. If they were the only option for me at the time, I'd definitely have got out the saw again.

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat
Making left-handed guitars is the easiest thing, you just flip the template around, no idea why some builders poo poo their pants over making them.

I once flipped a template around by accident on a single-cutaway body.

I'll get around to finishing it one day

I left the goontar template out in the rain like an idiot and now I have to make a new one :(. MDF doesn't like getting wet.

Hefty Leftist
Jun 26, 2011

"You know how vodka or whiskey are distilled multiple times to taste good? It's the same with shit. After being digested for the third time shit starts to taste reeeeeeaaaally yummy."

White Dog Eggs posted:

Making left-handed guitars is the easiest thing, you just flip the template around, no idea why some builders poo poo their pants over making them.

I once flipped a template around by accident on a single-cutaway body.

I'll get around to finishing it one day

I left the goontar template out in the rain like an idiot and now I have to make a new one :(. MDF doesn't like getting wet.

you couldn't vigorously document the goontar from start to finish could you? like a 'how to build a guitar' manual or something

Barnaby Rudge
Jan 15, 2011

so your telling me you wasn't drunk or fucked up in anyway.when you had sex with me and that monkey
Soiled Meat

ThePutty posted:

you couldn't vigorously document the goontar from start to finish could you? like a 'how to build a guitar' manual or something

gently caress it, why not. I am poo poo at taking pictures of stuff so I should probably get used to doing it (I've actually documented a few of my more expensive builds but lost all the files in a hard drive crash, should probably email the owners to see if they still have any copies).

Can anyone remember what pickups I was going to use? I've got lots of lovely single-coil pickups so unless anyone has an objections, I might get creative with them...

GBScaster news: The artist who was going to do the decal is now not replying to my messages. Last time we spoke the 23rd was mentioned, so fingers crossed. If it doesn't transpire I'll see if I can whip something up or get someone else to do something similar.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:
e:^^^^^^^^
That reminds me I was working on a "so you want to build pedals" writeup that I never got around to finishing. Grad school.

Actuary X posted:

It annoys the hell out of me that some guitar companies think the knobs should turn in the opposite direction on left handed guitars.

I bet they're just too cheap to buy reverse pots, so you get standard pots for a righty, which would be "backwards" for lefties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Actuary X
Jul 20, 2007

Not really the best actuary in the world.

booshi posted:

I bet they're just too cheap to buy reverse pots, so you get standard pots for a righty, which would be "backwards" for lefties.
My preference is that they use regular pots and wire them up so turning clockwise=more, the same as any pretty much any volume or tone control on anything. Some companies wire them in reverse, sometimes with a reverse pot, sometimes not.

Carvin wires them up the way I like. My Hohner LP was reversed (I ripped out all the wiring and redid it). I have a Pedulla that is not only reversed, but the (active) electronics are covered in some goo so have to replace them all the change them.

Actuary X fucked around with this message at 17:06 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread