Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Captain Magic posted:

Are there many other figures on his level of complexity and quality?

I wish, buddy. I loving wish.

Some of the Human Alliance figures are pretty rad - hell, the whole ROTF + TF2010 line(s) had brilliant engineering in general - but just about anything is a step down from ROTF Prime, at least in terms of complexity. I mean, MP Megatron is bonkers, but it'll snap in two if you don't do things EXACTLY RIGHT.

EDIT: If I was gonna make a list of Really Good Transformations:

• The MP Car molds - Prowl, Sideswipe, and Wheeljack (Bumblebee coming soon).
  • MP-10 Optimus Prime.
  • "New Version" MP Seekers
  • TF2010 Leader Class Movie!Starscream
  • TF2010 Deluxe Class Battle Blades Bumblebee
  • Human Alliance Jazz (allegedly; tragically, I haven't got one).
  • TF Prime First Edition Bulkhead (INCREDIBLE use of mass, like holy cow)
  • TF Prime RID Vehicon (simple but super-cool and satisfying)
  • The Masterpiece Cassettes are marvels of engineering

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 03:31 on Nov 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Aren't they just, I've had them sat here the last year or so on my desk and I still play with them, they loving rule.

I've now seen Combiner Wars Dragstrip on card and it looks like Gorilla Arms. Think I'll go for the Aerialbots instead.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Goldskull posted:

I've now seen Combiner Wars Dragstrip on card and it looks like Gorilla Arms. Think I'll go for the Aerialbots instead.

No gorilla arms here! The shoulders loook... limited, but looking at the carded image it's clear that there's a balljoint at each shoulder that's mistransformed in the stock photo.

Like, those red shoulders should be moved WAY up-and-out. It'll look fine.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Yeah one of the plane dudes has his shoulders similarly mistransformed. People should be used to Hasbro's stock photography shenanigans at this point, but oh well.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

DoctorWhat posted:

Springer???

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

DoctorWhat posted:

I found this guy to be pretty overhyped, to be honest.

And I paid half price on him, so it isn't buyer's remorse acting up or something.

Captain Magic
Apr 4, 2005

Yes, we have feathers--but the muscles of men.

DoctorWhat posted:

I wish, buddy. I loving wish.

Some of the Human Alliance figures are pretty rad - hell, the whole ROTF + TF2010 line(s) had brilliant engineering in general - but just about anything is a step down from ROTF Prime, at least in terms of complexity. I mean, MP Megatron is bonkers, but it'll snap in two if you don't do things EXACTLY RIGHT.

• The MP Car molds - Prowl, Sideswipe, and Wheeljack (Bumblebee coming soon).
  • MP-10 Optimus Prime.
  • "New Version" MP Seekers
  • TF2010 Leader Class Movie!Starscream
  • TF2010 Deluxe Class Battle Blades Bumblebee
  • TF Prime First Edition Bulkhead (INCREDIBLE use of mass, like holy cow)
  • TF Prime RID Vehicon (simple but super-cool and satisfying)

Yeah I've got all of those except for the Battle Blades Bumblebee and the Starscream, I think. They are real good. I've given up on Bulkhead, though--he never wants to stay tabbed together in alt mode.

If I were to throw third-party in the mix, I'd add MMC Hexatron. I have other ones with really complex, neat transformations that I love, but they also carry the "Holy poo poo I could break this at any time" factor. But Hexatron is just sturdy as hell.

EDIT: Hegemon =/ Hexatron

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Springer's car mode kinda falls apart near the back and the helicopter mode's tail-panel isn't great either... but he (and Sandstorm) are still great. Love'm to bits.

BUT neither are really great holy poo poo amazing the way the members of The List are. To get on The List, they'd need to have:
  • Better feet (especially Sandstorm, the guy's a back-heavy mess!)
  • More secure locking at that joint just above the knee.
  • Better car-mode backside (Springer, mostly).
  • Copter modes that hold together better.

Captain Magic posted:

Yeah I've got all of those except for the Battle Blades Bumblebee and the Starscream, I think. They are real good. I've given up on Bulkhead, though--he never wants to stay tabbed together in alt mode.

If I were to throw third-party in the mix, I'd add MMC Hexatron. I have other ones with really complex, neat transformations that I love, but they also carry the "Holy poo poo I could break this at any time" factor. But Hexatron is just sturdy as hell.

EDIT: Hegemon =/ Hexatron

Leader ROTF Starscream is a joy, with his ONLY downside being his Gorilla Arms - but he doesn't hold things, and so can better get away with it, PLUS the transformation requirements. It's such a sick-nasty jet, AND the Takara version doesn't have the ROTF tats if that's a problem. Wonderful figure.

Battle Blades Bumblebee also has the Gorilla Arms issue, but it's wonderfully intricate and slavishly-engineered and has every little micro-transformation they could muster engineered into him.

Spiderdrake posted:

I found this guy to be pretty overhyped, to be honest.

And I paid half price on him, so it isn't buyer's remorse acting up or something.

I will take him off your hands immediately.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 16, 2014

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

The tapes are great but how could MP Soundwave not be included? He may be one of the best Transformers ever made.

IMO at least.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

therealjon_ posted:

The tapes are great but how could MP Soundwave not be included? He may be one of the best Transformers ever made.

IMO at least.

I wasn't ranking good transformers. I was listing extremely good transformations.

Soundwave turns from a boxy man into a box. I have toys made of wood and rubber bands that turn from a boxy man into a box better than MP Soundwave does. He's a very good boxy man, and a pretty okay box as long as you don't look at the back, but it's not all that impressive in terms of how he gets from point A to point B.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Fair enough, I still found it pretty impressive.

EDIT: Also holy poo poo Azalea is a bitch to get into her spaceship mode :(

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=skPARawMxI8 Thew disagrees on BB...B...Bee. ugh... (cameo at 3:35 by the way)

And Dragstrip is like a flame decal, wrist blasters, and new head away from being Rodimus, so Movie TF combiners? Which could mean a combiner with him, UM, Arcee, Cup and Blurr, going by the other Bruticus members. (I swear to god, if we get a blades repaint as Springer instead of one of them, I will leave him without an arm, Hasbro.)

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

DoctorWhat posted:

No gorilla arms here! The shoulders loook... limited, but looking at the carded image it's clear that there's a balljoint at each shoulder that's mistransformed in the stock photo.

Like, those red shoulders should be moved WAY up-and-out. It'll look fine.

I will stand corrected then. Not a fan of that look in bot mode but the car looks pretty ballin'.

RTS Lugnut has the best transformation anyway. I also enjoy Scourge's.

My Sandstorm never tabbed correctly in dune buggy mode, I think there's a prob with one of his shoulders, which again shows up Hsbro's lovely QC standards of late.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:

Spiderdrake posted:

Lockdown is such a bummer. If you step back from the amazing HFTD Lockdown in your mind, he is actually quite nice for a modern deluxe. Tons of paint, he's a beautiful color, they picked out details on his legs and body. But his arms are terrible and to quote Thew he's TOO SMALL. He does peg together well in both molds, something most backpackformers don't do.

I opened Lockdown, transformed it twice, then sold it. Legends-class arms is where I draw the line on how far hasbro can take the piss on modern deluxes.
Also his legs were total flop-o-rama.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Goldskull posted:

I will stand corrected then. Not a fan of that look in bot mode but the car looks pretty ballin'.

RTS Lugnut has the best transformation anyway. I also enjoy Scourge's.

My Sandstorm never tabbed correctly in dune buggy mode, I think there's a prob with one of his shoulders, which again shows up Hsbro's lovely QC standards of late.

RTS Lugnut was also a candidate for The List, yeah. I wish I had a Generations Scourge, but I hosed up one of my only chances. Same with MP Grimlock. Oh, what a foolish squid I've been :zoid:

My Sandstorm has totally worthlessly-loose feet. :smith: Springer's aren't all that much tighter, really, but on Springer it's the TOES that are loose, rather than the heels giving way, plus Springer's not burdened by the huge backpack, plus he's got the tailfins to serve as additional heel support, so he can stand up just fine while Sandstorm can barely stand at all.

DoctorWhat fucked around with this message at 18:23 on Nov 16, 2014

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

I picked up MP Grimlock today! Can't wait to open him.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

The_Doctor posted:

Me picked up MP Grimlock today! Me Can't wait to open him.

I mean, if you're gonna post about Grimlock...

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

DoctorWhat posted:

RTS Lugnut was also a candidate for The List, yeah. I wish I had a Generations Scourge, but I hosed up one of my only chances. Same with MP Grimlock. Oh, what a foolish squid I've been :zoid:

Gen Scourge, aside from the arms, doesn't really have an inspired transformation. He does look fantastic in both modes but how you get there is just alright.

You want a complex transformation, hunt down WFC Optimus. I'm sure I sound like a broken record with how often I bring up him and Skyhammer, but that dude is intense. Like a little red and blue Rubik's Cube.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

I have WFC Optimus and I love him to bits but his transformation is almost too big for him. It'd make for a daunting Voyager. And even in 2010ish, DLX plastic quality struggled with that level of complexity.

And, of course, Skyhammer is masterful, but he's not exactly complex - just clever.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hey, Scoop isn't half bad! Especially for $10!

I think what drew me back to TF collecting is they've really perfected making these guys into fantastic action figures that also turn into cars and planes and poo poo.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rhyno posted:

Hey, Scoop isn't half bad! Especially for $10!

I think what drew me back to TF collecting is they've really perfected making these guys into fantastic action figures that also turn into cars and planes and poo poo.

And then those bastards cut costs until the focus groups approved shampoo bottles and deluxes became scouts. 2012 is the date spiderdrake and I settled on.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

strangehamster posted:

And then those bastards cut costs until the focus groups approved shampoo bottles and deluxes became scouts. 2012 is the date spiderdrake and I settled on.

The shrinking size of the toys does suck but I can't help but be impressed with the state of the main line (meaning not the film poo poo).

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Some of the film poo poo is really neat, though. But I love this painbow of Dinobots on my desktop's case.

strangehamster posted:

Specifically between FE and PRID.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Spiderdrake posted:

Some of the film poo poo is really neat, though. But I love this painbow of Dinobots on my desktop's case.

And you will know them by the plastic clip on wheels!

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. I got Skrapnel, but all it makes me wish is that I was able to get a Generations Kickback. :(

And I refuse to pay triple retail for one on ebay, no matter how great it is.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Spiderdrake posted:

I went hog wild on the first film toys but later sold them all (in a previous thread I think) with no remorse. I know people rave about some of the line but I just don't care much for them at this point. It doesn't hurt that the Generations line is so loving awesome right now.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

My love for AoE Galvatron has only grown since I got him on a whim. He's so beefy and has the right amount of articulation and only needs some metallic touch ups to make his details pop. He's got a beastly cannon arm and it's like he's telling you "yeah, I'm shameless shellformer" and even his shellformerism is well done. I pick him up surprisingly often to put on my desk.

I'm overall much more satisfied with AoE toys than I was with DotM, since they kept it short and simple and we got some great figures out of it. Shame about Lockdown, I'm not planning on picking him up anymore.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rhyno posted:

I went hog wild on the first film toys but later sold them all (in a previous thread I think) with no remorse. I know people rave about some of the line but I just don't care much for them at this point. It doesn't hurt that the Generations line is so loving awesome right now.

I think when people talk about good movie toys, they're mostly gushing about the non-movie movie transformers. Guys like Wreckage and Dropkick, among others.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Hmmm. I guess that must be it.

In other news Skybite is a loving bitch to turn into a shark.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Captain Invictus posted:

I think when people talk about good movie toys, they're mostly gushing about the non-movie movie transformers. Guys like Wreckage and Dropkick, among others.

Yep, honestly it's the Mindwipes and Lockdowns that come to mind when one thinks of the very best movie era toys. But there's a handful of excellent onscreen character toys too!

GrimGypsy
Mar 27, 2007

So I finally found Snarl and completed my Dinobots. He's pretty neat except for his hands. Dear God, his hands. I mean, gorilla arms is one thing but I don't even know how to sum up the stupid way his hands are forced to be in robot mode.

They took the time to mold a whole fake dinosaur head/neck assembly so his legs would look nice and even in 'bot mode, but they couldn't fix these godawful hands?

GrimGypsy fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Nov 17, 2014

Zaa Boogie
Sep 13, 2007

"Suckle on this receptacle!"
Dang, BBTS and/or TFSource, when are preorders for Combiner Wars going up?

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."

Rhyno posted:

In other news Skybite is a loving bitch to turn into a shark.

Yes, yes he is. All the panels that have to line up just so. :cripes:

But still, shark! Now I need a stand that will peg into that hole on his belly so he can float.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

The_Doctor posted:

Yes, yes he is. All the panels that have to line up just so. :cripes:

But still, shark! Now I need a stand that will peg into that hole on his belly so he can float.

Looks like Barnes and Noble are selling figma stands now, so you could give that a try.

Goldskull
Feb 20, 2011

Ah is that what they're called? Do they have the hexagonal end on them that Sky Byte needs?

I also feel dirty for GISing the stands too now, so much loving little girl with massive gun anime bullshit.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's not hexagonal but it does fit that peghole size perfectly. I have one from my figma Samus which I love.

There's also these other ones called Tamashii (?) I dunno how good they are.

e: someone posted this mod for AoE Lockdown that improves his height and overall proportions and keeps him transformable (requires some cutting).

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 22:11 on Nov 17, 2014

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

So does anyone here actually know what the "QC issues" people keep screaming about vis a vis Roadbuster are? I keep seeing posts about it in various reviews but no one details what we're supposed to look at in the store.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Maybe the insanely tight should swivels?

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

It's nothing you can detect while it's still in the box anyway. The issues were a bit exaggerated anyway, but they are there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Captain Invictus posted:

Maybe the insanely tight should swivels?
Those did look bad. Can the pegs be pulled out and slightly fixed or are they sealed?

Blackheart posted:

It's nothing you can detect while it's still in the box anyway. The issues were a bit exaggerated anyway, but they are there.
But don't tell me or anything ARGH