Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.

petewhitley posted:

You say you doubt it's the jailbreak but that is glaringly the most obvious culprit.

If that was directed at me, (it's been many posts and you didn't quote) yes, it could be. Which is why I just got done restoring to stock 8.1. I will keep an eye on it and report back.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

My 6's having poo poo battery life recently too. No jailbreak. Just did a restart + killed a bunch of background updates and it seems to be doing better but I'll see if it worked tomorrow morning. I normally charge my phone in the evening, sleep with it off charger to use the alarm and check some email if I feel like it. Top if off in the morning. That typically barely makes a dent in my battery but it's been worse and it's draining while I sleep too. I'll go to sleep with it at 80% or so and wake up with a low battery warning :ohdear:

No idea what's causing this. It was fine after the 8.1 update but it went to poo poo last week :(

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
I be tellin' ya that got dang Facebook app drains battery better than a sponge on a fat boy fohead.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Facebook's been only 7% last 24 hours and 9% last week. The worst apps at top of usage now used to barely make a dent in my battery life.

Wengy
Feb 6, 2008

I love how "Notes" is draining 9% of my battery on average even though I've never even opened the app.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Wengy posted:

I love how "Notes" is draining 9% of my battery on average even though I've never even opened the app.

It updates in the background in concert with your email I think. I had it and the mail app aa my top drains until I reduced the mail check interval.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Nope, the hard reset didn't do anything. Went to sleep with 80%, woke up with my phone dead.

I'm going to swing by the Apple Store later today and maybe try for a replacement device.

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?
Does Best Buy/Walmart have payment plan options for the new Ipads like ATT does?

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Cool, my loose iPhone 6 button fixed itself and is perfect now. Since it was an intermittent problem before, I was waiting for it to get worse so I could take it to the Apple store without having the guy go "feels fine to me".

Also by fixed itself I mean that after jamming it in as hard as I could over and over again I felt something soft give way and then it was fine.

EconOutlines
Jul 3, 2004

Looking for advice from 5S users who upgraded to 6 or 6 plus.

I'm with Verizon which has a 1 year left using a 16GB 5S. Usually, they would let you purchase a new phone every year at subsidized pricing if you signed another contract but I guess this has changed. So my options are,

-Pay in full
-'Rent to own' and have upgrade restrictions
-Switch carriers/pay EFT/Sell 5S/See how it evens out

I'm currently on an unlimited talk/text/1GB LTE for ~$52/month. I'm wondering if upgrading now is even worth the additional cost or if so, how best to mitigate it.

EconOutlines fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Nov 15, 2014

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

goodness posted:

Does Best Buy/Walmart have payment plan options for the new Ipads like ATT does?

You could put in the store credit card I guess

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<
Alright, this is interesting. I was tired of having my icloud account tied to an email address I never use anymore, so I changed it. Problem is, now I've got another device, my iPad, that's asking for my icloud password... for the old email address. The one that's not tied to any account anymore. I've tried deleting the icloud account completely from this iPad, but of course it needs a password in order to turn off find my phone. How do I fix this? Do I need to reset my account back to the old email just so I can log into this iPad and turn off FMP?

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I hate to ask the obvious stupid question, but you didn't actually say:.did you try just putting in your password anyway?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Similar question as the person above. I'm on Verizon via a family plan and want to buy a 6+ out of contract.

Is there any reason to not buy the T-Mobile one from the store and activate it with my 5S sim?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

EconOutlines posted:

Looking for advice from 5S users who upgraded to 6 or 6 plus.

I'm with Verizon which has a 1 year left using a 16GB 5S. Usually, they would let you purchase a new phone every year at subsidized pricing if you signed another contract but I guess this has changed. So my options are,

-Pay in full
-'Rent to own' and have upgrade restrictions
-Switch carriers/pay EFT/Sell 5S/See how it evens out

I'm currently on an unlimited talk/text/1GB LTE for ~$52/month. I'm wondering if upgrading now is even worth the additional cost or if so, how best to mitigate it.

I thought if you moved to T-Mobile they'd cover your ETF. Or did they stop that promotion?

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

sellouts posted:

Similar question as the person above. I'm on Verizon via a family plan and want to buy a 6+ out of contract.

Is there any reason to not buy the T-Mobile one from the store and activate it with my 5S sim?

Yeah, the CDMA crap. T-Mobile/ATT iPhones won't work on Verizon's network IIRC.

Feenix
Mar 14, 2003
Sorry, guy.
Follow up on my restore (removing Jailbreak) in my 6+:

It's only been one day since my charge ( well, I unplugged it at 7am and it's now 11pm. (And also I'd characterize my usage today as a tad light, but not far off my previous days.) but I still have more than 50% battery left whereas the last couple of weeks by 8pm it's been giving me a warning of 20%.

I'll keep my eye on it.

Tomato Soup
Jan 16, 2006

Saw a Genius today who ran diagnostics on my 6, my battery was fine but for some reason my apps crashed a lot and he was kind of impressed by the amount since it's the highest he's seen. He reset the app settings and told me to wipe my phone if that didn't work.

Feenix posted:

Follow up on my restore (removing Jailbreak) in my 6+:

It's only been one day since my charge ( well, I unplugged it at 7am and it's now 11pm. (And also I'd characterize my usage today as a tad light, but not far off my previous days.) but I still have more than 50% battery left whereas the last couple of weeks by 8pm it's been giving me a warning of 20%.

I'll keep my eye on it.

I went in to an Apple store today for the almost same issue minus the JB so let me know if the restore worked out for you. If not, try clearing your app settings maybe. I don't know :(

Guess I'll see tomorrow how it worked out for mine too :ohdear:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

flosofl posted:

The 6's are universal now I believe.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

So hey, my wife dropped her 2 week old iPhone 6 on the ground and the screen shattered. Luckily we live close to an Apple Store and got the screen fixed for 109 in just under an hour.

The last time I broke a screen was for my Sidekick 3, and was told to basically gently caress off and buy a new phone. It's pretty awesome to be able to do that for a cell phone these days and get it fixed pretty god drat quick.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

So hey, my wife dropped her 2 week old iPhone 6 on the ground and the screen shattered. Luckily we live close to an Apple Store and got the screen fixed for 109 in just under an hour.

The last time I broke a screen was for my Sidekick 3, and was told to basically gently caress off and buy a new phone. It's pretty awesome to be able to do that for a cell phone these days and get it fixed pretty god drat quick.

Did you have Applecare? 109 seems incredibly cheap to fix.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

Avocados posted:

Did you have Applecare? 109 seems incredibly cheap to fix.

Nope. Applecare is $79 to replace the screen of a 6.

edit: Apple Support link:
https://www.apple.com/support/iphone/repair/screen-damage/

quote:

Screen Damage

Accidents happen. Sometimes a screen can get cracked or shattered. We’re here to help.

Request iPhone service

You can mail us your iPhone, make an appointment with a Genius at an Apple Retail Store, or click or tap below to start a service request and see more service options.

How long will it take?

Service at an Apple Retail Store is normally completed on the day of your appointment. If you send in your iPhone for service, you’ll receive a replacement or your repaired iPhone in three to five business days. A replacement iPhone will be new or equivalent to new in both performance and reliability.

How much does iPhone screen repair cost?

Repair and replacement costs depend on your iPhone model and your AppleCare coverage.

When you request screen repair online or by phone, Apple will place an authorization on your credit card to cover the iPhone out-of-warranty cost. We’ll charge this amount if your iPhone has additional damage and is eligible for out-of-warranty service. If your iPhone has no damage other than the screen, we’ll charge the amount below. Learn more.

iPhone 6: $109
iPhone 6 Plus, iPhone 5s, iPhone 5c, iPhone 5: $129
Plus a $6.95 shipping fee. Fees are in USD and exclude local tax. Pricing applies only to screen repair by Apple. Accidental damage isn’t covered under the Apple One Year Limited Warranty.
Have AppleCare+?

AppleCare+ covers two incidents of accidental damage with a $79 service fee. You can also use our Express Replacement Service to get a replacement even before sending us your iPhone. You can check if you have AppleCare+ by entering your iPhone serial number.

Make sure you back up your iPhone before you send it to Apple or bring it to an Apple Retail Store.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Choadmaster posted:

Not really. They're the same model number and support all the same frequencies and such, but due to the aforementioned CDMA crap, Verizon will only activate Verizon phones. There's no reason the OP can't buy a Verizon model off-contract, though. It's the same as it was with the 5s.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

flosofl posted:

Choadmaster posted:

Yep. Pretty confusing. Some say yes, some say no. I wish I could figure it out.

I mean I guess I could return it to Apple If it didn't work.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

It seems like the seam between the screen and the shell on the 6 could be better. I've only had mine a week and I'm already pulling little bits of fuzz out that's been pinched between it. I can't imagine how bad that's going to look in a year.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Am I dumb as hell, or is 180 degree screen rotation entirely dependent on app support on the iPhone vs. iPad, where the OS handles it?

Now that my headphone jack is on the same side as the charging cable, I actually care about this on the 6 vs. the 4S.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

sellouts posted:

Yep. Pretty confusing. Some say yes, some say no. I wish I could figure it out.

I mean I guess I could return it to Apple If it didn't work.
I can give you 100% assurance that an unlocked phone will NOT work on Verizon. Here's straight from Apple's tech specs where you'll not the A1549 (GSM) does NOT have the appropriate CDMA bits (I suppose you could *technically* run on VoLTE all the time, but Verizon currently only allows VoLTE to VoLTE calling within network, so you'd not be calling many people):

"Apple.com posted:

Model A1549 (GSM)*
Model A1522 (GSM)*

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

Model A1549 (CDMA)*
Model A1522 (CDMA)*

CDMA EV-DO Rev. A and Rev. B (800, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

UMTS/HSPA+/DC-HSDPA (850, 900, 1700/2100, 1900, 2100 MHz)

GSM/EDGE (850, 900, 1800, 1900 MHz)

LTE (Bands 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 7, 8, 13, 17, 18, 19, 20, 25, 26, 28, 29)

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Verizon will not activate a T-Mobile iPhone 6, if you took it to a Verizon shop and asked to establish service under a new account.

However, and this really surprises me to read this -- if you had an existing Verizon SIM that was connected to an activated account and put it into the device, it'd work just fine (even with CDMA functionality), according to reports in these support forum posts. This was definitely not the case with the 5/5s, though.

But who knows as to whether this is a policy change with Verizon or a hardware/software change with the iPhone 6, and a future business decision from Verizon or a software update from Apple will kill it.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That's interesting, but for the reasons you indicated, I wouldn't rely on it. It's not like you can't buy a Verizon model off-contract.

jackpot
Aug 31, 2004

First cousin to the Black Rabbit himself. Such was Woundwort's monument...and perhaps it would not have displeased him.<

Choadmaster posted:

I hate to ask the obvious stupid question, but you didn't actually say:.did you try just putting in your password anyway?
Yeah, I tried; doesn't work. That's why I think I have to change my account back to that old email - it's the only way I'll be able to log into that particular icloud account.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

movax posted:

Am I dumb as hell, or is 180 degree screen rotation entirely dependent on app support on the iPhone vs. iPad, where the OS handles it?

Now that my headphone jack is on the same side as the charging cable, I actually care about this on the 6 vs. the 4S.

It is a convention to enable upside down use on the iPad but not the iPhone. I think some apps are allowing upside down on the 6 plus, however.

Whirlwind Jones
Apr 13, 2013

by Lowtax

movax posted:

The iPhone "standard" that Apple says to go by is to make the speaker on the right when in landscape mode. It's up to the app to decide what they support, but that's likely why many apps only allow one orientation.

Peteyfoot
Nov 24, 2007
Is it just me or is there now an emoji button in the iOS Safari search keyboard that wasn't there before? It makes the space bar small enough that I.end.up.entering.searches.like.this accidentally.

Any way to turn this off specifically in the Safari search field? I'm never going to search for emoji in a phrase and there are no websites with emoji in the URL.

spongeworthy
Jan 16, 2009

terre packet posted:

Is it just me or is there now an emoji button in the iOS Safari search keyboard that wasn't there before? It makes the space bar small enough that I.end.up.entering.searches.like.this accidentally.

Any way to turn this off specifically in the Safari search field? I'm never going to search for emoji in a phrase and there are no websites with emoji in the URL.

Hate to keep repeating the "if you're jailbroken" line, but this exists in a tweak called Go.Away.Period.Button

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Endless Mike posted:

That's interesting, but for the reasons you indicated, I wouldn't rely on it. It's not like you can't buy a Verizon model off-contract.

That's what I'm confused about, seems like most people are getting it to work. Just easier to find stock locally of the Tmobile. Edit: I guess not, stock seems to be much better this week on the Verizon edition

Anyways, for those buying second hand or whatever, here's a listening of part numbers as it's otherwise hard to tell.

http://www.techwalls.com/differences-between-iphone-6-6-plus-models/

sellouts fucked around with this message at 04:50 on Nov 17, 2014

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

terre packet posted:

Luckily you can just roll with it and 98% of the time Google will figure out what you meant.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Finally got a chance to use ApplePay at Whole Foods... did not work as well as swiping my card normally. TouchID didn't work after two tries so I had to enter my passcode. And then still had to sign.

SMERSH Mouth
Jun 25, 2005

NESguerilla posted:

It seems like the seam between the screen and the shell on the 6 could be better. I've only had mine a week and I'm already pulling little bits of fuzz out that's been pinched between it. I can't imagine how bad that's going to look in a year.

Yeah, the spaces between the glass and metal on the right and left sides of my phone are just barely uneven, but I can definitely feel it within I run my finger over the gap. I'm not too worried about crud getting into it because I keep a case on most of the time, but after coming from a 4 and a 5c that were both basically flawless, I'm a little surprised by the imperfect fit and finish of my 6. Besides the edge gaps, there's also a tiny sliver of material peeking out from the side of the front camera, making the lens look ever so slightly offset from center.

This is also my third replacement phone from the Apple store (the two previous replacements were due to internal issues) and I suspect that it's a refurb, so maybe it didn't come like this from the factory.

Ass Catchcum
Dec 21, 2008
I REALLY NEED TO SHUT THE FUCK UP FOREVER.
Not to be contrary but I've used Apple pay at whole foods all week and all I had to do was tap my phone on the card reader, thumb my print, hit enter on the card reader to use my card as credit and I was done.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chemmy
Feb 4, 2001

I had to sign at Whole Foods when I used Apple Pay.