Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lurdiak
Feb 26, 2006

I believe in a universe that doesn't care, and people that do.

Considering it's a future setting, what he's referring to might just be generic worldbuilding, rather than a specific event from the "present day" shows. Like that vague world war with Ras.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Well, there was a flashback to Superman being captured by that alien who keeps the last of a species in a giant ship (forget his name) that I think was lifted straight from the Superman cartoon, so I figured it was in continuity.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Yeah, it's almost certainly talking about the Darkseid incident. More people should watch Superman:TAS. It's really good, and the Darkseid episodes especially so. The show ends with basically only Lois and Supergirl trusting Superman after what happened, and leads directly into the New Gods story in Justice League and the Cadmus/Waller stuff in JLU.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Yeah. The Superman animated run lives in the shadow of how much better Batman was, which ends up being unfair since it's one of the best treatments of Superman in any medium.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
"In the end, the world didn't need a Superman... Just a brave one."

:cry:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

"In the end, the world didn't need a Superman... Just a brave one."

:cry:

See, the thing I remember most about that two-parter was them committing to Maggie Sawyer's character, even if they had to be super-subtle about it.
Turpin's death is a powerful moment, no doubt, and a wonderful tribute to Jack.

And the quote I remember most from the whole run?

"I am many things, Kal-El. But here? I am God."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
In the first episode of Justice League, isn't one of the reasons the white martians/HG Wells war of the worlds aliens so easily take over is all the world governments agree to give up their most deadly weapons, because they trust Superman to handle the major threats? I don't think the various animated series have as tight of continuity as people think.

The Superman cartoon was dope, and honestly the reason I could never get into the Justice League cartoon was because Tim Daly couldn't come back as Superman because he was too busy doing that Fugitive reboot tv show no one remembers ever existed.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

In the first episode of Justice League, isn't one of the reasons the white martians/HG Wells war of the worlds aliens so easily take over is all the world governments agree to give up their most deadly weapons, because they trust Superman to handle the major threats? I don't think the various animated series have as tight of continuity as people think.

They say outright in that same episode that Superman had spent his time since Legacy working to rebuild the trust of the people, and General Wells and the military still distrust him for what happened in that episode. The events from the Superman: TAS finale are explicitly called out there. The only reason the US Government agreed was because the effort on their end was spearheaded by a White Martian-equivalent in disguise.

Not that the continuity was perfect, there were definite problems at times, but that specific example wasn't much of a continuity glitch.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Skwirl posted:

In the first episode of Justice League, isn't one of the reasons the white martians/HG Wells war of the worlds aliens so easily take over is all the world governments agree to give up their most deadly weapons, because they trust Superman to handle the major threats?
Superman has a super-boner about disarmament, to be sure, but you're forgetting that JL superman was also supposed to be pretty aged by then (what with they greyed temples and age-lines). I'm forgetting what happens in terms of dialogue but I'm pretty sure there's mention of having had to regain all that trust gradually.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Greyed temples and age lines? Are you thinking of a different Justice League cartoon?

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

Greyed temples and age lines? Are you thinking of a different Justice League cartoon?

Season One

Season Two(?) / JLU

Maybe just age-lines then.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I don't see the greying temples. His hair is supposed to be shiny. And, if your labelling is correct, there appear to be fewer lines on his face in season 2 and Justice League Unlimited.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Phylodox posted:

I don't see the greying temples. His hair is supposed to be shiny. And, if your labelling is correct, there appear to be fewer lines on his face in season 2 and Justice League Unlimited.

I think they actually removed the lines because it made him look too old. That it wasn't what they were going for in the redesign.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I don't think it had anything to do with a lot of time passing so much as it just being a stylistic choice. The same way that Bruce suddenly got blue eyes and stopped dressing like a hobo.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The face lines were a deliberate thing by the producers. It was supposed to be a legacy from the end of Superman:TAS and they only went away after he got closure from the Darkseid fight.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I don't think it had anything to do with a lot of time passing so much as it just being a stylistic choice. The same way that Bruce suddenly got blue eyes and stopped dressing like a hobo.
It was a conscious choice to establish time passing from STAS, but still being in the overall universe established by BTAS.
It was rolled back after the first season because it just didn't get with where they were going with the plots. Over time, the appeal of an older, redeemed Superman lost importance.

As for Blue eyes Bruce, the Timmroid standardization made changing the two pretty necessary.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Nov 16, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

FilthyImp posted:

As for Blue eyes Bruce, the Timmroid standardization made changing the two pretty necessary.

Oh my god, this is how wookiepedia started.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

Oh my god, this is how wookiepedia started.

Huh? It's a joke about how all Bruce Timm's male characters look the same/like they're on steroids.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Skwirl posted:

The Superman cartoon was dope, and honestly the reason I could never get into the Justice League cartoon was because Tim Daly couldn't come back as Superman because he was too busy doing that Fugitive reboot tv show no one remembers ever existed.

That first season of Justice League is god-loving-awful, but it did improve dramatically with the season season (thanks to Bruce Timm coming back and bringing people like Dwayne McDuffie on board) and then the third is easily the best superhero show ever produced. The fourth season is an unfortunate afterthought with some very good moments.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Season 1 has the faux JSA episode and the one with the Injustice Gang, where Batman wins by seducing Cheetah and bribing the Ultra-Humanite. So you're wrong.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Gaz-L posted:

Season 1 has the faux JSA episode and the one with the Injustice Gang, where Batman wins by seducing Cheetah and bribing the Ultra-Humanite. So you're wrong.

I love the Legends two parter so much. I miss the DCAU a whole lot.

Dr. Hurt
Oct 23, 2010

Gaz-L posted:

Watching Joker spend the entire episode trying to convince Lex to kill Batman just perfectly captured their relationship. Sure, the pacing of some of the episodes was a tad slow but really Injustice For All really makes up for it. Ultra-Humanite being the one that betrays them for cash was a great twist.

CapnAndy
Feb 27, 2004

Some teeth long for ripping, gleaming wet from black dog gums. So you keep your eyes closed at the end. You don't want to see such a mouth up close. before the bite, before its oblivion in the goring of your soft parts, the speckled lips will curl back in a whinny of excitement. You just know it.

Dr. Hurt posted:

Ultra-Humanite being the one that betrays them for cash was a great twist.
Ultra-Humanite betrays them for a generous donation to NPR, which is much funnier.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Rhyno posted:

I love the Legends two parter so much. I miss the DCAU a whole lot.

Not-Jay Garrick backhandedly praising Green Lantern with "You're a credit to your race, son!" and John's :crossarms: "Thanks?" slays me every time.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

CapnAndy posted:

Ultra-Humanite betrays them for a generous donation to NPR, which is much funnier.

It was cash, he just used a portion of it to make a large donation to NPR. Check out all the swag in his prison cell.

Justice league season one is all two and three parters that do nothing to earn their length, that episode with the injustice gang is probably the only exception. When they finally switched to mostly single episodeswith JLU it was a huge improvement.

The other huge problem with early Justice League cartoons (Bruce Timm even calls it out in the commentary of, I think, JLU) is they Worfed Superman. He was the most powerful member of the team, so to show how powerful a threat was, he'd take out Superman with one hit. That would be fine for a season finally, but they used it almost every story, so Superman ends up looking like a chump.

Idran
Jan 13, 2005
Grimey Drawer

Skwirl posted:

The other huge problem with early Justice League cartoons (Bruce Timm even calls it out in the commentary of, I think, JLU) is they Worfed Superman. He was the most powerful member of the team, so to show how powerful a threat was, he'd take out Superman with one hit. That would be fine for a season finally, but they used it almost every story, so Superman ends up looking like a chump.

Oh yeah, definitely. Wasn't the Superman vs. Darkseid fight in Brainiac's lair them showing they'd be putting an end to that, even?

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Idran posted:

Oh yeah, definitely. Wasn't the Superman vs. Darkseid fight in Brainiac's lair them showing they'd be putting an end to that, even?

I don't remember that episode, was it season 2? because I missed a huge chunk of that season. Definitely the JLU episodes where he fights Captain Marvel and gives Darkseid the "World of Cardboard" speech fixed a lot of that.

Fake edit: I remember the episode now, you're probably right, it was JLU and before either of my examples. Bruce Timm coming back for JLU and complaining about that specific thing would fit the timeline completely. I can understand needing to show a reason Superman needs help, otherwise it just becomes the "Superman fixes everything, or is away from the planet" show.

The worst example of Worfing Superman was where they get transported to WW2 and Vandal Savage has also travelled back and is teaching Nazis to make laser guns. A literal Stormtrooper shoots Superman with a laser gun and it puts him down. A rare bright spot early on was the episode with the dude who could become any element, he wrecks the rest of the league until Superman shows up, then Superman thrashes him for awhile until he figures out to turn into kryptonite, but that gives the rest of the team time to regroup and figure out how to take him down

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Alien Rope Burn posted:

Yeah. The Superman animated run lives in the shadow of how much better Batman was, which ends up being unfair since it's one of the best treatments of Superman in any medium.

Superman TAS really was good. Plus Knight Time is the best episode of BTAS that wasn't actually a Batman episode and even features some Silver Age Superman bullshit powers!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u27LYRdGoF0

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Anybody know when comics shifted away from thought bubbles and towards narration boxes? Thor is using it right now in a gimmicky way, But besides that the most recent example I could think of was Bendis' Mighty Avengers 5 years ago, but that's just another gimmicky thing, and it's like 5 years old at this point. I feel like the shift itself happened some time in the 80's or 90's.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Skwirl posted:

Anybody know when comics shifted away from thought bubbles and towards narration boxes?

Chris Sims does:
http://comicsalliance.com/heres-the-thing-episode-10-thinking-about-thought-bubbles/

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon
This probably isn't the answer you're looking for, but the earliest Little Nemo comics had narration boxes and never had thought bubbles. The boxes were shoved inbetween and underneath the panels. McCay abandoned them after a few months.

trashbuilder
Dec 26, 2013

Look at all the poor opinions I have

Skwirl posted:

Anybody know when comics shifted away from thought bubbles and towards narration boxes? Thor is using it right now in a gimmicky way, But besides that the most recent example I could think of was Bendis' Mighty Avengers 5 years ago, but that's just another gimmicky thing, and it's like 5 years old at this point. I feel like the shift itself happened some time in the 80's or 90's.

Caption boxes really do the same thing and are just way cleaner. Do you really want fluffy clouds floating around the page? or is it a nostalgia thing. I'm not trying to be mean when I say this but why do you want thought bubbles? It is to me the number one thing that bugs me about older comics. I can get over them but most of the time they are unnecessary and I already know what is in the bubble.

A Tin Of Beans
Nov 25, 2013

Has Reed Richards ever died?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

A Tin Of Beans posted:

Like 90% of Reeds Richards' in the multiverse are dead.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

A Tin Of Beans posted:

I think the only core members of the main FF team who have officially, properly died are Ben and Johnny.

However, Reed was out the book and believed dead for quite a while in the 1990s during the DeFalco/Ryan run; he had actually been exiled to the distant past by Hyperstorm, the son of Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers from an alternate version of the DOFP timeline, and subsequently gets revenge by getting Galactus to eat him.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

I think the only core members of the main FF team who have officially, properly died are Ben and Johnny.

However, Reed was out the book and believed dead for quite a while in the 1990s during the DeFalco/Ryan run; he had actually been exiled to the distant past by Hyperstorm, the son of Franklin Richards and Rachel Summers from an alternate version of the DOFP timeline, and subsequently gets revenge by getting Galactus to eat him.

He certainly "died" in the comic book sense. This was the cover to the issue where he died:

It was more than two years before he came back.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Random Stranger posted:

It was more than two years before he came back.

Yeah, and it was pretty down to the wire, too. He came back maybe about six months before they all "died" (so I guess that's twice for Reed; being put in Heroes Reborn was kinda like death) in the Onslaught crossover. In fact, the arc where he comes back is going to be the focus of the next FF Epic Collection.

On which note, I learned earlier today that Marvel seems to be doing an Onslaught omnibus next year. I guess there's demand for this? Apparently?

Man, I know DeFalco's run gets slagged off a lot (I like what I've read of it, but where the FF is concerned I'll often be more charitable than I might be towards runs on many other series; I acknowledge it's a bit of a blind spot, but most of the time, I'm indifferent to a bad FF run, and it'd need to be really awful, like Identity Crisis or OMD level awful, for me to hate it), but by and large, Paul Ryan's art was really good in it.

Wheat Loaf fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 22, 2014

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

trashbuilder posted:

Caption boxes really do the same thing and are just way cleaner. Do you really want fluffy clouds floating around the page? or is it a nostalgia thing. I'm not trying to be mean when I say this but why do you want thought bubbles? It is to me the number one thing that bugs me about older comics. I can get over them but most of the time they are unnecessary and I already know what is in the bubble.

I wasn't complaining, I was just curious. According to the video podcast someone else posted it happened in the eighties, biting off Batman: Year One, The Dark Knight Returns and Watchmen. I do think the way they're being used in Thor right now is well done and communicates information in a better way than narrative captions would. The thought bubble has the advantage/disadvantage of firmly cementing the idea that those thoughts are happening to that character at that exact moment.

I think I need to do some independent research though, because I don't think they actually disappeared (almost) completely in the 80's. I can swear I've read 90's comics with thought bubbles. Maybe the Death and Return of Superman, I'm pretty sure there was a period where superhero comics used both.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Metal Loaf posted:

Man, I know DeFalco's run gets slagged off a lot (I like what I've read of it, but where the FF is concerned I'll often be more charitable than I might be towards runs on many other series; I acknowledge it's a bit of a blind spot, but most of the time, I'm indifferent to a bad FF run, and it'd need to be really awful, like Identity Crisis or OMD level awful, for me to hate it), but by and large, Paul Ryan's art was really good in it.

The best the De Falco run gets is serviceable superhero comics. Not good. Not bad. Just kinda there. And that's the high points. It has more than its fair share of lows. Sue's costume change. The whole "Reed is dead" arc. That Hyperstorm poo poo. But if you asked me for the worst FF runs (and I've read every issue so I've been through them), he doesn't compare. Englehart. Claremont. Millar. Straczynski. Those guys were complete disasters for extended periods. I'd even take De Falco over Thomas's and Wofman's runs, though my main complaints about them is that they're just bland.

And yeah, Paul Ryan was great. It's a shame he never managed to break out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Random Stranger posted:

The best the De Falco run gets is serviceable superhero comics. Not good. Not bad. Just kinda there. And that's the high points. It has more than its fair share of lows. Sue's costume change. The whole "Reed is dead" arc. That Hyperstorm poo poo. But if you asked me for the worst FF runs (and I've read every issue so I've been through them), he doesn't compare. Englehart. Claremont. Millar. Straczynski. Those guys were complete disasters for extended periods. I'd even take De Falco over Thomas's and Wofman's runs, though my main complaints about them is that they're just bland.

And yeah, Paul Ryan was great. It's a shame he never managed to break out.

Out of curiosity, besides the original Lee/Kirby stuff and Waid or Hickman's runs, what would you say were the great FF runs?