Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HaitianDivorce
Jul 29, 2012

matrix ripoff posted:

I don't understand why Ubi decided to kill Desmond. I understand he was a big punching bag for the gaming community, but he filled a crucial role in AC's story: he was the stand-in for the audience. He was the goober who would stand in the middle of a bunch of extraordinary poo poo happening and ask "What's the Hooberdoober!?!?!" and then you'd have other characters explain what yhe Hooberdoober is. It's an old trope, but it worked. It got the player involved. After killing Desmond, they just wanted you to, what, fill the shoes of a mute doofus who's unknowingly working for Abstergo?

There's exactly one mute doofus in videogame history that works: Gordon Freeman. And that's because he's become of joke in and of itself. You can't loving make FIVE GAMES starring the audience surrogate and then kill him and be like "Okay! Now YOU'RE the hero of the game." Yes, and now that hero plays videogames for BIG EVIL CORPORATION. You're being duped into playing viddygames for the man! Oh my god! I can take it more seriously when an ex-bartender who ran away from home is now on the run from BIG ILLUMINATI and trying to take them down.

Can anyone explain why Ubi thought it was a good idea to slay the audience surrogate?

And now in Unity you're, I dunno, some dipshit who's watching cable television and you switch it to 666 HELIX to try to catch the latest episode of WHO'S THAT TEMPLAR and then WHOOAAAAAAAA THE ASSASSINS HAVE HACKED INTO YOUR TV TUNER BRAIN and now you're helping them? loving sucks.

There was a man with a plan by the name of Patrice Desliets. He was the creative director on AC1 and 2, and you can still see his fingerprints on Brotherhood's frame story, but he left before it was released, officially to get a "creative break from the industry." My guess is he had a tight plan for the series, had a wrench thrown into that when Ubisoft demanded another sequel that caused him problems from a creative standpoint (they ended up using Kirsten Bell's contract, which is why the wrap-up on Lucy's story is shunted into DLC for Revelations) and said "gently caress it." From this we get wheel-spinning in Revelations, the wet fart in 3, the scrambling for a new direction mixed with calls to rescue the staff of Ubisoft Montreal from their Templar producers in Black Flag, the apparently lazy paper-thin frame story in Unity and the blatant laziness of Rogue.

Actually, Rogue is kinda a special case. It's a game born in a boardroom somewhere about some dipshit being dragged on a leash by self-righteous assholes through the memories of another dipshit until they both realize they'd rather be on the winning side. It's a story mandated by, about and glorifying The Man.

E: VVV That's what I get for only checking the Wiki article to see who was creative director behind AC1/2 and not even skimming past that :doh:

HaitianDivorce fucked around with this message at 01:02 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
i only suck dick in self defense
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
edit: ^^^^^ lol we posted seconds apart from each other

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Specifically didn't they fire the guy who actually had any idea how all the 2012 poo poo was supposed to come together, leaving them to cobble together some "let a ghost murder you or the sun will explode" nonsense? (And in doing this didn't they completely abandon the plotline about the Templars trying to establish satellite coverage with orbital pieces of Eden?)
Oh man I remember this; this guy was a huge douche motherfucker and totally deserved to be fired. I can't remember what exactly he did, but it's bad enough that at first blush you're like "yeah gently caress that guy."

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Specifically didn't they fire the guy who actually had any idea how all the 2012 poo poo was supposed to come together, leaving them to cobble together some "let a ghost murder you or the sun will explode" nonsense? (And in doing this didn't they completely abandon the plotline about the Templars trying to establish satellite coverage with orbital pieces of Eden?)

He left after AC:B, then joined THQ a little while later. When THQ Montreal was bought by Ubisoft in the asset sell off, Ubisoft fired him.

Speculation was the game THQ had him making was a total AC clone.

Also frankly if losing the guy makes the whole story crash it means he was a lovely manager.

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~
How do I get rid of "Helix waypoints" that I lay down in the AC Unity app?

edit: You find them on the map screen in Unity, highlight them and then press X. YOU'RE WELCOME, FUTURE PERSON WHO MIGHT ASK THE SAME QUESTION.

matrix ripoff fucked around with this message at 01:08 on Nov 17, 2014

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

matrix ripoff posted:

Same way as you put them down in the app, or highlight them in game and press like X or Square.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

matrix ripoff posted:

Long press on it in the app.

effervescible
Jun 29, 2012

i will eat your soul

ayn rand hand job posted:

The single player story basically doesn't really touch on it at all, but most of the actual Co-Op missions are based off of French Revolution stuff. There's 2 or 3 missions where the primary focus involves Danton.

Other single-player missions that can be picked up whenever, too. Just not tightly tied into the main sequences.

macnbc
Dec 13, 2006

brb, time travelin'

Aphrodite posted:

Also frankly if losing the guy makes the whole story crash it means he was a lovely manager.

Never discount the presence of a good game director. They're basically the ones ensuring the "vision" is intact.

He could've left super-detailed notes about where the AC story was meant to go but if Ubisoft decided to disregard it then that's not really on him.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
I found some gold armor!

(Sadly, not actual gold armor, just one room that for some reason makes everything look like gold)

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
God drat the cutscenes look amazing, really makes you wish the rest of the game was up to par.

Unity early spoiler

The new king of rats is amazing and I love the parisian scummyness. Also his character model is amazing.

Bloody Hedgehog
Dec 12, 2003

💥💥🤯💥💥
Gotta nuke something

Reverse Centaur posted:

I'm glad Red Dead Redemption got the wild west right so I don't have to rely on Ubisoft to re-create my city's early years.

Vancouver's first city hall. Imagine synchronizing from this

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye
I still don't understand the blue chests with the app, the first one I unlocked I was able to open in the actual game, subsequent chests it's forcing me to sit a guy on it with the app for 24 goddamn hours, no way to cancel that out and just go pick it up in the actual game? wtf

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Al Harrington posted:

I still don't understand the blue chests with the app, the first one I unlocked I was able to open in the actual game, subsequent chests it's forcing me to sit a guy on it with the app for 24 goddamn hours, no way to cancel that out and just go pick it up in the actual game? wtf

It's broken.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Noice. Pretty sure it would fall over with that 8 foot tall assassin on top.

Al Harrington
May 1, 2005

I used to be an adventurer like you, then I took an arrow in the eye

im pooping!
Nov 17, 2006

Heheheh the Rogue real world pause menu has funny messages sent to your stupid tablet:

8. Bleeding Effect

Overexposure to the Animus may result in something called the "Bleeding Effect" where reality becomes indistinguishable from the genetic memories in which you immerse yourself daily. It is possible that the emergency or obstacle you are facing is not there in reality.

For example: If you see a fire, take steps to ensure that the fire is real before you act. Quickly and carefully, touch the fire.

If the fire is real, remove your hand and proceed to the nearest exit in a calm and orderly manner.

If the fire was a hallucination, proceed to section 11.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Cyra posted:

Man, AC3 does not deserve the hate it gets. It's an exceptional game.

Couple of pages back, but although I wouldn't use the word exceptional, I do think that AC3 is not as bad as the hate makes it out to be. It's very glitchy, and there are some serious plot problems, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of running around a snow-covered 1700's New York at night and tomahawkin' dudes. I even liked the DLC, as batshit crazy/stupid as it was (it has one of my favorite video game scores in recent memory - check out "The Man With The Wolf Hood" or "Ratonhnhak:ton" for example).

My biggest problem with AC3 is that, out of the entire series that I have played (which does not include Unity or Rogue), it takes the least advantage of its setting. Like, you set a game during the Revolutionary War, and we don't see the Battle of Bunker Hill? The Boston Massacre is relegated to weak-rear end plot grease? C'mon, man.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

macnbc posted:

Part of me really wonders what the marketing angle is going to be for next year's edition, since they heralded Unity as a true to form AC game, and everyone seems to think its solidly "meh".. Like where do you go from here?
London, 1916. At the climax of the game, you get to fight a German officer on top of a zeppelin while sirens are blaring below and lights stab the sky around you.

A section of the game briefly sends you to the Middle East, where you team up with T.E. Lawrence for [plot].

Tempo 119
Apr 17, 2006

Apparently in Unity you can only retry an assassination once? Or maybe it's another bug. I got hosed out of an optional objective, reloaded checkpoint, same thing happened again but now the only mission-related option (it's cool that they're at the bottom of the menu by the way, underneath all the multiplayer/companion poo poo) is Quit.

Al Harrington posted:

First make sure it's synced up, close the app and load it again. Then make sure you've got the right chest, filter icons on the app map by "companion icons" and it'll only show you blue chests that have been unlocked. If you long-press the chest it'll set a waypoint in the in-game map. You can remove the waypoint with another long-press, or hovering over it in the in-game map and pressing the square button (or whatever is the murder button on your platform of choice).

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Sef! posted:

My biggest problem with AC3 is that, out of the entire series that I have played (which does not include Unity or Rogue), it takes the least advantage of its setting. Like, you set a game during the Revolutionary War, and we don't see the Battle of Bunker Hill? The Boston Massacre is relegated to weak-rear end plot grease? C'mon, man.
What, you didn't like chauffering Paul Revere around? Tubby gently caress being all NO CONNOR THIS WAY YES CONNOR THIS WAY IS GOOOOD

matrix ripoff
Mar 16, 2005

~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~
and at the bookstore
~~~~~~~

*shank*

Hold there, citizen!

*bleep* *bleep*

*running away*

I'll verb your gizzard I will!

*bwomb*

*silence*

*background crowd murmering*

*game continues apace*

Psiharis
Mar 11, 2007

I love forest of rain.Foevar...

Calaveron posted:

What, you didn't like chauffering Paul Revere around?

yeah this is where it really lost me. NOTHING historic is allowed to happen without tempsassins being the puppeteers? OK then make Revere one or the other and -- owait that would require writing or some poo poo, naah, let's just say he was taking orders from Blandy McBlanderson who's even less interesting than the most picture-book oversimplification of the human being who actually existed. The whole Boston part was like this. "We can't be bothered to learn why people cared about this in real life, so let's replace it with BORING GIBBERISH."

Incidentally I'm starting to fear a corrupted save in Unity. The only thing that banished an infinite "Please wait..." DLC load screen was disconnecting, then loading the game in offline mode, then reconnecting. Except now I haven't been able to co-op all day long. If I start a mission 'in public' then every couple minutes, some poor shmuck tries to join and is promptly disconnected before their healthbar even gets a chance to show on my HUD. If I go through matchmaking, it searches 5-10 minutes (even when I'm just doing the 'X to play now!' any-mission search) then either gives up without any message, or crashes to home screen. Goddamn it Ubi, fix your poo poo already.

Psiharis fucked around with this message at 05:02 on Nov 17, 2014

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

It's really sad considering how AC2 did a pretty good job of interweaving historical poo poo. It was no substitute for a class or book but like you got a neat role in events, saw lots of peoples' paths cross, got to watch Borgia become the pope, etc.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Sef! posted:

Couple of pages back, but… although I wouldn't use the word exceptional, I do think that AC3 is not as bad as the hate makes it out to be. It's very glitchy, and there are some serious plot problems, but I really enjoyed the atmosphere of running around a snow-covered 1700's New York at night and tomahawkin' dudes. I even liked the DLC, as batshit crazy/stupid as it was (it has one of my favorite video game scores in recent memory - check out "The Man With The Wolf Hood" or "Ratonhnhaké:ton" for example).

Uh, the Battle of Bunker Hill is in AC3. You go behind enemy lines for most of it to assassinate Pitcairn in Sequence 7.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nehru the Damaja posted:

It's really sad considering how AC2 did a pretty good job of interweaving historical poo poo. It was no substitute for a class or book but like you got a neat role in events, saw lots of peoples' paths cross, got to watch Borgia become the pope, etc.

AC2 was by the far the longest spanning game in the series. (It's about 16 or so years) AC3 kind of excluded because of its split time line shenanigans. (Technically ~25-30, but really closer to 8 due to time skipping)

Then again there was the Bonfire of Vanities DLC in AC2.

Unity gives a similar feel to AC2, at least if you do the Coop missions. Lots of otherwise interstitial historical stuff becoming missions that was left out oft he mains tory.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK fucked around with this message at 06:03 on Nov 17, 2014

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

ayn rand hand job posted:

Uh, the Battle of Bunker Hill is in AC3. You go behind enemy lines for most of it to assassinate Pitcairn in Sequence 7.

Right, behind enemy lines. I'd make a genuine case that you don't really see it, or experience it. I guess I just felt let down by the original trailer, which showed Conner storming the firing line across an open field of battle - which never happened in the game.

And no, this isn't just a case of "well what did you expect from a trailer hurr burr" situation. A lot of the pre-hype about the game revolved around how participatory you were going to be during the Revolution. I worked at Gamestop at the time of AC3's release, and there was this whole selling shpiel that came down the grapevine (which no doubt originated at Ubisoft), which was all about how you were going to be in these major historical battles and events. I distinctly remember that Bunker Hill was name dropped specifically as being this big set piece thing.

Which it wasn't.

(And just to reiterate, I generally like AC3)

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The trailers never happen in the games.

Tracula
Mar 26, 2010

PLEASE LEAVE
I don't know why but I never got far into AC3. What I think it was is that I played the prologue and a bit of a ways in and Haytham was so great, snarky, charismatic, etc. Then all my friends who played it before me couldn't stop going on about how goddamn awful Connor was and I just really lost interest before even making it to him.

Tracula fucked around with this message at 06:06 on Nov 17, 2014

Samurai Sanders
Nov 4, 2003

Pillbug
Yeah, that part of 3 was horribly implemented. A narrow corridor through the battle with invisible walls where if you went outside you got shot instantly. Almost all the single player missions are only cosmetically different than that.

3 had a lot of totally ok stuff in it, but same as 4, they were hellbent on making the story missions as dumb as possible. Unity is definitely somewhat better in that regard, at least.

Crevasse
Aug 31, 2006
Insomnia one cup at a time
Quick question - is there a ps4 club going? I'm tired of being short changed by pubbie mongrels in the little co-op section. If anyone needs another retard to run with, hit me up
PSN: WoadBerzerker

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

3 pissed me off for several reasons, but the biggest was how they generally wasted the setting. It could have been awesome, but instead we get Whiney McBlanderson, who has about as much charisma as a plank of wood, running around doing everything and the Templars just sorta acting all mustache-twirling evil and being there to stab. There's just nothing about it that sticks out.

Then you have all of this random busy work poo poo that is never explained. You can upgrade the house, but that's never explained. You have a ship, take it out once or twice, and then forget that it exists (and its wider purpose is never explained). There's hunting, but there's no explanation of why you would want to do this (and it's boring as gently caress). There's just a ton of bullshit that is thrown into the game without ever being properly introduced, such that it feels pointless to even bother.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Crevasse posted:

Quick question - is there a ps4 club going? I'm tired of being short changed by pubbie mongrels in the little co-op section. If anyone needs another retard to run with, hit me up

It's called LLJK.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
The story missions were all full of bullshit like forced slow-walking in between cutscenes of connor yelling at CHARLES LEE(!!). It was legit awesome stringing up redcoats from the trees though.

Sef!
Oct 31, 2012

Gonkish posted:

3 pissed me off for several reasons, but the biggest was how they generally wasted the setting. It could have been awesome, but instead we get Whiney McBlanderson, who has about as much charisma as a plank of wood, running around doing everything and the Templars just sorta acting all mustache-twirling evil and being there to stab. There's just nothing about it that sticks out.

Then you have all of this random busy work poo poo that is never explained. You can upgrade the house, but that's never explained. You have a ship, take it out once or twice, and then forget that it exists (and its wider purpose is never explained). There's hunting, but there's no explanation of why you would want to do this (and it's boring as gently caress). There's just a ton of bullshit that is thrown into the game without ever being properly introduced, such that it feels pointless to even bother.

I mean, really, that latter bit is AC3 in a nutshell. There's a lot to it, but zero contextual importance or value. And context is like, one of the major foundations of the series. "Oh, you don't know who the Borgias are? Here's it in a nutshell. Also, we're going to help you pronounce 'Cesare.'" And in AC3 all of this comes in despite of what essentially amounts to a seven-hour tutorial. What the hell was the whole convoy minigame about? Hell if I know. I sent out some beaver pelts and got a handful of voodoo spacebux back that I didn't ever need because I had an overflowing bank account from playing the game anyway.

Megasabin
Sep 9, 2003

I get half!!
I think one of the mistakes the series makes is picking a time period that is encompassed by a very famous specific event, because then that event becomes your entire story, and everyone already knows how it ends.

The best games in the series (ACII, Brotherhood, Black Flag) were set in interesting time periods, but had no specific major event driving the underlying story of the game, so the developers/writers could shape the story however they wanted within the time period. Where as III and Unity kind of have their hand forced by the revolutions, which very heavily influence the overarching story, the characters, and the lives/actions of said characters. ACII + Sequels were very much the story of Ezio, The Assassins vs. Templar War, and the Ones who Came before in the backdrop of the Renaissance. III is the story of the American Revolution with assassins and templars running around doing stuff in the background. It's not a surprise which story was more compelling.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Megasabin posted:

I think one of the mistakes the series makes is picking a time period that is encompassed by a very famous specific event, because then that event becomes your entire story, and everyone already knows how it ends.

It sounds like that's exactly what they're avoiding in Unity though, and people don't like that either.

The Revolution isn't the plot. It's the setting.

Crevasse
Aug 31, 2006
Insomnia one cup at a time

Aphrodite posted:

It's called LLJK.

Thanks. Maybe I'll be able to get something done now. It'd be nice to finish a coop up

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.

Crevasse posted:

Yeah search LLJK (press square on the search for club). I've been accepting all invites the past few days. I need to get on to co-op since I've done everything else, plus some people might want some help in getting cash and sync points, which get you all the skills. Let me know (Lunethex on PSN) if you need something.

Razakai
Sep 15, 2007

People are afraid
To merge on the freeway
Disappear here
The bit I remember most from playing AC3 was that mission with the French guy. You follow him around as he aggros every soldier in the city, forcing you to kill dozens of people. Then he charges at a random unarmed tax collector and murders the guy because he's an angry French guy. Then Connor is all 'YOU ARE A TRUE ASSASSIN'. I felt like turning the game off right there (and wish I had)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Man that third armor mission wasn't fun. I couldn't walk eject to save my life. I guess you really have to quickly tap x to do it.

I need to do coop as well. I am just picking up what I can and clearing side missions.

• Locked thread