Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Angry Diplomat
Nov 7, 2009

Winner of the TSR Memorial Award for Excellence In Grogging
I named mine Nautilus because nautiloids look cool and I was mad that it was a horse and not a turtle :shobon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I just realized I have like 25 hours in this, no lives higher than hero (BS and mining), four lives not even started yet. Fishing at apprentice. I'm not even 50 yet (for origin island). There's just so much to do in this game.

Also: I couldn't get Noellia because I wasn't 45 yet. That's when access to her opens up.

Factory Davey
Jan 9, 2010

I am aware of what the hands look like. I did my best. :(
You have two lives at hero 25 hours in???? Im,over 60 and only jave one

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

You have two lives at hero 25 hours in???? Im,over 60 and only jave one

I haven't even touched four lives (tailoring, cooking, hunting, alchemy) and have another at apprentice that I just started (fishing). That meant a lot more focus on woodcutting/mining/smithing/carpentry.

That and I haven't really just hosed around and explored as much as I should have. It also might be closer to 30+ hours, I haven't checked in a while!

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

I went from novice hunter to master in about 3-4 hours. Meanwhile I have been unable to go past expert with carpenter and woodcutter because I can't damage some trees. I think I went wrong somewhere in my leveling.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
One of the best pieces of advice I got early is to spend most of your time out and about in a combat Life. You can chop trees or whatever as anything and still get quest credit, but the combat Life quests usually require you to kill things as whatever Life it's for.

gmq posted:

I went from novice hunter to master in about 3-4 hours. Meanwhile I have been unable to go past expert with carpenter and woodcutter because I can't damage some trees. I think I went wrong somewhere in my leveling.

You need either more stats (Strength would be best) or a better axe. I had that problem earlier.

EDIT: What's the best Claymore that you don't have to be a Merc to use? Wraiths are a pain in the rear end and I'd rather have my Wizard hit things with a sword, but while I have an Arcana Blade and a Flamberge, the best one I have that I can equip as a Wizard is a Gold Claymore.

Emron
Aug 2, 2005

I hated my gold claymore enough to switch to paladin. My bone sword is good damage, and usable by most classes. I'm not sure it's one you can use as magician or hunter, though.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
The way the Elemental Wraiths attack, I found it still easier to use magic to kill them than weapons. It took me a long time but it wasn't hard, just tedious.

Scrape posted:

I've got Minty Ores falling all over the place here, those are like junk drops for Miners. If multiplayer was a viable thing, we could all be trading mats all over the place, like the good lord intended

In what sense is it not viable? The only things you can't do in it are change Life and turn in quests. You can still do Star challenges and kill bosses and stuff.

Emron posted:

I just realized I have like 25 hours in this, no lives higher than hero (BS and mining), four lives not even started yet. Fishing at apprentice. I'm not even 50 yet (for origin island). There's just so much to do in this game.

80 hours and I only have four jobs at Master, haven't even started Merc or Hunter. I think it's been 40 hours since I even touched Cooking.

gmq posted:

You don't need much Strength at all, maybe like 15 or 20? Just make a baller Axe. I found those two and Miner super easy to Master, I did it before I even started doing the Desert areas and dungeons.

Also, holy poo poo I must have made 30 Scarecrows trying to make a Top Quality one for that one stupid quest. This is driving me nuts. I can make Top Quality stuff that should be much harder to make but I can't loving make a Top Quality Scarecrow even with Master rank and all Greats. This is some bullshit. t:mad:

Flowers
Mar 16, 2007

it's all fucking lewds

guppy posted:

One of the best pieces of advice I got early is to spend most of your time out and about in a combat Life. You can chop trees or whatever as anything and still get quest credit, but the combat Life quests usually require you to kill things as whatever Life it's for.

You need either more stats (Strength would be best) or a better axe. I had that problem earlier.

EDIT: What's the best Claymore that you don't have to be a Merc to use? Wraiths are a pain in the rear end and I'd rather have my Wizard hit things with a sword, but while I have an Arcana Blade and a Flamberge, the best one I have that I can equip as a Wizard is a Gold Claymore.

It looks like you have two options. A demi-creator can make two any-class greatswords. There's the Champion's Blade, which has 110 attack with Battle EXP +, and needs Greatsword skill 8. And the Crabtastrophe, with 112 attack and Water Element +++, needs Greatsword skill 12, and a drop from the Trial of Light to make.

Metrohunter
Sep 30, 2009

Ain't no thing like me, 'cept me.
Creator level mercs can actually make a better any class greatsword but if you're not at least at master level then your options are a bit limited.

guppy
Sep 21, 2004

sting like a byob
Thanks everyone. I am a Master Merc, actually, but not Creator.

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

Is there any way to get upgraded versions of the default clothes for noncombat lives? I guess it's kind of silly, but I think a few of the outfits are adorable :3:

Silver Falcon
Dec 5, 2005

Two, three, four, five, six, seven, eight and barbecue your own drumsticks!

I just god Creator-ranked my first Life!

Creator Wizard, yeah! :toot: Two words: gently caress Wraiths!

Now I guess I'll have to go and level a different combat class! (Wizard is the only combat class I bothered levelling through the whole game.) I have all my other Lives to at least Hero except Blacksmith, but I forget why.

Now I'm staring at all the stuff I can get with Lunares coins and I just don't know where to start! ... Other than the respec-for-free mirror. I'm getting that.

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!
I didn't train Wizard at all until post-game, when I could respec at will. My Wizard's almost Legend rank, pending a couple of wraiths. I've been killing everything with magic, though it's kind of weird how all the elements level up separately. I also decided to forgo the Wizard's Hero gear to stick with the Mysterious set from the passwords. My Wizard is a true glass cannon.

Now if only I hadn't triggered the Creator Miner quest before killing the Blaze Wraith. There's a giant turtle boss there instead. :mad:

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.
I think that the multiplayer isn't viable because it's a huge pain in the rear end. We should totally be able to just join peoples' worlds with way less hassle and trade items anywhere in the field. Even Heroes of Ruin was better. I have a bunch of friends and all we ever do is chat. We need more goons willing to trade stuff up in here. I tried the google doc posted earlier but there were like two names on it. :(

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009

precision posted:

Also, holy poo poo I must have made 30 Scarecrows trying to make a Top Quality one for that one stupid quest. This is driving me nuts. I can make Top Quality stuff that should be much harder to make but I can't loving make a Top Quality Scarecrow even with Master rank and all Greats. This is some bullshit. t:mad:

Funny, I just finished that quest today as a Master Carpenter. Have you tried making a scarecrow without hitting X at all? Every time I used the special skill, even though I was hitting all Greats and had ~20 seconds left, I would only get a Great quality scarecrow. But when I made one without using the special skill, even though I had about 8 seconds left, I got a Top quality scarecrow. This makes me think that sometimes using the special skill actually hurts the quality of the item you're making. If that doesn't work, you might have to put more points in your luck.

My question: I'm playing as a 'pacifist' and haven't started on any of the attacking classes, although I've taken on a lot of silver and gold-crowned enemies. Will I have to kill all these enemies again to rank up once I do start on those classes, or will I have already gotten all those stars already? Please say it's the latter; I'm already past 50 hours and haven't even started the Al Maajik chapter yet, but I've Mastered every gathering/creating class.

Linear Zoetrope
Nov 28, 2011

A hero must cook
For the combat classes the requirements to kill certain mobs are more or less universally "kill X as a Wizard" or whatever, so yeah, you'll have to do them again.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Scrape posted:

I think that the multiplayer isn't viable because it's a huge pain in the rear end. We should totally be able to just join peoples' worlds with way less hassle and trade items anywhere in the field. Even Heroes of Ruin was better. I have a bunch of friends and all we ever do is chat. We need more goons willing to trade stuff up in here. I tried the google doc posted earlier but there were like two names on it. :(

Oh, yeah, it is a pain in the rear end if you're not already friends with the person. I guess the only reason I think it's so good is because when I play with my gf we use text messages (or are in the same room) because the ingame keyboard is such rear end.

If there's anything specific you need or whatever my friend code is 0963-1280-6370. I can make some pretty great up to Expert level poo poo, and will always accept gems or rare mats like Star Clusters in trade.

e: I have no idea why my 2DS still thinks my "favorite game" is Pokemon Y, I've played Fantasy Life like twice as much as I played it. :confused:

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

precision posted:

e: I have no idea why my 2DS still thinks my "favorite game" is Pokemon Y, I've played Fantasy Life like twice as much as I played it. :confused:

Isn't that a setting you manually set yourself? There's a Favorite button on your friend card that lets you assign whatever you want as long as it's installed or has play time.

purple death ray
Jul 28, 2007

me omw 2 steal ur girl

Well we confirmed the other day that for boss monsters, if you get the Bounty as whatever class, and then switch to the relevant class before you hand it in, it still counts. I think my girlfriend found a rare fish while she was out as a mercenary? I don't remember the specifics, but she drug the bounty back to town, switched classes, and it counted for the challenge. So there's that, at least.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Onean posted:

Isn't that a setting you manually set yourself? There's a Favorite button on your friend card that lets you assign whatever you want as long as it's installed or has play time.

You are correct sir, I feel dumb. :engfail:

Pine Bamboo Plum
Nov 5, 2009

Jsor posted:

For the combat classes the requirements to kill certain mobs are more or less universally "kill X as a Wizard" or whatever, so yeah, you'll have to do them again.

Oh. Well, whatever. I've already put in close to 65 hours since the game first came out, another two or three if I ever feel like playing those classes probably wouldn't hurt.

Becklespinax
Aug 20, 2013

How Ingratiating! posted:

Now if only I hadn't triggered the Creator Miner quest before killing the Blaze Wraith. There's a giant turtle boss there instead. :mad:

I think a few people have been caught out by this - you can always go back and decline the Special Requests from the Life Master at any point to turn off the spawns - but you do have to be the appropriate Life to do that.

AnotherGamer
Jan 12, 2007
Please change my name to "The Guff Machine"

Baltazar Robotnik posted:

What did everyone name their horses? I named mine Goku.

Jumbles, but damned if I remember where I got it from, might've been Zelda LP.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Well the entire Origin Island story was very silly. :3:

Also I've recently binged through the whole of Season 2 of Arrow and today I found out that there's some potion that buffs all stats called Miracle. That made me laugh. It doesn't turn you crazy, does it? :ohdear:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Hey so i did the blacksmiths request at level 70 and BOY that fight was rough. Managed to make the sword and was satisfied with finishing a special request.

Just realized that he actually did end up taking my sword I made though so went back for a golden shard and some Bismuth Ingots and uh, everythings back to baby level. Was I supposed to farm ingots and stuff before turning it back in? :cripes:

EckyThump
Jan 16, 2012
Fun Shoe

Travis343 posted:

Well we confirmed the other day that for boss monsters, if you get the Bounty as whatever class, and then switch to the relevant class before you hand it in, it still counts. I think my girlfriend found a rare fish while she was out as a mercenary? I don't remember the specifics, but she drug the bounty back to town, switched classes, and it counted for the challenge. So there's that, at least.

It depends on the wording of the quest, some say you have to defeat the monster 'as' a specific class, others say you just need to hand the bounty in as a specific class. In general the 'gathering job' boss targets can be collected by any class, but for the later combat job bosses need you to be in that class when you defeat them. You can definitely save some time though, always switch to Miner/Woodcutter/Angler when handing in new ore/log/fish bounties.

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Just realized that he actually did end up taking my sword I made though so went back for a golden shard and some Bismuth Ingots and uh, everythings back to baby level. Was I supposed to farm ingots and stuff before turning it back in?

You have to re-accept the special request by asking about it again.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Oh alright! Thanks for that as I was pretty confused about it and didn't see a ! above him.

HackensackBackpack
Aug 20, 2007

Who needs a house out in Hackensack? Is that all you get for your money?

Travis343 posted:

Turning in the fish to Lionel Lippes for a print also counts as turning in a bounty for the purposes of star challenges. I always like to get prints of my lordfish first.

One of the things I'm really liking about this game is the music. I can't remember a game recently that has had as many music tracks that I've liked. The file select screen, the indoor shop, which has a bit of a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance feel, Mount Snowpeak reminds me of 65 million B.C. in Chrono Trigger, and the high-level crafting music makes me think of the Ultros fight in FFVI at the opera.

More people are getting the game, or the DLC, it seems. I got a few more streetpasses. I've been giving away a Lava Pickaxe I got from a Lava Golem bounty. One of my new tags has superior corn on the cob. I can't wait! :3: Once I hit the monogram level of Carpentry I'll start giving away wands, bows, or fishing rods.

everythingWasBees
Jan 9, 2013

So I recently beat the main story, but still haven't gotten the letter from Damian about the library yet. Is there something else to trigger it? I'm currently level 32.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Leofish posted:

One of the things I'm really liking about this game is the music. I can't remember a game recently that has had as many music tracks that I've liked. The file select screen, the indoor shop, which has a bit of a Final Fantasy Tactics Advance feel, Mount Snowpeak reminds me of 65 million B.C. in Chrono Trigger, and the high-level crafting music makes me think of the Ultros fight in FFVI at the opera.

Uematsu did the music. You'd think Nintendo would have advertised that fact, seeing as how Amano's name is on the loving title screen, but there you go.

McDragon
Sep 11, 2007

Ha, there's some brilliant emotes in the options. You should all check them out. There's one that's clearly for three people at once (some kind of sentai team looking thing) and a ridiculous anime ninja disappearing trick, complete with suitable pose.

I did that last one to a cactus monster and he punched me in the face.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
...this game has emotes? :stare:

FruitNYogurtParfait
Mar 29, 2006

Sion lied. Deadtear died for our sins. #VengeanceForDeadtear
#PunGateNeverForget
#ModLivesMatter

precision posted:

use the dpad when you don't have a weapon out

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

precision posted:

I saw someone do one in a video but hell if I know how to pull em off.

Nondevor
Jun 1, 2011

catposting

precision posted:

Yep! You set them up in options and use them through the D-pad. You have to hold down the arrow though, since it doesn't register right away.

The sitting one regenerates your SP extremely fast just like an MMO. I prefer using the cool dance emote though :v:

Babby Sathanas
May 16, 2006

bearbating is now adorable

Nondevor posted:

The sitting one regenerates your SP extremely fast just like an MMO.

Oh my god.

Scrape
Apr 10, 2007

i've been sharpening a knife in the bathroom.

Yeah this just changed my life (uhhhh I mean Lives).

So, how do I get into the cave on Cacto Cove? Is it a postgame thing? I'm 90 hours in and haven't beaten it yet...

How Ingratiating!
Sep 7, 2011

Infinite ammo vs. CYBER PUNCH!!

Scrape posted:

Yeah this just changed my life (uhhhh I mean Lives).

So, how do I get into the cave on Cacto Cove? Is it a postgame thing? I'm 90 hours in and haven't beaten it yet...

Yeah, it's post-game. There are Hero rank challenges in there for some of the combat classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Is there an easy way to farm monster hide?

• Locked thread