Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rap Music and Dope
Dec 25, 2010
For some reason Euros really suck to

Lobok posted:

I don't know where it started but is it really a trope? A girl riding a horse is sexy because it looks like she's loving. See Jennifer Connelly in Career Opportunities for a blunt example.

Also a girl riding a horse automatically has a certain confidence and gracefulness about her. The imagery and shorthand goes back way before movies.

I just asked in the context of late 80s early 90s movies. What really set off my question was Gene Siskel mentioning that the lampooning of such a scene in Hotshots! "would put an end to more scenes like this". leaving me to believe it was a real popular thing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Criminal Minded
Jan 4, 2005

Spring break forever

Mescal posted:

Watch out though equestrian babes be hosed up

Somebody post rhudahorses.txt

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide
I have a question. About the plot of Inception :nolan: These are spoilers if you haven't seen it, I guess.

I've seen Inception like a half dozen times, most recently this weekend after my wife and I saw Interstellar.

There's one thing that's always bothered me about the three stage dream that is set up, and I'm wondering if anyone else has the same thought. This was probably brought up in the Inception thread itself back when the movie came out, but that was years ago and I wasn't reading CD partially thoroughly back then.

The question is in two parts:

1.) The original plan was for the Kicks to be perfectly synchronized. Eames blows up the fortress as Arthur takes out the floor of Room 528 as Yusuf drives the van off the bride. But Yusuf has no choice to drive off the bridge early to avoid getting killed by Fischer's projections. This results in Arthur's dream losing its gravity and it causes an avalanche in Eames's dream. They miss the first kick and have to catch the second kick, which is the van hitting the water. But what I've always wondered is this: Why didn't the first kick wake Arthur up? I can understand the rest of the cast, since their consciousnesses were one level down in Eames dream, but Arthur was still awake in the hotel, so I feel like the van driving off the bridge should have woken him up, which would have destabilized the Hotel dream and brought the entire plan crashing down.

2.) What was the point of Eames blowing up the fortress? By the time he sets off the charges, everyone in the fortress is already awake except for Saito, who is dead, and Cobb, who is in Limbo trying to find Saito. When Cobb and Saito meet, it's shown that they only way they can escape is to kill themselves, so it isn't as if creating a kick in the fortress would bring them back. So why bother if Arthur's kick is designed to bring them back to the Hotel dream?

Please forgive me if these questions seem excessively persnickity. If the answer is "Don't think about it too hard, Nolan didn't really care about that aspect of the plot" then I can appreciate that and it won't harm my appreciation of the film. I'm just wondering if there's some logic that I'm missing.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Snak posted:

That's about as far into that movie as I've seen. I actually love that part, even though there are many reasons why it would never work.
I hear there's supposed to be a third one with both of them in it, so hopefully it will top those.

Actually the most ridiculous thing in xXx: State of the Union is at the beginning when they raid Sam Jackson's underground base by setting these high tech circular things on the ground that some how detonate downward leaving a perfect tunnel straight down. The dirt just vanishes.

Nah, the most ridiculous part of that movie is when they recruit Ice Cube as "the new XXX" acting like it was a government code name when in the first movie it was just a tattoo on the character's neck that he had before any of it started.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

muscles like this? posted:

Nah, the most ridiculous part of that movie is when they recruit Ice Cube as "the new XXX" acting like it was a government code name when in the first movie it was just a tattoo on the character's neck that he had before any of it started.

The codename is named after XXX. He's been genericized, like kleenex, escalator, or heroin.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

It's like Lebron James was said to be "the next Michael Jordan"

Dr_Amazing
Apr 15, 2006

It's a long story

Snak posted:

Content: What is up with the movie Hook having an abysmal rotten tomatoes score? Do critics just hate fun? That movie rules.

I haven't seen it in like 15 years. Maybe is wasn't that good. My memory of the first time I saw Starship Troopers is this amazing action movie with a subtle anti war message.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Snak posted:

Content: What is up with the movie Hook having an abysmal rotten tomatoes score? Do critics just hate fun? That movie rules.

It's pretty cornball for Steven Spielberg. Most critics tend to go by relative scores to the directors. And when somebody as high profile as Spielberg makes something less than perfect, it gets a lot of flak.

My wife and I find ourselves quoting some of the silliest lines ever written for that movie.

"Have to fly. Have to crow. Have to save Maggie, have to save Jack. Hook is back."

*black kid places his hands all over Peter's face, feeling it as if he were a blind kid reading brail* "Oh there you are, Peter."

"Smee, I'm really going to do it this time. I'm going to kill myself. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee-stop me, Smee."

"I want a toy. I want a cookie. I want, I want, I want. Me, me, me. Mine, mine, mine."

"Peter Pan's my.....dad?"

Sand Monster
Apr 13, 2008

Re: Hook, I think it also benefits from some nostalgia for the generation that were kids when it came out. As a movie aimed at kids, it probably was generally well received, but I would think the mid/late teens to 20s/30s crowd probably didn't care for it much overall.. Also, did it come out before or after Schindler's List? If after, maybe it was more easily dismissed by virtue of that?

FrostedButts posted:

"Smee, I'm really going to do it this time. I'm going to kill myself. Don't try to stop me this time, Smee-stop me, Smee."

I love that part. The exchanges between Hook and Smee are my favorite parts of the movie.

"I've just had an apostrophe."

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Sand Monster posted:

Also, did it come out before or after Schindler's List? If after, maybe it was more easily dismissed by virtue of that?

Before. Hook was 1991, Schindler's List was 1993.

If I remember correctly, it was also one of Spielberg's worst box-office openings until 2004's The Terminal.

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Sand Monster posted:

Re: Hook, I think it also benefits from some nostalgia for the generation that were kids when it came out. As a movie aimed at kids, it probably was generally well received, but I would think the mid/late teens to 20s/30s crowd probably didn't care for it much overall.. Also, did it come out before or after Schindler's List? If after, maybe it was more easily dismissed by virtue of that?

I love that part. The exchanges between Hook and Smee are my favorite parts of the movie.

"I've just had an apostrophe."

Dustin Hoffman seemed like he had a great time chewing the scenery in it. There was also that random Glenn Close cameo.

TheBigBudgetSequel
Nov 25, 2008

It's not who I am underneath, but what I do that defines me.
Hook was the first film I saw in theaters so I have a huge affinity for it BUT nostalgia doesn't really hold up as well as I'd like. It's a very weak film, espeically for Spielberg. You can feel him going through the family adventure film motions. I think the issue is Hook is the kind of film Spielberg would have normally produced and not directed (ala The Goonies) but he took the job and just painted by the numbers.

That said, Dustin Hoffman is amazing as Hook. He's got the right combo of charming and funny and actual scary bad guy.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I rewatched it recently and the banter between Hoffman and Hoskins was the only bearable part.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

ASK ME ABOUT BEING ALLERGIC TO POSITIVITY

It's a very cheap looking film too, one of the few films I can think of that ALWAYS looks like it's taking place on a small set. I can't tell if that's deliberate, but if it is it doesn't fit the larger than life adventure the script is pitching at all.

Strange Matter
Oct 6, 2009

Ask me about Genocide

PriorMarcus posted:

It's a very cheap looking film too, one of the few films I can think of that ALWAYS looks like it's taking place on a small set. I can't tell if that's deliberate, but if it is it doesn't fit the larger than life adventure the script is pitching at all.
I always thought it was deliberate because it represents that the adult Peter doesn't fit into a world that exists for children. Naturally this means that the film should have taken on a grander scale when Peter regains his memories and nature as Pan but that never happens.

EDIT: Basically the sets needed to suddenly transform in the same way that the empty table turns into a feast when Peter rediscovers his imagination.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

Strange Matter posted:

EDIT: Basically the sets needed to suddenly transform in the same way that the empty table turns into a feast when Peter rediscovers his imagination.

This would've been awesome.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Strange Matter posted:

I always thought it was deliberate because it represents that the adult Peter doesn't fit into a world that exists for children. Naturally this means that the film should have taken on a grander scale when Peter regains his memories and nature as Pan but that never happens.

Maybe it was the timing or the skateboarding in Hook, but I always thought the Lost Boys hideout was reused from this set: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lh2MDHO8Bfg

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

PriorMarcus posted:

For a movie where all the Peter Pan stuff was actually supposed to be "real" everything comes off as extremely fake looking.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

For a movie where all the Peter Pan stuff was actually supposed to be "real" everything comes off as extremely fake looking.

I kind of disagree here, because to me one of the core concepts of the film is that the type of world children imagine is real, but it's just as they would imagine it. I don't actually think for example, that the imaginary food is somehow composed of complex carbohydrates and is rich in vitamins. The Neverland in the film is a place composed of things that children believe in, and I think that effect is achieved quite well.

Loucks
May 21, 2007

It's incwedibwe easy to suck my own dick.

Anyone know where I can find the infamous "Stranger in the Alps" USA TV edit of Big Lebowski? I've seen clips, but not the whole thing. We think bad edits are funny and also have a kid who is waaaay too young to see the real version.

PriorMarcus
Oct 17, 2008

What's the general consensus on Smaug in the Hobbit films?

I think he's a pretty ugly design and rarely looks believable.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I thought the dragon design was the only good thing about those films.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

PriorMarcus posted:

In terms of critical reviews they all love the dragon even if they hate the movie.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
Was Lloyd Kaufmann a prisoner for half a second in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

Ariza posted:

Was Lloyd Kaufmann a prisoner for half a second in Guardians of the Galaxy?

Yep. James Gunn got started writing Tromeo & Juliet so this was a thank you, like Corman in Silence of the Lambs.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Maxwell Lord posted:

Yep. James Gunn got started writing Tromeo & Juliet so this was a thank you, like Corman in Silence of the Lambs.

one of my favorite of these type of things is how the three senators in The Godfather Part II are Phil Feldman, Roger Corman and Richard Matheson

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
Matheson is unconfirmed but I love that as well.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

PriorMarcus posted:

It's not a terrible design, but it's on screen waaaaaaaaaay too long. Rule #1 of having a monster in your movie: Don't show it on screen for too long. Smaug occupies almost half of the picture, perfectly lit and subtly moving. You spend that much time with a creature on screen, even the most detailed and well-textured, you're going to get bored and find the flaws. I was just about ready to start pinpointing the UV map coordinates of that thing until the final chase/fight started up.

echoplex
Mar 5, 2008

Stainless Style

FrostedButts posted:

Peter Jackson films are waaaaaaaaaay too long.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

FrostedButts posted:

It's not a terrible design, but it's on screen waaaaaaaaaay too long. Rule #1 of having a monster in your movie: Don't show it on screen for too long. Smaug occupies almost half of the picture, perfectly lit and subtly moving. You spend that much time with a creature on screen, even the most detailed and well-textured, you're going to get bored and find the flaws. I was just about ready to start pinpointing the UV map coordinates of that thing until the final chase/fight started up.

That would be true if Smaug was the monster. He's more of a character in his own right.

That said, I loved his design and found it significantly more terrifying than I would've given it credit for.

Jackson's films are too long though.

FrostedButts
Dec 30, 2011

Thwomp posted:

That would be true if Smaug was the monster. He's more of a character in his own right.

That said, I loved his design and found it significantly more terrifying than I would've given it credit for.

Jackson's films are too long though.

When a dragon is lurking in the shadows hissing at you with fire and crass, it's terrifying. When he's out in the open monologuing for 30 minutes as he swishes and sways around piles of gold, the effect wears off.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

FrostedButts posted:

When a dragon is lurking in the shadows hissing at you with fire and crass, it's terrifying. When he's out in the open monologuing for 30 minutes as he swishes and sways around piles of gold, the effect wears off.

You make him sound like Liberace in Behind The Candelabra.

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

FrostedButts posted:

He's not supposed to be terrifying in a monster movie sense. He's terrifying because he can have you killed at any time and doesn't really care if you live or die.

He's the other side of the rich nobleman that Dracula (the book and really vampires in general) fails to cover.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this
Ok, so, for actual, how did they do those silhouette shots in Gone With The Wind?

Is it just a giant lit-up painting? It looks amazing.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Ok, so, for actual, how did they do those silhouette shots in Gone With The Wind?

Is it just a giant lit-up painting? It looks amazing.

Oh I know this one. That's actually some really impressive work with an optical printer. The sky was photographed in LA, the landscape and the tara are painted, the foreground is high contrast black and white photography shot against a white backdrop. Some interviews say the tree is a painting but some people think it's a miniature since it has some subtle movement. The entire thing is assembled with some damned fine optical printing.

American Cinematographer had a really detailed writeup on the film's visual effects written by Slifer himself. It's not part of their free online archive, but if you look on google scholar there are some sites that provide the full article for a small fee, if you're interested.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

therattle posted:

You make him sound like Liberace in Behind The Candelabra.

That'd be a hell of a take on the character.

Shatter Map
Nov 14, 2005

In Saving Private Ryan , each of the privates in Captain Miller's squad foreshadows how they will meet their death.

When the soldiers are pinned down by a German sniper in the French village, Private Jackson notices a bell tower in the distance and says "That's where I'd be". Private Jackson is later killed by a tank round while in a bell tower during the final battle in the third act

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter". Private Mellish is later stabbed to death by a knife

When the squad is first debarking across the French countryside to search for Ryan, Private Caparzo tells Corporal Upham to never salute Captain Miller because it makes his a target for sniper fire, "especially when I'm standing next to him" he adds... Caparzo is later killed by a sniper bullet

During the beach invasion, Wade the Medic is seen frantically trying to patch up a badly wounded soldier on the beach. He tells the soldier not to look at the wound . Wade is later shot and cannot address his injury because the round exited through his back and he can not see the exit wounds

Can anyone think of any other instances of this in the movie?

Raxivace
Sep 9, 2014

Maybe you could look at Upham's refusal to kill others throughout the film somehow foreshadowing that he wouldn't be killed as well?

I admit it is a stretch, especially since Upham actually kills someone later one, but it is all that comes to mind after having not seen the film for a few years.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

Shatter Map posted:

Private Mellish is handed a Hitler Youth knife shortly after the soldiers have secured the beachhead in the opening invasion sequence. He says "..yeah and now its a Kaballah cutter".
Shabbat challah cutter.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pomplamoose
Jun 28, 2008

BOAT SHOWBOAT posted:

As for a real question, can somebody give me some more examples of uses of pop songs in contemporary film that blur the line between diegetic and non-diegetic?

As in, for example, "Everytime" in Spring Breakers starts off being sung by James Franco in the scene, but segues into Britney's version for the montage. The opposite of this happens with "Pretty Girl Rock" in The Rover, where the music plays over one scene, but then cuts to Robert Pattinson singing to another few lines of it. "Wise Up" in Magnolia is another case where the characters of course actually sing the song, it all is presented within the diegetic world of the film but doesn't make literal "sense". I think "Dreams" in the same movie might be another example but I can't remember if William H Macy actually sings along to it (I need to rewatch Magnolia).

So yeah, what else would go on this list?

Not a pop song, but this scene from Coffee and Cigarettes features semi-diegetic music.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-FYLkBcJBys