Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Try living in the Netherlands where Cosplay doesn't exist, while in Germany it's hella rad. (and has the most cons) :smith:
Hence I do everything on my lonesome.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Samuel posted:

Try living in the Netherlands where Cosplay doesn't exist, while in Germany it's hella rad. (and has the most cons) :smith:

You live within two hours of like 50% of the population of Germany (and all the big cons). Get yourself to Gamescom, at least.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
I did...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The Locator posted:

I have no idea how I'd locate someone else in my city that would be interested in the same hobby that I have, let alone something this specific.

Just dress up in your favourite costume and hang out on street corners, you're sure to randomly discover some costuming buddies that way. Or set off a massive police search, I dunno.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

The Locator posted:

So how does a group like this get started? Were you all 40k gamers that decided to get into the cosplay, or were you just like minded cosplayers that decided to focus on 40k, or what?

I have no idea how I'd locate someone else in my city that would be interested in the same hobby that I have, let alone something this specific.

Some of both? With 4 of us we hardly ever do something that all 4 of us are really into, we kind of take turns but we're all close enough friends (and I'm married to the techpriest there :v: ) that at least 3 of us are often super into any given idea. The first year we did our group, the Inquisitor guy there and I built a Big Daddy suit and asked our sister hospitaller there to be a Little Sister with us but she'd never played Bioshock, she's just smallish and good at sewing. I don't play 40k but I really like the design and the universe, I'd played in a tabletop RPG campaign and read some of the books and all so that was my suggestion the next year/this last year. I haven't really played much StarCraft but the other 3 love it and I like the design of the marines so I was happy to go along with it. I'm playing WarCraft 3 right now to get some background cred established without having to commit to WoW, haha.

e. If you think getting 4 people to do 40k was logistically tough, please note that I painted every single piece of armor in this photo :gonk:

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

McPantserton posted:

Vacuum forming is a process where you sculpt something rigid, then heat a sheet of plastic, stretch it over your sculpt, and suck all the air out so the plastic conforms. There are a ton of ways to build/get a vacuum former, my first vacuum former was 18" x 24" and used my oven for heat and a shopvac for suction. My cosplay group now owns a 2 foot x 3 foot one with built-in heating coils and a compression tank, it was super expensive though!

So here are some of my sculpts for my Warhammer 40k costume, made mostly out of random crap like cups, trash cans, etc. or self-sculpted if need be with bondo and apoxie sculpt resin clay for the details

\

On the table (this one was done in a thicker plastic for structure and doesn't have the detail added yet):

Sheets formed:

Cut out and assembled:

On my body, painted up all nice:

e. We post a lot of progress shots on our facebook page too https://www.facebook.com/FoamCorps

e2. Here is a super low quality video of it actually working! https://www.facebook.com/video.php?v=10102349570708347&set=vb.249186805182421&type=3&theater
and the whole table setup

Thanks for sharing. Now i know. That is totally bad rear end! Its usually plastic stretched over homemade molds, which is pretty cool.

I mean not as cool as you having a dwarven blacksmith in the depths of your home cranking out legendary items, paid in ale and whores, but I'll take it:)

moerketid
Jul 3, 2012

Samuel posted:

There are various anime cons with cosplay, also there's Elfia and Castlefest which are HUGE for all kinds of cosplay - especially Elfia. And it's on twice a year!

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

For the night is dark, and full of terriers

El Estrago Bonito
Dec 17, 2010

Scout Finch Bitch
If you're around Germany and you love crazy costumes you owe it to yourself to go to Mythodea at least once. It's one of the largest fantasy LARP events in the world and some of the stuff people do is really awesome. It's like ~8,000 people in full costume camping out for 5 days and it gets pretty crazy and intense.

Hulk Smash!
Jul 14, 2004

Opopanax posted:

For the night is dark bark, and full of terriers

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Leper Residue
Sep 28, 2003

To where no dog has gone before.

As a straight man I feel like this is the wrongest question, but is that a wig? I've tried getting hair that color and except for when it was straight up falling out it was never that white and voluminous.

Like I think I see roots, but I'm not sure how wigs really work. Extensions maybe?

404GoonNotFound
Aug 6, 2006

The McRib is back!?!?
I'm like 80% sure that's BelleChere (best known for that in-loving-credible Captain Marvel) so yeah, it's a wig.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

Leper Residue posted:

As a straight man I feel like this is the wrongest question, but is that a wig? I've tried getting hair that color and except for when it was straight up falling out it was never that white and voluminous.

Like I think I see roots, but I'm not sure how wigs really work. Extensions maybe?

Of course thats a wig, nobody grows it out that far or dye's their natural hair white.
drat she's thick in all the right places, I'd almost shout photoshop.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
She makes a pretty good Power Girl, too.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011
Browsing through DA I found the most thinly disguised softcore on the planet.

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

There's actually a giant cosplay fetish industry of both thinly-veiled softcore and legitimate hardcore stuff. I know this because I browse and masturbate to it. hth

New Leaf
Jul 24, 2013

Dragon Balls? Are they tasty?

404GoonNotFound posted:

I'm like 80% sure that's BelleChere (best known for that in-loving-credible Captain Marvel) so yeah, it's a wig.

GIS says she's good at just about every character imaginable..

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
It helps when you've got a waist and hips usually not seen in reality. Good lord.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
it's almost like comic books have zero variety in women's body-types

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tollymain posted:

You're right, but instead of just let you rage like a rat in a cage I should at least point out that comic book art is a lot harder than it looks and in order to be punctual and readable (the most important two factors in being a published comic artist) even very great artists master only 1-2 body types per gender and use them for all their characters rather than actually showcase the variety inherent in the human animal. Since superheroes are the most popular genre by an astronomic mile they can usually get away with it under the banner of "they're idealized forms."

:goonsay:

Vorpal Cat
Mar 19, 2009

Oh god what did I just post?

Tollymain posted:

Hey I'll have you know comics and video games, not being constrained by reality and being limited to only to the creators imagination, are host to a wide verity of female characters with such diverse body-types as skinny with large breasts, skinny with huge breasts, and skinny with "are you trying to smuggle water melons in your bra?". Also occasionally children.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Leper Residue posted:

It's probably a type of wig called a lace front wig! They have sheer netting along the hairline with wig hairs anchored in more natural hair patterns so you can have a realistic hairline. Usually you get the very stark, unnatural hairline with wigs because the hair is attached in long thin strips called wefts so the hair only wants to go in one direction and all comes out of the same spots, if that makes sense.

Here's a closeup of a lace front wig hairline in action:

Yaya Han as Ashe from League of Legends

InequalityGodzilla
May 31, 2012

Samuel posted:

I did...

I had no idea Seth Mcfarlane was secretly a german nerd.

The Monkey Man
Jun 10, 2012

HERD U WERE TALKIN SHIT

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

mind the walrus posted:

You're right, but instead of just let you rage like a rat in a cage I should at least point out that comic book art is a lot harder than it looks and in order to be punctual and readable (the most important two factors in being a published comic artist) even very great artists master only 1-2 body types per gender and use them for all their characters rather than actually showcase the variety inherent in the human animal. Since superheroes are the most popular genre by an astronomic mile they can usually get away with it under the banner of "they're idealized forms."

haha chill dude, i have about a quarter of a gently caress handy to give about comic books at any given point in time. i just like making fun of them

CzarChasm
Mar 14, 2009

I don't like it when you're watching me eat.
This might be better suited for the actual costuming thread (so if possible, a link would be very appreciated) but I saw worbla mentioned above and I had a question somewhat related.

I'm trying to work on a Deathstroke costume, with more of a helmet look rather than the classic fabric head wrap/hood/cowl, whatever.

My question, and what I'm really bad at wrapping my head around is that I kind of want to make it a two piece, clam shell kind of thing that would encase my whole head, but allow me to lift up the front like a visor, or just remove it. So a sort of front and back two piece. But how would I secure both halves to my head? Would I be better off looking at Iron Man designs?

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Tollymain posted:

haha chill dude, i have about a quarter of a gently caress handy to give about comic books at any given point in time. i just like making fun of them

Somehow this makes you way lamer than if you had just ignored my post instead of responding like a stoned twat, and I posted about masturbating to cosplayers like 3 posts above yours.

Tollymain
Jul 9, 2010

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i think you fail to understand the meaning of chill

Decrepus
May 21, 2008

In the end, his dominion did not touch a single poster.

I find women attractive.

Samuel
Nov 5, 2011

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I had no idea Seth Mcfarlane was secretly a german nerd.

I don't look like Seth Macfarlane, maybe it's the black hair. :crossarms:

mind the walrus posted:

It's not that though, you know what I'm peeved about is that people make really cool stuff in cosplay. But that some mild erotica done by someone with E cup breasts will get trillions of favorites and recommendations. poo poo like if I look at the old photos from Kana Cosplay where she did that fire emblem girl she looked like she smoked crack, but her Super Sonico nurse photos look amazing like 5 digital experts and a make-up production crew worked on her. It's kinda like streaming, does sex really sell so well that it kind of obscures what it's about : Dorks doing costume production of their dork hobbies?

I'm not even saying: "pls stop now!" but it feels so, low hanging fruit kind of instant gratification. And I wonder how I feel about that, I guess it's no surprise that cosplay is the new thing for people who don't want to go into the cutthroat modeling world. Maybe It's part jealousy that I can't explode as big or easily in the same way, I think a lot of the arguments against hotty cosplay would come from that corner.

CzarChasm posted:

I'm trying to work on a Deathstroke costume, with more of a helmet look rather than the classic fabric head wrap/hood/cowl, whatever.

Make armour and water transfer dip everything.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DgEjrtBprlo

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Tollymain posted:

i think you fail to understand the meaning of chill

That looks like its about halfway to a Bender costume.

McPantserton
Jan 19, 2005

IRONICALLY SWEALTERING

Samuel posted:

It's not that though, you know what I'm peeved about is that people make really cool stuff in cosplay. But that some mild erotica done by someone with E cup breasts will get trillions of favorites and recommendations. poo poo like if I look at the old photos from Kana Cosplay where she did that fire emblem girl she looked like she smoked crack, but her Super Sonico nurse photos look amazing like 5 digital experts and a make-up production crew worked on her. It's kinda like streaming, does sex really sell so well that it kind of obscures what it's about : Dorks doing costume production of their dork hobbies?

I'm not even saying: "pls stop now!" but it feels so, low hanging fruit kind of instant gratification. And I wonder how I feel about that, I guess it's no surprise that cosplay is the new thing for people who don't want to go into the cutthroat modeling world. Maybe It's part jealousy that I can't explode as big or easily in the same way, I think a lot of the arguments against hotty cosplay would come from that corner.

If it makes you feel any better, basically none of those people are making any money on cosplay anyway so their popularity is really sort of dubiously valuable. There's a relatively famous cosplayer (200k+ facebook followers) who's friends with some of my friends and she had to get her parents to pay for the supplies for her last costume. I can only name maybe 3-4 cosplayers in the world that earn a living on prints and other associated sales.

Here are a few more BlizzCon shots, seems like everybody I follow is in a bit of a lull right now with con season being mostly over.
Phaleure Cosplay, love that shield

Not sure who these ladies are but I love both of these!

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Samuel posted:

For the removable faceplate, I think a hockey helmet base could work, provided you found one of the older styles without the cage.

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

McPantserton posted:

vacuum stuff

This is great info, thanks! We had our event yesterday and as we're (slowly) changing out costumes it really became apparent we need some new ones, mainly Buzz Lightyear. We're using an older store-bought costume for it now and I think it looks like poo poo. The kids love it though so whatever.

ex:

Quality isn't the best because I'm rehosting from fb but you get the idea

The Belle costume is our newest that we had custom made. The princess ones are all custom except for I think the Tiana one. I'm "okay" with all of them except Buzz, it really could be better.

I'm Prince Charming if you're curious.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Girl Link is best Link!

bewilderment
Nov 22, 2007
man what

Edit: disregard, turned out Bad Girl has an alternate outfit I've never seen.

bewilderment has a new favorite as of 04:47 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

bewilderment posted:

:goonsay: but I'm pretty sure that's not bad girl, it's the game's final boss (not including Henry), Jeane. Bad Girl wears a pink dress.

Nah, it's Bad Girl (for one thing Jeane never held a bat) - the second PS3 port added a second set of costumes for the girls except for Speed Buster.

• Locked thread