Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...

exquisite tea posted:

Trying to use the URLs for the Mexican storefront just keeps kicking me back to US.

You need the Hola plugin for chrome or firefox set to mexico.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Oh whatever, I can't read! I don't think I care strongly enough about this game to pre-order, as the MP is the only thing that strongly interests me, so I'll probably just let it mellow for a week and see if people are having fun with it.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

Hakkesshu posted:

Dragon Age 2 is loving bad, though.

It was the fantasy RPG equivalent of reading through a five page excerpt of groan-worthy Twilight fan fic over and over for a few dozen hours, at least that's what I felt I was doing. Meaning I'll have to give this game a week or two before planning a purchase I guess? Looks like it might be good, but I also remember Games Journalism cumming themselves over the touching story, vibrant world and exciting action of DA2.

It's kind of bullshit there's no PC toolkit in sight, that's what really makes colossal open world RPGs for me. Mudcrab tits.

Tezzeract
Dec 25, 2007

Think I took a wrong turn...
Dragon Age 2's story has some very low moments, but I liked how the main protagonist wasn't this Mary Sue world saver and was just trying to get by and keep his/her family alive. Your companions also had lives outside of just being party members and the time skips actually helped convey this.

It was wayy more interesting than DA:O's dumb fantasy politics.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki

Ihki posted:

Meaning I'll have to give this game a week or two before planning a purchase I guess?

You frame this as a question that none of us can answer.

Ihki
Dec 28, 2005
Hiik

SoulChicken posted:

You frame this as a question that none of us can answer.

I was thinking out loud, I thought. Sorry for the bother SoulChicken :confused:

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Darkhold posted:

I'm in the UK and couldn't get the Mexican Hola thing to work. If I added it to the basket it said 'product not available' or something along those lines. Trying USA seemed to work but it was more than I could get it at SimplyCDkeys with my loyalty points so I went with that instead.

Edit: huh tried it again now just to see and it seemed to work. Oh well.

Yeah, for anyone else trying it:

You add it to your shopping cart -and- go onwards to payment with the VPN/Hola/etc on, then switch it back to your region for paying for it.

Worked fine for me / Norway, got the game preloaded and ready.

Karnegal
Dec 24, 2005

Is it... safe?

Milky Moor posted:

Two things. One, the mages in Kirkwall are rightfully oppressed because they are literally psychopaths with powers that can unmake people at a whim and they give into demons at the drop of a hat. The whole 'interesting idea' there is derailed by the fact that the video game Nazis are basically right. It's gross. Hell, the two mages Hawke consorts with... One of them does Fantasy 9/11 and the other is an idiot who is about two seconds from summoning a demon herself.

Two, mages aren't just reused - there's tons of cutscenes and that showing mages giving in and becoming abominations. That's different to throwing in random Qunari... which I don't think happened that much anyway.

Some of those points are fair (though you do fight a lot of random Qunari - at one point in the middle of the loving gallows to boot).

I guess since I chained it to DAO playthrough it sort of just blended together since DAO is pretty similar in that most every mage you engage is a blood mage, and any innocent mages are background characters (the innocents in the circle in DA2 are pretty much the same as those in DAO - background characters you don't really interact with). Your party is also pretty much the same in that you have Morrigan who is your mage from outside the circle who uses forbidden magics but never actually does anything demonstrably evil in the game itself. And you have Wynne who is a circle mage possessed by a supposedly benevolent fade spirit. I guess you have the Mages' Collective in DAO, but if you're going to call DA2 to task, you have to recognize how loving stupid the idea of the Mages' Collective collective is. They're a bunch of apostates who set up shop across the pond from the loving Circle Tower and down the street from the chantry.

The good mages just minding their own business don't make for interesting characters. In DA2 you get Bethany if you aren't a mage, and she sort of slots into that role.

DAO doesn't really offer many more than DA2 though. The DAO DLC gives you one in Liliana and Morrigan's stories, but you also get Dr. Mengele in the Warden's Keep dlc. In the actual game, you've got the Daleish keeper who cursed generations of people for their ancestors sins. There's the crazy hermit in the woods who wants you to kill a totally chill ent just because. You've got a little boy who makes a deal with a demon and ends up killing half his town. There's the Tavinter slavers who offer to kill a bunch of innocent elves to give you stat buffs. There are blood mages hanging out in Denarim and the Dragon Cult mages. I suppose Irvine is a cool dude, but that's about it in terms of characters you meet and can talk to.

That said, in terms of sheer numbers, I think that both games have far more background circle mages who do nothing of note. I guess my point is that almost all of the critiques about the presentation of mages in DA2 could just as fairly be leveled against DAO, but they aren't because DAO doesn't have an awful combat system (even if it is too hard/fiddly for the average player). Writing this up, I'm starting to think that BioWare just really bungled the presentation of mages in the whole series since the writing team clearly comes down on the side of "mages are unfairly oppressed".

Karnegal fucked around with this message at 12:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

Hakkesshu posted:

Dragon Age 2 is loving bad, though.
Don't blame the story, blame the storyteller.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich
Do we know why the Templars were trying to kill mage human Inquisitor before the game starts?

Jack's Flow
Jun 6, 2003

Life, friends, is boring
I'm re-installing DA:Ultimate Edition on my laptop, while considering to purchase a console to play this. What is going on? After abandoning DA2 I thought I was done with this franchise. poo poo.

edit: Totally wrong thread for this... but Xbox One or PS4? Decisions! Haven't paid attention to consoles in years.

Jack's Flow fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Nov 17, 2014

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

got my key! It won't let me preload until 5pm today, so i guess it's time for VPN shenanigans

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

Karnegal posted:

That said, in terms of sheer numbers, I think that both games have far more background circle mages who do nothing of note. I guess my point is that almost all of the critiques about the presentation of mages in DA2 could just as fairly be leveled against DAO, but they aren't because DAO doesn't have an awful combat system (even if it is too hard/fiddly for the average player). Writing this up, I'm starting to think that BioWare just really bungled the presentation of mages in the whole series since the writing team clearly comes down on the side of "mages are unfairly oppressed".

You know the main difference there is that DAO as a whole wasn't about the plight of the mages, it was just one sideplot out of many. In DA2, it is the crux of the entire story, which is why them handling it in the most hamfisted, juvenile way stands out much more.

Ephemeron posted:

Don't blame the story, blame the storyteller.

Why not blame both?

Hakkesshu fucked around with this message at 13:02 on Nov 17, 2014

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

I'm living in a nightmare.

Stormgale posted:

As someone who wants to avoid touching Dragon age 2 as much as possible is there a Quick Run-down of the Legacy DLC as apparently it is important according to the PC gamer article.

PCGamer did a 2 hour explanation of everything in the tapestry so go nuts: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rv6A-CHqkq8

DA2 starts about an hour and twenty in.

FreddyJackieTurner
May 15, 2008

Am I the only one who misses the more cartoonish sociopathic characters like Edwin, Korgan, or HK from the old Bioware games? It seems like they have to make every companion have a soft lovable side now in the name of a more "deep" narrative.

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

Speaking of cartoonish sociopaths, I initially viewed Anders actions as a fantasy 9/11 and an affront to my noble American sensibilities.

However, when I was listening to the lyrics of Hulk Hogan theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwXmz1KGoQ) I had the stunning realization that Anders was really fighting for the rights of every man. Just like a real American. So, is Anders better represented as Osama or the Hulkster?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

This is very important to me.

Hammerstein
May 6, 2005

YOU DON'T KNOW A DAMN THING ABOUT RACING !
Is it correct that the earliest way to unlock this is to use a VPN to South Korea in roughly 4 hours and then fire up Origin ?

Vichan
Oct 1, 2014

I'LL PUNISH YOU ACCORDING TO YOUR CRIME

Doink9731 posted:

Speaking of cartoonish sociopaths, I initially viewed Anders actions as a fantasy 9/11 and an affront to my noble American sensibilities.

However, when I was listening to the lyrics of Hulk Hogan theme song (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VFwXmz1KGoQ) I had the stunning realization that Anders was really fighting for the rights of every man. Just like a real American. So, is Anders better represented as Osama or the Hulkster?

I don't know what to believe anymore.

This is very important to me.

So you're saying that David Gaider is a truther?

Boing
Jul 12, 2005

trapped in custom title factory, send help
I'm sorry but the greatest Bioware character is Xanos Messarmos

gibbed
Apr 10, 2006

Hammerstein posted:

Is it correct that the earliest way to unlock this is to use a VPN to South Korea in roughly 4 hours and then fire up Origin ?
Hong Kong or Taiwan will work as well.

A. Beaverhausen
Nov 11, 2008

by R. Guyovich

gibbed posted:

Hong Kong or Taiwan will work as well.

Thailand and Indonesia too.

Magical Zero
Aug 21, 2008

The colour out of space.
If Anders survived DA2, is there any chance we get to put him to the torch in Inquisition? I want to be the biggest antimage I can be :mrgw:

Doink9731
May 11, 2011

Vichan posted:

So you're saying that David Gaider is a truther?

I'm just asking questions. :beck:

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
Are there any images of the actual mage trees? Do we know what order you can select the spells? For example Clean Burn sounds useful but will you have to unlock 5 other fire spells to choose it?

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

Disco De Soto posted:

Are there any images of the actual mage trees? Do we know what order you can select the spells? For example Clean Burn sounds useful but will you have to unlock 5 other fire spells to choose it?

i'm sure there is one out there.

try, like, googling it or some poo poo.

Meis
Sep 2, 2011

took me like a minute

The inferno tree, for example

lazy! I'm sure you can find the rest yourself.

SoulChicken
Sep 19, 2003

mek it fuhnki
I played Legacy just now. If only DA2 had been like that all the way through. Felt like an Origins campaign. No waves of enemies for starters. Glad I did that.

Afraid of Audio
Oct 12, 2012

by exmarx

SoulChicken posted:

I played Legacy just now. If only DA2 had been like that all the way through. Felt like an Origins campaign. No waves of enemies for starters. Glad I did that.

It would still have the excellent writing of Bioware, regardless of encounter design.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Meis posted:

took me like a minute

The inferno tree, for example

lazy! I'm sure you can find the rest yourself.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Checked out through origin Mexico and preloading now :toot:

Then hopefully in a few hours will be able to unlock via a VPN.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

Disco De Soto posted:

http://imgur.com/a/DzqMh

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

whos an idiot who got up at 8am to play a videogame in an hour?

its me. i'm the idiot

Aled
Jun 3, 2013
Anyone know when Nvidia usually puts out their driver updates for new games? Was hoping it would be out before the game unlocks here in Korea, where I totally am right now for real.(I'm not really)

WastedJoker
Oct 29, 2011

Fiery the angels fell. Deep thunder rolled around their shoulders... burning with the fires of Orc.
It varies, tbf, they've already had 2 specific game updates recently.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Thank you too! Any idea how many ability points you get at the start? I see humans get 1 bonus point, but how many will the other races get?

franchise1
Jun 5, 2006
Am I right in thinking this will be playable in 40 mins with the Korean VPN?

Archimago
Jun 18, 2014

I just want to nom on Merrill
^^^Yes.

Jack's Flow posted:

edit: Totally wrong thread for this... but Xbox One or PS4? Decisions! Haven't paid attention to consoles in years.

Definitely get a PS4, it is better in literally every way and is outselling Xbone at a 3:1 margin, last I checked. Basically, Microsoft and Sony switched places this generation...PS4 is the place to be both in terms of better hardware and the size of the online community.

Also, the PS4 looks way cooler.

Aled
Jun 3, 2013

Disco De Soto posted:

Thank you too! Any idea how many ability points you get at the start? I see humans get 1 bonus point, but how many will the other races get?

Pretty sure it's 1 per level, but their are items you can find that grant more skill points from what I've heard.

cheesetriangles
Jan 5, 2011

Hell yeah Korean VPN connected and it shows unlocking in 29 minutes. Today is a good day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chuf
Jun 28, 2011

I had that weird dream again.
Didn't see this mentioned but RPS's review is up.

Maker's breath I'm so loving hyped to play this game.

• Locked thread