Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

im pooping! posted:

So I guess the result is if the hanger conducts electricity, there is no discernible difference, but do you have a link or anything? Or is it not silly enough to bother, because the concept sounds pretty silly and I'd like to read it if it's silly.
I think it turned out that most people actually thought the wire hanger performed better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
edit wrong thread

Have a death GIF to make up for it

Chichevache has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Nov 16, 2014

SplitSoul
Dec 31, 2000

Think I found it:

quote:

We gathered up a 5 of our audio buddies. We took my "old" Martin Logan SL-3 (not a bad speaker for accurate noise making) and hooked them up with Monster 1000 speaker cables (decent cables according to the audio press). We also rigged up 14 gauge, oxygen free Belden stranded copper wire with a simple PVC jacket. Both were 2 meters long. They were connected to an ABX switch box allowing blind fold testing. Volume levels were set at 75 Db at 1000K Hz. A high quality recording of smooth, trio, easy listening jazz was played (Piano, drums, bass). None of us had heard this group or CD before, therefore eliminating biases. The music was played. Of the 5 blind folded, only 2 guessed correctly which was the monster cable. (I was not one of them). This was done 7 times in a row! Keeping us blind folded, my brother switched out the Belden wire (are you ready for this) with simple coat hanger wire! Unknown to me and our 12 audiophile buddies, prior to the ABX blind test, he took apart four coat hangers, reconnectd them and twisted them into a pair of speaker cables. Connections were soldered. He stashed them in a closet within the testing room so we were not privy to what he was up to. This made for a pair of 2 meter cables, the exact length of the other wires. The test was conducted. After 5 tests, none could determine which was the Monster 1000 cable or the coat hanger wire. Further, when music was played through the coat hanger wire, we were asked if what we heard sounded good to us. All agreed that what was heard sounded excellent, however, when A-B tests occured, it was impossible to determine which sounded best the majority of the time and which wire was in use. Needless to say, after the blind folds came off and we saw what my brother did, we learned he was right...most of what manufactures have to say about their products is pure hype. It seems the more they charge, the more hyped it is.

Darkhold
Feb 19, 2011

No Heart❤️
No Soul👻
No Service🙅
If we're talking about stupid poo poo at our workplaces that don't work but for some reason people think they do...

At my job at the end of the day we close the big metal shutter and because whoever designed the place was an idiot there's a diagonal gap at the bottom that leaves an open spot at the bottom for about half the length. The people that owned it before started having the employees put a thin strip of metal along this gap to 'keep the rats out'. Even if this tiny bit of metal covered the entire gap (it doesn't) any decent rat could just push it out of the way. As it is they'd have no problems fitting through the gaps at either end of the thing. The new owner and I just can't bring ourselves to explain to them what a stupid waste of time this is so every day I get to watch them carefully pull that metal sheet away, stack it in a corner and at the end of the day drag it out and put it back. We've hinted a few times that it doesn't work but always get

'We haven't had rats once since we started doing this!' I'm doubtful they had rats unless they're talking about decades ago when they used to store different things in the yard like rags and wool.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer

Chichevache posted:

edit wrong thread

That's a good way to gently caress up someone's back.

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

That's a good way to gently caress up someone's back.

Helmet to helmet, good way to gently caress up his brain.

Schadefreuede for me though, my opponent this week had him

Pook Good Mook
Aug 6, 2013

ENFORCE THE UNITED STATES DRESS CODE AT ALL COSTS!

This message paid for by the Men's Wearhouse& Jos A Bank Lobbying Group

booshi posted:

Helmet to helmet, good way to gently caress up his brain.

Schadefreuede for me though, my opponent this week had him

That's clearly shoulder to shoulder.

Defenseless receiver on the other hand...

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

What?

And on with the schadenfreude.

Sexy schadenfreude?

Hydrolith
Oct 30, 2009
Pussy on webcam

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
Half a year ago, someone linked HAMBURGER GAME, which was three Japanese exchange students driving around SoCal and making each other eat at various hamburger joints.

The same crew has come back and made SUSHI GAME. Watch as three Japanese exchange students drive around Tokyo making each other eat at various sushi joints, and one of them develops a kidney stone.

Fur20 has a new favorite as of 04:20 on Nov 17, 2014

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

The White Dragon posted:

Half a year ago, someone linked HAMBURGER GAME, which was three Japanese exchange students driving SoCal and making each other eat at various hamburger joints.

The same crew has come back and made SUSHI GAME. Watch as three Japanese exchange students drive around Tokyo making each other eat at various sushi joints, and one of them develops a kidney stone.

Kidney stones are weird. Some people get them a lot and others never will even with the same diet.

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
I hear that a regular intake of citric acid can help.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Yeah some people have gently caress you, you're gonna get them no matter what. Drinking plenty of water helps keep your kidneys flushing out properly, though.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

WarpedNaba posted:

I hear that a regular intake of citric acid can help.

Even easier just drink a gallon of water a day.

coolskull
Nov 11, 2007

AzureSkys posted:

Parent's are upset about a dollar store toy labeled "Evilstick" that has a hidden picture of a scary thing.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=POCngEpkOLI

Pages back, but I've got this drat thing hanging off a nail in my wall (still attached to engrish packaging cardboard). Mine has a zombie with killer abs doing a sultry pose.

Bobby Digital
Sep 4, 2009

This one needs that He-Man gif spliced in.

Rick_Hunter
Jan 5, 2004

My guys are still fighting the hard fight!
(weapons, shields and drones are still online!)

Chichevache posted:

edit wrong thread

That's a good way to gently caress up your black.

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

BKPR posted:

Pages back, but I've got this drat thing hanging off a nail in my wall (still attached to engrish packaging cardboard). Mine has a zombie with killer abs doing a sultry pose.

Picture, please!

Kenning
Jan 11, 2009

I really want to post goatse. Instead I only have these🍄.

Rick_Hunter posted:

That's a good way to gently caress up your black.

Simpsons did it.

That Italian Guy
Jul 25, 2012

We need the equivalent of the shrimp = small pastry avatar, but for ambulances and their mysteries now.

That's a good way to gently caress up your quarterback (also, I know nothing about football).

Content:

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

http://youtu.be/4sY0X_n2fcw?t=1m45s

booshi
Aug 14, 2004

:tastykake:||||||||||:tastykake:

Pook Good Mook posted:

That's clearly shoulder to shoulder.

Defenseless receiver on the other hand...

Yeah helmet came in later

ow

WarpedNaba
Feb 8, 2012

Being social makes me swell!
Take off the helmet and pads and that's basically Rugby. And take away the constant stopping, too.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

WarpedNaba posted:

Take off the helmet and pads and that's basically Rugby. And take away the constant stopping, too.

Yeah, American football is directly derived from Rugby. And the helmets and the pads came later, after players kept dying in large numbers.

Skaw
Aug 5, 2004

WarpedNaba posted:

The schadenfreude is that a televised football games running time is 2/3 commercials, 1/3 game time. If you take away the constant stopping, when are they going to be able to play advertisements!

Punc
Nov 3, 2009

Ass to Ass.

WarpedNaba posted:

Rugby doesn't allow air tackles (well, maybe some Australian version does), so I'd imagine that's why they are wearing all the protection.

Deteriorata
Feb 6, 2005

Punc posted:

Rugby doesn't allow air tackles (well, maybe some Australian version does), so I'd imagine that's why they are wearing all the protection.

The helmets and pads are necessary due to the blocking and generally greater level of physical contact in the game. Rugby is more running around people, American football is more running over people.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Punc posted:

Rugby players don't use their heads as battering rams.

Palpek
Dec 27, 2008

Do you feel it, Zach?
My coffee warned me about it.

Punc posted:

There was this one game that was getting too dangerous as more and more players kept getting severely injured or died so one side went 'welp, better tweak the rules so that this isn't this insane' while the other gave players armor.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
Hardly seems worth the time putting on all that padding when the average US game of football only lasts for 11 minutes.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

Gorilla Salad posted:

Hardly seems worth the time putting on all that padding when the average US game of football only lasts for 11 minutes.

American football is a slower, more intellectual sport. I'm surprised that the rest of the world needs the constant stimulation of a nebbish twink running in circles for an hour. The biggest bastion of gridiron football is the American South, so it clearly isn't that difficult to follow.

Or else the rest of the world really is that far beneath us. :ohdear:

RonMexicosPitbull
Feb 28, 2012

by Ralp
yea id much rather watch the guys kick the ball back and forth for 88 minutes until something of consequence happens, if at all

-Anders
Feb 1, 2007

Denmark. Wait, what?
Oh no, people like different things. :ohdear:

Staryberry
Oct 16, 2009

WoodrowSkillson
Feb 24, 2005

*Gestures at 60 years of Lions history*

its quite possible to enjoy soccer, rugby, and football, and the fact they all share a common history is really cool and good

also comparing the hits is dumb because the pads have allowed football players to launch themselves at much higher velocities then generally seen in rugby which then also makes the hits more harmful over time.

Psychotic Puggle
May 21, 2012

When I'm dead, just throw me in the trash!
Speaking of American football injuries, here's a documentary from the 80s called "Disposable Heroes":

http://vimeo.com/4683642

Bonus schadenfreude: My dad misread the title as "Dependable Heroes" and bought it on tape for my younger brother (who was around 7 years old at the time) as a Christmas present. Oops.

ElGroucho
Nov 1, 2005

We already - What about sticking our middle fingers up... That was insane
Fun Shoe

Psychotic Puggle posted:

Speaking of American football injuries, here's a documentary from the 80s called "Disposable Heroes":

http://vimeo.com/4683642

Bonus schadenfreude: My dad misread the title as "Dependable Heroes" and bought it on tape for my younger brother (who was around 7 years old at the time) as a Christmas present. Oops.

I'm guessing he never played football

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
GOTTA CATCH DAT BUS

*crash*

Well, still gotta catch dat bus, later!

Mogomra
Nov 5, 2005

simply having a wonderful time

Bhodi posted:

GOTTA CATCH DAT BUS

*crash*

Well, still gotta catch dat bus, later!

What is this? The new Portal game? Why can I only see the bus on the other side of the glass that was broken?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bhodi
Dec 9, 2007

Oh, it's just a cat.
Pillbug
The left side is all reflection from the floor-to-ceiling office window panes. You can see the seam. Also the car passing by reflected in it.

• Locked thread