Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

EightDeer posted:

That Which Sleeps should be similar to what you're after.

That is not unlike what I was talking about! Thanks for the tip!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ProfessorCirno
Feb 17, 2011

The strongest! The smartest!
The rightest!
This conversation is basically exactly why that needed to be written in the first place.

The story is fine, the mechanics are fine. "Vampires don't usually get along and for all their calm are tense as hell and are natural loners, but you don't need to roll checks literally every single time" is perfectly fine advice.

Because otherwise the game would either a) lack story, or b) be entirely unplayable.

Knowing what I know about tabletop gamers, they'd vastly want b.

MartianAgitator
Apr 30, 2003

Damn Earth! Damn her!

TheCenturion posted:

Also, nWoD made me sad when they put out an 80s sourcebook, because most players are too young to have experienced it live.

Oh, man. I don't know much about nWoD splatbooks, but you'd have to do some fast talking to convince me this isn't hands down the best one. I mean, there's a goddamn trait that deals with your reflection in coke mirrors. Glorious.

TheCenturion
May 3, 2013
HI I LIKE TO GIVE ADVICE ON RELATIONSHIPS

ProfessorCirno posted:

This conversation is basically exactly why that needed to be written in the first place.

The story is fine, the mechanics are fine. "Vampires don't usually get along and for all their calm are tense as hell and are natural loners, but you don't need to roll checks literally every single time" is perfectly fine advice.

Because otherwise the game would either a) lack story, or b) be entirely unplayable.

Knowing what I know about tabletop gamers, they'd vastly want b.

If the fluff had been written 'Vampires put their hackles up when they meet, especially at first. This effect diminishes over time. Like dogs, some are naturally more aggressive, and some more submissive. Generally, this has no mechanical effects, but should be roleplayed. However, in certain situations, a roll to avoid frenzy may be called for, such as coming across a strange vampire in your haven, blah blah blah' it would have been fine.

But when the fluff makes a huge deal out of it, then the mechanics are the exact opposite, it's jarring.

MartianAgitator posted:

Oh, man. I don't know much about nWoD splatbooks, but you'd have to do some fast talking to convince me this isn't hands down the best one. I mean, there's a goddamn trait that deals with your reflection in coke mirrors. Glorious.

quote:

During this decade, the hold of the
Masquerade on the Daeva loosens slightly.
The effect of the Lost Visage (Vampire: The
Requiem, p. 75) on reflective surfaces, like a
chrome bar rail or glass coffee table, can be
suppressed for the scene with a successful
Manipulation + Socialize roll. The effect
does not extend to actual mirrors, merely to
surfaces that do not blatantly call attention to
the fact that something is supposed to reflect
in them.

Seven references to 'coke' and five to 'cocaine,' by my count.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
I've started playing this after picking it up in a steam sale a while back. Playing as Tremere, do I want to focus on thaumaturgy first when levelling?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
You should get the second level of thaumaturgy (pretty much the most useful skill in the game) as quickly as possible, but from there you can just level it as you see fit.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I started with it after going through the questions so I'll put points into other skills. Is it that important to focus on either melee or guns seeing as how I have blood strike?

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
Blood strike really doesn't have a lot of damage potential, it's mostly just a secondary attack to stack on the main. For the most part, melee is the better of the two offensive skills, and especially in combination with blood purge, can be pretty devastating.

Xander77
Apr 6, 2009

Fuck it then. For another pit sandwich and some 'tater salad, I'll post a few more.

Jose posted:

I started with it after going through the questions so I'll put points into other skills. Is it that important to focus on either melee or guns seeing as how I have blood strike?
It takes quite a while for guns to get good, while melee is reliable right away. By the endgame, guns have a bit of an advantage, but not an overwhelming one.

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

Jose posted:

You should have one combat skill, definitely. Blood Strike should be able to patch over the shittiness of early guns, so you can probably pick whichever you prefer, but make sure you have it maxed out eventually. The endgame gets rough, and you'll want to be able to fight. Don't make the mistake my first run as a Ventrue made and buff up all the social skills and ignore combat skills.

Iretep
Nov 10, 2009
Theres not much harm in having both melee weapons and ranged weapons if you are willing to use skill books.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

How does unarmed compare with using a weapon? Its hard to work out whether I'd do more damage with 3 in unarmed or 2 in melee and using a weapon like the tire iron

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jose posted:

How does unarmed compare with using a weapon? Its hard to work out whether I'd do more damage with 3 in unarmed or 2 in melee and using a weapon like the tire iron

Unarmed is only crucial for Gangrel because their warform is unarmed, and while unarmed does make it easier to feed on unwilling victims, you're a Tremere, you can just make unwilling victims willing with Dominate.

AFAIK, it can go pretty well in the early game, but it becomes irrelevant once the better weapons come out.

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund
Unarmed is also slow as poo poo, especially that third attack, and it had a really long recovery animation compared to a sword. The only slower weapon is the fire axe or bush hook, and both of those vastly out damage anything you can do with brawl unless you're a Gangrel.

The way to play as a Gangrel is to either use Animalism and laugh at how completely loving overpowered and broken it is, or you max Fortitude and Protean and bank on hitting hard and being able to grab dudes and feed on them in the middle of fire fights while the bullets all bounce off you.

This DOES NOT work in the later game if you use the Arsenal mod, however, because the Kuei Jin cultists and Society guys are all rocking fire damage.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

I've completed the plaguebearers quest for Strauss as the first thing I did once I'd killed Vick. Can I now turn in the other quest to the anarchs without losing the haven?

Fuzz
Jun 2, 2003

Avatar brought to you by the TG Sanity fund

Jose posted:

I've completed the plaguebearers quest for Strauss as the first thing I did once I'd killed Vick. Can I now turn in the other quest to the anarchs without losing the haven?

Yeah, just make sure you resolve the Gargoyle quest properly and you'll be fine.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
I always recommend putting a couple of points in unarmed simply for combat feeding purposes. No need to buy a lot, but at least get a couple to make fighting humans easier.

VVVVV
Bingo!

Pope Guilty fucked around with this message at 05:06 on Nov 17, 2014

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

It's fun to just plow through the Malk mansion biting everyone, since the crazy people are all humans and any damage you take is going to be mitigated by the next sack of blood.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

DeathChicken posted:

It's fun to just plow through the Malk mansion biting everyone, since the crazy people are all humans and any damage you take is going to be mitigated by the next sack of blood.

Thats what I'm currently doing, using suicide on the crazy men since they do actually attack you. I think I've got 5 points in unarmed from levelling either physical stats or books/conversation stat boosts. Aiming melee weapons is really awful, I have no idea why they thought you should be forced into a third person view to use them.

I wasn't expecting to lose humanity for convincing the TV guy to go back to the building where his crew were all eaten.

Auspex seems pretty useless

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------

Jose posted:

Auspex seems pretty useless

It has an application in a build I've heard of that sounds really fun. Build a character fully based around shooting - bump up Perception and Firearms up to 5. Then bump up Auspex to 5. Then use it in combat for 13 Ranged. Kill everything. Bonus points: Do it as a Toreador with maxed out Celerity. Kill loving everything even more.

Doesn't seem to have many applications beyond "Ranged boost and Hacking boost", though.

Here is Stovetop
Feb 20, 2004

...instead of potatoes.
Once you've played through the game a few times it loses some of it's value. The big bonus for it is seeing through walls/obstacles and knowing how many dudes are on the other sides of doors etc.

Aleph Null
Jun 10, 2008

You look very stressed
Tortured By Flan

Here is Stovetop posted:

Once you've played through the game a few times it loses some of it's value. The big bonus for it is seeing through walls/obstacles and knowing how many dudes are on the other sides of doors etc.

It was invaluable in the sewers.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.

Aleph Null posted:

It was invaluable in the sewers.

Are we talking about Noclip ITT?

Crindee
Nov 16, 2005

LOOK LIKE EMERIL
So apparently that project to move VtMB into the Unity engine got sent a C&D and was shut down. Although wasn't that the one that was probably going to spend years making it into lovely deathmatch before getting around to spending years on the singleplayer? If so I can't say I'm heartbroken, it's just weird that CCP gives a poo poo.

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

Weird that anyone would care about a multiplayer version of VTMB. Although I guess the main impetus behind it was Vampire fanatics who wanted to roleplay online or something like that? The combat of VTMB was pretty mediocre and I can't imagine it would have translated well to multiplayer deathmatches.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.
If they just want to roleplay it's not like Redemption doesn't come with its own NWN-style system. Hell, Redemption was in part made for facilitating online roleplaying.

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
I think it's just that it was a planned feature at some point in development, so it must be part of the ~*true bloodlines experience*~.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Whats the difference between a ghoul and thin blood?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Jose posted:

A ghoul is still a live human.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Jose posted:

A ghoul is a human that's ingested vampire blood. Ingesting vampire blood gives humans supernatural stamina/strength/heightened senses/etc., but it also creates a severe addiction (think heroin-level).

A thin-blooded is a vampire of 14th or greater generation, i.e. 14 times removed from Cain. A vampire's power level is more or less determined by how far removed they are from Cain, and the 14th generation is when Cain's curse is so diluted that they've basically got none of the powers but all of the disadvantages. There's more info here if you want.

Lemon-Lime fucked around with this message at 22:08 on Nov 23, 2014

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

Also virtually every vampire uses ghouls, while thin-bloods are subjects of prophecies about being harbingers of the end-times, so elders and superstitious vamps generally want them all murdered. Hilariously enough, the truth is that thin-bloods don't cause the Antediluvians to rise; rather, the deaths of a lot of vampires in a short time causes the Antediluvians to rise. So they're not actually the cause of the end, but rather the elders' crusades to murder them all is what causes the end!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

That was probably a huge spoiler I hovered over but I'm not sure I mind really. I know pretty much nothing about the D&D setting or whatever the game comes from. Is the generations thing also why my character appears so much stronger than others, or is that just because its a game?

Lassitude
Oct 21, 2003

There's some weird thing about the protagonist of VTMB being some kind of super vampire somehow, I think. I don't know for sure, but I remember reading in this thread that in regular vampire, character progression is not nearly as rapid as it is in this game, and that even Lacroix made some off-handed remark about how the character is unnaturally strong for a fledgling.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

The sewers were also nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, but that might be because blood shield absorbs a hell of a lot of damage before breaking

RagnarokAngel
Oct 5, 2006

Black Magic Extraordinaire

Jose posted:

The sewers were also nowhere near as bad as I was expecting, but that might be because blood shield absorbs a hell of a lot of damage before breaking

I kept thinking that early on until it just. Keeps. Going.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Once I realised I was largely safe from damage I just rushed the place. I can see why it would be horrible playing as other clans. I'm probably just going to do that from now on for all dungeon like places :v:

Ceyton
Oct 9, 2004

YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!
YOU'RE DEAD ARMITAGE!

Lassitude posted:

There's some weird thing about the protagonist of VTMB being some kind of super vampire somehow, I think. I don't know for sure, but I remember reading in this thread that in regular vampire, character progression is not nearly as rapid as it is in this game, and that even Lacroix made some off-handed remark about how the character is unnaturally strong for a fledgling.

Yeah, that's one of the more popular fan theories. The main piece of supporting evidence is that Lacroix will dominate you if you refuse to do the main plot quests, but then is unable to dominate you at the end of the game.

Why/how the PC gains power so quickly is open to a bit more interpretation. :iiam:

Republican Vampire
Jun 2, 2007

Jose posted:

That was probably a huge spoiler I hovered over but I'm not sure I mind really. I know pretty much nothing about the D&D setting or whatever the game comes from. Is the generations thing also why my character appears so much stronger than others, or is that just because its a game?

The fledgling's sire was an extremely powerful Anarch who likely had a very low generation level. There's also a fan theory that I think provides a better explanation, but it hinges on a lot of late-game spoilers that you only really get if you play a Malkavian.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Ceyton posted:

Yeah, that's one of the more popular fan theories. The main piece of supporting evidence is that Lacroix will dominate you if you refuse to do the main plot quests, but then is unable to dominate you at the end of the game.

Why/how the PC gains power so quickly is open to a bit more interpretation. :iiam:

The main theory is that the cab driver is Caine, and ~magically~ raises your generation because why not when you hang out with him, and is using you to further his own goals. This is why you go from a perfectly normal 13th generation childer to being able to resist Lacroix.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Republican Vampire posted:

The fledgling's sire was an extremely powerful Anarch who likely had a very low generation level. There's also a fan theory that I think provides a better explanation, but it hinges on a lot of late-game spoilers that you only really get if you play a Malkavian.
Yeah, the PC's blood pool is pretty large, right from the get go. And in tabletop, unless I'm missing some obscure thing from a supplement I never read, the size of your blood pool is determined entirely by your Generation.

• Locked thread