Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
PantsOptional
Dec 27, 2012

All I wanna do is make you bounce

Fuego Fish posted:

I am also partial to the rendition of Supergirl from Supergirl: Cosmic Adventures in the 8th Grade which was pretty hilarious all the time.

(From issue one thereof.)

Oh my God, I completely missed that her terrible grade was essentially in "how to time travel." That's so perfect. I really wish this series got a chance to continue on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

PantsOptional posted:

Oh my God, I completely missed that her terrible grade was essentially in "how to time travel." That's so perfect. I really wish this series got a chance to continue on.

Awesome. I've started to get my 6 year old daughter into comics by using the Marvel Adventures line and Tiny Titans. This Supergirl one also looks like a perfect gift to give her.

Exit Strategy
Dec 10, 2010

by sebmojo

GhostofJohnMuir posted:

A demonstration of just how far the Japanese are willing to take a pun.

When I got the pun, I kind of wanted to harm the guy who wrote the thing.

They're USA GIs.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Majuju posted:

TEEN DOG #3 (sorry I'm getting caught up)

I'm glad someone finally had the guts to make a joke about women's basketball.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Exit Strategy posted:

They're USA GIs.

Holy poo poo

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Lobok posted:

Yeah I've liked what I've seen of Teen Dog but that joke was old when Futurama made it nearly 15 years ago.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

Exit Strategy posted:

They're USA GIs.

I still don't get it. :(

AdjectiveNoun
Oct 11, 2012

Everything. Is. Fine.

Jiro posted:

I still don't get it. :(

Usagi is the Japanese word for rabbit.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

The Question IRL posted:

Awesome. I've started to get my 6 year old daughter into comics by using the Marvel Adventures line and Tiny Titans. This Supergirl one also looks like a perfect gift to give her.

It absolutely is. There's also the recurring gag with Kara's fantasy of being MOON!Supergirl. (Which is like regular Supergirl, just on the moon.)

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

AdjectiveNoun posted:

Usagi is the Japanese word for rabbit.

Aha. Like Usagi Yojimbo. Now I get it. :tipshat:

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

prefect posted:

Aha. Like Usagi Yojimbo. Now I get it. :tipshat:

There we go, I was focusing too much on the chimpanzee thing. Totally flew over my head. :thejoke:

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Okay, someone explain the basketball one now. I feel pretty dumb today.

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

Saoshyant posted:

Okay, someone explain the basketball one now. I feel pretty dumb today.

Women's basketball has been perpetually criticized as being "inferior" to men's basketball for any number of reasons (all of which tie into ingrained sexism). One of the often-used criticisms against the WNBA in particular is that the game is somehow less exciting because "women can't dunk" or some variation thereof - the counter-argument to this is that women's basketball features better fundamentals (movement, passing, etc.) with less of a focus on drives and dunks.

So the joke is basically "women's basketball sucks, they can't dunk!" to which someone counters "but they have good fundamentals!". As mentioned, Futurama made this exact joke early in its run:

quote:

Thog: But they make fun women's basketball.
Femputer: What? Did you explain how the women's good fundamentals make up for their inability to dunk?
Ornik: Yes. They still laugh.

See also:

quote:

Thog: This our comedy club. Humour here funny in different way.
Ornik: It not reinforce stereotypes.
Kug: Comedy come from character, real situations. Not abstract craziness.
Bender: Translation: Boring! [He, Zapp and Fry burst into laughter.] [laughing] That's a good one! [He literally gets his head bashed in.] Ow!

Mostly I posted that page for the first panel which has such bizarre and delightful phrasing, without even recognizing the third-panel callback until someone pointed it out. In conclusion, TEEN DOG #3:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Majuju posted:

Mostly I posted that page for the first panel which has such bizarre and delightful phrasing, without even recognizing the third-panel callback until someone pointed it out.

I thought the dunk-bots were funny. :shobon:

Vince MechMahon
Jan 1, 2008

Also is it actually women's basketball? Teen Dog is a guy and he is clearly playing with them.

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Lobok posted:

But there is one female, one male dog, and one robot playing.

e: GODAMMIT

Majuju
Dec 30, 2006

I had a beer with Stephen Miller once and now I like him.

TheJoker138 posted:

Also is it actually women's basketball? Teen Dog is a guy and he is clearly playing with them.

Yeah it's just generic high school basketball, Teen Dog's team is two girls, Jim the football player, and a teen dog. They are also playing against a team of dunking robots from Shermer High School. Teen Dog is awesome.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

A Superman daily from 1960 (make big)

Elfface
Nov 14, 2010

Da-na-na-na-na-na-na
IRON JONAH
I can't help but picture that as part of a Proto-hostess advert.

"Not so fast! Delicious Ice Cream gave me the energy I needed to save him just in time!"

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
Goddamn communist ice cream men. They probably think neapolitan is too decadent.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

Goddamn communist ice cream men. They probably think neapolitan is too decadent.

THREE FLAVORS! :commissar:

Here's Superman's other weakness: astrology.

World's Finest 225

Silhouette
Nov 16, 2002

SONIC BOOM!!!

That dude's eyeliner game is sick.

hiddenriverninja
May 10, 2013

life is locomotion
keep moving
trust that you'll find your way

Silhouette posted:

That dude's eyeliner game is sick.

It's the Eyeshadow... of evil.

Marshal Radisic
Oct 9, 2012

A Strange Aeon posted:

A Superman daily from 1960 (make big)

Richard Feynman is assassinated by the Good Humor Man? poo poo, man, thanks for spoiling issue #25 of The Manhattan Projects for me!

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Random Stranger posted:

THREE FLAVORS! :commissar:

Here's Superman's other weakness: astrology.

World's Finest 225
"Guess you're younger than me now, huh Clark?" "gently caress you, Billy."

Sizone
Sep 13, 2007

by LadyAmbien
Outcasts, it turns out, is a really good book with a very dredd pedigree.

Outcasts #2

Outcasts #3

Outcasts #5

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Daredevil #9

I'm a sucker for a good "Daredevil is blind" joke. Also Foggy's bad disguise is a good laugh as well.

A Strange Aeon
Mar 26, 2010

You are now a slimy little toad
The Great Twist

Sizone posted:

Outcasts, it turns out, is a really good book with a very dredd pedigree.

Outcasts #2

Outcasts #3

Outcasts #5

This looks funny; that first picture looks like some weird fetish though!

Hakkesshu
Nov 4, 2009

A Strange Aeon posted:

This looks funny; that first picture looks like some weird fetish though!

Don't lump vorarephilia in with those other weird fetishes man

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TwoPair posted:

Daredevil #9

I'm a sucker for a good "Daredevil is blind" joke. Also Foggy's bad disguise is a good laugh as well.

But why is Foggy in disguise? And why are they making fun of the writing skills of a blind man? They know he can't see the words on the paper/screen, right?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Foggy has cancer and is in the middle of treatment, he faked his death so that Daredevil villains wouldn't try and attack him/steal him for ransom/revenge/whatever while he's undergoing treatment. The costume is because he's been having cabin fever from being in hiding so much.

(Also Matt could technically read the ink of the receipt if he wanted and wasn't trying to be cocky).

Waterhaul fucked around with this message at 15:48 on Nov 18, 2014

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

Who What Now posted:

And why are they making fun of the writing skills of a blind man? They know he can't see the words on the paper/screen, right?

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

Waterhaul posted:

(Also Matt could technically read the ink of the receipt if he wanted and wasn't trying to be cocky).

I thought he just saw sounds?

Waterhaul
Nov 5, 2005

it was a nice post,
you shouldn't have signed it.

Luminaflare posted:

I thought he just saw sounds?

He has a radar sense that is a mixture of sound and taste creating patterns that he can distinguish so he actually sees more than a personal with normal sight.

All his other senses are at a ridiculous level depending on the story though; his touch for example is sensitive enough that he can feel grooves in paper from printing and reads non-braille books and pieces of paper that way and his hearing is sensitive enough that he can distinguish someone coughing a few blocks away in the middle of a blizzard in New York.

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Waterhaul posted:

He has a radar sense that is a mixture of sound and taste creating patterns that he can distinguish so he actually sees more than a personal with normal sight.

All his other senses are at a ridiculous level depending on the story though; his touch for example is sensitive enough that he can feel grooves in paper from printing and reads non-braille books and pieces of paper that way and his hearing is sensitive enough that he can distinguish someone coughing a few blocks away in the middle of a blizzard in New York.

Also, this.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Waterhaul posted:

Except color. :v:

I remember a short story in Marvel Comics Presents where he's disarming a bomb and the last step was to cut the blue wire. Sadly I can't find the panel...

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

prefect posted:

Also, this.

He also does some driving in the Daredevil movie, but as Matt, to gently caress with a witness that the Kingpin had paid off, if I recall.

Jimbone Tallshanks
Dec 16, 2005

You can't pull rank on murder.

Are we mocking Daredevil because he's blind? You guys are so insensitive. If any blind person with a screen reader were to stumble into this thread I bet they'd be insulted. To make up for it here are some images that are in no way mocking daredevil being blind:

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Huh. You think she added the text herself, or did she get that custom-made?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

There was also that panel from right after his identity got revealed where a random guy asks Daredevil what color his shirt is.

• Locked thread