Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
You could argue that a significant portion of the workforce now being university educated has lead to most finding lower level jobs beneath them, leading to the massive rise in unemployment of degree qualified people in their twenties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

Wolfsbane posted:

And?

The original rationale for free tuition was that an educated population is a net benefit to the country. Did that stop being true when more people went to university for some reason?

If the people are going to low quality universities doing worthless degrees, then have raised expectations of what is to come after they graduate, then yes.

Saki
Jan 9, 2008

Can't you feel the knife?

Wolfsbane posted:

And?

The original rationale for free tuition was that an educated population is a net benefit to the country. Did that stop being true when more people went to university for some reason?

The original rationale was predicated on the belief that a certain proportion would go to university. The higher the proportion, the less realistic that rationale becomes in terms of resources etc.

Wolfsbane
Jul 29, 2009

What time is it, Eccles?

I'm guessing "low quality universities" means "universities I didn't go to" and "worthless degrees" means "arts", right?
e:

Saki posted:

The original rationale was predicated on the belief that a certain proportion would go to university. The higher the proportion, the less realistic that rationale becomes in terms of resources etc.

Why? If something is profitable, surely you would want to do more of it?

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

serious gaylord posted:

You could argue that a significant portion of the workforce now being university educated has lead to most finding lower level jobs beneath them, leading to the massive rise in unemployment of degree qualified people in their twenties.

You could but you'd have it the wrong way around. High unemployment leads to more people seeking degrees in the hopes of improving their chances but the unemployment problem is structural rather than a skills issue.

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

tentish klown posted:

If the people are going to low quality universities doing worthless degrees, then have raised expectations of what is to come after they graduate, then yes.

If

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

tentish klown posted:

lmao you are a leech you don't get to call any degree worthless you spaff pile.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Wolfsbane posted:

I'm guessing "low quality universities" means "universities I didn't go to" and "worthless degrees" means "arts", right?

There are plenty of worthless degrees in the scope of employment. More or less anything to do with History/English is utterly pointless without a view to going on and teaching it. There are thousands of people who have spent tens of thousands of pounds on things like Fashion, theatre costume/set design just to end up working in an office due to the incredibly low number of jobs in that profession. One of my best friends recently admitted to regretting even going to uni to study art history as it has set her back so far in the world for no benefit.

Unfortunately Degrees do not mean you get a job these days as 'degree educated' can mean anything from 'bumbled through 3 years at Bournemouth Arts institute to get a degree in film studies' to 'honours from Kings in mathematics'.

Phoon
Apr 23, 2010

The Open University should be nationalised and free imo.

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead
Back in the day you paid nothing up front for your education, received a stipend to live on while studying, and then hopefully paid it back through taxation when you graduated.

These days you pay nothing up front for your education, receive a stipend to live on while studying, and pay it back via the tax system when you graduate.

Plus ca change...

notaspy
Mar 22, 2009

serious gaylord posted:

There are plenty of worthless degrees in the scope of employment. More or less anything to do with History/English is utterly pointless without a view to going on and teaching it. There are thousands of people who have spent tens of thousands of pounds on things like Fashion, theatre costume/set design just to end up working in an office due to the incredibly low number of jobs in that profession. One of my best friends recently admitted to regretting even going to uni to study art history as it has set her back so far in the world for no benefit.

Unfortunately Degrees do not mean you get a job these days as 'degree educated' can mean anything from 'bumbled through 3 years at Bournemouth Arts institute to get a degree in film studies' to 'honours from Kings in mathematics'.

In a service based economy (like ours) a degree in anything is good as it shows the person is able to do the type of work the modern office environment entails.

There might be some truth that highly educated people have an incorrect idea as to what they are about to face, but since when have adolescents been good at making level headed decisions? Add to this that they have no experience they must relay on the information given to them.

The problem is the current economy not useless young people being upperty wankers.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

:discourse:
It's what's for dinner.

Wolfsbane posted:

Why? If something is profitable, surely you would want to do more of it?

I'm guessing the 'profitable' part of an educated populace is the part that has a job that makes use of a degree (or makes use of the skills acquired in getting that degree). When those jobs fill up, you end up with waste - either the degrees don't get used or they go abroad.

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

i see the point you're trying to make, but if you call a loan a stipend then words have ceased to have meaning

Flectarn
May 29, 2013

serious gaylord posted:

you sure you aren't bitter that you didn't get invited to the cool people parties? haha

LemonDrizzle
Mar 28, 2012

neoliberal shithead

Cerv posted:

i see the point you're trying to make, but if you call a loan a stipend then words have ceased to have meaning
well, call it financial support to cover living expenses if you prefer an unnecessarily big mouthful

LemonDrizzle fucked around with this message at 17:23 on Nov 17, 2014

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

TinTower posted:

There's already a catchier Francophone African charity single for the Ebola crisis anyway:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ruYQY6z3mV8

This is rad, thanks for sharing

Rolled Cabbage
Sep 3, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

There are plenty of worthless degrees in the scope of employment. More or less anything to do with History/English is utterly pointless without a view to going on and teaching it.

Don't you work in marketing? I wouldn't hire non-English or at least non-language/media grads to do marketing, since their copy is always terrible. Most people who have not specifically studied English can't write anything to save their life, never mind being pursuasive or informative. Our worst, most terrible 'couldn't tell which end of a computer was up' marketing staffer was the masters marketing kid. Best were the English, linguistics and design ones.

bitterandtwisted
Sep 4, 2006

serious gaylord posted:

I hate the attitude that the sole purpose of education is a higher salary and if it doesn't do that it's worthless.
History teaches you to critically evaluate sources, vital considering the state of the press. Communication skills you lean in English are important in all walks of life.
The very few people I've met who have done more esoteric things like dance at a high level tend to be the most dedicated to their chosen field.

A highly educated population is a good thing in itself.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Wolfsbane posted:

Why? If something [like charging for education at the point of delivery] is profitable, surely you would want to do more of it?

bam

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
Your university choices can be affected by your choice of GCSE subjects, which can be made as young as 13. That's pretty crazy.

mfcrocker
Jan 31, 2004

Hot Rope Guy
History grads are very sought after for research skills. They make good barristers, for example

IllusionistTrixie
Feb 6, 2003

serious gaylord posted:

to 'honours from Kings in mathematics'.

Which makes you qualified for what exactly?

Teach Maths?

Andre Le Fuckface
Oct 4, 2008

:pwm:

LordVorbis posted:

Teach Maths?

A bunch of jobs in the finance sector stipulate a degree in maths or a mathematical field

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah maths is basically a really good thing to study because you'll be in high demand.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'm guessing the 'profitable' part of an educated populace is the part that has a job that makes use of a degree (or makes use of the skills acquired in getting that degree). When those jobs fill up, you end up with waste - either the degrees don't get used or they go abroad.

Like bitterandtwisted said, it's more soft benefits than literal capital gains; a country where everyone had only supposedly lesser arts and humanities degrees would be better off than one with half a handful of chartered engineers. Imagine a Britain where the default state wasn't nearly everyone being wrong about nearly everything. Wouldn't that be great?

JFairfax posted:

Yeah maths is basically a really good thing to study because you'll be in high demand.

A bad reason to take a degree you weren't already interested in, FYI. Attempting to be mercenary about higher education is only going to work out if you're the kind of polymath and/or psychopath who could do well at just about anything on no more motivation than "I kinda feel like it".

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 17, 2014

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.

Renaissance Robot posted:

Like bitterandtwisted said, it's more soft benefits than literal capital gains; a country where everyone had only supposedly lesser arts and humanities degrees would be better off than one with half a handful of chartered engineers. Imagine a Britain where the default state wasn't nearly everyone being wrong about nearly everything. Wouldn't that be great?

Oh I quite agree, though I think it's worth adding that there are plenty of educated people who are still nearly wrong about everything.

If there's one education I would make mandatory across the population (and which I would bury in government money to achieve) it's a course in statistics.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...

KKKlean Energy posted:

Oh I quite agree, though I think it's worth adding that there are plenty of educated people who are still nearly wrong about everything.

If there's one education I would make mandatory across the population (and which I would bury in government money to achieve) it's a course in statistics.
If and when you start meeting people who are in positions of real power, you'll feel a strange mix of terror and liberation once you realise how little they know about even very basic things (statistics being just one of them) and how quick they are to make decisions and judgments based on the sort of lazy prejudice you'll find down any pub. Liberation because you finally, viscerally understand that almost everyone is winging it, just like you are, and terror because you wonder whether that's also true of people you'd really rather hope it wasn't (surgeons; public health officials, captains of Trident nuclear submarines and so on).

tentish klown
Apr 3, 2011

LordVorbis posted:

Teach Maths?

Any data analysis position, management consultancy, graduate level programming jobs, most jobs in the finance sector, accountancy, business analyst positions, and yes, teaching maths.

Zephro
Nov 23, 2000

I suppose I could part with one and still be feared...
Management consultancy is the opposite of a useful job, though. Or at least it is for the 20-something guys with heads full of game theory and zero experience of actually running something. Someone like that is very rarely going to have anything useful to say.

That's not to say it's not well-paid, of course. Plenty of people either believe that management consultants with no experience of managing a firm are actually somehow useful, or else they're required to act as if they believe that, because if they object they'll be ignored and/or sidelined.

Microplastics
Jul 6, 2007

It's what's for dinner.
In my experience, management consultancy is a very enticing hole for anyone who has a budget to use up.

My last salary trickled down pretty much directly from the NHS.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

KKKlean Energy posted:

I'd add history to that, for reasons mentioned above by bitterandtwisted. Maybe it's just that I had a couple of good history teachers, but it really drove home source bias, and some of the thinking errors like confirmation bias (which was absent from science class even though it's a major science thing).
Thinking in terms of numbers is useful, but when so much media drives to play on emotion it's essential to be able to work with that.

Maybe critical thinking or some philosophy too.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass

Guavanaut posted:

I'd add history to that, for reasons mentioned above by bitterandtwisted. Maybe it's just that I had a couple of good history teachers, but it really drove home source bias, and some of the thinking errors like confirmation bias (which was absent from science class even though it's a major science thing).

You had very good history teachers. I can't imagine a version of my own experience of compulsory history education that might have included, for example, an analysis of allied war crimes and the way in which these were effectively written out of history.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Which UKMT thread was the train-making GBS threads story in?

Margaret Thatcher
Jan 2, 2013

by Cowcaster

You had very good history teachers. I can't imagine a version of my own experience of compulsory history education that might have included, for example, an analysis of allied war crimes and the way in which these were effectively written out of history.

Maybe not looking at that specifically, but the current GCSE curriculum requires students being able to critically analysis sources and potential bias.

There have been issues in the past two years, however, where Gove has tried to make History lessons more about memorising facts and figures.

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

Farecoal posted:

Which UKMT thread was the train-making GBS threads story in?

It's in every thread, if you look close enough the poo poo is in you

Margaret Thatcher posted:

Maybe not looking at that specifically, but the current GCSE curriculum requires students being able to critically analysis sources and potential bias.

There have been issues in the past two years, however, where Gove has tried to make History lessons more about memorising facts and figures.
I'm pretty certain if you asked any given graduate exactly what should be compulsory at university, something that was central to what they did will be on that list. If only because the general ignorance of the general population will be amplified for them in that area.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

I don't think that was specifically mentioned, but there were definitely things like "Here are some translated German newspaper articles from 1916 covering an event, here are some British newspaper articles from 1916. Read through them and tell me which you think are least biased. Why do you think the British press weren't lying just as hard as the Germans?" and things like looking at the motivations of all sides in the Korean War and the biases they may have used to defend their involvement.

As forums poster Ms Thatcher (:ghost: :tinfoil:) said above, that sort of thing should still be in the curriculum, but Gove hated it. Possibly because people might apply it to current sources.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Guavanaut posted:

l

As forums poster Ms Thatcher (:ghost: :tinfoil:) said above, that sort of thing should still be in the curriculum, but Gove hated it. Possibly because people might apply it to current sources.

Most of Gove's policies seemed to revolve around how he was taught. Which a lot of people do ("I learnt it like this and I'm smart/it worked for me!") but politicians should step back and listen to what professionals and/or academics say about the subject.

Zeppelin Insanity
Oct 28, 2009

Wahnsinn
Einfach
Wahnsinn

Phoon posted:

The Open University should be nationalised and free imo.

I just wanted to say - gently caress The Open University. My girlfriend got her Masters' (Psychology) from there and it was hell for her.

Her assigned tutor did not like her thesis subject. He would call her on the phone to threaten her, saying that if she doesn't do as he says he will make sure she never has a career in the field. The staff lied to her and told her that the ethics committee rejected her Masters' thesis topic - later, when all internal communication regarding her was given over on request, it turned out that the ethics board was just fine with it. It was her tutor, and members of staff who liked him who made that happen. There was lots of internal communication where they discussed how to screw her over. Turns out they also falsified her grades from exams.

They threw her out out the course, despite good grades. She was only readmitted half a year later, after threatening to take the matter to court. She did manage to get a different tutor, again only by threatening legal action. That one was encouraging, but the rest of the staff were not. She didn't get any sort of extension on the deadlines, so in effect she had half a year less to work on her thesis. Other people in the course got extensions when they asked for them, she did not. After everything was sorted, everyone in the course got written confirmation that they graduated. She did not until just before the graduation ceremony. Which cost hundreds of pounds. She didn't want to go, though family insisted.

Then at the graduation ceremony, they insisted she do the usual student speech of thanking the university for all the support she received.

gently caress those shitheels.

Carrier
May 12, 2009

LordVorbis posted:

Teach Maths?

Rofl.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kegluneq
Feb 18, 2011

Mr President, the physical reality of Prime Minister Corbyn is beyond your range of apprehension. If you'll just put on these PINKOVISION glasses...

If everyone here had honours from Kings in mathematics, we'd all be loaded and then have no option but to self-cannibalise
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJ3kVtd2CCA

Edit: Obviously if the whole country had honours from Kings in mathematics, unemployment would be 0% and everyone would be equally wealthy, it would be wonderful.

Kegluneq fucked around with this message at 21:11 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread