Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pram
Jun 10, 2001
pagancows whole philosophy regarding this seems 2 be: ull get good karma if you watch ads, and then studios will make shows you want to see?

lol what a fuckin moron

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Athletic Footjob
Sep 24, 2005
Grimey Drawer
wats his opinions of tv licences. is it the ultimate way to tv?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Sagebrush posted:

like, honestly pagancow: can you come up with a single reason that advertising is a positive force in the world beyond "it is a necessary part of making things that people actually want to see?"

It allows people to enjoy content that they would never pay for, by allowing someone else to pay for it.

Win/win

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

so "no" then

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

pram posted:

pagancows whole philosophy regarding this seems 2 be: ull get good karma if you watch ads, and then studios will make shows you want to see?

lol what a fuckin moron

you luv me and u know it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

i mean, why else would you post in every thread I do?

pram
Jun 10, 2001
lol you are such a narcissistic shithead

pram
Jun 10, 2001
its pretty much impossible not to post in the threads you post in because you poo poo up every loving topic with your aspergers tv poo poo no one cares about fucker

pram
Jun 10, 2001
stop loving posting outside your ghetto

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

~codecs.gif~

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
guys i think pagancow............................is trolling!!!

pram
Jun 10, 2001
no you can tell hes 'trolling' because he'll spaz out like 10 replies no one will read

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

pagancow posted:

It allows people to enjoy content that they would never pay for, by allowing someone else to pay for it.

Win/win

so it's welfare, then

pram
Jun 10, 2001
you LITERALLY have a thread about ads and yet here you are

crusader_complex
Jun 4, 2012
now ive heard of that thread via word-of-mouth

uh-oh

:tinfoil:

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pagancow posted:

have fun not being the customer

dont cry online when "there's nothing worth watching"

this is stupid and objectively wrong and we've shown exactly why it is so

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

Farecoal posted:

guys i think pagancow............................is trolling!!!

im sure that's what he'll tell you

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

rotor posted:

im sure that's what he'll tell you

pls let me inhabit my comfortable fantasy world

Cocoa Crispies
Jul 20, 2001

Vehicular Manslaughter!

Pillbug

Sagebrush posted:

like, honestly pagancow: can you come up with a single reason that advertising is a positive force in the world beyond "it is a necessary part of making things that people actually want to see?"

I used to say to our audiences: "It is difficult to get a man to understand something, when his salary depends upon his not understanding it!"
I, Candidate for Governor: And How I Got Licked (1935), ISBN 0-520-08198-6; repr. University of California Press, 1994, p. 109.

AtomD
May 3, 2009

Fun Shoe
what would yospos be without bad opinions anyway

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

pagancow posted:

most normals go "hmm i could go to a shady site, and pick up a virus trying to find the right download button and wait for the whole video to stream and hopefully i understand codecs enough to watch"

or

"go to cbs.com"

just use a mac. no viruses!

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

lol mac users have to go straight to the legit source because they have money and their time is actually valuable

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

rotor posted:

rotor, your one of my favorite posters and all, but lets be honest here, popular shows that make money dont get canceled

pagancow fucked around with this message at 16:58 on Nov 17, 2014

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Yes, you are right that some shows can survive without ad revenue, but they are making money in another way. Not many shows have this luxury as you need to have large dedicated followings willing to buy merch/subscriptions

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Remember, if you're willing to subject yourself to dirty ads, the network shows that are profitable, but not mega profitable are on Hulu Originals.

The internet is supposed to solve this problem of content for everybody as there is infinite supply.

H.P. Hovercraft
Jan 12, 2004

one thing a computer can do that most humans can't is be sealed up in a cardboard box and sit in a warehouse
Slippery Tilde
isn't top gear the most pirated television show ever or something

or did game of thrones supplant it

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Oh i'm sure, but Game of Thrones is an anomaly since they have external revenue streams in the works like Merch/movies/books and HBO will still keep footing the bill since it's still easier to get an HBO subscription then figure out MKV for a large portion of the audience.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

A _lot_ of people pirate game of thrones.

a _lot of people pay for HBO too so they can maintain the budget/quality of the episodes.

Those pirates will pay for other game of thrones tangibles so it's beneficial to keep that unofficial channel open.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

pagancow posted:

*vomits torrent of poo poo*

pram
Jun 10, 2001
thread has been thoroughly pagancowed

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

pram posted:

thread has been thoroughly pagancowed

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

you may not know this but even our horrible "unscripted" shows full of dumb people pretending to be rich or rich people pretending to be hicks have higher production values than almost everything made for tv anywhere else in the world and if american shows had slightly poorer lighting or were only mixed in stereo instead of surround almost nobody would actually give a poo poo

newreply.php
Dec 24, 2009

Pillbug
all the unscripted shows, that went on hiatus during the writers strike

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

american tv shows are expensive because they can be not because they have to be

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

rotor posted:

he works in the ad industry, if you think being thoroughly disproven is going to prevent him from repeating a convenient lie, you're sorely mistaken

besides what would pagancow do if he had to face the lie of the ad based just-world philosophy he believes in? he melts down for pages over encoder settings and gama curves ffs. the meltdown could level the forums

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

infernal machines posted:

he melts down for pages over encoder settings and gama curves ffs.

what. is he the sperg-king

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

I'ma buy a 55" 4k TV and replace my dell 30" and two portrait screens on the sides. Yeah, have a rage seizure screen nerds.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
hes not wrong tho. if ratings are poo poo they cancel shows cause ratings are what drives ad revenue. if the target audience for your show has a high percentage of pirates then it doesn't matter how much the pirates like your show, their watching doesn't show up in the ratings. this is probably the major reason you wont get a science fiction show on network tv that lasts more than a few episodes.

lol if you think networks are running/cancelling shows based on anything other than ratings.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
it's notable that nobody else has ever posted any of his wacky codec gifs

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Shaggar posted:

lol if you think networks are running/cancelling shows based on anything other than ratings.

lol if you think ratings have anything to do with how many people are actually watching the show.

how many people with neilson boxes maybe, but dick all else

• Locked thread