Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

withak posted:

Wherever your stuff is stored, the point is that the server app needs to be running somewhere to use Plex. XBMC is more self-contained but the box hooked to your TV needs to be good enough to handle the library-management stuff as well as playback.

Library management can be handled by an SQL server for XBMC.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Man speaking of Plex, has anyone managed to connect PlexConnect and their up-to-date AppleTV 3? I'm getting an error [-120something] when adding the trailers.apple.cer certificate to the aTV using the non-USB method and I'll be damned if I can figure out why.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

Don Lapre posted:

If you know how to do that then you probably don't need short and to-the-point comparisons between the Plex vs. XBMC.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

Or upnp.

withak posted:

If you know how to do that then you probably don't need short and to-the-point comparisons between the Plex vs. XBMC.

I was pretty shocked to see how simple it was to set up upnp on XBMC when I transitioned from Plex. Turn on 'Share video and music libraries through UPnP' in the settings and that's it. You lose the benefits you get from adding media to the library but you can use a skin like Amber to link the videos/music directly to the front page.

And it's only a matter of time before they figure out how to add upnp sources to the library or add better upnp support. It's pretty basic but it's on par with Plex (at least for local support on your home network)

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 18:44 on Nov 17, 2014

PitViper
May 25, 2003

Welcome and thank you for shopping at Wal-Mart!
I love you!
Offloading the database in XBMC isn't a big resource saver, whatever machine you use to actually update the database has to be at least moderately powerful. My Raspberry Pi is painfully slow if I use it to update the library for new content, but the Atom/Ion PC on the main TV doesn't skip a beat when updating, and can scan all the file shares in about half the time.

My desktop hosts the database and file shares, the clients just play back media. Makes it easier to manage, and keeps the noisiest piece of the setup tucked in my office instead of next to the TV.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.
I dont know if upnp does the same thing as sql on xbmc

All my xbmc clients are in sync, if i watch a show on one i can pick it up on another, all my watch history is synced up. If i wipe and reload a machine i just copy my advancedsettings.xml and all my stuff is there with history.

Belle Isle Tech
Aug 28, 2009

Don Lapre posted:

Depends on TV model but I'll post more info tomorrow.

So what's the story on this?

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Don Lapre posted:

I dont know if upnp does the same thing as sql on xbmc

All my xbmc clients are in sync, if i watch a show on one i can pick it up on another, all my watch history is synced up. If i wipe and reload a machine i just copy my advancedsettings.xml and all my stuff is there with history.

It's sounds kind of alike.

You enable upnp on the main machine that's serving up the media. On the machine catching, you go videos -> files -> add videos -> find the video or music library from the main machine -> add it -> after it's added, add to favorites -> at that point, you can add it to main page with a skin like Amber and hide the original videos or music tab.

The watch history, with local media, is all synced up since it's communicating with the main machine.

A few small issues with using upnp, on the machines catching, are:

- Since it's not adding the upnp media into the library, you lose the advanced features from that. Like smart playlists with videos or party mode with music.
- Edit sort title doesn't work.
- It doesn't bring over all of the information. Ratings are missing for some reason. You can't access trailers. You can't pull up the full info page when browsing like you could on the main machine.

But Plex doesn't really have any of that anyways so it isn't that big of a loss for me. I'm sure upnp support on XBMC will probably be all fleshed out in 2-3 years anyways.

But to expand on what it does bring over. Here's some screenshots from one of my setups going from the main screen into movie title.

PitViper posted:

My desktop hosts the database and file shares, the clients just play back media. Makes it easier to manage, and keeps the noisiest piece of the setup tucked in my office instead of next to the TV.

That's what I did. I put my old HTPC in a spare room and use a few Fire TVs to catch around the house.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Belle Isle Tech posted:

So what's the story on this?

Ohh sorry

You need a harmony remote
Add the tv model UE55ES7080 and program the buttons "Factory" and "3speed" to it. (its possible your model samsung tv may have these already in the harmony database, the US55ES7080 is just one i know that has them and works with any samsung tv)

Power off your samsung tv. With your samsung remote press Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - power. This will power on your tv in the service menu.

Then press Factory, your tv will start doing color slides. Press 3speed and your tv will go to the extended service menu.

Then go to Option -> MRT -> PVR Support. Change it to On. Power off the tv, power it on. You should have PVR support now. Plug in a usb flash drive and hook up an antenna and see if it works.

DO not gently caress with anything else in the service menu.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Lapre posted:

Ohh sorry

You need a harmony remote
Add the tv model UE55ES7080 and program the buttons "Factory" and "3speed" to it. (its possible your model samsung tv may have these already in the harmony database, the US55ES7080 is just one i know that has them and works with any samsung tv)

Power off your samsung tv. With your samsung remote press Mute - 1 - 8 - 2 - power. This will power on your tv in the service menu.

Then press Factory, your tv will start doing color slides. Press 3speed and your tv will go to the extended service menu.

Then go to Option -> MRT -> PVR Support. Change it to On. Power off the tv, power it on. You should have PVR support now. Plug in a usb flash drive and hook up an antenna and see if it works.

DO not gently caress with anything else in the service menu.

Can this be done with a smartphone with an IR blaster?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Dr Tran posted:

Can this be done with a smartphone with an IR blaster?

If you can get the codes in it. There are hex codes for the buttons available.

http://forum.samygo.tv/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3104&start=10

PuTTY riot
Nov 16, 2002
I am dropping directv and want to pick up OTA signals from 2 different areas as they get different NFL games. I'm thinking 2 of these, (hopefully in my attic, though I have 2 dish mounts that could be repurposed) one pointed towards Memphis and the other towards tupelo and some sort of combiner. Am I on the right track with this? Below is my tvfool plot. Memphis is North Northwest and Tupelo is Southeast.

PuTTY riot fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Nov 19, 2014

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Two antennas can cause problems. I'd probably use two different ota tuners. One for each antenna. Or a rotator.

Dr Tran
Dec 17, 2002

HE'S GOT A PH.D. IN
KICKING YOUR ASS!

Don Lapre posted:

Two antennas can cause problems. I'd probably use two different ota tuners. One for each antenna. Or a rotator.

Really? I just moved into a new place and saw two antennas stacked on each other on the roof and just wired my TV to the cable that was dangling. This must explain why I don't get channel 13.

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
I would imagine as long as the antennas are picking up different frequencies, but if there is any overlap that could cause some real issues.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Here is some info

http://www.tvantenna.com/support/tutorials/combining.html

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

Thinking about selling my ps4 and grabbing a roku or chromecast. What is the difference between all these devices? If I have an iPhone and Mac, does it matter if I get a chromecast instead of Apple TV?

Who is the best?

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Chromecast had no interface. You need a laptop or android device to cast content from.

Roku has an interface and remote. It runs apps.

I prefer Fire TV personally as I find it to run amazingly and the app I use most (plex) is great. I can't wait for my fire TV stick to come is as it sounds like it is similar performance for $25.

Gyshall
Feb 24, 2009

Had a couple of drinks.
Saw a couple of things.
Can you tab cast to fire TV?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Donald Kimball posted:

Thinking about selling my ps4 and grabbing a roku or chromecast. What is the difference between all these devices? If I have an iPhone and Mac, does it matter if I get a chromecast instead of Apple TV?

Who is the best?

As a multimedia streaming device, nothing beats a roku.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Gyshall posted:

Can you tab cast to fire TV?

Someone answer this please; my FireTV shows up on my phone/PC when connected to my home wifi and it will negotiate a connection but always fails for some reason.

1st AD
Dec 3, 2004

Brazilian Jiu-Jitsu: sometimes passing just isn't an option.

sellouts posted:

Chromecast had no interface. You need a laptop or android device to cast content from.

You can cast from an iOS device.

sellouts
Apr 23, 2003

Yes you can. Sorry.

You can cast YouTube from any device but I haven't done it and I think it requires the YouTube app.

Allcast is also available but I've never used it.

porktree
Mar 23, 2002

You just fucked with the wrong Mexican.
Hey, Bestbuy has the Firestick for $25 if you didn't jump on the $20 price when it was introduced. I got one, and so far really like it. It's like an ATV but without all the fuckery to make Plex work. I haven't used a Roku, my experience is mainly with ATVs and Chromecast, but at $25 this beats both of those into the ground.

Vinlaen
Feb 19, 2008

I've very close to cutting the cord... I've been with Dish Network for about 10 years and am trying out local cable now (Service Electric TV company; my only provider option) and I'm really unhappy with the HD quality of both them.

Anyways... can you watch OTA channels (using an HDHomeRun, etc) on a FireTV or Roku?

I'm a huge fan of XBMC (which supports PVR/OTA functionality), but it doesn't have native Neflix or Amazon support (or Hulu, etc).

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Vinlaen posted:

I've very close to cutting the cord... I've been with Dish Network for about 10 years and am trying out local cable now (Service Electric TV company; my only provider option) and I'm really unhappy with the HD quality of both them.

Anyways... can you watch OTA channels (using an HDHomeRun, etc) on a FireTV or Roku?

I'm a huge fan of XBMC (which supports PVR/OTA functionality), but it doesn't have native Neflix or Amazon support (or Hulu, etc).

The HomeRun is a DNLA source, so anything that supports that should work, however there's a few different HomeRun Devices, make sure you get the right one. Only one of them does OTA, I'm not sure which.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Android TV has a hdhomerun app though its still beta.

Bird Law
Nov 5, 2009

Hummingbirds are a legal tender.
Really close to cord cutting and even though it's still a monthly TV bill, which I'm trying to drop altogether, the Roamio just looks too good to pass up in spite of the subscription needed. Are there other options for simple, OTA DVRs that come close to the Roamio?

Super-NintendoUser
Jan 16, 2004

COWABUNGERDER COMPADRES
Soiled Meat

Bird Law posted:

Really close to cord cutting and even though it's still a monthly TV bill, which I'm trying to drop altogether, the Roamio just looks too good to pass up in spite of the subscription needed. Are there other options for simple, OTA DVRs that come close to the Roamio?

Win8 HTPC with Media Center requires no subscription. I use it, it's a little clunky, but it's free.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Bird Law posted:

You could get the Tivo OTA version of the Roamio and pay the lifetime subscription with the secret $100 code. That would run you around $350 all total, I think. Channel Master has one for around $250, but I haven't used it.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Silly Burrito posted:

You could get the Tivo OTA version of the Roamio and pay the lifetime subscription with the secret $100 code. That would run you around $350 all total, I think. Channel Master has one for around $250, but I haven't used it.

You cant get lifetime on the tivo OTA.

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT

Don Lapre posted:

You cant get lifetime on the tivo OTA.

You can't? Then that really limits it to me and isn't worth the $100 savings versus the regular Roamio (assuming you'd rather pay it all off in one lump sum.)

Donald Kimball
Sep 2, 2011

PROUD FATHER OF THIS TURD ------>

If I use mostly Netflix, HBO GO, and occasionally cast from my computer to the TV (to watch torrents or free streams), what would be my best choice?

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

Donald Kimball posted:

If I use mostly Netflix, HBO GO, and occasionally cast from my computer to the TV (to watch torrents or free streams), what would be my best choice?

Plex plus Chromecast.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Donald Kimball posted:

As soon as the HBO GO app is launched, Fire TV Stick + XBMC w/ addons

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Medullah posted:

Plex plus Chromecast.

I'd argue Plex plus Fire TV Stick is the better option for most people now. Especially since you can get it for $25 (plus tax and shipping?) currently.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
Can this HDHomeRun HDHR4-2US do HD upnp streams from a OTA source?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY0UB54

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Call Me Charlie posted:

Can this HDHomeRun HDHR4-2US do HD upnp streams from a OTA source?

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00GY0UB54

Yes but you need a device capable of mpeg2 decoding which lots of things do not support.

This one
http://www.amazon.com/SiliconDust-H...=hdhomerun+h264

Will transcode internally to h264

Irritated Goat
Mar 12, 2005

This post is pathetic.
I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Irritated Goat posted:

I have a somewhat odd request. The only thing I can't stream is Monday Night Raw (USA Network). The only sites that do stream it are the nice shady ones and occasionally, you have to change sites during broadcast as the stream will fail. I'm assuming an antenna is overkill. My chromecast won't stay on WiFi properly so I'm looking for a workaround or a better idea of getting this 1 particular show I watch live and nothing else. :sigh:

Currently using a Roku 3 w\ Plex for everything else.

Does USA Live stream show it, or is that just sporadic?

http://www.usanetwork.com/videos/live

You're not going to be able to grab it via an antenna, and WWE Network doesn't offer it.