Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
eric
Apr 27, 2004
Lipstick Apathy
Neilson sent me $30 to fill out a TV watching survey and I didn't do it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

eric posted:

see? this is the reason all of your favourite shows are cancelled.

it has nothing to do with watching ads

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

eric posted:

you should have done it they would keep sending you money

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go

Shaggar posted:

hes not wrong tho.

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

I'ma buy a 55" 4k TV and replace my dell 30" and two portrait screens on the sides. Yeah, have a rage seizure screen nerds.

i'ma buy a 32" 4k monitor to replace my dell 30". because i need that sweet PPI

Farecoal posted:

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

turns out he is wrong, and so is shaggar. who knew?

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

infernal machines posted:

see? this is the reason all of your favourite shows are cancelled.

it has nothing to do with watching ads

10,000 people is a statistically large enough sample

nope herp derp math dumb -u

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

yes, i'm sure there's no selection bias in voluntary surveys that are a pain in the rear end.

none whatsoever. perfectly valid models of the part of the population that's got enough time on their hands to fill out a bullshit survey or deal with a PITA neilson box.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

the only data advertisers want out of neilson are non cable subscribers.

Cable boxes do a good job reporting what people are watching, it was used heavily in this year's elections to double sell spots for the cannidate you were going to vote for.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

the only data advertisers want out of neilson are non cable subscribers.

Cable boxes do a good job reporting what people are watching, it was used heavily in this year's elections to double sell spots for the cannidate you were going to vote for.

so where does "watch ads or your favourite shows will dieeee" factor into this?

hint: it doesn't.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

I know it's difficult for people to keep track of money when it exchanges hands twice but i'll try to make this as simple as possible for you

1) show is created, called a pilot for maybe $500,000 This buys 3-6 episodes.

2) its marketed hard across whatever mediums they think the audience will be. keep in mind its some huge gamble of who they think is going to watch the show based off previous data of similar shows.

3) internet sources, neilson, cable boxes polled to see how the show is tracking, Ads are sold.

4) show runs, everybody checks the performance. If advertisers are seeing an uptick in sales, they run more ads against show. Show will attempt to look at data from multiple sources to start searching for more advertisers if a different audience is watching than they intended.

5) More episodes are paid for to be made if the numbers make sense, otherwise show is canceled and something else is moved in its place to sell better ad revenue

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

This whole cycle breaks down if you just pirate the show, since there are no metrics for companies buying ads to see if it's even performing well.

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006

lol if you think ratings have anything to do with how many people are actually watching the show.

how many people with neilson boxes maybe, but dick all else

it doesn't matter how flawed neilson is, its what they use.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

its an unspoken secret that neilson inflates all ratings so networks have a datapoint to say "look! we're really THIS big, pay us THIS much." It's how they are the number 1 datapoint used for network TV.

But this is all just business, Everybody negotiating to get paid the most.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

i bought a smart tv

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

Busta Chimes.wav posted:

i bought a smart tv

`ey check this one out guys, we got a real live comedian over 'ere!

*pushes ur shoulder with gun* you.. funny guy, tell us another joke

OldAlias
Nov 2, 2013

i have a crt somewhere. electron guns are cool

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pagancow posted:

rotor, your one of my favorite posters and all, but lets be honest here, popular shows that make money dont get canceled

just like home taping did not kill the music industry and just like vcrs and time shifting didn't kill the movie studios Adblock is not killing any kind of media industry so please stop imying that it is, and please stop implying that tv will somehow magically stop being garbage if we just watch enough ads

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Kind of hoping apple does release a TV at some point.

• Out of the box rec.709 calibration.
  • A solution to HDMI-CEC
  • An elegant solution to Amping big home theatre speakers
  • Smart features would just be Apple TV is the menu everywhere, picture can stay behind.
  • Smooth UI, boot times low, etc.
  • black everywhere, please please please. do not put silver on the front of this thing or it will take away from the content.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

rotor posted:

just like home taping did not kill the music industry and just like vcrs and time shifting didn't kill the movie studios Adblock is not killing any kind of media industry so please stop imying that it is, and please stop implying that tv will somehow magically stop being garbage if we just watch enough ads

just because it's a bad way of doing things doesn't change how they are doing it.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

there is an existing solution to amping big home theater speakers, it's called an amplifier

unless you think a giant toroidal magnet putting out tons of heat strapped to the back of a tv will improve its picture

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
pagancow is there any reason for me to get cable outside of getting the latest football game

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

Sniep posted:

`ey check this one out guys, we got a real live comedian over 'ere!

*pushes ur shoulder with gun* you.. funny guy, tell us another joke

its a 3d tv with smart features. takes a long time to boot up, pretty bullshit imho

rotor
Jun 11, 2001

classic case of pineapple derangement syndrome

pagancow posted:

just because it's a bad way of doing things doesn't change how they are doing it.

I have no idea what ur tryin to say here

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

My Linux Rig posted:

pagancow is there any reason for me to get cable outside of getting the latest football game

I couldn't tell you. I really don't have the time, or desire to watch any kind of TV programing anymore.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

rotor posted:

You'll never be the mainstream audience, you're too educated, and have other more refined tastes.

You will never be able to get the mass adoption to watch a show created for you with big network dollars because the model doesn't support a few thousand watching it.

Sorry :~(

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

I do wish somebody would make an actual premium television that isn't gimmicky garbage though, "the best 1080p picture" is about the extent of my needs suiting

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

I do wish somebody would make an actual premium television that isn't gimmicky garbage though, "the best 1080p picture" is about the extent of my needs suiting

People dont actually like the way rec.709 looks though it would always be calibrated wrong.

Also doesn't help that about 80% of TV isn't color graded right so it looks like poo poo when viewing it to the HD standard (rec.709)

FMguru
Sep 10, 2003

peed on;
sexually

rotor posted:

i have put that post through the pagancow-to-english translator and here is the result:

pagancow posted:

im gay

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

If you do look at media on a reference display only the highest end movies actually look any good, and only becuase some master colorist went over every shot in the film for a few weeks.

TV shows will never have that kind of time since most are created from script to tape-out in 7 calendar days.

qirex
Feb 15, 2001

pagancow posted:

People dont actually like the way rec.709 looks though it would always be calibrated wrong.

Also doesn't help that about 80% of TV isn't color graded right so it looks like poo poo when viewing it to the HD standard (rec.709)

I eyeball calibrated my TV using the thx guide and some test patterns and I know it's "too dark" compared to average because i always have to crank the brightness in video games all the way up but it's an easy light situation in my room so I can leave it there

most people don't even bother matching program black to the letterboxes

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

This whole cycle breaks down if you just pirate the show, since there are no metrics for companies buying ads to see if it's even performing well.

piracy amounts to statistical noise, it's so incredibly uncommon that it has no bearing on anything. it's just something pearl-clutchers like to bring up as destroying the industry whenever it's convenient

and the metrics themselves are completely fictitious the whole way through. whether or not we watch ads has nothing to do with the almost wholly invented numbers advertisers get from the networks, which in turn were pulled out of the rear end of whatever ratings source they used.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i dunno all i know is I'm still mad about futurama being cancelled

where's my lovely romance sub plot and stupid nerd jokes fox

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

Shaggar posted:

it doesn't matter how flawed neilson is, its what they use.

it matters if it's your source for arguing that watching ads matters to content creators.

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

qirex posted:

I eyeball calibrated my TV

whoops.

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
i liked the Carl Jr ads where someone noisily ate a burger

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

Most video game devs dont calibrate their monitors or understand gamma curves (in the ITU sense) so they put these brightness sliders in front of the game as a bandaid.

also doesn't help that people are real quick to be like "ITS TOO DARK" slam the brightness to 100%

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

qirex posted:

I eyeball calibrated my TV using the thx guide and some test patterns and I know it's "too dark" compared to average because i always have to crank the brightness in video games all the way up but it's an easy light situation in my room so I can leave it there

most people don't even bother matching program black to the letterboxes

same, the thx thing on the terminator 2 blu ray made me push the brightness way the hell down

My Linux Rig
Mar 27, 2010
Probation
Can't post for 6 years!
I have a new idea for an ad

some guy will fart into the camera, sigh contently and then it'll cut to a bottle of metamucil

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

pagancow posted:

also doesn't help that people are real quick to be like "ITS TOO DARK" slam the brightness to 100%

~plays survival horror game at 100% brightness~ i don't get what's supposed to be so scary about this.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pagancow
Jan 15, 2001

Video Stymie

it matters if it's your source for arguing that watching ads matters to content creators.

You play ball in the court with the rules you're presented

• Locked thread