Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
disperse
Oct 28, 2010

Avalon Hill recieved a letter from a scientist with a PhD (who was also an Avalon Hill fan) complaining he couldn't understand the rules.
So, I ended up buying Sushi Go! for my 7-year-old and played several games with him and my 6-year-old nephew, my dad joined in for a couple games as well.

It went over really well with the kids, they both picked up the rules fairly quickly and wanted to play again immediately after we finished a game.

Player interaction is pretty much limited to making decisions that might deny another player a combination so it doesn't get too competitive. We weren't tallying score from round to round so that also kept the games pretty friendly.

It seems like a great, light, filler game that plays very quickly, even with 5 players. I don't think it has enough strategy or meat to satisfy the board gamer elite but that isn't really its target audience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Corbeau posted:

Cool to see Shogi get mentioned. Easily my favorite 2-player abstract, though I've never had the interest or group to get good at it.

Yeah it's rapidly becoming mine, as well. I have the interest to get passable at it, enough to form a castle and some basic attacking ideas. I only play a few times a year, though, so not enough to actually get good of course.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

disperse posted:

So, I ended up buying Sushi Go! for my 7-year-old and played several games with him and my 6-year-old nephew, my dad joined in for a couple games as well.

It went over really well with the kids, they both picked up the rules fairly quickly and wanted to play again immediately after we finished a game.

Player interaction is pretty much limited to making decisions that might deny another player a combination so it doesn't get too competitive. We weren't tallying score from round to round so that also kept the games pretty friendly.

It seems like a great, light, filler game that plays very quickly, even with 5 players. I don't think it has enough strategy or meat to satisfy the board gamer elite but that isn't really its target audience.

I played it between games of Tash-Kalar saturday, and it works very well as a light filler. The key is to have one guy speed things up by shouting "hai!" the moment the last guy has chosen a card, preferably as a race with anyone who has chopsticks. It gets even more fast paced for no reason at all, which is awesome. We tried to carry over the speed to Tash-Kalar, but it sort of died out quickly...

Also, what is Shogi and will I like it? I trust you guys way more than wikipedia on this.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

BonHair posted:

I played it between games of Tash-Kalar saturday, and it works very well as a light filler. The key is to have one guy speed things up by shouting "hai!" the moment the last guy has chosen a card, preferably as a race with anyone who has chopsticks. It gets even more fast paced for no reason at all, which is awesome. We tried to carry over the speed to Tash-Kalar, but it sort of died out quickly...

Also, what is Shogi and will I like it? I trust you guys way more than wikipedia on this.

I explained it a bit in my post!

Shogi is Japanese chess, with different pieces and a couple extremely important differences in play. One, when you capture a piece, you set it beside you and as a move later, you can place it down anywhere on an empty space. Pieces generally move less fast as in chess (one rook, one bishop, no queens, most other pieces only move one space in some directions or only forward), so placing pieces down is way faster to get attacks going. Also, this means the board doesn't really clear up, it just gets messier as the game goes on. Two, there's no "castle" move, since you want to protect your king, to castle you literally form a castle out of some useful defensive pieces and move your king inside it. Three, pieces upgrade when they move onto or off of a space in the enemy's last three rows (bishops and rooks gain a one space movement in the directions they can't move in, all other pieces upgrade to a king-except-diagonal-back, also called a gold general).

Just a couple exceptions: you can't drop a pawn on a file with one of your pawns already, you can't drop a piece where it will never move (i.e. pawn on last rank sort of thing), and you cannot checkmate with a pawn drop (totally can with other pieces though, and this is an incredibly important rule even though it sounds super tiny).

And the pieces, as I said, make a fabulously satisfying clack when you slam them down on the board, as you're supposed to do.

edit: oh one last thing, you need to be able to identify the pieces; this feels insurmountable for a game, kinda okay for a game, and then the chinese characters are just obviously "oh that's a gold, that's a lance, that's a pawn, that's the king" with no effort basically.

silvergoose fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Nov 17, 2014

Corbeau
Sep 13, 2010

Jack of All Trades
Strategically, Shogi feels very different from Chess even though you're still moving (or placing) a single piece each turn. The drop rule means that you often start a skirmish on one side of the board just to get a piece, or set of pieces, in hand. Once on the board pieces are generally slower than in Chess, so each skirmish feels self contained... aside from it's massive implications due to the drop rule. The game doesn't slow down as it goes on, either: it accelerates. Because no piece gets removed permanently in Shogi and offense generally beats defense, stalemates are rare. The Shogi endgame is typically a race to checkmate the other player before they can checkmate you. Defense is crucial, mind, but only because a good defense will buy that critical time.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

I would gladly pay $5 more to get a good game right out of the box instead of saving $5 to get an extremely clunky game that more or less requires a GM to manage in order for play to go smoothly.

EH actually had a fairly decent first expansion as opposed to the horror that are BSG's expansions. This is mainly because wherever they added new cards, the also included new variations on old cards in order to keep the card draw probabilities the same. When they added new monsters, they also included more basic cultists in order to keep them the most common monster in the game and the probability of them coming out of the monster cup the same.

In other words, when they added things they didn't forget to keep things balanced at the same time!

Jury's still going to be out though on Mountains of Madness, though. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll just be more bloat, though.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

BonHair posted:

If you know the basic rules of chess, go here and play a quick sample game against the AI. That'll tell you if you like it or not.

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/shogi/shogi_e.html

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

LuiCypher posted:

Jury's still going to be out though on Mountains of Madness, though. I have a sneaking suspicion it'll just be more bloat, though.

At the very least, Mountains of Madness will have new Investigators, which should slot in easy enough. The misc "new stuff" that I assume will be in (items, spells, etc.) should slot in easy enough too.

Although I hate the idea of additional boards, I like that the side board is at least fairly easy to access (a ship ticket, iirc?), as opposed to something like Dunwich/Innsmouth/etc that required a fair amount of work to do for very little benefit.

But I was really impressed with Forsaken Lore. It added more stuff, but made efforts not to dilute things too much. Like if a quest needed a specific item, there would be a way to fetch it out of the deck, the new locations and whatnot allowed you to get poisoned (this loving sucks) so that poison isn't some esoteric condition, etc. It felt really well integrated. Hopefully Eldritch Horror doesn't require an expansion expansion like Arkham did to help with expansion dilution.

ChiTownEddie
Mar 26, 2010

Awesome beer, no pants.
Join the Legion.
Not sure if this matters or not...

http://www.fantasyflightgames.com/edge_news.asp?eidn=5212
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/blogpost/35879/asmodee-acquire-fantasy-flight-games

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Didnt Asmodee and Days of Wonder just merge? FFG just bought like 1/2 of their direct competition.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lord Frisk posted:

Didnt Asmodee and Days of Wonder just merge? FFG just bought like 1/2 of their direct competition.
Other way around.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Yeah, I just did a little further reading. Now Asmodee is a loving juggernaut.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Yes, but what will this mean for the quality of their manuals? :D

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

They'll probably keep everything as-is for a while, same production lines, same lovely rules, the profits just go to France. Maybe in a few years when they do new editions of stuff.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
I am ready for Dixit Horror.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

sonatinas posted:

I am ready for Dixit Horror.

This unironically. Actually, just do Dixit in lots of out-of-its-comfort-zone versions, possibly also with well-known art.

Oh, I also played Mage knight sunday with three newbies. It went well-ish, except I had no time to plan my own turns between answering questions. I had totally underestimated/gotten used to the huge amount of fiddly bits, and it kind of overwhelms new players a lot. They enjoyed it though, and for some strange reason, they neither questioned nor forgot "fire block against ice attack", which was a drat miracle after spending ages explaining swiftness.

Yas
Apr 7, 2009

COOL CORN posted:

If you know the basic rules of chess, go here and play a quick sample game against the AI. That'll tell you if you like it or not.

http://www.gamedesign.jp/flash/shogi/shogi_e.html

This was actually a lot of fun, thanks.

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend

silvergoose posted:

51st state: Learned this just a couple weeks ago, Race for the Galaxy like but with much more interaction between players' tableaux and a really nice post-apocalyptic theme. I like it!

Did you play with the expansion? I don't know how it compares to RftG, as I haven't played that, but 51st State has become a running joke in my group specifically due to how you get a game about lawless wastelands and yet it has no interactions, and the designer had a blog post about how people pointing it out made him mad.

(I still think it's a good game and I like it, but I'm cursed to like everything with Neuroshima on the box.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Lord Frisk posted:

Yeah, I just did a little further reading. Now Asmodee is a loving juggernaut.

It was already a juggernaut. They incorporated Days of Wonder, Ystari and practically every other French publisher.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Tevery Best posted:

Did you play with the expansion? I don't know how it compares to RftG, as I haven't played that, but 51st State has become a running joke in my group specifically due to how you get a game about lawless wastelands and yet it has no interactions, and the designer had a blog post about how people pointing it out made him mad.

(I still think it's a good game and I like it, but I'm cursed to like everything with Neuroshima on the box.)

We didn't, we got the game for $10 in a charity thing at Unity Games a few years back and it was just sitting on our shelf because the rulebook sucks balls. It has interactions, just very few; the draw (lookout) phase has a bit of card theft and the build buildings that other people want to pay you workers for part. But yeah, other than that, not much.

On the other hand, Race has *no* direct interaction and the only indirect interaction is deciding what phase you think your opponents are going to choose so you can leech off of it. So, 51st state has more.

We want to try the expansions and/or Imperial Settlers, which apparently loses the really fun theme but fixes a lot of issues without having to buy multiple expansions. Dunno. We like 51st state, won't play it all the time, but it fills a good "just want to draw cards and play em and build up my tableau" niche that Race and Eminent Domain kinda withered away from.

Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
As long as Asmodee never buys Asmadi, I'll be fine.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Chomp8645 posted:

Especially because he mentioned going blue and grabbing the seven unit armies upgrade. Attacking every turn with big armies is an attrition strategy that seems impossible if you're never holding territory and started with White 0 to boot. Something doesn't add up. Either he's stomping on bad players or they've got some rule horribly wrong like temples granting prayer points upon end of battle.

You don't make much, but you also don't spend much. You do have to be careful, hence the use for that shield card and preference for shields in general. You'll also spend a lot of time praying. You're recruiting recalled troops so that's usually a wash and your budget mainly goes to teleporting and the odd cheap upgrade. You're replacing losses less often than most because your troops aren't sticking around for wars of attrition. The total cost is maybe 2-6 prayer points a turn. The recruit action is your bottleneck rather than cost.

And as one person put it, it isn't a good strategy. It's slow. It's just a contagious one that can lead to a downward spiral in gameplay. A white strategy that sat at home for the first few turns could potentially beat it in the end provided it was passive enough and everyone else on the board agreed to stay home and not feed VPs. During a second game we played where everyone turtled, victory did go to a player who took the same basic idea of always recalling, ran for the wall-skipping tech and managed to make it a game where no one was safe in or out of their cities. Curiously what I was doing worked well against that too, since there was rarely anything in my city to attack and hanging out there was a great way to get a horde dropped on you.

One thing I suspect is that in a five player game where everyone else kept playing Kemet as usual with lots of back and forth and multiple VPs getting picked up each turn in the scramble for temples, this would be a slow, steady and ultimately losing strategy. In smaller games there's more effect from removing yourself from the board and a greater snowball potential once someone else adopts the approach.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

everyone turtled

Sounds like bad Kemet players to me.

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Jedit posted:

It was already a juggernaut. They incorporated Days of Wonder, Ystari and practically every other French publisher.

So what you're saying is, they're a juggernaut? And they absorbed Days of Wonder? Jeez, thanks. I'm surprised nobody's said that before

Texibus
May 18, 2008
Any of you dudes use a Kindle Fire for board games on the ole tablet? Thinking of getting one, but will probably go apple it isn't that great.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Texibus posted:

Any of you dudes use a Kindle Fire for board games on the ole tablet? Thinking of getting one, but will probably go apple it isn't that great.

Bleh. Sadly, the amazon store is kinda crap, you can't get general android apps from the google play store. I had a first gen one, and just got rid of it for a nexus 7.

Also ipad has a waaaaaay better selection and has Galaxy Trucker.

Poopy Palpy
Jun 10, 2000

Im da fwiggin Poopy Palpy XD

GrandpaPants posted:

I played Dominion a couple times and everyone who thinks it's this really deep game is wrong. Just buy silver and gold and you'll win every time.

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

I prefer Android devices in general, but I have an iPad Air that's pretty much just for board games. There's some solid Android games, but much more selection on iOS.

But in the end, both platforms have Calculords, so you really can't go wrong.

(Er.. yeah.. Fire... Sorry, I have no idea what's on the Amazon store).

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

GrandpaPants posted:

I don't think that point was ever denied by manatee. Looks like his Kemet metagame is just in some weird Cold War funk where everyone's scared.

Poopy Palpy posted:

I played Dominion a couple times and everyone who thinks it's this really deep game is wrong. Just buy silver and gold and you'll win every time.

I don't think manatee is trying to poo poo on the game. It's just an account about how it didn't work out so well for manatee's group.

I do hope that manatee will give it another go eventually. Maybe time will make people more adventurous.

Impermanent
Apr 1, 2010
what are the good android tablet games!

Fenn the Fool!
Oct 24, 2006
woohoo
The defender wins ties in Kemet, all other things equal why would you be affraid to leave your city if you're at full strength?

Dr. Lunchables
Dec 27, 2012

IRL DEBUFFED KOBOLD

Ticket to Ride, Carcassone, Neuroshima Hex, Kingdom Builder, San Juan port, Dominion port

Not even near half the decent games on iOS.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

Small world too.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
Wait, what Dominion port? Not that horrible web based thing or..?

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!
The only vaguely decent online version of dominion left is androminion as far as I know. The iOS version is Goko TTBOMK.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You don't make much, but you also don't spend much. You do have to be careful, hence the use for that shield card and preference for shields in general. You'll also spend a lot of time praying. You're recruiting recalled troops so that's usually a wash and your budget mainly goes to teleporting and the odd cheap upgrade. You're replacing losses less often than most because your troops aren't sticking around for wars of attrition. The total cost is maybe 2-6 prayer points a turn. The recruit action is your bottleneck rather than cost.

And as one person put it, it isn't a good strategy. It's slow. It's just a contagious one that can lead to a downward spiral in gameplay. A white strategy that sat at home for the first few turns could potentially beat it in the end provided it was passive enough and everyone else on the board agreed to stay home and not feed VPs. During a second game we played where everyone turtled, victory did go to a player who took the same basic idea of always recalling, ran for the wall-skipping tech and managed to make it a game where no one was safe in or out of their cities. Curiously what I was doing worked well against that too, since there was rarely anything in my city to attack and hanging out there was a great way to get a horde dropped on you.

And now we know we're into stdh.txt theorycrafting territory. If you don't have any units in your city, you are not advancing any strategy involving tiles because I control your level 4 pyramids. Also you're claiming to not have units in your city and to not be holding temples. Where are your troops?

Aleator
Jun 27, 2011

I am nothing but a blade, waiting for the perfect time to end an ancient warrior's pride.
Is there an SA thread about IOS ports of board games? I would of sworn there was one, but can't find it.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate
http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3548351

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Jedit posted:

And now we know we're into stdh.txt theorycrafting territory. If you don't have any units in your city, you are not advancing any strategy involving tiles because I control your level 4 pyramids. Also you're claiming to not have units in your city and to not be holding temples. Where are your troops?

My assumption is the space in front of the city, possibly giving the shifty eyes to anyone who's looking at a temple.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

thespaceinvader posted:

The only vaguely decent online version of dominion left is androminion as far as I know. The iOS version is Goko TTBOMK.

Androminion rules and I play it on my phone whenever I am waiting in line or on a bus or something. I've never actually played real Dominion before :v:

• Locked thread