Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

Thanks. My friend did give me some background on what he believes the position is about although it's largely a new position in a new-ish department. They did have 1 person work on in the capacity for a short while but it didn't work out.. so that kind of scares me a little that they might have a very high bar/expectations.

What he said the job would entail is reflective of the posting, but he did give some interesting background as to the why they are doing this. I think that could help me during the interview process.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

I am the queen of France.

slidebite posted:

My typical work attire is business casual, think dark or kahki dockers and a button up shirt which I think would also be reasonable for this job. Would that be adequate for an interview or should I go home and put on a suit & tie? I am leaning towards the later.

Always wear a suit unless specifically told otherwise.

I'm in a sort of similar position regarding interview attire, I have an interview coming up for a position in another department at my company so what I'm planning on doing is wearing suit pants and a button-up shirt for the work day so it looks like normal business casual so as not to arouse suspicions, and keep a suit jacket in my car that I'll run out and grab and put on before I head into my interview.

DelightFun
Dec 31, 2008
Well, update to the car-having question: I decided to ask offhandedly as I could in my response email about whether not having a car would matter and they told me "Yeah, it actually really would matter, I guess tell us if you end up getting one soon," so maybe I shouldn't have said anything, but on the other hand, at least this way I didn't take time off to go interview for something I wasn't gonna get. Hard to say. At any rate, the job wasn't the most convenient for me since it didn't pay very much for the area it's in, and it would have been high stress, so :shobon:

I'm in the running for another job, at least, although I haven't heard back one way or another about it in a few days since I took their online assessments. Has anyone taken one of those personality assessments? Has anyone here failed one of those personality assessments? I didn't get an earlier job and I'm not sure if that or the skills test was why, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I didn't sufficiently disguise my personality (i.e. if I had any other choice I'd never work an office job and my personality is not well suited to them, but I'm perfectly capable of nutting up and working hard anyway).

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

DelightFun posted:

I'm in the running for another job, at least, although I haven't heard back one way or another about it in a few days since I took their online assessments. Has anyone taken one of those personality assessments? Has anyone here failed one of those personality assessments? I didn't get an earlier job and I'm not sure if that or the skills test was why, but I have a sneaky suspicion that I didn't sufficiently disguise my personality (i.e. if I had any other choice I'd never work an office job and my personality is not well suited to them, but I'm perfectly capable of nutting up and working hard anyway).

What sort of office job has these? Please share, so i can never ever work there. I've only ever dealt with those things for lovely retail jobs, where its just "lie and tell them what you know they want to hear" (IE: "Yes, i will report coworkers for stealing office supplies!") Also you sound young, learn to deal with it, because office jobs are 95% of work out there. Hell, I run a TV station. Guess where I spend 90% of my day? In my office.

That said, since the station's closing for good, I'm likely going back to call center work. My liver is already cringing in fear, and I've only had two interviews for call center work so far, with another three scheduled. I was trying to stay in broadcast, but there just aren't any jobs available, and there's like, every major financial institution's call center here.

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
They aren't unusual, but as long as you have a general idea of what kind of personality they are looking for (like for a sales job, outgoing), it's pretty hard to fail.

DelightFun
Dec 31, 2008

AA is for Quitters posted:

What sort of office job has these? Please share, so i can never ever work there. I've only ever dealt with those things for lovely retail jobs, where its just "lie and tell them what you know they want to hear" (IE: "Yes, i will report coworkers for stealing office supplies!") Also you sound young, learn to deal with it, because office jobs are 95% of work out there. Hell, I run a TV station. Guess where I spend 90% of my day? In my office.

That said, since the station's closing for good, I'm likely going back to call center work. My liver is already cringing in fear, and I've only had two interviews for call center work so far, with another three scheduled. I was trying to stay in broadcast, but there just aren't any jobs available, and there's like, every major financial institution's call center here.

It's an insurance company, the one I interviewed with this summer that also had me take one was a non-tech position with a tech company. I wasn't aware they were so uncommon for desk jobs. Makes me wonder how I ran into two in a row like that. It's harder to lie since it's not as clear what they'd like to hear. Also, yeah, I am super young (recent grad) and I know I'm gonna have to do a lot of things I don't like, that was my point.

I actually have a call center job right now, and I don't hate it, but I know lots of people do. Sucks about your station :(

Lil Miss Clackamas
Jan 25, 2013

ich habe aids
What are the best practices for searching for a new job while still employed? My co-workers would obviously be my best references, but I don't want to alert anyone to my search. What's the most graceful, discrete way I can do this?

asur
Dec 28, 2012
Don't ask until a company actually asks you to provide references. Other than that your only option is to find different references.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

Hold the newsreader's nose squarely, waiter, or friendly milk will countermand my trousers.

DelightFun posted:

It's an insurance company, the one I interviewed with this summer that also had me take one was a non-tech position with a tech company. I wasn't aware they were so uncommon for desk jobs. Makes me wonder how I ran into two in a row like that. It's harder to lie since it's not as clear what they'd like to hear. Also, yeah, I am super young (recent grad) and I know I'm gonna have to do a lot of things I don't like, that was my point.

I actually have a call center job right now, and I don't hate it, but I know lots of people do. Sucks about your station :(

Just out of curiosity, what were you going to be doing for this insurance company? (I only ask, because 90% of the "insurance" jobs out there that you see advertised are 100% comission sales positions, which like any 100% comission job is never ever worth it)

I did call center work before, and i've got a good shot at landing the one i interviewed for today - but my god, i hate interviews where they literally just read questions of a sheet and write down answers. There were three of them, and they just rotated asking the questions off the sheet.

The guy they were interviewing after me did his resume in comic sans though, so...

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DelightFun posted:

Did you apply for this job or did they cold-call you?

When I was a recent grad looking for my first real job I had a bunch of "insurance companies" cold call me and they were always, ALWAYS scams.

DelightFun
Dec 31, 2008

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

Did you apply for this job or did they cold-call you?

When I was a recent grad looking for my first real job I had a bunch of "insurance companies" cold call me and they were always, ALWAYS scams.

Oh, I applied for it and it's legit, with a known good company that a family member has worked for and has a positive reputation. It's salaried and not commission, the phone interviewer described "a typical day in this position" when I asked and it didn't involve sales, and I'm getting a generally good vibe off of the process.

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

DelightFun posted:

Oh, I applied for it and it's legit, with a known good company that a family member has worked for and has a positive reputation. It's salaried and not commission, the phone interviewer described "a typical day in this position" when I asked and it didn't involve sales, and I'm getting a generally good vibe off of the process.

Okay that's good. More than a few people who are desperately looking for that first job out of college fall for the insurance selling scam.

DelightFun
Dec 31, 2008
Definitely. When I got recruited for the position with the tech company, I spent hours and hours googling the company just to be double super extra sure it wasn't a scam.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
I would like to request a resume review. I've had two recruiters review and edit my resumes before, but I have not been able to get an interview for months. I know my "skills" are basic and far from in demand, but I feel like there must be something wrong with my presentation. I have applied for a number of positions with the state and local government in various entry-level capacities, but for the most part my submissions have been for basic office help positions.

I made this quickly without regard to formatting, so please ignore that issue. My real resumes are always tailored to the position, but this one lists the basic duties and accomplishments (such as they are) I have. I would greatly appreciate it if I could have some feedback on how I could better present my past. On the real resumes, the education section is more explanatory and I cut/explain volunteering based on relevancy.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0lYJ96fqUSBaUwxcDRTd25LTzQ/view?usp=sharing

Is including my student leadership position a bad idea? I know that the OP says not to mention Microsoft Office stuff but most office positions I apply for single it out. Should I really cut it?

Xandu
Feb 19, 2006

It's hard to be humble when you're as great as I am.
Where is your gpa? You need more info on your volunteer work if you want to include it. Include any relevant student projects (assuming you graduated in past few years). I'd recommend this in place of stuff like retail jobs.

Finally, state and local government is its own, complicated thing in many cases. Are you applying at any non-profits or private sector jobs?

Microsoft office is good to mention since it sounds like you are applying to admin type jobs.

Hannot
Nov 29, 2007
Grimey Drawer
There have been a few jobs I applied for where I expanded on the volunteer activities, but, yeah, they are mostly office admin jobs so I’ve tried to emphasize the communication and organizational aspects of what I’ve done.

When you say “in place of” the retail, do you mean getting rid of it, or just limiting it to a bullet point or two? It’d leave a pretty big gap. I graduated in 2013, so I’m running out of “recent graduate” status; I was advised by a recruiter that mentioning too much about college projects and activities would look bad, but I know they can differ widely about that.

The student leadership position encompasses most of what I did in other organizations and a short internship. I had one significant paper (not published) that I have included when applying to research positions. I will try to make some other projects sound more impressive. I guess I am concerned that other potentially useful sections might be cut in favor of something they more than likely won't find interesting.

Re: non-profit -- Yes, I apply to these whenever I can. There aren’t very many openings advertised in my geographic area, but I have sent my resume to about three dozen. I meet a fair number of people on various boards, in local government, etc. through volunteer work and meetings I go to, but so far no luck – I guess it doesn’t help that most of these organizations are made up of a few paid board members and then all volunteers.

Most of the jobs I apply to are in the private sector.

edit: I'll add my GPA. 3.68, so not special, but I suppose it shows I'm not hiding something about it. And thank you for taking a look!

Hannot fucked around with this message at 19:44 on Nov 18, 2014

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
I have something of a strange question. What is the most effective way of lending credibility to job responsibilities that do not sync with the traditional timeline of experience?

Briefly, I abandoned a nascent technical career after college to tumble around Asia for a few years. Teaching English, then generic office job, then by virtue of equal parts luck and timing I found a position in an IP law firm that over a few years grew into being head of a team of 6, attending overseas conventions, managing an operating budget of several hundred thousand for my department, and handling promotion during a period when a publication ranked us as the fasted-growing firm in the country. I picked up an MBA along the way and have references for any of the above, but someone under 30 is not supposed to be a director at a midsize law firm, and certainly not in 2.5 years.

I'm heading back stateside soon and am thinking about how to approach the coming jobsearch. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a lateral move. There are stories of people leaving education off resumes so as to not overqualify themselves for jobs, and I almost feel as though I should do the same with my experience.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 14:05 on Nov 19, 2014

Rabbi Tupac
Jan 1, 2010

Heroes of the Storm
Goon Tournament Champion
I figure I should let you guys have a look at my resume by now. I've followed the thread a bit and have tried to fancy it up but I haven't been getting any real traction. I'm typically applying to entry level geology jobs at larger firms, gov jobs(tend to make those much longer/in depth), and then basic office stuff. Usually tailor each resume to each job but here's one for a generic geology job. I know I don't have much experience. I worked in college and first in a family to go to it so everyone basically just thought a job would sprout up out from the degree. I'm sure there's some dumb poo poo I have missed or can improve on in it.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1PeniPLfH7RjKfhWLg-s2BHN_HNDPgNr58_Ld67Jcxc0/edit?usp=sharing

It might be I just need more knowledge/experience in which case grad school ahoy.

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.

tirinal posted:

I have something of a strange question. What is the most effective way of lending credibility to job responsibilities that do not sync with the traditional timeline of experience?

Briefly, I abandoned a nascent technical career after college to tumble around Asia for a few years. Teaching English, then generic office job, then by virtue of equal parts luck and timing I found a position in an IP law firm that over a few years grew into being head of a team of 6, attending overseas conventions, managing an operating budget of several hundred thousand for my department, and handling promotion during a period when a publication ranked us as the fasted-growing firm in the country. I picked up an MBA along the way and have references for any of the above, but someone under 30 is not supposed to be a director at a midsize law firm, and certainly not in 2.5 years.

I'm heading back stateside soon and am thinking about how to approach the coming jobsearch. I'm not sure how realistic it is to expect a lateral move. There are stories of people leaving education off resumes so as to not overqualify themselves for jobs, and I almost feel as though I should do the same with my experience.

Sure, if you want to make it more difficult to find a job that pays less money with less responsibilities and have your potential employers find out that you lied (though in the "better" way?) on your resume, sounds like a great idea.

Unless you don't think you can hack it at that kind of job, you should be proud of your achievements. There's no "someone under 30 is not supposed to be a director at a midsize law firm" principle when it comes to hiring, not unless your name is "Jacobson" and you worked at "Jacobson and Jacobson". Point is, think about what your skills and abilities ARE, not what you think a generic person with your kind of experience SHOULD have.

Congratulations on finding yourself on the right track (and what a track it appears to be) after a rocky start. Be proud of yourself, you deserve it.

Pegged Lamb
Nov 5, 2007
Probation
Can't post for 3 years!
That's a rocky start?

totalnewbie
Nov 13, 2005

I was born and raised in China, lived in Japan, and now hold a US passport.

I am wrong in every way, all the damn time.

Ask me about my tattoos.
Well, the dropping out of ... oh, I had read that as abandoned/tumbled out of "technical college", but anyway, I'd include teaching English in Asia but I did the same thing so pot/kettle/black? But anyway, it certainly reads as if he/she was aimlessly wandering for a bit before finding a position in an IP law firm. Okay, not that rocky, but it's just an expression, leave me alone :(

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

So I have a question,

I just had my first interview in 21+ years and I think it went quite well. Seemed to get a lot positive feedback from the panel of 4 and their questions were by and large ones I prepared for. Only 1 guy was difficult to read, he was the Alpha in the room and didn't take a ton of notes, but I went well over the allotted time so I think I should take that as a good sign. The other 3 took tons of notes. Took 1-1/2 hours.

Question is this: I want to send a thank-you email to the people on the panel but I think there was one important question which the really didn't really ask much about... or at best just slightly touched on it.

Would it be bad form to mention something in the thank-you letter in 1 or 2 sentences about it or should I just ignore it at this point and let the chips fall as they will?

andale
Sep 14, 2009
I'd like to punch up the design/layout of my resume. Any suggestions for who I could hire to do this for me?

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

A year ago, there was an amazing video of the most awkward kid in the world having an online interview for a job. It was so SO awkward to the point where the person interviewing him began to make fun of him. I am trying to find that video but I cannot find it (wanting to show it to my high school students for what not to do). Anyone have a clue where to find it?

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .
Anyone particularly proud of their resume's layout/design? I'm looking to change jobs next year and my design feels stale. :smith:

Problem!
Jan 1, 2007

Science posted:

Anyone particularly proud of their resume's layout/design? I'm looking to change jobs next year and my design feels stale. :smith:

What industry? I'm a fan of my resume but I'm a designer so my resume would be out of place in a pile of applications for an accounting position for example.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Okay, I need a critique of my resume. It's worded really well, but I get the feeling there could be something done to make it better in some way.

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

Gothmog1065 posted:

Okay, I need a critique of my resume. It's worded really well, but I get the feeling there could be something done to make it better in some way.

You should probably take out your name and email; it's never good to have that poo poo floating around the internet for no reason. As for your resume, it should be one page long and include specific numbers whenever possible. Just from a quick look there are some pretty obvious problems:

"Streamlined sales and service work orders for better employee accountability." - explain how
"Physically cleaned computer hardware as necessary." - why would anybody care about this in anybody past low level techs
"Transfer customers to other departments as needed." - this is just pointless filler

You have way too many minor details listed under every job, condense your resume to the most important and impressive sounding parts of each job. Anybody who gets your resume will have his eyes glaze over halfway through the first page and probably just trash it.

edit: also, you change tenses to describe past jobs. I think that using present tense sounds terrible, but if you do decide to use it make sure you use it consistently.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
Should I assume that, say, in the one job I have listed twice, I will have done all my previous responsibilities plus the new ones?

e: I've trimmed much of my resume down and did some other stuff. How about now?

Gothmog1065 fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Nov 25, 2014

R2ICustomerSupport
Dec 12, 2004

Gothmog1065 posted:

Here is a very basic critique of the first page. I also hate to say this, but it's not worded well at all. And it's also sort of totally unclear what jobs you are looking for. You should probably either create a version more focused on the tech support stuff or a version more focused on the surveying stuff. The mix doesn't help you much.

Goon Approved Resume and CV Writing Service
http://bit.ly/ForumsCritique
My service will get you job interviews!

R2ICustomerSupport fucked around with this message at 15:37 on Nov 26, 2014

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
MAKE IT ONE PAGE BY REMOVING UNNECESSARY STUFF.

MAKE IT MORE DETAILED WIT MORE INFORMATION.

I'm going to go back to the 2 page deal I always aimed for in a resume. Let me rework it again. You got the one where I was cutting out 'unimportant' stuff and was probably too heavy handed. I went through and made some changes, so hopefully it's somewhat better now.

And I'm terrible about writing about myself which makes things hard sometimes.

I'll look up templates online and see about applying some of them. I thought this was about basic enough, but I guess I was wrong.

Dr Jankenstein
Aug 6, 2009

So, when applying to big companies for jobs in different departments (IT and AP/AR)...does it help or hurt to send resumes tailored to the position? I'm thinking help, but if they're both getting read by the same HR people, two resumes both highlighting two very different skillsets may not be preferred, is it?

I mean, with my current job I do both the IT stuff and the accounting stuff (and the editing stuff, and the...whatever stuff) and i have experience in both fields - the IT resume has another position I had in the past that was IT focused, the accounting one drops that position in favor of another one that was far more accounting focused. I mean, there's gaps in both that are completely non-relevant jobs (IE my stint managing a restaurant. I mention it in interviews when asked, and point out what it taught me, and how it's helped, and say that I felt that X or Y job was better for highlighting my strengths in that field compared to managing a quick service place) and I've got two versions of my resume, one that highlights the IT stuff with my current job, the other that highlights the accounting because if I included all my job duties for this position, this one job would take the entire page itself, so I cut it down to the stuff most relevant to the positions I'm applying for.

But there's a large finance company that's hiring both IT and AP/AR stuff, and I've applied for both positions with two different resumes, did I shoot myself in the foot?

seacat
Dec 9, 2006

AA is for Quitters posted:

So, when applying to big companies for jobs in different departments (IT and AP/AR)...does it help or hurt to send resumes tailored to the position? I'm thinking help, but if they're both getting read by the same HR people, two resumes both highlighting two very different skillsets may not be preferred, is it?

I mean, with my current job I do both the IT stuff and the accounting stuff (and the editing stuff, and the...whatever stuff) and i have experience in both fields - the IT resume has another position I had in the past that was IT focused, the accounting one drops that position in favor of another one that was far more accounting focused. I mean, there's gaps in both that are completely non-relevant jobs (IE my stint managing a restaurant. I mention it in interviews when asked, and point out what it taught me, and how it's helped, and say that I felt that X or Y job was better for highlighting my strengths in that field compared to managing a quick service place) and I've got two versions of my resume, one that highlights the IT stuff with my current job, the other that highlights the accounting because if I included all my job duties for this position, this one job would take the entire page itself, so I cut it down to the stuff most relevant to the positions I'm applying for.

But there's a large finance company that's hiring both IT and AP/AR stuff, and I've applied for both positions with two different resumes, did I shoot myself in the foot?

No, you did the right thing. Generally, the hiring manager (your future boss) decides to bring you in for an interview, not HR. HR may do some screening of people who don't meet hard requirements (common example of this is you don't have a degree or cert in a specific field). At that point they submit you to the hiring manager.

Of course this assumes a competent HR department.

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

So, I'm interviewing for a consulting position (yay) in my field and have had multiple phone interviews. They've all gone very well, but I just found it weird that they seemed to go top down. I interviewed with the partner of the practice I'm looking to work in, then a managing director, a director, and then a manager. No real issue or anything, just curious if that's a standard thing because it's the first time I've run into it.

bouncyman
Oct 27, 2009
I've done two sets of consulting interviews, but neither has been consistent. For the first company I did an interview with a senior consultant (the position I was interviewing for), then they flew me out to a national round where I interviewed with a partner and two senior managers. For the second company, I interviewed with two partners in person in the first round and a third partner over the phone later. So to answer your question; I have no idea what the standard is! The first company felt a lot more organized and had a much more structured interview process though.

Science
Jun 28, 2006
. . .

Aquatic Giraffe posted:

What industry? I'm a fan of my resume but I'm a designer so my resume would be out of place in a pile of applications for an accounting position for example.

IT, but I'm likely applying to some ~*~start ups~*~ so something more creative wouldn't be out of the question. I do love some of the stuff in the CC resources thread.

Chaotic Flame posted:

So, I'm interviewing for a consulting position (yay) in my field and have had multiple phone interviews. They've all gone very well, but I just found it weird that they seemed to go top down. I interviewed with the partner of the practice I'm looking to work in, then a managing director, a director, and then a manager. No real issue or anything, just curious if that's a standard thing because it's the first time I've run into it.

I'm not sure that type of consulting you're going in to, but in some fields that's perfectly normal, especially if you're doing cases towards the end. Good luck. :)

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

bouncyman posted:

I've done two sets of consulting interviews, but neither has been consistent. For the first company I did an interview with a senior consultant (the position I was interviewing for), then they flew me out to a national round where I interviewed with a partner and two senior managers. For the second company, I interviewed with two partners in person in the first round and a third partner over the phone later. So to answer your question; I have no idea what the standard is! The first company felt a lot more organized and had a much more structured interview process though.

Science posted:

I'm not sure that type of consulting you're going in to, but in some fields that's perfectly normal, especially if you're doing cases towards the end. Good luck. :)

Thank you both. For the record, it's workforce analytics consulting and I'm honestly not sure if there will be a case or not once I go for the in-person interviews (which should be next). I'm not coming from a consulting background or anything, so this is all pretty new to me. :shobon:

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

Science posted:

I'm too lazy to edit out my personal information out of my profile, but I used the moderncv package in LaTeX and was extremely happy with the result.
Some examples:
- the different pdf things here are all easy templates: http://www.ctan.org/tex-archive/macros/latex/contrib/moderncv/examples
- google image search: https://www.google.com/search?q=moderncv+latex+examples&tbm=isch

You can try making your own here: http://www.latextemplates.com/template/moderncv-cv-and-cover-letter
It will look very intimidating at first if you don't know LaTeX, but there are plenty of guides if you google a bit and you could just take a template of somebody else and change their information into yours. It's honestly very easy.

edit: just read you're IT, this should be very easy for you then.

Gothmog1065
May 14, 2009
LaTeX and ModernCV seem to be all the rage now (As a cursory google search shows, as well as Walh Hara), is it OK to send Resumes via .pdf? I thought .doc or other basic file formats were preferred?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chaotic Flame
Jun 1, 2009

So...

Gothmog1065 posted:

LaTeX and ModernCV seem to be all the rage now (As a cursory google search shows, as well as Walh Hara), is it OK to send Resumes via .pdf? I thought .doc or other basic file formats were preferred?

I've only ever sent my resume as a PDF and haven't had any issues so far and every application tracking system I've encountered has accepted PDF files for resumes, cover letters, etc.