Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
the fact hollismason deals with law fills me with honest dread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tequila Ranger
Sep 11, 2004

host after host after host ...

Rulebook Heavily posted:

Personally I love that moment when people realize that the skimmer rule means Monoliths can jink.

Nope, its part of the Skimmer rule: "Skimmers that are not also Heavy have the Jink special rule"

BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat

SRM posted:

Yo Bulbasaur, those Iron Warriors are looking dope as gently caress. I'm glad you're finally getting some headway on that squad, but batch painting units to high standards is a nightmare so I get why it's taking so long. These Ultramarines bikes are taking forever too, but the end's in sight after getting a good 6+ hours on them today.

Thanks brochacho. I don't know how you crank out so many awesome models on a regular basis. That must take some iron discipline.

This is a cool conversion, but wow does it remind me how comical the centurion models are. Those hands are so silly looking (but they do look great here)

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

serious gaylord posted:

If you interpret the law as you do GW rules I don't think i'd want you representing me.

Not a lawyer. Also, I'm generally right pretty much all of the time when it comes to how rules work.

What instrument do you all play cause this sure seems like a bandwagon.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
are you a Noctis parachute account?

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Are you?

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

Moola posted:

are you a Noctis parachute account?

NO DON'T

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
tank shocking is useless as gently caress anyway and if a loving raider tank shocks you just DoG and kill it

that being said i don't think 'may not move any further' is sufficient to convince me that the vehicle has moved combat speed (is combat speed higher for skimmers? i can't check)

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

serious gaylord posted:

If you interpret the law as you do GW rules I don't think i'd want you representing me.

:thurman:

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

tank shocking is useless as gently caress

That is objectively wrong.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

the fact hollismason deals with law fills me with honest dread

Moola is the only honest dread

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
Man, what the hell is this argument? Skimmers don't have any special protection against deep striking mishaps and if they did it'd be stated clearly in the rules and not in some roundabout way that involves deliberately misinterpreting things. I can't even begin to understand where this deep strike tank shock stuff came from. :psyduck:

H̘͉̮͍E̴ ̫̳̖͔̱C͖͉͈̬̦̼͝O̖̫̲̞M̯͠E͏͉͓S̫̖̻̹̘͜

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe
God drat guys. I actually found the conversation useful. Even if in the end I disagree with hollismason's argued conclusion, he's made a drat good argument the likes of which you might see at a FLGS game or tournament. I also learned some nuance of the rules.

He may argue devil's advocate points into the ground, but he's a far mile more useful than noctis ever was.

I'll take my armor in Citadel White, not that new White Scar bullshit, thank you very much.

Acebuckeye13
Nov 2, 2010

Against All Tyrants

Ultra Carp
It sort of reminds me of the (Very tenuous) argument made last year that heavy vehicles could fire Ordnance and all other weapons at normal BS. It's not a great argument (Though the argument for Skimmers not mishaping on enemy troops certainly seems more plausible, IMO), but it's one that I think should be FAQ'd at some point. Not that it ever will be, of course.

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011

Naramyth posted:

That is objectively wrong.

not everyone runs 17 metal boxes

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I want to branch out and I'm going to stick with it.
Anyone here going to be at the renegade gt in Minnesota this weekend? (Other than you Naramyth.)

I'm really looking forward to it. Though I don't agree with all of their rules decisions, the guys running it are really good guys and they've been working really hard to make it a good event.

They wont give me details, but they say there's s lot of variety in the lists and armies being used.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
What's the difference between a grand tournament and a just normal tournament, I've never understood why they call them that.

Esser-Z
Jun 3, 2012

Acebuckeye13 posted:

It sort of reminds me of the (Very tenuous) argument made last year that heavy vehicles could fire Ordnance and all other weapons at normal BS. It's not a great argument (Though the argument for Skimmers not mishaping on enemy troops certainly seems more plausible, IMO), but it's one that I think should be FAQ'd at some point. Not that it ever will be, of course.

That wasn't even last year! It was a few pages ago!

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

Safety Factor posted:

H̘͉̮͍E̴ ̫̳̖͔̱C͖͉͈̬̦̼͝O̖̫̲̞M̯͠E͏͉͓S̫̖̻̹̘͜

my kinda ape
Sep 15, 2008

Everything's gonna be A-OK
Oven Wrangler

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

It's pretty much free and if you're in range to tank shock you're in range to get shot/assaulted so you might as well try it, especially with cheaper vehicles. At the very worst you'll disrupt their movement and positioning.

Also under more creative interpretations you can potentially kill a shitload of enemy models with multiple vehicles tank shocking together.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Dark Eldar Coven are pretty good at tank shocking things, Put a Archon with Armour of Misery from the regular Dark Eldar detachment in a Squad of Coven with a vehicle with the Chain Snares, tank shock people for -3 LD or more if you have more than one formation.

You can straight up murderize non marine or non fearless troops if you take more than one Detachment or Formation from the Coven stuff and then use Archangel of Pain.

It's really annoying that the Torment Grenade Launchers and such work against Chaos Daemons.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 18:50 on Nov 17, 2014

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

Hollismason posted:

What's the difference between a grand tournament and a just normal tournament, I've never understood why they call them that.

Prize support and number of people who can enter. typically a gt will have more sponsors and lots more prizes. A standard tournament will probably be less than 20 people. GTs usually have over 50.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Yeah I really want to go to Las Vegas Open, that seems like a fun time. I was looking at it 250+ players this year and pretty cheap rooms. Plus table side beer service from what I understand. Plus it's in Las Vegas!

I'm going to Adepticon next year and have my Necromunda gang all ready to go. It's gonna be fun, plus I may try out some demos.

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Hollismason posted:

The easiest way is just to point out the following.

You have to declare

1. The direction it is going to move, via pivoting.

2. How far it is going to move

3. Then you have to move it in a straight line that distance.

So then that brings of the question.

1. Did it move in a straight line?

Nope, it literally just appeared. I guess you could get into some weird mathematically stuff about what is a straight line.

2. How far did you declare it moving? You could say 0, but it still technically is moving at combat speed.

3. You can't actually do three.

If you don't follow the rules for tank shocking are tank shocking? Tank shock clearly states that you have to move in a straight line. Is appearing from Deep Strike a straight line?

I like this. You really can't tank shock or ram even if deep striking is considered movement because of the exactness of tank shock and ram(which I am ambiguous on, but lean towards what the BAO/NOVA/Adepticon circuits do).

REAL MUSCLE MILK posted:

And? Tank shock lets you move your opponents models and forces morale checks in the movement phase. Those are excellent options. I've pushed two separate 20 man guardian blocks off the table (one including Eldrad) via tank shock in the last games of two tournaments. I've used Tank Shock to blast past a cultist screen into someones back field. It's A Good Mechanic and a great thing to have in your back pocket that can win games.

Master Twig posted:

Anyone here going to be at the renegade gt in Minnesota this weekend? (Other than you Naramyth.)

I'm really looking forward to it. Though I don't agree with all of their rules decisions, the guys running it are really good guys and they've been working really hard to make it a good event.

They wont give me details, but they say there's s lot of variety in the lists and armies being used.

:getin:

And a GT is generally a two day event.

Babe Magnet
Jun 2, 2008

The one time I ever used Tank Shock I felt like a huge badass, because I punched a hole in a line of Dark Eldar somethings and then began to move my Guardsmen past them to all the goodies my opponent was hiding.

They didn't get to move far enough. Next turn, they got converged upon and slaughtered to the man in one combat.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
Riptides are actually vulnerable to tank shock. Depending on the lay out of the Riptide, since they're not fearless you can tank shock them which I find to be particularly hilarious any time it happens, because they either get to make that Death or Glory or run away.

Tank shocking is a good tactic in certain situations and against specific units.

BuffaloChicken
May 18, 2008

WhiteOutMouse posted:

I don't remember if buffalochicken posts in the mini painting thread so I'll leave this here.

Just saw these on the 'eavier metal Facebook group.

I thought they were neat and I know buffalochicken was working on some squats and promised us some more pics soon. This might get him working again.
Thanks for the shout-out! I was going to hold off on posting more WIPs since there hasn't been much progress, but I guess i can share the latest drafts before they get painted. I'm still waiting on getting more PayPal money so I can buy the 40mm bases and grenade bits I need to complete these.

My Exo-Armour Squats aren't as beefy as the Scrunturions above, but I think they're about right to easily pass as Terminators. Here's the GK Terminator squad, followed by the GK Terminator Librarian.

Also have an Inquisitor to lead my detachment for that army, now that they're split from Grey Knights. I wanted a pretty bare-bones Inquisitor with Conversion Beamer to sit with my Jokaero and bolter henchmen, but I didn't know how to make a big weapon like a beamer on my tiny dwarf. Decided to run my Squat cannon, previously just an objective, as a marker alongside the tiny guy as his weapon.

The Inquisitor:

His Conversion Beamer (paint in progress):

And on a scrunt-less note, with the new Anphelion Project edition, I needed to make a Malanthrope. I had some big Nurgle bug wings in my bitz box and decided to put them to use, instead of the floating balloon-sacs on the official model. I still have some nasty gassy sacs and tubes on the back to give the shrouded effect to nearby Tyranids, but I'll take another photo of that part when the greenstuffing is done.

Huge major thanks to TheChirurgeon for donating the Tyrant model!

Also, my brother finally finished up the Squiggoth I made him. Started off as a toy elephant and some bits:

And turned into this.

Will get a game in with it in early December, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

BuffaloChicken fucked around with this message at 19:52 on Nov 17, 2014

A 50S RAYGUN
Aug 22, 2011
Glad to see that Hive Tyrant ended up at a worthy final destination, that's an awesome conversion.

jeroti
Feb 26, 2009

Fear not the darkness, fear that which the darkness hides.
I've got a two day event coming up this weekend at my local GW store. On Saturday it's 4 games with different scenarios DE vs Imperial each game all games on Saturday are 1500pts. Sunday is a 4 v 4 Apoc game same Imperial and DE teams as Saturday, but this time the lists are 1750. I'm on the DE side, but I haven't played them in a very long time. I'm pretty of limited on my models, but I'd like some list advice.

Archon
-Huskblade
-Phantasm Grenade Launcher
-Plasma Grenades
-Shadow field
-Splinter Pistol
-The Armour of Misery

Incubi
-3x Incubi
-Klaivex
Venom
-Flickerfield
-Splinter Cannonx2

Kabalite Warriors
10x Kabalite Warrior
-Splinter cannon
-Blaster
Raider
-Dark Lance
-Splinter Racks

Kabalite Warriors
10x Kabalite Warrior
-Splinter cannon
-Blaster
Raider
-Dark Lance
-Splinter Racks

Razorwing Jetfighter
-Dark Lancex2
-4x Monoscythe Missile
-Splinter Cannon

Reavers
3x Reaver
-Heat lance

Scourges
5x Scourge
-4x Haywire blaster

Ravager
-Dark Lance x3

Ravager
-Dark Lance x3

Talos
-Chain-Flails
-Twin-Linked Haywire Blaster

What I have so far comes to 1393pts. I'm sure it's not that great of a list which is why I'd like some advice. What I have that's not in the list are some wyches, a haemonculus, a squad of 5 wracks, a couple succubus, about 10 hellions, 3-4 old unpainted mandrakes and 4-5 more jetbikes I also have about 20 more warriors as well. I might be able to dig up another raider I can't remember if I have 2 or 3 in total I have two venoms, but one isn't painted. I don't have any Eldar that I could ally in, but I do have an aegis defense line. Other armies I could use as allies are a knight(that I might be allowed to ally in) and necrons.

I have no idea what the imperial side looks like for composition it could be all space marines, all guard or a mix. I'm not sure how I can beef up the list for the apoc game either. I was thinking of taking the chaos doomsday device as a joke since I don't really think I can make a competitive apoc list with what I have. I know that there are several players on the imperial team that own titans and other super heavies, so I'm thinking the apoc game will be extremely one sided. The only saving grace in the apoc game is DE will get first turn.

jeroti fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Nov 17, 2014

Slimnoid
Sep 6, 2012

Does that mean I don't get the job?

jeroti posted:

I was thinking of taking the chaos doomsday device as a joke

ALWAYS take the Doomsday device.

In fact, take three.

PierreTheMime
Dec 9, 2004

Hero of hormagaunts everywhere!
Buglord
Holy poo poo Tyrannocytes are ridiculously tall. Taller than a Knight.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

PierreTheMime posted:

Holy poo poo Tyrannocytes are ridiculously tall. Taller than a Knight.

Well something that can fit a tyrannofex is going to have to be rather large now isn't it?

I'm reminded of the conversation on here recently about size creep on Tyranid MCs.

Lord Twisted
Apr 3, 2010

In the Emperor's name, let none survive.

Babe Magnet posted:

The one time I ever used Tank Shock I felt like a huge badass, because I punched a hole in a line of Dark Eldar somethings and then began to move my Guardsmen past them to all the goodies my opponent was hiding.

They didn't get to move far enough. Next turn, they got converged upon and slaughtered to the man in one combat.

Someone needs to make a crying guardsmen gif

So 40k it hurts.

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010

Master Twig posted:

Well something that can fit a tyrannofex is going to have to be rather large now isn't it?

I'm reminded of the conversation on here recently about size creep on Tyranid MCs.

Doesn't help that the drat thing is 'floating' on those long tentacles it's got.

Speaking of, I'm kind of surprised the thing doesn't have Lasher Tendrils like the old Mycetic Spore did.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006

BuffaloChicken posted:

Thanks for the shout-out! I was going to hold off on posting more WIPs since there hasn't been much progress, but I guess i can share the latest drafts before they get painted. I'm still waiting on getting more PayPal money so I can buy the 40mm bases and grenade bits I need to complete these.

My Exo-Armour Squats aren't as beefy as the Scrunturions above, but I think they're about right to easily pass as Terminators. Here's the GK Terminator squad, followed by the GK Terminator Librarian.

Also have an Inquisitor to lead my detachment for that army, now that they're split from Grey Knights. I wanted a pretty bare-bones Inquisitor with Conversion Beamer to sit with my Jokaero and bolter henchmen, but I didn't know how to make a big weapon like a beamer on my tiny dwarf. Decided to run my Squat cannon, previously just an objective, as a marker alongside the tiny guy as his weapon.

The Inquisitor:

His Conversion Beamer (paint in progress):

And on a scrunt-less note, with the new Anphelion Project edition, I needed to make a Malanthrope. I had some big Nurgle bug wings in my bitz box and decided to put them to use, instead of the floating balloon-sacs on the official model. I still have some nasty gassy sacs and tubes on the back to give the shrouded effect to nearby Tyranids, but I'll take another photo of that part when the greenstuffing is done.

Huge major thanks to TheChirurgeon for donating the Tyrant model!

Also, my brother finally finished up the Squiggoth I made him. Started off as a toy elephant and some bits:

And turned into this.

Will get a game in with it in early December, and I'm looking forward to seeing it in action!

all this poo poo is loving awesome

you are a rad dude

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

It's funny how they brought back mycetic spores but all the people who wanted to use mycetic spores were probably already using ghetto bootleg spore models, so they needed to change the size profile and weapon loadout significantly just to make you buy new spores. This is 100% the reasoning for why the mycetic spores are now gigantic deathspitter towers that walk around.

I am also convinced that this is why flash gitz can't take their [once mandatory] heavy armor anymore. They change the rules just enough that your converted models don't work anymore. It reeks of greed and bullshit.

Also the models are loving hideous. A spore pod should look like a god-damned broken tyranid egg stuck into the ground, not some gigantic walking tentacle pod with an impossible center of gravity and no visible points of egress.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 17, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
The new spore is 100% a gently caress you to all the knock off models.

Master Twig
Oct 25, 2007

I know. The tyrannocite release is total bullshit and an insult to the Tyranid player base.

...I bought three.

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

serious gaylord posted:

The new spore is 100% a gently caress you to all the knock off models.

Which would be okay with me if it weren't so stupid looking.

there is LITERALLY NO EXIT. Does the carnifex pop out the little spore hole in the top? Does he burst from disgusting bulge out the bottom? If so, why does the model not have a big gaping hole in it? It's not like people are gonna drop these things and just leave the squad inside. Why is no one at GW asking these questions?

It's just so god-damned shameless and transparent. They deserve to lose the money because they made a unit without a model. If you wanted to sell a model you should have made one in the first place. They're retconning their own poo poo, and making it way stupider, to make up for their own mistake. Cutting off their nodes to cyte their face.

They should know better. Price-hike and ruin my codex as much as you want, It's all this Astra Militarum "dont hit me i'll hit me" bullshit that really makes me want to quit the hobby.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:16 on Nov 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ignite Memories
Feb 27, 2005

I posit that there is literally no point in the tyrannocyte's career, no single instant in time EVER, where it is that far off the ground and all of the tentacles look like that. If it's going fast, the tentacles should look like they're affected by the speed of planetfall! If it's falling slow enough for the tentacles to be lazily writhing like that, it's not going to split open when it hits the ground! If the model is supposed to have stood back up to walk around spitting on things, it shouldn't have an intact belly. I have an extremely vivid imagination, and there is absolutely not one single solitary moment that the tyrannocyte would look like this.

Ignite Memories fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Nov 17, 2014

• Locked thread