Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

kitten smoothie posted:

The iPad 2 will take iOS 8; the Mini 1 is still basically an iPad 2 under the hood and they're still selling it brand new.

His point was even though an iPad 2 will take iOS 8, the "hey Siri" feature is not enabled. Which isn't entirely true, because Siri doesn't even exist on iPad 2, so it's not really a matter of enabling or disabling a new iOS 8 feature. iPad 3 was the first iPad with Siri if I recall correctly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Illusive Man
Mar 27, 2008

~savior of yoomanity~

Choadmaster posted:

But really, don't buy an iPad 2. iPad 3s and even iPad Airs are cheap in the refurb store.

Unless you have to have the retina screen at the absolute cheapest price, don't get a 3 and just spend a little extra for a refurbed 4. The A5 chips are just too old at this point.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

I don't care how snug they fit, you're nuts!

Space Racist posted:

Unless you have to have the retina screen at the absolute cheapest price, don't get a 3 and just spend a little extra for a refurbed 4. The A5 chips are just too old at this point.

Ah yes, i forgot there was even a 4 between the 3 and the Air. Damned Apple, releasing a new iPad just 5 months after I bought mine!!

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!

Choadmaster posted:

Ah yes, i forgot there was even a 4 between the 3 and the Air. Damned Apple, releasing a new iPad just 5 months after I bought mine!!

I think you mean between The New iPad and the Air. :colbert:

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

It was never called The New iPad, it was just numberless "iPad", and it was (at the time) new. That was of course stupid, but not as stupid as the internet making a name out of a definite article and an adjective.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
Nah, it was the new iPad. Even if you think it technically doesn't count for some reason, it was in fact the new iPad because that's the only thing that distinguished it in marketing materials and it's entertaining to call it that when it barely runs the current OS now.

Erwin
Feb 17, 2006

Choadmaster posted:

It was never called The New iPad, it was just numberless "iPad", and it was (at the time) new. That was of course stupid, but not as stupid as the internet making a name out of a definite article and an adjective.
It was definitely called "The new iPad."

https://web.archive.org/web/20120322160753/http://www.apple.com/

dutchbstrd
Apr 28, 2004
Think for Yourself, Question Authority.
It goes

iPad
iPad 2
The New iPad
iPad (4th Generation)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

Oct 15, 2012

Vault Dweller
"Can I purchase the new iPad, please"

Store clerk hands him a two year old device

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

dutchbstrd posted:

It goes

iPad
iPad 2
The New iPad
iPad (4th Generation)
iPad Air
iPad Air 2

No, iPad 3 was "iPad with retina", iPad 4 was "The New iPad"

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

Bottom Liner posted:

iPad 3 was definitely "The New iPad."

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
Is there any consensus on the best iPad stylus at the moment? Preferably with a fine-ish point, no disc like some Adonit ones have

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe

101 posted:

"Can I purchase the new iPad, please"

Store clerk hands him a two year old device

I suspect that most store clerks would ask for clarification in this situation.

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

Once again, the adjective in the marketing materials is descriptive, it is not part of the name. If the lowercase "new" isn't obvious enough, an Apple spokesman said right off the bat "it's just iPad" and Apple refers to it all over the place as "iPad" (or since the later models have been released, "iPad (third generation)" where the parenthetical is, again, descriptive).

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Bottom Liner posted:

You have those backwards.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

Once again, the adjective in the marketing materials is descriptive, it is not part of the name. If the lowercase "new" isn't obvious enough, an Apple spokesman said right off the bat "it's just iPad" and Apple refers to it all over the place as "iPad" (or since the later models have been released, "iPad (third generation)" where the parenthetical is, again, descriptive).

Dude you're at best incredibly pedantic

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

fleshweasel posted:

I would say his pedantry is quite credible. What is incredible is 15 posts in a row arguing about this poo poo.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
16 posts :v:. I took this screenshot a while back on Apple's recycling/trade in page:

(It's no longer there though, it goes to a third party site with "iPad 3" and "iPad 4” now)

Anyway 8.1.1 is out and fixes poo poo. DNS lookups no longer take a mysteriously long time and Safari's share sheet seems to remember custom ordering :toot:

BGrifter
Mar 16, 2007

Winner of Something Awful PS5 thread's Posting Excellence Award June 2022

Congratulations!
Wow, it was a throwaway joke. Wasn't looking to start a huge argument over what Apple called the device at the time. :psyduck:

If anybody really cares I'm sure the keynote when they announced it is still available somewhere.

ZombieParts
Jul 18, 2009

ASK ME ABOUT VISITING PROSTITUTES IN CHINA AND FEELING NO SHAME. MY FRIEND IS SERIOUSLY THE (PATHETIC) YODA OF PAYING WOMEN TO TOUCH HIS (AND MY) DICK. THEY WOULDN'T DO IT OTHERWISE.

BGrifter posted:

Wow, it was a throwaway joke. Wasn't looking to start a huge argument over what Apple called the device at the time. :psyduck:

If anybody really cares I'm sure the keynote when they announced it is still available somewhere.

Hey you don't get to call off the name hunt, now.

I think it's pretty funny people can't even remember the poo poo was called the "new iPad" lol

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005
centrism is a hell of a drug

More importantly, why did it exist? Why did Apple decide to release a new tablet that spring and then another device less than 250 days later? Why was that device outlived for years by IPad 2? So many strange decisions around that product.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

Ogmius815 posted:

More importantly, why did it exist?
Pressure to get a Retina iPad to market, even if it had a gimped SoC and necessitated a gigantic battery.

Ogmius815 posted:

Why did Apple decide to release a new tablet that spring and then another device less than 250 days later?
They couldn't have the flagship iPad still use 30-pin dock connector when Lightning had just launched with the iPhone 5, and SoC improvements were actually rather dramatic in that short period.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Ogmius815 posted:

More importantly, why did it exist? Why did Apple decide to release a new tablet that spring and then another device less than 250 days later? Why was that device outlived for years by IPad 2? So many strange decisions around that product.

iPads were on a yearly update cycle with new ones coming in the Spring. A6X or Lightning or both weren't ready in time for the March 2012 upgrade, and you can't let a growth product like iPads miss an update, so the A5X iPad gets launched in March 2012.

Apple decided to move iPads to Fall updates instead of Spring updates. In order to do a Spring to Fall transition, your transitional update has to be either 6 months or 18 months after your very last Spring update. A6X and Lightning are ready to go in Fall of 2012, so that's when the 4th generation iPad launched.

The iPad 2 lasted as long as it did because it was really cheap to make and people were still paying insane margins to buy it.

mulls fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Nov 18, 2014

Choadmaster
Oct 7, 2004

fleshweasel posted:

Nah, just really sick of it. Either it's a "joke," in which case it's old and tired, or its an incorrect correction. I get quite tired of hearing "You mean The New iPad (tm) :smug:" every time I say a thing about my iPad. It's like "so is your 6 bent yet? Ha ha ha" except, you know, three loving years later.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Choadmaster posted:

Nah, just really sick of it. Either it's a "joke," in which case it's old and tired, or its an incorrect correction. I get quite tired of hearing "You mean The New iPad (tm) :smug:" every time I say a thing about my iPad. It's like "so is your 6 bent yet? Ha ha ha" except, you know, three loving years later.

I saw a The new iPad the other day. It was pretty slow.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

Choadmaster posted:

I mean it is pretty funny that the iPad that got branded "the new iPad" turned out to be the shortest lived product in the line by far. It's also kind of a dumb thing in the first place. Apple is super weird about product names.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

I thought The New iPad was a great name since that's how they roll out new Macs. There's no MacBook Air 3GS. The successor to the MacBook Air is called the MacBook Air.

The big mistake was retconning the iPad mini with Retina Display and saying actually it's the iPad mini 2.

spaced ninja
Apr 10, 2009

Toilet Rascal

TheQat posted:

Is there any consensus on the best iPad stylus at the moment? Preferably with a fine-ish point, no disc like some Adonit ones have

I have the adonit pixel point touch and it sucks. It's loud on the screen, and has a weird parallax effect where the ink never ends up where I want it unless i'm holding it at some predefined angle to the screen. I have since switched back to my wacom bamboo stylus (squishy tip one).

I've been meaning to check out the new wacom stylus as I hear they have some stuff that combats the parallax effect somewhat but just can't justify another 100 bucks on a new stylus.

brap
Aug 23, 2004

Grimey Drawer
iPad styluses seem painful. I am giving up for now on trying to find one that's any good. However, I picked up a Smart Cover and I find that it works great.

Ogmius815
Aug 25, 2005

mulls posted:

I thought The New iPad was a great name since that's how they roll out new Macs. There's no MacBook Air 3GS. The successor to the MacBook Air is called the MacBook Air.

The big mistake was retconning the iPad mini with Retina Display and saying actually it's the iPad mini 2.

This would be fine if Apple would just be consistent about it. It seems like the wanted to move the iPad naming scheme in that direction with the third and forth iPads but changed their mind this year by calling the new tablets iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3.

I bought the smart case and I hate it. I wish I'd just bough the Smart Cover. It was pretty expensive too. I was just fooled at the time into not noticing that because I also bought a $600 tablet.

Ogmius815 fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Xenomorph
Jun 13, 2001

mulls posted:

NFC stands for near field communications. The "NFC hardware" is co-extensive with the "NFC antenna." If you don't have an antenna to communicate with another NFC antenna, you don't have NFC anything.

Just please don't tell people that iPads have anything related to NFC because they'll be confused and sad after they buy an iPad.

Well, I wouldn't say that they don't have anything NFC related, since the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 both contain the same NXP 65V10 NFC module that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have. Besides all having the same NFC module, all four devices are the only current hardware that is listed as supporting Apple Pay.
So while they may not have any actual "near-field communications" capability right now, they still have the NFC-something in them (Secure Element), and they still support at least one form of Apple Pay that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus support.

The only experience I've had with Apple Pay is using it on my iPad Air 2.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I stand corrected for my involvement in the NFC derail. Upon doing more reading I see the secure element for payments is a JavaCard based system.

I assumed the payment secure element was part and parcel of the Secure Enclave in the A7/A8, but apparently not, that's just where Touch ID lives. There is some interaction between the secure element and secure enclave to authorize release of payment info for transactions upon Touch ID auth.

The payment networks use JavaCard applets installed to the secure element to facilitate payments. So if you need a secure element that can run their JavaCard code, and you're already buying the NFC controllers at Apple scale anyway, then problem solved. Just don't wire it up to an antenna. Makes sense.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

syndex posted:

I have the adonit pixel point touch and it sucks. It's loud on the screen, and has a weird parallax effect where the ink never ends up where I want it unless i'm holding it at some predefined angle to the screen. I have since switched back to my wacom bamboo stylus (squishy tip one).

I've been meaning to check out the new wacom stylus as I hear they have some stuff that combats the parallax effect somewhat but just can't justify another 100 bucks on a new stylus.
Which iPad do you have? I'm wondering if it's any better on the Air 2 cause the laminated screen with image closer to the surface should theoretically reduce the parallax effect I would think.

dirtyfrog
Apr 15, 2003

The Fantastic Fapping Frog
How is 8.1.1 on the iPad 2? My mum is currently on 7, is it worth updating?

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

dirtyfrog posted:

Don't do it. It made my iPad 2 practically useless.

mulls
Jul 30, 2013

Xenomorph posted:

Well, I wouldn't say that they don't have anything NFC related, since the iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 both contain the same NXP 65V10 NFC module that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus have. Besides all having the same NFC module, all four devices are the only current hardware that is listed as supporting Apple Pay.
So while they may not have any actual "near-field communications" capability right now, they still have the NFC-something in them (Secure Element), and they still support at least one form of Apple Pay that the iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus support.

The only experience I've had with Apple Pay is using it on my iPad Air 2.

Wow, well I guess I'm wrong there.

japtor
Oct 28, 2005

dirtyfrog posted:

Seems fine on an old one I have but it was on top a ~7.1 that I cleared/reset a few days beforehand.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮
Every time I try to activate my iPad to my existing AT&T account on my iPad, it will only let me enter either my AT&T passcode or my SSN, but not both. I need both to activate it, but every time I click on the other, the information I just entered is deleted.

e.pilot
Nov 20, 2011

sometimes maybe good
sometimes maybe shit

CaptainYesterday posted:

Every time I try to activate my iPad to my existing AT&T account on my iPad, it will only let me enter either my AT&T passcode or my SSN, but not both. I need both to activate it, but every time I click on the other, the information I just entered is deleted.

AT&T just recently changed the requirements for their password, you have to log in to their website and change it to a 4-8 digit pin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Got my iPad Air 2 yesterday, but trying to set Gmail up is a pain. I keep hitting the security trap even though it really shouldn't. I've tried restarting, verifying the account through iOS Safari, even deleting and recreating the mail account. It's really annoying and I can't get it to properly work. :smith: