Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe

Throatwarbler posted:

Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6tKvEy6t0&t=43s

Now that this and the Hellcat Charger/Challenger exist, why do other carmakers even make cars anymore? Might as well wrap it up now.

I'd take a GT350 or Z28 over any of the Hellcat's any day of the week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ehnus
Apr 16, 2003

Now you're thinking with portals!
Wow, they actually went with a flat-plane V8. Awesome.

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

Throatwarbler posted:

Now that this and the Hellcat Charger/Challenger exist, why do other carmakers even make cars anymore? Might as well wrap it up now.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Ferrari Mustang, how dreamy. :allears:

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22

dissss posted:

That picture horrifies me - 80s Nissan were enough of a death trap with a full B pillar let alone without

I am glad I'm not the only person who winced at that picture.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.
We're meant to be getting official imports of the Mustang to the UK from 2015, too. Though both the pricing and insurance/running costs will be totally hosed.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

InitialDave posted:

We're meant to be getting official imports of the Mustang to the UK from 2015, too. Though both the pricing and insurance/running costs will be totally hosed.

Are gas prices falling there as well? I'm betting that $2.50 gasoline is going to decrease the impact of the I4 Mustang, as fuel economy is just not a priority at the moment.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

Twerk from Home posted:

Are gas prices falling there as well? I'm betting that $2.50 gasoline is going to decrease the impact of the I4 Mustang, as fuel economy is just not a priority at the moment.
Yes, prices have been dropping here. We're now down to $7.80 for a US gallon.

Fo3
Feb 14, 2004

RAAAAARGH!!!! GIFT CARDS ARE FUCKING RETARDED!!!!

(I need a hug)

InitialDave posted:

We're getting the mustang in Australia too. Only after the falcon is dead which means a year of "$100k limited edition falcons, last ever guys buy this or you miss out" deals.
But their passing also means the end of the territory and the ute too, which is sad.
Ford have the ranger already for a type of heavy commercial not quite a passenger car feel vehicle (jeeze someone should invent a vehicle that could carry loads in a back tray but still ride like a sedan soon...)
I think there's some sort of SUV based on it to replace the territory.
Already have the mondeo/fusion, but the're going to bring in the mustang after the falcon has gone for a RWD car.

Right now we have the 2L ecoboost for the falcon. I wonder if that was a complete waste of time along with the ecoLPI 6cyl 4L or whether the 2L was from a euro ford? Doesn't the mustang come with a ecoboost 2.3L 4 cyl?
I'm so soured on the whole thing already.

E: Might just buy s/h g6e turbos for the rest of my life, just because I can.
Replace the rear diff with a LSD from a xr6t, and do an after market LPG injection, and keep buying them until they are claimed by the rust god, petrol becomes illegal, or I die. What ever comes first.
:australia:

Fo3 fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Nov 17, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

ehnus posted:

Wow, they actually went with a flat-plane V8. Awesome.

Imagine what that engine could do in a 3000lb GT40 revival.

sudo rm -rf
Aug 2, 2011

$ mv fullcommunism.sh
/america
$ cd /america
$ ./fullcommunism.sh

I remember a bunch of people claiming that nuerburgring video didn't sound like a flat-crank at all. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。

sudo rm -rf posted:

I remember a bunch of people claiming that nuerburgring video didn't sound like a flat-crank at all. WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW?

I remembered this over lunch. So good.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

sudo rm -rf posted:

Yeah, exactly. A 5.2L flat plane is a feat of modern engineering.

gently caress you, Ferrari :smug::911::smug:

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

I was one of the naysayers, and I guess I will eat my words. Can't wait to see some proper track vids (not Nurburgring spy shots).

Wonder ifwhen Top Gear will review it, now that it's being properly sold in Europe.

Comrade Flynn
Jun 1, 2003

drat. I was set on getting a Hellcat but the GT 350 sounds like it's going to be a lot more fun.

EDIT: and I bet it will sound ABSURD with an exhaust.

Comrade Flynn fucked around with this message at 21:42 on Nov 17, 2014

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

I was one of the naysayers, and I guess I will eat my words. Can't wait to see some proper track vids (not Nurburgring spy shots).

Wonder ifwhen Top Gear will review it, now that it's being properly sold in Europe.

Top gear is going to drive it in stop and go traffic and say the gas mileage sucks and it can't turn.

I'm more interested in what chris harris or henry catchpole has to say about it.

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
"Terrible quality, the interior is rubbish, oxcart suspension, etc etc"

*buys two*

Keyser_Soze
May 5, 2009

Pillbug
http://jalopnik.com/what-is-a-flat-plane-crank-and-why-is-it-so-loud-an-ex-1659688239

Fender Anarchist
May 20, 2009

Fender Anarchist

Actually you know what I'd like to see? Roadkill car reviews. They already did something like it with the Subaru vid, I'd like to see them reviewing, in their fashion, modern performance cars.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Have any other Fords used magnetic shocks before? That stood out to me too.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Fucknag posted:

Actually you know what I'd like to see? Roadkill car reviews. They already did something like it with the Subaru vid, I'd like to see them reviewing, in their fashion, modern performance cars.

Neither of them saw the point of the aventador. I can't imagine either of them would be interested in any modern car enough to do real reviews of it. They've also got fairly packed schedules doing what they're good at.

Tacier
Jul 22, 2003

This might be a dumb question, but regarding the GT350, what is the advantage of a naturally aspirated engine that redlines at 8k RPM over an equally powerful turbocharged one that only goes to 6k but hits the peak of its torque curve earlier?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

Tacier posted:

This might be a dumb question, but regarding the GT350, what is the advantage of a naturally aspirated engine that redlines at 8k RPM over an equally powerful turbocharged one that only goes to 6k but hits the peak of its torque curve earlier?

The quickness that it can cycle that engine through the revs and how it relates to each individual gear. Flat plane NA engines are really good at bouncing up and down the scale, and any power added engine is going to have a particular range in the powerband where it's happy. If you can spin the revs faster you can find that sweet spot better in each gear.

That's also ignoring packaging concerns, heat dissipation, etc.

e- Also, peak torque in this particular car isn't as important as horsepower, which is why it's high revving with a higher horsepower number than torque. Most pony or muscle car V8's have higher torque than horsepower, this is reversed since the performance it's looking for is at higher rpm's to maintain momentum on a road course.

Seizure Meat fucked around with this message at 22:23 on Nov 17, 2014

MrYenko
Jun 18, 2012

#2 isn't ALWAYS bad...

Tacier posted:

In a race car, the NA engine is going to be simpler, lighter, and easier to package. Might take a bit more R&D to keep the rotating assembly and valve train alive, but it's probably comparable to building a reliable turbocharged package. You might also be barred from FI in your race class.

In a production street car, the NA engine is going to be simpler, lighter, and easier to package. Literally everything else is going to be harder. Emissions, NVH, fuel economy, reliability, are all going to be easier to deal with in a modern turbo package.

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

I was a naysayer about the GT350, colour me wrong.

That said, I still don't believe that the advantages of the flat-crank engine outweigh the drawbacks...with durability being chief among them. I hope GT350 owners enjoy rebuilding their engines every so often.

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002

MrChips posted:

That said, I still don't believe that the advantages of the flat-crank engine outweigh the drawbacks...with durability being chief among them. I hope GT350 owners enjoy rebuilding their engines every so often.

Don't worry, most of them would have be garage garage queens anyway

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrChips posted:

All of Ferrari's V8's have been flat plane, I'd like to think that there's some reason for that.

If anything, it's worth it for the noise alone.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
Flat plane V8s aren't any less reliable? They just have more vibrations and worse NVH, I guess whatever other bits they use to reduce the vibration like mass dampeners and engine mounts might add complexity but you don't need to rebuild the engine for that. Also word on the street (Motortrend) is that Ford has added some kind of patented guibo specifically to address the issue.

Fun Fact: Passat W8s were flat plane(with balance shafts like an I4), and nothing ever goes wrong with tho

Christobevii3
Jul 3, 2006
Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show? Is it worth going? I'm considering a weekend trip to check it out since my gf is looking at a new car in the next year or so.

Suburban Dad
Jan 10, 2007

Well what's attached to a leash that it made itself?
The punchline is the way that you've been fuckin' yourself

Finally they make a seemingly legitimate Z28 fighter. Their offerings for the past few years have seemed lackluster compared to the Camaro. (Boss 302 vs. 1LE, new GT vs. old 1LE, etc) I can't wait to see the reviews and comparisons.

Christobevii3 posted:

Anyone going to the Detroit Auto Show? Is it worth going? I'm considering a weekend trip to check it out since my gf is looking at a new car in the next year or so.

I go every year. It's a pretty cool show and always lots of interesting stuff debuting, especially from the big 3 (2? :italy: Chrysler) . If you just want to look at cars up close and don't really care too much about what's coming up in the auto industry, I'd just head to some local dealerships.

Suburban Dad fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Nov 18, 2014

MrChips
Jun 10, 2005

FLIGHT SAFETY TIP: Fatties out first

VikingSkull posted:

All of Ferrari's V8's have been flat plane, I'd like to think that there's some reason for that.

Well to start with, a Ferrari isn't a car that is expected nor designed to be potentially driven 15,000 miles per year, unlike a Mustang (even this hi-po version), so they can do things that might negatively affect durability as it might take 20 years to accumulate 100,000 miles in your average Ferrari.

Also, sure you can mitigate the transmission of the vibration into the cabin with careful design of engine/transmission mounts and the addition of flex discs in the driveline and whatnot, but that doesn't address the affect of the vibrations on the engine itself. Those vibrations originate within the engine, and they create localised areas of high loading (compared to a cross-plane engine) that might manifest itself in bearings that wear out faster and ovalised cylinder walls, among other things. Again, in your average Ferrari that might see 5000 miles per year, this isn't a tremendously serious issue. In a car that is actually attainable to the general public like a Mustang? That's another story entirely.

Throatwarbler
Nov 17, 2008

by vyelkin
You could say the same thing about Inline 4 engines, and they still make those. It seems to be a solvable problem.

EDIT: How will the exhaust routing affect turbocharging? Doesn't the flat plane firing order make it more amenable?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe

MrChips posted:

Well to start with, a Ferrari isn't a car that is expected nor designed to be potentially driven 15,000 miles per year, unlike a Mustang (even this hi-po version), so they can do things that might negatively affect durability as it might take 20 years to accumulate 100,000 miles in your average Ferrari.

Also, sure you can mitigate the transmission of the vibration into the cabin with careful design of engine/transmission mounts and the addition of flex discs in the driveline and whatnot, but that doesn't address the affect of the vibrations on the engine itself. Those vibrations originate within the engine, and they create localised areas of high loading (compared to a cross-plane engine) that might manifest itself in bearings that wear out faster and ovalised cylinder walls, among other things. Again, in your average Ferrari that might see 5000 miles per year, this isn't a tremendously serious issue. In a car that is actually attainable to the general public like a Mustang? That's another story entirely.

I'm not entirely sure Fords designers have thought this through and it's entirely possibly they did this with no testing whatsoever. What idiots.

Tide
Mar 27, 2010

by FactsAreUseless

VikingSkull posted:

You aren't kidding:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l-UmFO_RpYs

Propaganda Bob
Aug 26, 2006

Not one step backwards!
One of the comments describes the noise as a declaration of war every time it goes wide open throttle. Can't think of a better way to put it.

Jesus.

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

MrChips posted:

It's more the "revs to 8000 rpm" part that I'd look at if I was thinking of things this engine does that might make it less reliable than a Windsor V8. A lot of what they do to reduce NVH is also various internal balancing features. Hell, Ford sells a volume loss-leader type car with a three-cylinder engine.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Throatwarbler posted:

Welp.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yC6tKvEy6t0&t=43s

Considering Chryslers legendary reliability I'm guessing there might be a spot for another contender or two.

fknlo
Jul 6, 2009

Fun Shoe
So I assume the GT350 will be in the same ballpark as the Z28 as far as price goes?

D C
Jun 20, 2004

1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING
1-800-HOTLINEBLING

fknlo posted:

So I assume the GT350 will be in the same ballpark as the Z28 as far as price goes?

$100,000 for the first few months then down to like 55-60k im guessing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

fknlo posted:

No. not at all. The Z28 has $5000 carbon ceramic brakes and an engine that's $17,000 in crate form.

The aluminum pannels over carbon fiber and steel brakes over carbon ceramic suggest they've kept the cost in check.