Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug

Spoke Lee posted:

"A video of the event surfaced, and Thomas can be heard repeatedly screaming in pain while officers are heard repeatedly asking him to place his arms behind his back. He audibly responds "Okay, I'm sorry!" and "I'm trying!" while the officers stretch his arm back. The police officers claim that, unable to get Thomas to comply with the requests, they used a taser on him (up to five times according to a witness statement, and the video footage), and in the video Thomas can be heard screaming "Dad! Dad!".

Indefensible.

I remember watching that video. Made me cringe with rage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

You just hand-waved away the deaths of mentally ill people because they couldn't comply with a LEO fast enough, you realize that right?

If under any circumstances you physically resist when a police officer is arresting you from a legal standpoint they can essentially do whatever they want. Does this mean I think it is moral? No, but what is moral and what the law says occasionally differs.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

CommieGIR posted:

I remember watching that video. Made me cringe with rage.

I think there needs to be a serious reevaluation of law enforcement in this country over the next few decades with regards to drug laws and a wide variety of other issues.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apthous posted:

If under any circumstances you physically resist when a police officer is arresting you from a legal standpoint they can essentially do whatever they want. Does this mean I think it is moral? No, but what is moral and what the law says occasionally differs.

If you think that's true, then how on earth can you keep pretending that you think Wilson committed a crime?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO

Apthous posted:

The retards had it coming. Yea.

GlyphGryph
Jun 23, 2013

Down came the glitches and burned us in ditches and we slept after eating our dead.

Apthous posted:

And Brown obviously resisted arrest here. We know that, because he was fleeing.

Also, what the law says is different, unsurprisingly, for people who are and are not police. The whole "regular person law doesn't ever apply to police" is certainly part of the problem. That police can murder people and do so legally is a problem in its own right. But it's absurd to think even the special police law applies to the police. Time and again, it has not.

And Wilson's behaviour is going to be found lawful, no matter what laws he may have broken, so it doesn't matter. Because none of his coworkers or superiors or government officials believe what he did was not immoral, and thus finding him guilty of breaking the law would be wrong (or at least politically disadvantageous), regardless of what the law says.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

If you think that's true, then how on earth can you keep pretending that you think Wilson committed a crime?

Because I have yet to hear any statements by any witnesses that support officer Wilson's claims, and the people that have not supported his version of events seem very credible to me.

MariusLecter posted:

The retards had it coming. Yea.

That is the complete opposite of what I said. I made a clear distinction between what I believe to be morally acceptable and what the law says.

GlyphGryph posted:

And Brown obviously resisted arrest here. We know that, because he was fleeing.

He was not physically resisting arrest when he was shot, even according to officer Wilson's version of events.

ellie the beep
Jun 15, 2007

Vaginas, my subject.
Plane hulls, my medium.

Josh Lyman posted:

Why did the governor declare a state of emergency if chaos might not happen for an entire week? Seems a bit premature and wasteful.

From what I understand he's not allowed to mobilize the NG without such a declaration, so he is using this time to stage them just right to support the inevitable police riot.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apthous posted:

He was not physically resisting arrest when he was shot, even according to officer Wilson's version of events.

He had been previously.

Apthous posted:

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
For the crime of resisting arrest, the sentence is death. :dredd:

Mc Do Well
Aug 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Trabisnikof posted:

He's a pretty lame troll, don't bother.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Edminster posted:

From what I understand he's not allowed to mobilize the NG without such a declaration, so he is using this time to stage them just right to support the inevitable police riot.

And if the communists don't spark something quickly enough, a threat can always be manufactured.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

He had been previously.

He was not actively resisting when shot though according to all of the witnesses that have came forward publicly.

MariusLecter posted:

For the crime of resisting arrest, the sentence is death. :dredd:

That is the way it often is. I don't think it should be, but that is just the way it is.

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

Apthous posted:

Even if Darren Wilson gets away with this, I don't think the way he behaved was moral. Why he needed to get so close to Michael Brown to make an arrest or question him is of very dubious nature.

Because what happened may be straight up murder. The other instances were of a gray area, this may not actually be gray in the least bit.

What prompted you to pay money to join these forums in November 2014?

Demon Of The Fall
May 1, 2004

Nap Ghost
Couple pages late, but I grew up most of my life in Brentwood, TN and it really is the worst. If white privilege could be in the dictionary it would use a big aerial picture of that town.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Apthous posted:

He was not actively resisting when shot though according to all of the witnesses that have came forward publicly.

But yet in your mind crying out "daddy" "daddy" counts as actively resisting?

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Trabisnikof posted:

But yet in your mind crying out "daddy" "daddy" counts as actively resisting?

Are we talking about my personal opinions about what constitutes resisting arrest or what the law says?

CAPS LOCK BROKEN
Feb 1, 2006

by Fluffdaddy

Apthous posted:

That is the way it often is. I don't think it should be, but that is just the way it is.

Thanks for letting us know smart "I post 55 times a day" guy

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

Peven Stan posted:

Thanks for letting us know smart "I post 55 times a day" guy

You've been probated 30 times. You of all people have no right to besmirch my posting history.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Apthous posted:

You've been probated 30 times. You of all people have no right to besmirch my posting history.

Look at this no-probation having scrub.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capitol: A building or complex of buildings in which any legislature meets.
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

"Oh, hey, 3 new pages in the Micheal Brown thread. Has the GJ revealed how big of shitheads they are?"

Nope, 1/2 a page talking about the governor pre-emptively declaring a State of Emergency, then 2 1/2 pages of stupidity/blatant trolling.

Apthous posted:

He's been probated 30 times since 2006. You've been probated 5 times since the 2nd. :bravo:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

slogsdon posted:

Look at this no-probation having scrub.

what
http://forums.somethingawful.com/banlist.php?userid=212572

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Awful.app pulled up a blank rap sheet, not my fault.

pathetic little tramp
Dec 12, 2005

by Hillary Clinton's assassins
Fallen Rib
In more gently caress the Ferguson system news, corrections officer Jaris Hayden is well and truly hosed so there's one down:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/11/ferguson_corrections_officer_charged_with_raping_inmate_in_city_jail_in_2013.php

Forced a pregnant woman to give him a blowjob before he raped her in jail. She managed to steal some of his pubes in the process. DNA testing proves they're his.

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW

pathetic little tramp posted:

In more gently caress the Ferguson system news, corrections officer Jaris Hayden is well and truly hosed so there's one down:

http://blogs.riverfronttimes.com/dailyrft/2014/11/ferguson_corrections_officer_charged_with_raping_inmate_in_city_jail_in_2013.php

Forced a pregnant woman to give him a blowjob before he raped her in jail. She managed to steal some of his pubes in the process. DNA testing proves they're his.

Nelly really needs to get his city under control.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010
Capital: A city designated as a legislative seat by the government or some other authority, often the city in which the government is located; otherwise the most important city within a country or a subdivision of it.

JFC :stare:

The Justice Department needs to just start reducing police stations and correctional facilities in Missouri to the legal equivalent of a smoking crater and just rebuild it all from scratch.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

Wait, wasn't the crime the officer was charged with actually less than rape? Sexual contact with an inmate seems like its a class lower than rape in MO.

Imagine having to walk to a Subway to ask for a bag to put your rapists pubes in. That's what you have to do.
\/

Trabisnikof fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Nov 18, 2014

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Lesson: if you're assaulted by a law enforcement officer, make sure it's a black officer.

Caliph206
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

"Oh, hey, 3 new pages in the Micheal Brown thread. Has the GJ revealed how big of shitheads they are?"

Nope, 1/2 a page talking about the governor pre-emptively declaring a State of Emergency, then 2 1/2 pages of stupidity/blatant trolling.

He's been probated 30 times since 2006. You've been probated 5 times since the 2nd. :bravo:

Given the threats going around it would be irresponsible to not declare a state of emergency. I mean how dare the police shoot an unarmed person. It doesn't matter what the unarmed person is doing, there is nothing they could have been doing that would warrant being shot.

The national guard needs to take over policing in Fergusono until the whole department can go get trained to never shoot an unarmed person.

Alkydere
Jun 7, 2010

Caliph206 posted:

Given the threats going around it would be irresponsible to not declare a state of emergency. I mean how dare the police shoot an unarmed person. It doesn't matter what the unarmed person is doing, there is nothing they could have been doing that would warrant being shot.

The national guard needs to take over policing in Fergusono until the whole department can go get trained to never shoot an unarmed person.

Yeah, fair enough on how the State of Emergency really should be called no matter what. You'll either have the local poor, black community rightfully upset at the injustice, or you'll have white assholes up in arms about how the justice system dares tell them they can't shoot blacks.

Caliph206
Apr 26, 2010

by XyloJW

Alkydere posted:

Yeah, fair enough on how the State of Emergency really should be called no matter what. You'll either have the local poor, black community rightfully upset at the injustice, or you'll have white assholes up in arms about how the justice system dares tell them they can't shoot blacks.

Whites cannot police blacks, that is just institutionalized racism. Every time a cop arrests a black, it is because they are following institutionalized racism. Police should be minding their own business, especially if you are unarmed. How dare the police shoot any unarmed person. The police are racist and they need to be replaced with African Americans. Until African Americans police their own neighborhoods they will be victims of institutionalized racism and we are just waiting for another assassination by police to happen.

bassguitarhero
Feb 29, 2008

Caliph206 posted:

Whites cannot police blacks, that is just institutionalized racism. Every time a cop arrests a black, it is because they are following institutionalized racism. Police should be minding their own business, especially if you are unarmed. How dare the police shoot any unarmed person. The police are racist and they need to be replaced with African Americans. Until African Americans police their own neighborhoods they will be victims of institutionalized racism and we are just waiting for another assassination by police to happen.

http://forums.somethingawful.com/member.php?action=getinfo&userid=163983 <-- click link, select "Add User to Ignore List"

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Caliph206 posted:

This is slightly hyperbolic, but it gets at the truth more or less.

AVeryLargeRadish
Aug 19, 2011

I LITERALLY DON'T KNOW HOW TO NOT BE A WEIRD SEXUAL CREEP ABOUT PREPUBESCENT ANIME GIRLS, READ ALL ABOUT IT HERE!!!

Caliph206 posted:

Agreed.

Dubstep Jesus
Jun 27, 2012

by exmarx

Caliph206 posted:

Unironically agreed, op.

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010

Caliph206 posted:

Wealth cannot police poors, that is just institutionalized classism. Every time a cop arrests a citizen, it is because they are following institutionalized classism. Police should be minding their own business, especially if you are unarmed. How dare the police shoot any unarmed person. The police are classist and they need to be replaced with poor's. Until poor's police their own neighborhoods they will be victims of institutionalized classism and we are just waiting for another assassination by police to happen.

"Average Police Officer Salaries. The average salary for police officer jobs in Ferguson, MO is $39,000. Average police officer salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits."

"Ferguson's per capita income of $21,000"

Fixed that

Apthous
Nov 2, 2014

by XyloJW
There are cops that make well over six figures and retire with pretty hefty pensions. The idea that they are humble civil servants who took vows of poverty is a complete lie.

Koalas March
May 21, 2007

Caliph206 posted:

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

BlueBlazer posted:

"Average Police Officer Salaries. The average salary for police officer jobs in Ferguson, MO is $39,000. Average police officer salaries can vary greatly due to company, location, industry, experience and benefits."

I can't tell if you're stupid or pretending to be stupid.

This thread is so confusing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

BlueBlazer posted:

Fixed that

$21,000 per capita isn't as bad as you think it is. And $39,000 is far from wealth.

• Locked thread