Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ahmeni
May 1, 2005

It's one continuous form where hardware and software function in perfect unison, creating a new generation of iPhone that's better by any measure.
Grimey Drawer

theadder posted:

they have a bunch of new customer stuff that looks good & i kept being told i cant have

the actual ~offers for james~ look p bad

the correct response to this is "oh so if I cancel my service I can get this?"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
just pay more money I mean that's what you do when apple has a new thing

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

ahmeni posted:

the correct response to this is "oh so if I cancel my service I can get this?"

thx

echinopsis posted:

just pay more money I mean that's what you do when apple has a new thing

:iamafag:

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
i am not well-versed in matters of security, so i come here seeking wisdom. here's the scenario: you have a server running tomcat. it's got apache configured to do reverse-proxying and https-serving magic. is the traffic between apache and tomcat essentially available to anybody who can log onto the server?

one person is saying tomcat should be set up to do https, and then apache (also doing https) should reverse-proxy for tomcat, but that seems weird to me and kind of overkillish

thanks for any help you can give :tipshat:

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

my computer crashed while my VM was running apt-get upgrade and i think it broke my linux

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Luigi Thirty posted:

my computer crashed while my VM was running apt-get upgrade and i think it broke my linux

try http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=1285098

alternately, if there's nothing you care about just make a new vm

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Luigi Thirty posted:

good thing it's just a vm and you can roll back to a previous working snapshot

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

prefect posted:

i am not well-versed in matters of security, so i come here seeking wisdom. here's the scenario: you have a server running tomcat. it's got apache configured to do reverse-proxying and https-serving magic. is the traffic between apache and tomcat essentially available to anybody who can log onto the server?

one person is saying tomcat should be set up to do https, and then apache (also doing https) should reverse-proxy for tomcat, but that seems weird to me and kind of overkillish

thanks for any help you can give :tipshat:

this is true to a point because for most scenarios you'd need root access but why would you need to protect your webserver from your local users? the point being is that you should never allow untrusted users to log in anyway

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
another question from a person who knows less than he probably should: will ulimit kill processes that try to take up too much memory, or will it just prevent them from sucking up too much? i'm hoping for the latter

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts
someones got a box that drops into initramfs on boot and fsck nor fixing the superblocks doesnt work any ideas

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

someones got a box that drops into initramfs on boot and fsck nor fixing the superblocks doesnt work any ideas
why do you think that is a filesystem error, are you getting read errors or something

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

why do you think that is a filesystem error

i dont fuckin know linux is bad and giving students root is cool and good

id wipe it and start over obvs but LOL NO ONE KNOWS WHATS ON THERE~

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

graph posted:

i dont fuckin know linux is bad and giving students root is cool and good

id wipe it and start over obvs but LOL NO ONE KNOWS WHATS ON THERE~

Boot a live cd, mount the filesystems, get the data off, flatten & reinstall.

I've fixed all kinds of boot issues and yours is highly likely recoverable but it's too much :effort:

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

spankmeister posted:

Boot a live cd, mount the filesystems, get the data off

yeah theres 20 partitions lol

but yeah. thx tho

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

graph posted:

yeah theres 20 partitions lol

but yeah. thx tho
murder whoever did your lunix

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

anthonypants posted:

murder whoever did your lunix

aint my poo poo

*~grad students~*

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

graph posted:

aint my poo poo

*~grad students~*

i love coming upon crazy rear end partition tables that just seem like whoever installed it was stoned as gently caress

sure, yes, of course your own home directory and a subdirectory under your home directory both need their own partitions, obvs

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
less fragmentation

enotnert
Jun 10, 2005

Only women bleed
I came across this one when I went to reimage a random windows machine setup by my predecessor. . .

suffix
Jul 27, 2013

Wheeee!

prefect posted:

another question from a person who knows less than he probably should: will ulimit kill processes that try to take up too much memory, or will it just prevent them from sucking up too much? i'm hoping for the latter

it won't directly kill them, but of course it depends on how gracefully the program handles ENOMEM errors

man getrlimit should describe the behaviour of each resource limit http://linux.die.net/man/2/getrlimit

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

I have a thing for courageous dongles

does anyone know of big (45"+) lcd screens with motion sensors on them so they only turn on when someone is by them? we keep putting in these stupid kiosk screens in hallways that are on 24/7 even though nobody gives a single poo poo about them and its loving up our energy reduction targets. also touch-screen enabled

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
its probably cheaper to find a motion sensor power controller for the existing monitors.

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Shaggar posted:

its probably cheaper to find a motion sensor power controller for the existing monitors.

probably but I think quite a few of them are conventional TVs with tuners and I'm not sure how they would handle having power interruptions like that. I suspect the initialization delay will be too much, compared to turning the backlight on/off which is where most your power draw is going anyhow

Shaggar
Apr 26, 2006
no one will care is my guess. also if the input is already tuned the tv boot time is probably not much. really what you need is a way to detect the people who care about the kiosks cause they probably don't come round much.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

probably but I think quite a few of them are conventional TVs with tuners and I'm not sure how they would handle having power interruptions like that. I suspect the initialization delay will be too much, compared to turning the backlight on/off which is where most your power draw is going anyhow

get some sort of HDMI splitter/switch and put its power adapter on the motion sensor so it goes to no input. most modern tvs should sleep p quick

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

Jonny 290 posted:

get some sort of HDMI splitter/switch and put its power adapter on the motion sensor so it goes to no input. most modern tvs should sleep p quick

that's a good idea, thanks

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!

Jonny 290 posted:

wish mine would, min 15 minutes of no input :(

bobbilljim
May 29, 2013

this christmas feels like the very first christmas to me
:shittydog::shittydog::shittydog:

BangersInMyKnickers posted:

does anyone know of big (45"+) lcd screens with motion sensors on them so they only turn on when someone is by them? we keep putting in these stupid kiosk screens in hallways that are on 24/7 even though nobody gives a single poo poo about them and its loving up our energy reduction targets. also touch-screen enabled

if you have sensor lights could you wire the tvs onto the same sensor? What I mean is that maybe the whole hallway of tvs should turn on instead of each tv individually, less granular could be better

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

what's a decent wireless router? my dad wants a recommendation but he's probs not going to lay out five bills for a professional setup

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

theflyingexecutive posted:

what's a decent wireless router? my dad wants a recommendation but he's probs not going to lay out five bills for a professional setup
RT-AC66U
RT-AC68U
RT-AC87U

BangersInMyKnickers
Nov 3, 2004

bobbilljim posted:

if you have sensor lights could you wire the tvs onto the same sensor? What I mean is that maybe the whole hallway of tvs should turn on instead of each tv individually, less granular could be better

Nothing is consistent here. We have over 100 buildings with that kind of kiosk poo poo jammed in them over the years and I need something that can retrofit on to existing equipment for <$100. Disrupting the video signal with a motion sensor seems like the best bet and hopefully most of the displays will play nice and go to sleep all on their own.

graph
Nov 22, 2006

aaag peanuts

apple airport express

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

graph posted:

apple airport express

"but it costs $40 more than this belkin one I'm looking at"

theadder
Dec 30, 2011

"but it costs $40 more than this belkin one I'm looking at"

lol

Panty Saluter
Jan 17, 2004

Making learning fun!
no matter what router you like i think we can all agree that belkin is garbage piss trash for idiot clowns at a circus

You Am I
May 20, 2001

Me @ your poasting

Panty Saluter posted:

no matter what router you like i think we can all agree that belkin is garbage piss trash for idiot clowns at a circus

and D-Link

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe
https://wikidevi.com/wiki/EHome_EH100
:q:

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny 290 posted:

not my veon

:(

Heresiarch
Oct 6, 2005

Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that no single book is. A book is not an isolated being: it is a relationship, an axis of innumerable relationships.
my tv goes to sleep if the connection drops when it's on the vga input, but not on the hdmi or component or whatever. i had to get back in the habit of turning the tv off when i started using hdmi instead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

theflyingexecutive
Apr 22, 2007

"would you buy an android phone?"
"no"
"belkin is the android of routers"
"but 40 dollars!"