Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
LordNad
Nov 18, 2002

HEY BAD GUYS, THIS IS THE VICE PRESIDENT, PLEASE DON'T KILL HIM!

ManMythLegend posted:

MFTA is actually pretty loving baller.

Is it like the what the USNS ships use? We (p-3 community) are just getting it in buoy format and it's pretty sick. Use to use the c4 buoys for CZ prosecution and couldn't ping if there were any whales around.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

LordNad posted:

Is it like the what the USNS ships use? We (p-3 community) are just getting it in buoy format and it's pretty sick. Use to use the c4 buoys for CZ prosecution and couldn't ping if there were any whales around.

No.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:

Sir Lucius posted:

But all we did was play flag football and eat burgers and dogs! And everyone brought their actual dogs, and at no point did a single person talk about work, evals, or any Navy bullshit. It was kind of cool.

I experienced this once when visiting a pilot friend out in P-Cola. We showed up at this dept-wide barbeque at someone's house, everyone was playing cornhole (not e3 barracks cornhole :cumpolice:) and talking about jets n poo poo and I remember holding my steak (OFFICERS) and my bourbon (OFFICERS) and going "Wh- why"

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

ManMythLegend posted:

Not going to lie, that factored into my calculus at the time. I knew that I was in a pretty good position after my two DIVO tours, and that I was going to get a masters and JPME I knocked out ashore to set me up further.

I guess I'll let you guys know if I thought it was worth it in a few years.

You just said "factored into my calculus." You'll do fine in 16 years when you get your first star.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Mr. Nice! posted:

You just said "factored into my calculus." You'll do fine in 16 years when you get your first star.

:drat:

You're hosed MML, you will never be free.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Mr. Nice! posted:

Jesus dude, what did he do to you to deserve that kind of :iceburn:

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

:negative:

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.
Just call me when you're a commodore and you need a good way to screw the birthday officer out of a grand for t-shirts that you use as a positive fitrep point for yourself.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

Mr. Nice! posted:

Just call me when you're a commodore and you need a good way to screw the birthday officer out of a grand for t-shirts that you use as a positive fitrep point for yourself.

Holy LOLy

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

Mr. Nice! posted:

You think I'm a big enough scrub that I would get a squadron instead of a cruiser? drat man, that's some cold poo poo.

SPACE HOMOS
Jan 12, 2005

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

SPACE HOMOS posted:

I don't know poo poo about officer life or being in command, I just know cruisers got choice liberty ports over destroyers. But maybe that was the god loving fuckhead we had that declined thailand.

I got to deal with him periodically because he was XO and then CO of a cruiser in Hawaii.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

SPACE HOMOS posted:

Went into an officer's mess. They had a stocked bar with two arcade machines (shore). pretty much summed up my choices to me

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

SPACE HOMOS posted:

It's basically hookers, coke, and the lawlessness of international waters.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ManMythLegend posted:

It's basically hookers, coke, and the lawlessness of international waters.

I thought it was basically this

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

That too.

buttplug
Aug 28, 2004

Mr. Nice! posted:

I say "mental calculus" all the time... I hear that poo poo in the civilian sector all the time :shrek:

edit: COWPENS is loving cursed. Swap crews, swap homeports, and that ship still kills careers like its going out of style. IIRC it had the single worst retention rate of any unit in the Navy back in 2009-2010 (Graf era).

buttplug fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Nov 18, 2014

Mr. Nice!
Oct 13, 2005

bone shaking.
soul baking.

buttplug posted:

I say "mental calculus" all the time...

If that statement alone isn't damning enough :v:

vulturesrow
Sep 25, 2011

Always gotta pay it forward.

buttplug posted:

I say "mental calculus" all the time... I hear that poo poo in the civilian sector all the time :shrek:

This is not a shock to anyone who's read more than 2 of your posts.

Wingnut Ninja
Jan 11, 2003

Mostly Harmless

ManMythLegend posted:

I guess I'll let you guys know if I thought it was worth it in a few years.

Or the Navy Times will.

Analogical
May 20, 2013

Wingnut Ninja posted:

Or the Navy Times will.

NT is weak. You gotta gently caress up so bad you're in the Army Times

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

buttplug posted:

edit: COWPENS is loving cursed. Swap crews, swap homeports, and that ship still kills careers like its going out of style. IIRC it had the single worst retention rate of any unit in the Navy back in 2009-2010 (Graf era).

Ah Graf.

PROTIP: When you're at a BOI begging a bunch of flags to have mercy on what's left of your career, it's generally not a good idea to blame everything on your JOs.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.
And you don't lay money down.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
:iiam:

I just got my prospective rating back, and they're throwing permanent retirement at me for a problem that should have been rated TDRL. The lawyer essentially told me to sign that bitch right now, but the QA process might catch it (and if it doesn't, praise baby jesus).

If everything clears, I'll have forever-TricareRetired, forever-Dental, forever-head-to-toe-no-copay, forever-Gym, and forever-50%basepay after only 10 years. I'm okay with that.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
my experience has generally been that once an admin error happens (unless it's BAH overpayment) they almost never catch that poo poo. Especially if you're already out. Just stay super quiet about it and enjoy!

tacopie
Apr 29, 2009

buttplug posted:

Is it bad that I have junior guys asking me if they can get their obliserv waived til they get to their next command so our current command will not get the retention numbers?

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

Angry Fish posted:

I just got my prospective rating back, and they're throwing permanent retirement at me for a problem that should have been rated TDRL. The lawyer essentially told me to sign that bitch right now, but the QA process might catch it (and if it doesn't, praise baby jesus).

If everything clears, I'll have forever-TricareRetired, forever-Dental, forever-head-to-toe-no-copay, forever-Gym, and forever-50%basepay after only 10 years. I'm okay with that.

Take it and run!

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

take the money and run

I was expecting 30 tdrl and they showed me 70 lmao i snatched my pen out of my pocket so fuckin fast

Every other day I ride my beard to the free gym and shake my head at all these suckers with bad haircuts and shaving bumps

SpaceJustice
Jan 4, 2010
What is TDRL?

Genocide Tendency
Dec 24, 2009

I get mental health care from the medical equivalent of Skillcraft.

Angry Fish posted:

http://youtu.be/Rt4pX6TnLJA

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

SpaceJustice posted:

What is TDRL?

Temporary Disability Retirement List

It's medical retirement, but you have to be re-evaluated by military doctors at some point, because the severity or impact of the medical condition that rendered you unfit for military service may improve or worsen.

The other is PDRL. Obviously the "P" stands for "Permanent." That's for when they don't expect the severity or impact of the medical condition rendering you unfit for service will not change.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

DownByTheWooter posted:

Temporary Disability Retirement List

It's medical retirement, but you have to be re-evaluated by military doctors at some point, because the severity or impact of the medical condition that rendered you unfit for military service may improve or worsen.

The other is PDRL. Obviously the "P" stands for "Permanent." That's for when they don't expect the severity or impact of the medical condition rendering you unfit for service will not change.

They really shouldn't have rated my problem permanent and it has me extremely paranoid that they're going to take the offer away in three months or something. :smith:

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?
I signed, but then there is that 30 + 90 days of bureaucratic mess I potentially have to wait for before I get my discharge orders cut.

Pandasmores
May 8, 2009

If some kid with an adjustment disorder can get TDRL'd because they're a treatment failure and their command is too lazy to admin sep them, then you can get PDRL'd.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

Angry Fish posted:

They really shouldn't have rated my problem permanent and it has me extremely paranoid that they're going to take the offer away in three months or something. :smith:

it's possible, but really the only "errors" I've ever seen caught are BAH overpayments.

A Bad King
Jul 17, 2009

Suppose the oil man,
He comes to town.

Yet Mr. King,
He killed the thread
The other day.
Well I wonder.
Who's gonna go to Hell?

Pandasmores posted:

If some kid with an adjustment disorder can get TDRL'd because they're a treatment failure and their command is too lazy to admin sep them, then you can get PDRL'd.

This makes sense. I'm not terribly worried, but I was expecting less and was extremely surprised by the fact I'm getting out like a bandit here.

I was expecting a get-out-of-contract-free card and a quick $70k from severance, and I'm getting almost $1mil over a life time plus health care.

A Bad King fucked around with this message at 19:04 on Nov 18, 2014

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

check your inbox.

and here's my general philosophy:

If you try to make poo poo up to get out/get more money, you're an rear end in a top hat.
If you tell the truth and they decide to be generous...hey man, that's their problem.

(EXCEPTION: BAH overpayment...report that or you'll probably end up court-martialed for BAH fraud. You won't get convicted because your lawyer will blame it all on PSD, and the jury will agree...but it's still a pain in the nuts.)

ActusRhesus fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Nov 18, 2014

US Berder Patrol
Jul 11, 2006

oorah

Angry Fish posted:

I signed, but then there is that 30 + 90 days of bureaucratic mess I potentially have to wait for before I get my discharge orders cut.

This actually happened really fast for me, so get your poo poo together. Your retirement date is less than 90 days from the day your signature hits their desk.

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
So an Admiral liked the challenge coin I designed (with the help of Sir Lucious?) so much that he's personally tasked me to develop one for the N3 Directorate because of course he did. Despite the source that immediately went to the bottom of my personal and professional priorities list and now he's apparently upset and wants it by Friday.

Anyway, I threw a rough draft together this morning and I'm wondering if anyone with any computer skills can work with me to draft a scalable, computerized version so that I can take it from rough concept drawing to full fledged digital product.

I'd be willing to send you a finished coin as well as some form of compensation.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

if it doesn't have subliminal dicks in it you have passed up a golden opportunity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich
He's a submariner and his only guidance was, "N3 with a touch of humor"

Perhaps I should have just made the coin submarine (penis) shaped with N3 bold across it.

• Locked thread