Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
That makes me kinda sad, I want to see some more cool duets

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

organism
Sep 30, 2005
organism
Instead of trying to figure out what constitutes "abuse" across a cultural divide, we should be focusing on the real problem here... mysterious anime disease.

Did you know that one in five anime characters are afflicted with a nebulously defined illness that leaves them basically healthy and able to go about their daily lives except when they occasionally cough up blood, are unable to do physical activity and die before the age of 25? This silent killer has been forcing otherwise listless protagonists to shoulder the burden of other people's unrealized ambitions for decades ('cause, y'know, my childhood friend was nice to me that one time so now I have to devote my entire life to whatever half-baked fantasy they had as a kid before they dropped dead for no reason).

Please donate today. Together we can end this cliche, I mean, epidemic.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

organism posted:

Instead of trying to figure out what constitutes "abuse" across a cultural divide, we should be focusing on the real problem here... mysterious anime disease.

Did you know that one in five anime characters are afflicted with a nebulously defined illness that leaves them basically healthy and able to go about their daily lives except when they occasionally cough up blood, are unable to do physical activity and die before the age of 25? This silent killer has been forcing otherwise listless protagonists to shoulder the burden of other people's unrealized ambitions for decades ('cause, y'know, my childhood friend was nice to me that one time so now I have to devote my entire life to whatever half-baked fantasy they had as a kid before they dropped dead for no reason).

Please donate today. Together we can end this cliche, I mean, epidemic.

The other 1 out of 5 get run over by the predatory Japanese Moving Truck.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

There IS something very hollow and off-putting about this show, how it unsuccessfully melds comedy, tone and context, the weird behavior of Kousei's "friends" and the lazy use of anime cliches to justify it, etc. I wasn't sure this series would have anything for me to begin with, but I don't know if it's offensive so much as it just doesn't really know what it's talking about in general, regarding abuse or otherwise.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

There IS something very hollow and off-putting about this show, how it unsuccessfully melds comedy, tone and context, the weird behavior of Kousei's "friends" and the lazy use of anime cliches to justify it, etc. I wasn't sure this series would have anything for me to begin with, but I don't know if it's offensive so much as it just doesn't really know what it's talking about in general, regarding abuse or otherwise.

what are you even trying to say?

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Lucy Heartfilia
May 31, 2012

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

what are you even trying to say?

Pootybutt doesn't like formulaic romance/drama anime.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

I'm saying this particular formulaic romance/drama anime has some serious framing problems, to the point that it just feels gross and rings hollow to me. It's like they tried to spice up an otherwise standard romcom by tossing in a abuse plotline for good measure, which results in wonderfully awkward moments like starting off right with showing Kousei's troubling past and then expecting me to giggle at him being yelled at all the time or having softballs lobbed at his head over his very understandable reasons to not want to play the piano.

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Pootybutt posted:

I'm saying this particular formulaic romance/drama anime has some serious framing problems, to the point that it just feels gross and rings hollow to me. It's like they tried to spice up an otherwise standard romcom by tossing in a abuse plotline for good measure, which results in wonderfully awkward moments like starting off right with showing Kousei's troubling past and then expecting me to giggle at him being yelled at all the time or having softballs lobbed at his head over his very understandable reasons to not want to play the piano.

oh ok. i like the show and think it is good, and i want to see kousei play the piano and work through his troubled past.

also you know maybe we dont have the full story as to why kousei stopped playing the piano...

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA fucked around with this message at 19:05 on Nov 15, 2014

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Dick Spacious CPA posted:

oh ok. i like the show and think it is good, and i want to see kousei play the piano and work through his troubled past.

Yaaaay, tho I highly doubt it would ever work out the way this show is trying(poorly) to sell it, ie; via a horrible mpdg appearing from nowhere to push you around and decide for you what your dreams are.

Also I'm not sure I especially care if the show ever shows more about Kousei, likely cause it'd just be another hollow plot contrivance to make Kaori look more justified in her behavior and mostly because obviously, I'm just going by what the story itself is doing and saying as I see it. If we always reserved our opinions on plot before the plot was ENTIRELY over, period, why bother criticizing anything ever?

Pootybutt fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Nov 15, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
gently caress you fight me

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Razzled posted:

gently caress you fight me

anime in a nutshell

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Pootybutt posted:

anime in a nutshell

Good, fighting is why I watch shonen anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shonen anime is about becoming stronger to fight a series of enemies, this includes the romances.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

The Devil Tesla posted:

Shonen anime is about becoming stronger to fight a series of enemies, this includes the romances.

I pumped for Tsubaki going through a training arc to blow Kaori the gently caress up out of the romance running in the 2nd act of this anime.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Looking forward to the evil rivals that show up this week being defeated and becoming allies.

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I watched up to the current episode this weekend and it isn't ringing hollow for me, despite the fact I normally don't like middle school settings. Maybe because there are a lot of parallels with Chihayafuru. Admittedly, many are facile, such as Arima's resemblance to Arata. I'm guessing a small guy with black hair and glasses is fairly standard visual shorthand for a sober, over-achieving child character.

I like the character designs a lot more than other animes of this type, too, though I couldn't put my finger on why. The faces have a bit of personality and expression.

Chas McGill fucked around with this message at 11:54 on Nov 17, 2014

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Chas McGill posted:

I watched up to the current episode this weekend and it isn't ringing hollow for me, despite the fact I normally don't like middle school settings. Maybe because there are a lot of parallels with Chihayafuru. Admittedly, many are facile, such as Arima's resemblance to Arata. I'm guessing a small guy with black hair and glasses is fairly standard visual shorthand for a sober, over-achieving child character.

I like the character designs a lot more than other animes of this type, too, though I couldn't put my finger on why. The faces have a bit of personality and expression.

It's the eyes man, the eyes are drawn so beautifully

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Razzled posted:

It's the eyes man, the eyes are drawn so beautifully

----------------

Chas McGill
Oct 29, 2010

loves Fat Philippe
I like the retroussé noses as well.

Alpha Kenny Juan
Apr 11, 2007

Now Loading: Colors (47%)

paragon1
Nov 22, 2010

FULL COMMUNISM NOW

I think he might be able to pilot attack helicopters now.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
He's just using his Waifu Sonar.

linall
Feb 1, 2007
Who are you again?

Saw it coming a mile away of course, but it was still super funny. Makes sense too. He never bothered to learn about his rivals because the only person he was competing against was his mother, ect. For a show that is so happy-go-lucky, the issues they keep dancing around are dark as gently caress. Which has been what everyone in the thread has been saying since episode one, but this episode is when it really hit me for whatever reason.

I knew there wasn't going to be any actual competition this episode but that was a pretty evil place to end it. I wonder Arima will even play next episode. Depending on how important the rivals are going to be, I could see them getting their own episode. Though it would be flying in the face of the themes of the show has been exploring so far.

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

I'm fully expecting next episode to be a flashback episode for blonde spiky dude, followed by his performance. Maybe even the same for the other rival, at most. No more than that though, I can almost guarantee it.

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

HiveCommander posted:

I'm fully expecting next episode to be a flashback episode for blonde spiky dude, followed by his performance. Maybe even the same for the other rival, at most. No more than that though, I can almost guarantee it.

Nah, it's not a Shonen. They'll definitely have Arima play next episode.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Yeah, they already had the flashback for the other two guys anyway? The whole "omg arima 1st flashback thing"?

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Truga posted:

Yeah, they already had the flashback for the other two guys anyway? The whole "omg arima 1st flashback thing"?

There's a bit more flashbacks on their way.

Next episode will probably begin with spiky dude's performance and end with the Arima stepping up to the piano. I honestly might be overestimating the time it will take to get through the two rivals though. So, :shrug:

HiveCommander
Jun 19, 2012

OneDeadman posted:

There's a bit more flashbacks on their way.

Next episode will probably begin with spiky dude's performance and end with the Arima stepping up to the piano. I honestly might be overestimating the time it will take to get through the two rivals though. So, :shrug:
I take it you're read up on the manga?
If so, called it!

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

----------------

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

get ready for some piano action next episode

----------------

Twiddy
May 17, 2008

To the man who loves art for its own sake, it is frequently in its least important and lowliest manifestations that the keenest pleasure is to be derived.
So is Kaori going to be to you what Tohsaka is to Cake Attack, or...?

Dick Spacious CPA
Oct 10, 2012

Twiddy posted:

So is Kaori going to be to you what Tohsaka is to Cake Attack, or...?

i like all the characters

----------------

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!
This show is still pretty good!! Plinking and plonking. Not that I can tell what makes one performance better than another, but I'm guessing whoever squirts the most colours is doing the best.

Arcanen
Dec 19, 2005

darkgray posted:

This show is still pretty good!! Plinking and plonking. Not that I can tell what makes one performance better than another, but I'm guessing whoever squirts the most colours is doing the best.

I'm curious. Are all the performances of the characters recordings of super skilled real life people? I'm too much of a music moron to know by ear, but I would think that they wouldn't use anything synthesized.

darkgray
Dec 20, 2005

My best pose facing the morning sun!

Shakugan posted:

I'm curious. Are all the performances of the characters recordings of super skilled real life people? I'm too much of a music moron to know by ear, but I would think that they wouldn't use anything synthesized.

They've got professional players doing the performances. The piano pieces in this episode were handled by Sakata Tomoki. The duo thing back in ep 4 was done by Shinohara Yuuna on violin and Kawachi Eriko on piano.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

darkgray posted:

The same rule as any shounen battle tournament arc: whoever causes the spectators to freak out the most is currently winning.

The back and forth between the piano instructors was fantastic. The music was fantastic. This show could probably have been just as good if this girl rival was the main rival girl.

Shakugan posted:

This is the one thing that is sort of breaking the show for me: the musical performances are so good and are clearly done by professionals (and certainly not synthesized) that it adds this unintentional humor to it, with how they are trying to make these middle schoolers look like they are producing it.

Yak of Wrath
Feb 24, 2011

Keeping It Together
Is it just me or did the rival girl combine the traits of Tsubake (in love with Arima and his playing) and Kaori (passionate playing style that he "sees") with a flashback to give the first decent motivation to want him to start playing piano again, which was at some point he actually enjoyed it before his mother beat that out of him.

Replace Kaori with her;
She starts playing after a meeting with a child prodigy, destined to become the best in Japan, no the world.
He quits after the death of his mentor, but she wants nothing more than for him to play again, to see her play.
Then he watches her play like a impassionate god, that inspirational music starts up and red leaves flutter across the screen.

It practically writes itself.

Yak of Wrath fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Nov 28, 2014

SC Bracer
Aug 7, 2012

DEMAGLIO!

AnacondaHL posted:

This is the one thing that is sort of breaking the show for me: the musical performances are so good and are clearly done by professionals (and certainly not synthesized) that it adds this unintentional humor to it, with how they are trying to make these middle schoolers look like they are producing it.

Having done a lot of classical music myself, age isn't really a barrier to playing at an incredibly high level, as much as practice is. There are a few things, like playing notes an octave apart, that would be harder, but there are techniques to get around that. My own music teacher was playing stuff at this level at around their age.

AnacondaHL
Feb 15, 2009

I'm the lead trumpet player, playing loud and high is all I know how to do.

SC Bracer posted:

Having done a lot of classical music myself, age isn't really a barrier to playing at an incredibly high level, as much as practice is. There are a few things, like playing notes an octave apart, that would be harder, but there are techniques to get around that. My own music teacher was playing stuff at this level at around their age.

The issue isn't capability, the issue is statistics. I'm quite familiar with the talent that these kids can have, having also grown up in a world of classical music competition myself, but seeing it like this is pretty ridiculous, even accounting for the fact that we are just watching an anime.

Then again I guess that's whatever since "this would make more sense if the characters were college kids instead of middle schoolers" is a meaningless complaint in anime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya
Well, I guess we know where the show's animation budget went.

That was the best episode the show's had yet.

• Locked thread