Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Supercar Gautier posted:

The first level of Tropical Freeze isn't long or brutal though. The game's got a pretty good difficulty curve that ramps up at a degree that feels fair. It's not Donkey Souls.

All of the souls games have a reasonable and fair learning curve. (i haven't played Dark Souls 2)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

Austrian mook posted:

All of the souls games have a reasonable and fair learning curve. (i haven't played Dark Souls 2)

It has a fair learning curve too. It does the Star Fox thing--you have the easy route or the hard route (the hard route has giant knights who hit you with big weapons the easy route has a bunch of zombers)

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

Not only does this look extremely good and cool, the music is also incredibly win

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Having become old and lazy I really dislike games that seem like they will take up all my gaming for the year to get through, so a game being brutal in a very long first level out of 50 is liable to discourage me entirely. Then I didn't buy any of the new DK games anyway, predicting how it would play out. But the argument that you want challenge and value for money does not apply in the same way to everyone.

Nintendo IMO does a pretty good job putting out Marios, DKs and Kirby games - a mix of difficulties that Goldilocks could find just right whether she liked hard or easy games. Kirby is maybe a bit TOO easy, but Mario isn't too hard and the levels go fast so if you're alright at platformers you'd finish it in 8 hours or so.

Astro Nut
Feb 22, 2013

Nonsensical Space Powers, Activate! Form of Friendship!

I honest to god hope they do this with as many of their trailers as possible, going ahead. Because yeah, it just looks so drat good. And I will never get tired of that music.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Andrast posted:

Bayonetta just tells you how terrible you were after the level.

yeah, if youre just trying to beat them platinum games arent really hard (unless you set them to the highest difficulties obv), but when it gives you a poo poo brown medal at the end you know youre not playing it right

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
The latest Kirby game is similar to the latest DKC game inasmuch as the bosses are weirdly long and elaborate, but in Kirby's case it's more that they have a million patterns and not three or four patterns that take ages to cycle through.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Splatoon is going to be fun and I am looking forward to it.

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

unimportantguy posted:

Splatoon is going to be fun and I am looking forward to it.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I wonder if Nintendo is going to try and make 60fps a standard for their internally developed games now. Because it looks amazing and makes the gap between consoles look a hell of a lot smaller.

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?

greatn posted:

I wonder if Nintendo is going to try and make 60fps a standard for their internally developed games now. Because it looks amazing and makes the gap between consoles look a hell of a lot smaller.

I know they talked about going for 60fps in ALBW and realizing it was something they could do. Nintendo does seem to be realizing the value there (Haven't they promised Smash U at 60fps too?), so I wouldn't be too surprsied to see more.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

What's up with the lack of Wii U in Black Friday listings this year? I see stuff for xbone, ps4, even 2ds/3ds, but not a single mention of anything Wii U.
I was thinking of finally getting one, too.

No more twerking Samus :(
Where do you find all those avatars, anyway?

Eye of Widesauron
Mar 29, 2014

raditts posted:

What's up with the lack of Wii U in Black Friday listings this year? I see stuff for xbone, ps4, even 2ds/3ds, but not a single mention of anything Wii U.
I was thinking of finally getting one, too.

No more twerking Samus :(
Where do you find all those avatars, anyway?

Click on the text below my avatar ;)

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

I don't really like Super Mario Sunshine all that much but now I'm really glad it was made

Ultigonio
Oct 26, 2012

Well now.

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

The latest Kirby game is similar to the latest DKC game inasmuch as the bosses are weirdly long and elaborate, but in Kirby's case it's more that they have a million patterns and not three or four patterns that take ages to cycle through.

There's also the fact that (almost) all the bosses in K3D can be damaged a significant amount of the time. The dynamic camera angles in those fights also help them to feel alive and threatening, and hitting them actually carries some sort of impact, which DKCTF also lacks.

I want to see HAL do more bosses like they did in Triple Deluxe. I do not want to see Retro do more bosses like they did in Tropical Freeze.

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

The Owl boss in TF was really cool because every pattern gave you an opportunity to hit it in some way or another, rather than making you wait through a whole long cycle for each chance to attack. Most of the bosses were like that to some degree, except the last boss (booo).

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Yeah, I didn't really have any problems with the Tropical Freeze bosses but I can understand why people who felt like they had to wait through every pattern whenever they missed/failed to recognise an opening might have been put off.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

unimportantguy posted:

I know they talked about going for 60fps in ALBW and realizing it was something they could do. Nintendo does seem to be realizing the value there (Haven't they promised Smash U at 60fps too?), so I wouldn't be too surprsied to see more.

I played some Smash U at that Best Buy event a month or two ago, and it was definitely pushing 60FPS a majority of the time, or at least my eyes were telling me that. There were some hiccups but very minor. Also I pretty much assumed this was an unfinished build, and not some restricted demo of the final product.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

greatn posted:

Hell, given how poorly-optimized most PS4/Xbone games are, and how few of them hit even 720p60, the Wii U has a habit of coming out ahead graphically.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?
Isn't Smash U doing twice the framerate and twice the number of players on a quarter of the consoles than the new Assassin Creed?

Blackbelt Bobman
Jul 17, 2004

I don't need friends! I've been
manipulatin' you since the start!
All so I can something,
something X-Blade!

I had a weird glitch today while playing Hyrule Warriors.

I was in the middle of a level when the "Communications with the controller have been interrupted" message popped up. Except, my pro controller was still on. And it wouldn't go away. And the home button still worked, so it was still connected. It took me like fifteen minutes to get it to go away, and the only way I could do it was by opening the home menu with the Gamepad, going to controller order, which turns off all the controllers, backing out all the way and closing the home menu, then turning the pro controller back on again and hitting A. It was extremely bizarre and frustrating. I've heard that the newest firmware update was causing some weird glitches, but I don't know if that is relevant.

Davinci
Feb 21, 2013
I'm thinking maybe the 3DS not being strong enough being the reason Ice Climbers aren't in the new Smash isn't entirely true. Because I have doubts that even the Wii U could handle 8 player Ice Climbers all while maintaining 60 fps.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

Isn't Smash U doing twice the framerate and twice the number of players on a quarter of the consoles than the new Assassin Creed?

To be fair, Unity has a shitload of NPCs in massive environments to think about, while SSB4 only has a handful in relatively small stages.

Have they said what the control schemes for Splatoon are gonna be? Because I remember when it was first unveiled they said aiming was going to be gyroscopic, which would suck total, actual balls if that's the only option.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

greatn posted:

I'd rather play a game in 60fps on the WiiU than 30fps on the PS4

E: This is more important for some games than others. I'd probably rather have the better graphics if it was an RPG or something.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG

Calaveron posted:

To be fair, Unity has a shitload of NPCs in massive environments to think about, while SSB4 only has a handful in relatively small stages.

Have they said what the control schemes for Splatoon are gonna be? Because I remember when it was first unveiled they said aiming was going to be gyroscopic, which would suck total, actual balls if that's the only option.

There was an option to turn off the gyro-aiming and use the sticks normally in the E3 demo, so hopefully it'll be in there.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Smash is 60FPS even on 3DS with stereo 3D enabled, but that doesn't mean they'll do it for every game. Aonuma still thinks 30FPS is fine for 3D Zelda, for example.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

I mean, it is stupid to argue too deeply about this, since of course the PS4 could run Smash at 120 fps without breaking a sweat, and of course a big triple-a studio could replicate the performance details given sufficient motivation, but it is still the case that Nintendo is really good at bringing out pleasing visuals and designs with relatively unimpressive hardware.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

I mean, it is stupid to argue too deeply about this, since of course the PS4 could run Smash at 120 fps without breaking a sweat, and of course a big triple-a studio could replicate the performance details given sufficient motivation, but it is still the case that Nintendo is really good at bringing out pleasing visuals and designs with relatively unimpressive hardware.

What? How is saying that you'd prefer a well optimized game to a graphically intense one stupid?

Gutcruncher
Apr 16, 2005

Go home and be a family man!
That is the first Splatoon trailer Ive seen and now I cant live without it. So you can aim with gyro or sticks, but what about remote and nunchuck?

whaley
Aug 13, 2000

MY DOODOO IS SPRAYING OUT
You folks missed out when Best Buy had white Pro Controllers for 25 bucks. They hooked me UP

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Or when K-Mart had them for $30!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.

Gutcruncher posted:

That is the first Splatoon trailer Ive seen and now I cant live without it. So you can aim with gyro or sticks, but what about remote and nunchuck?

They've only confirmed gamepad/pro controller support for now.

Bruceski
Aug 21, 2007

The tools of a hero mean nothing without a solid core.

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's less "apples and oranges" and more "apples and a banana plantation" where the plantation is also badly managed and full of unripe bananas.

Austrian mook
Feb 24, 2013

by Shine
I wonder what Nintendo's optimization team would put together on a next gen system? I wonder if they've thought about outsourcing those guys because they're wizards

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Best thing about Nintendo is they aren't afraid to use colors in their games.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

Macaluso posted:

This is only a very recent thing; for example, Brock was the only notable black character in the Pokemon games until the 5th generation came out.

Level Slide
Jan 4, 2011

How do you optimize a game?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
Ya know it probably wouldn't kill Nintendo to make some of the Toads black actually

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
They can't even commit them to explicit genders, no way in hell will they start adding ethnicity, too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

Macaluso posted:

That and, you know, they're ok with games being games instead of trying to make a cinematic masterpiece with middle school level writing

• Locked thread