Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mooktastical
Jan 8, 2008

Illuyankas posted:

I will accept Vincent whateverhisnameisfromthatinvisiblemanshow (Vega?) if needed.

Ventresca. He'd make a good Thomas.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KellHound
Jul 23, 2007

I commend my soul to any god that can find it.

Mooktastical posted:

Ventresca. He'd make a good Thomas.

He is not nearly hot enough to be Thomas

OptimusWang
Jul 9, 2007

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Ok, having to wait for the new Rivers of London book is officially driving me up the wall (I don't want to switch my Kindle to England because of the few people who've run into problems doing that).

Hopefully the copy I preordered from the UK travels swiftly.

Is there a way to order the kindle version in the US if you don't own a physical kindle? I'm fine with reading it on my iPad, I just don't want to wait until January :smith:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

OptimusWang posted:

Is there a way to order the kindle version in the US if you don't own a physical kindle? I'm fine with reading it on my iPad, I just don't want to wait until January :smith:

You could probably try switching your "region" and then using kindle for pc, but as before it's somewhat risky to do that because Amazon has been known to close out people's accounts. If you don't have a kindle account maybe that's less of a risk.

There are also ways to spoof Itunes but it's a lot more complicated and difficult because Itunes requires an in-region method of payment (i.e., a credit card or debit card or prepaid card with a British address).

In either case you may also need to use proxy software depending. Beyond that I don't think there is a legal way to get the ebook in the U.S. You can always order a physical copy.

Hieronymous Alloy fucked around with this message at 17:15 on Nov 15, 2014

computer parts
Nov 18, 2010

PLEASE CLAP

OptimusWang posted:

Only if we get Paul Blackthorne back as Harry. The rest of the show was poo poo but he was great, especially given what he was working with.

He'd probably be old enough for Ebeneezer by the time the book rights were finalized.

If you want him as a detective on the beat right now though, watch Arrow.

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

OptimusWang posted:

The Kindle version appears to be available on Amazon.com (US) and you can read it on a Kindle app on your iPad. Assuming Amazon will let you buy stuff on Amazon.com, that should work (did for me anyhow).

http://www.amazon.com/Foxglove-Summer-Peter-Grant-Book-ebook/dp/B00JZVKSMA/ref=tmm_kin_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&sr=8-1&qid=1416066399

Edit:
Nevermind. Tried switching to a US VPN and the book became unavailable. Apparently I only got it from Amazon.com because I'm an international customer.

Apoffys fucked around with this message at 16:53 on Nov 15, 2014

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008
I doubt the books will have the kind of support for a Game of Thrones treatment. The books themselves are too long to be good movies, too short for a tv season, and the book series itself is much too long for either.

Probably the best bet for a good TV series would be a prequel series. Dresden while he is working for Ragged Angels, with flashbacks of training under DuMorne and/or McCoy for B-plots

Nemesis Of Moles
Jul 25, 2007

You could do a mini series or something, but yeah, with how self contained each book is, it hardly seems possible to make a movie or long running series without fudging it somewhat. A show set in the universe maybe. A Paranet show would be neato.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

Animated Series

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Nemesis Of Moles posted:

You could do a mini series or something, but yeah, with how self contained each book is, it hardly seems possible to make a movie or long running series without fudging it somewhat. A show set in the universe maybe. A Paranet show would be neato.

It could be done with some creativity, make each book a certain amount of episodes in a season, so maybe do storm front and fool moon in a season, maybe 12 episode seasons with the mid season hiatus being a time jump to the next book.

ducttape
Mar 1, 2008

Oroborus posted:

It could be done with some creativity, make each book a certain amount of episodes in a season, so maybe do storm front and fool moon in a season, maybe 12 episode seasons with the mid season hiatus being a time jump to the next book.

Three books per season would need ~8 seasons to finish the whole planned run. And there tends to be a game changer every 3 books, which would make larger seasons problematic.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
You could mix in the short stories and expand them into episodes to fill out the run.

enigma105
Mar 16, 2004

His record...it's over 9-7!!!

Mr. Fowl posted:

You could mix in the short stories and expand them into episodes to fill out the run.

This plus add in some new stuff, have book cases be two-three parters, season finale, and other big stuff. There's plenty to work with for tv. The books could be miniseries rather than a full series as well, but you don't see those much anymore.

Oroborus
Jul 6, 2004
Here we go again

Mr. Fowl posted:

I was thinking the side jobs could be webisodes to keep interest going through long breaks, if you only do 12 episode seasons that is 8 months to fill if you have a 1 month mid season hiatus.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
re: Foxglove Summer

Man, loving Ben Aaronovitch, learn to wrap up loose ends goddamnit :argh:

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Scorchy posted:

re: Foxglove Summer

Man, loving Ben Aaronovitch, learn to wrap up loose ends goddamnit :argh:

I think he's padding the series a bit, but in a good way. He's a former television writer, so he's giving us some books that are "plot arc" episodes and some books that are filler. First book was the pilot, second book established plot, third book was a background/worldbuilding episode, fourth book moved the plot forward, fifth book is another background/worldbuilding episode, next book we'll get more plot arc.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Ben Aaronivtch also has the distinction (for my tastes at least) of not writing cringe-worthy sex-scenes which i find way too common in this genre. "They undress fade to black" that really is all i want of this types of scenes in an adventure book.
Also. I respect is restraint with Nightingale. He has this character who can make Tiger tanks blow up and he makes sure he is not overused. (drat you Aarranovitch. I want to see The Nightingale blow poo poo up!)
It also seems that Peter is growing a but without Lesley around to hold his hand.
I just felt that the conclusion was a bit abrupt... I mean. Its not like he has the time constraint of "got wrap this up in 42 minutes" going on here...

Korgan
Feb 14, 2012

That's my major problem with Foxglove Summer too. The book just...stops. There's no real wrapping up of what's going on, they don't even have Peter reporting in about what he found and getting The Nightingale's take on it or Molly's, for that matter. We don't even have a chance to find out just what a staff can do, and if Peter really should be running around with two military-issue ones. It's a little frustrating, but I'm still enjoying the books and I am definitely wanting the next one to arrive soon. I just wish we got some more information about what's being uncovered during the books.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Yeah I'm fine with the overarching story and mythology being doled out slowly, I thought that was interwoven more smoothly than in the other books. I was just frustrated because there so many dangling questions within the case itself. Like what was up the eldest daughter swapping the children in the first place, or how the one guy was father to all 3 kids, or why they suddenly decided to swap them back after 11 years. Or what the Queen's motivations for any of the stuff was. Maybe I missed a lot, I'd have to re-read, but I feel like a longer summary scene at the end would done wonders, but instead it's like he ran out of paper suddenly.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

I think he's padding the series a bit, but in a good way. He's a former television writer, so he's giving us some books that are "plot arc" episodes and some books that are filler. First book was the pilot, second book established plot, third book was a background/worldbuilding episode, fourth book moved the plot forward, fifth book is another background/worldbuilding episode, next book we'll get more plot arc.

Well, I dunno. I distinctly recall many people bitching about how meandering and filler-ful the previous book was. And frankly we got about as much main plot movement in that one than in this one.

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Maybe it's just me but I thought that all of these questions were answered in the book?
(One of the things that has become obvious is that Ben Aaronovich reads HUGE amounts of really trashy fantasy - as, sadly, do I - but most of his audience don't, and that could be what's causing the problems. "Obvious" things that are staples of the genre aren't obvious when you don't really know the genre)

Scorchy posted:

Like what was up the eldest daughter swapping the children in the first place

She took the baby with her to keep it quiet, and brought back a changeling by mistake

Scorchy posted:

or how the one guy was father to all 3 kids
Father to 2 kids - the other girl was a changeling, they didn't DNA test her to show her parents IIRC. He'd been having an affair with the mother since she was young enough to have been babysitting his oldest daughter

Scorchy posted:

or why they suddenly decided to swap them back after 11 years.
Changling was summoned home, and the "real" daughter, who'd picked up a bunch of tricks with the fae, decided to take the oppertunity to go home and abuse her power like the spoiled little kid she was

Scorchy posted:

Or what the Queen's motivations for any of the stuff was.

In the old myths about the Faerie, stealing kids is what they do - usually explained away as they REALLY like kids but find it very hard to have any of their own.

just_a_guy posted:

(drat you Aarranovitch. I want to see The Nightingale blow poo poo up!)
There's a comic (series of graphic novels?) coming "soon" and if that sells well, they're planning on doing a Nightingale in WW2 story.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade
No its all three Its mentioned that paternity was identified with the baseline samples gathered off screen from around the house by the regular local police

Quinton
Apr 25, 2004

I don't mind that Foxglove Summer spent some time away from the larger plot (though it had some reasonable nods to it still being ongoing, including Peter starting to deal with his feelings about Lesley's betrayal). My main complaint is that it did feel like it was maybe a chapter or two short and things wrapped up extremely abruptly as a result. The various books have all put new things on the table that are explored more later in the series, and I don't mind new elements being introduced, but it did feel like some of them could have been resolved in this book instead of almost all being left open ended.

I liked that we got a little more background on Nightingale, Ettersberg, and Molly (does Peter now know more about what Molly is than Nightingale?).

The whole situation with the changeling (apparently) not wanting to stay with the fae, and her mother clearly preferring her over the terror that her half-sister had become was good stuff. I am curious exactly why the girls wandered off (if the theory about them running away before having to go off to different schools was accurate or not). The rest regarding the fae was not terribly confusing/surprising, since they clearly operate similarly to how they do in other stories, but I do wonder what sort of consequences we may see later in the series for Beverley's rescue of Peter, and if maybe we'll return to Faerie at some point...

In short: enjoyed it a bunch, wish it had been a little longer, looking forward to more.

Farecoal
Oct 15, 2011

There he go
Almost done with the first Verus book. My favorite part is when someone apparently "'[dialogue]' growled, and he couldn't keep the growl out of his voice"

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Foxglove Summer question:

What's the deal with this passage?

"She nodded and then reached over to brush the side of my face, which was beginning to swell nicely.
'When did you do this?" she asked.
"Yesterday evening," I said. "I walked into a tree.""

What actually happened that caused that? I remember thinking "wait, what?" and I'm not sure I ever read the answer to what really happened there.

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006
Literally the next few sentences.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
Ah, I read "walked into a tree" as euphemism rather than literal statement of truth, and then got really confused.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

ookiimarukochan posted:

Maybe it's just me but I thought that all of these questions were answered in the book?
(One of the things that has become obvious is that Ben Aaronovich reads HUGE amounts of really trashy fantasy - as, sadly, do I - but most of his audience don't, and that could be what's causing the problems. "Obvious" things that are staples of the genre aren't obvious when you don't really know the genre)

Okay so 11 years ago the Queen swapped the children when Zoe ran away with the baby. Then later the Queen takes Hannah and Nicole both, but for some reason releases them a week later, and has the unicorns chase Peter and Dominic to where they could conveniently be found, but she had swapped Nicole again. If she didn't like the not-Nicole child that makes sense I guess, but then she changes her mind and sends the unicorn to rampage into the house to get not-Nicole back?

If the answer is just a faerie did it, and faeries are weird and mercurial. Then that's alright I suppose, I was just expecting a more proper police ending to the investigation, especially since the procedural aspects of the rest of the book were so strong.

As for Dominic it was nice to have a character that was just gay and nobody gave a poo poo about it. Was there something else going on with him though? The journalist (under the influence of not-Nicole) singled him out specifically when she went crazy. By itself that's probably nothing, but at the end he was talking about a throne of blood, and that just got glossed over - or was that some British pop culture reference that went over my head?

Molly I had always figured was some variation of bean sidhe/banshee, since in Moon Over Soho the rivers were calling her a lady of death.

I thought I was following along fine up until the book just stops, but yeah not knowing a lot about British culture and traditional folklore probably hurts my understanding of the stuff. I had to look up Mr. Punch after reading the first book, for instance.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Foxglove Summer talk here:
As for Beverley saving Peter I believe that the implication is that Peter is "hers" that's way he can't just go around selling himself to other fae I might be completely of the mark though. But that is my take.

Asking for recommendations now.
I read and like Dresden files, Rivers of London, Alex Verus, Libriomancer (weird nimph implications aside on that one) and even the Iron Druid (They have slipped yes but i still find them fun and I believe the latest one was an improvement.
I tried the Mercy Thompson books because I was actually interested in a female protagonist written by a Woman and Anita Blake is just "paranormal romance schlock" that I find unbearable. Still even on this book I I feel that the treatment of women is sub-par (what with her having to be rescued and cowing "to the might of the Alpha males every other page (and here I was thinking this would be a fun book with a Hell-raising Coyote)
So good Urban fantasy that I have not listed in this vein? Good or at least fun ones?
I would like to read one with a Woman for a change of pace but preferably one that actually is self-reliant and the book does not rely on her being torn between a hunky werewolf or a seductive vampire...

Since I had a daughter 2 years back I really overanalyze female protagonists thinking "Is this an example I want to show my daughter?" and I mostly come out short... I though I would love reading her the Princess Bride but after I reread it I realized that Buttercup barely even existed as a character and gave up on that idea...
Unless something better comes up I will raise my child on a steady diet of Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Veronica Mars

That was ranty... But i had stuck inside for a good while now.

e. I have mentioned it before on this thread but noone seemed interested but I will mention it again: Skulduggery Pleasant despite being YA is a pretty fun series that everyone should give a read. It even as a female protagonist somewhat to my tastes

just_a_guy fucked around with this message at 22:52 on Nov 17, 2014

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

The Rook was written by a guy, but has a pretty self-reliant female protagonist, and that's definitely a fun, stupid book.

Greywalker was written by a woman and has a female PI as its lead, though I found the pacing in that series to be glacial.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Yup. That's a fun and stupid book :) read it so long ago thatI forgot and I have no idea when the next one is coming out. (But I would like to read it)
btw. Seconding your opinion on Dominic form RoL. That was refreshing.
Greywalker. I might read a summary see what its like but you seem to think its not worth the bother?

OmniBeer
Jun 5, 2011

This is no time to
remain stagnant!
I like Seanen McGuire's October Daye books.. There's a bit of romance, but not in any sort of terribly awkward way. Fun Fae-focused stories.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

OmniBeer posted:

I like Seanen McGuire's October Daye books.. There's a bit of romance, but not in any sort of terribly awkward way. Fun Fae-focused stories.

Seconding this. Just skip the first book and you will be good. A bit more political intrigue going on the novels than your standard dresden novel.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

just_a_guy posted:

Greywalker. I might read a summary see what its like but you seem to think its not worth the bother?

I'm lukewarm about them, they're a tier below the other books you listed. It's definitely not as fun in the Dresden sense, they're more paranormal slow burn detective books, with a female lead who can see ghosts. There's no weird werewolf sex however. The folklore is that of the Pacific Northwest, though the world building is more atmospheric than fantastical. There's a soft reboot at the end of book #5, and by then the writing is more crisp and self-contained, so to be honest I wouldn't start at the first book. Track down a copy of book #6 or #7 (Seawitch?) first and see if you like it.

just_a_guy
Feb 18, 2010

Look into my eyes!
Thanks for the recommendations.
I will load one of each into my kindle and see how I like them.
I have no idea what the folklore of the Pacific northwest is like (with me being portuguese and all) so just on the curiosity factor I'm in.
October daye I won't be losing any important backstory by skipping the first one?

Apoffys
Sep 5, 2011

just_a_guy posted:

So good Urban fantasy that I have not listed in this vein? Good or at least fun ones?
I would like to read one with a Woman for a change of pace but preferably one that actually is self-reliant and the book does not rely on her being torn between a hunky werewolf or a seductive vampire...

I rather liked Ilona Andrew's "Kate Daniels" series, though it certainly has flaws. It starts with a self-reliant female protagonist and barely any romance (been ages since I read them, don't remember exactly), but gradually the romance ramps up and the protagonist has to get rescued more often. The first few books might be to your liking, but the later ones probably aren't.

Regarding Greywalker, I've read the first two. They weren't terrible books or anything, but they just couldn't hold my interest and I just gave up after the second. Too slow, not enough zombie dinosaurs and fireballs as I recall.

While not really what you're looking for (it's WW1 steampunk YA), Scott Westerfeld's Leviathan trilogy had a pretty decent female protagonist in my opinion.

SystemLogoff
Feb 19, 2011

End Session?

The Parasol Protectorate Series is a fun read if you can tolerate a little steampunk (as in "oh hey, steam no punk") in your life. It's very popcorny/groan-worthy in a few places though.

Piell
Sep 3, 2006

Grey Worm's Ken doll-like groin throbbed with the anticipatory pleasure that only a slightly warm and moist piece of lemoncake could offer

Young Orc
The Jane Yellowrock series is pretty good too.

cbservo
Dec 26, 2009

by exmarx
Nthing the recommendation for Alex Verus- just finished book two, and it's really well done. The magic system is really good, and Alex is a great rear end in a top hat protagonist.

Supporting characters are great too. Luna is a great change of pace from Molly so far, and Arachne is ::allears::

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

fordan
Mar 9, 2009

Clue: Zero

OmniBeer posted:

Seanan is icked out by sex scenes in urban fantasy novels too based on a conversation I had with her at a convention back a year and half ago so hopefully there won't be much. Or at least you'll be able to do what she says she does which is look a page or two ahead to jump to after the sex.

First book in October Daye is fine in the same way Dresden Files first 3 are fine.