Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

Just a striding through Kamen Rider...
I beat Metroid 2 but only after many, many years of getting lost because there's a bullshit destructible block you need to find to advance forward and there's no real clues to find it. gently caress.

That being said, it does a good job of being an actually creepy, lonely, and sometimes scary game on the GB. That's impressive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that doesn't look fun to navigate without a map at all. I feel bad for those kids who got Metroid II as their single christmas videogame gift :smith:

I had Metroid 2 and Kirby's Dream Land as my 2 main GB games forever and I don't think I ever got much further than getting the spider ball but I still really liked it because I was a kid.

I don't think I ever beat King Dedede back then either.

Lemming
Apr 21, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Yeah that doesn't look fun to navigate without a map at all. I feel bad for those kids who got Metroid II as their single christmas videogame gift :smith:

Even without a map it's not so bad. Find where there's lava, explore the other route, once you kill the Metroids there's a rumble and now you go where the lava was.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

elf help book posted:

I had Metroid 2 and Kirby's Dream Land as my 2 main GB games forever and I don't think I ever got much further than getting the spider ball but I still really liked it because I was a kid.

I don't think I ever beat King Dedede back then either.

i had prehistorik man on the original gameboy, and only that game for a year. never beat it. very difficult game for a child

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

I played Kirby's Dream Land enough that I still think Kirby copying powers is weird.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

KingSlime posted:

It was great, cause if you get lost and walk around in circles it's like the game never ends.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

elf help book posted:

I played Kirby's Dream Land enough that I still think Kirby copying powers is weird.

Yeah, and only SOME enemies, not all of them...and sometimes the powers are poo poo

kurona_bright
Mar 21, 2013
If I want the experience of drawing maps for games, I'll just play Etrian Odyssey. :v:

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Cake Attack posted:

Actually the wii u is the best next gen console as well

It is? Probably has the most and best games on it right now, I guess. Also isn't it the cheapest next-gen console?

Well, for me, for the majority of the people it probably was/is amazing though. 90% of what I play are JRPGs so ps2 was golden: I can count 28 different JRPGs I played and liked, plus it had MGS2 and 3, Silent Hill 2, 3 and 4, DMC 1 and 3, RE4, Tekken 5, DBZ Budokai 3 and Onimusha 2, 3 and 4. Besides these, there was stuff I never played but people consider classic, like Ico and Shadow of the Colossus. That's over 40 games, which is a poo poo ton of stuff.

Ps3 was very meh for me. Loved Sleeping Dogs, MGR: Revengeance, The Last of Us and Deus Ex: HR. Played a bunch of other stuff like ME and the new Disgaea games and they were ok, but besides these? That's kinda it. Only 4 games I remember fondly for a generation is just very little. It of course is for my stupid tastes, so a lot of people can name dozens of ps3 games they adored. Just thinking that ps4 will be more or less the same deal for me.

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

ManOfTheYear posted:

It is? Probably has the most and best games on it right now, I guess. Also isn't it the cheapest next-gen console?

both these things are true, which is why the wii-u owns.

Also as a fellow jrpg player PS3 was pretty good.

You had Valkyria Chronicles, the Tales of games, the Atelier games, Nier, and some other stuff I'm forgetting

Policenaut
Jul 11, 2008

On the moon... they don't make Neo Kobe Pizza.

PS3 took like 4 years to get going on the JRPG front but it got there and it was great. HOLLA AT ME, NIER!

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
This month's 3DS Club Nintendo games are Metroid 2, Kirby's Pinball Land, Tokyo Crash Mobs (Puzzloop: 90s FMV Game Edition) and Starship Defense (Q Games tower defense).

ManOfTheYear
Jan 5, 2013

Policenaut posted:

PS3 took like 4 years to get going on the JRPG front but it got there and it was great. HOLLA AT ME, NIER!

Cake Attack posted:

Also as a fellow jrpg player PS3 was pretty good.

You had Valkyria Chronicles, the Tales of games, the Atelier games, Nier, and some other stuff I'm forgetting

Besides these, what else was there? Disgaea 3, 4 and D2 at least, plus ME1-3 and Dragon Age: Origins at least.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

ni no kuni. also dragons dogma if you're posting bioware games

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
It's me I'm the kid who got Metroid 2 at Christmas (with Christmas money) because of the sweet robot on the cover. I also never finished it and was genuinely unsettled and scared every time a Metroid showed up. I'm considering getting it for my 3DS now and reliving the terrors of my youth.

E: holy poo poo I pulled up the ost on my computer at work and this music is a blast from the past!

Wildtortilla fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Nov 17, 2014

Cake Attack
Mar 26, 2010

Davincie posted:

ni no kuni

If I'm including bad games I could have easily padded the list with poo poo like time and eternity and every compile heart game

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Wildtortilla posted:

It's me I'm the kid who got Metroid 2 at Christmas (with Christmas money) because of the sweet robot on the cover. I also never finished it and was genuinely unsettled and scared every time a Metroid showed up. I'm considering getting it for my 3DS now and reliving the terrors of my youth.

E: holy poo poo I pulled up the ost on my computer at work and this music is a blast from the past!

Getting Zelda 2 on 3DS and beating it felt pretty drat good.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
I've beaten and loved Metroid II before, but despite beating it the first time I've never been able to finish it on replays. I always get stuck about halfway through and can never find where to go next.

Davincie
Jul 7, 2008

Cake Attack posted:

If I'm including bad games I could have easily padded the list with poo poo like time and eternity and every compile heart game

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

The DS version of Ni no Kuni was a goodass game, its a shame the only one to come out over here was the mediocre PS3 version.

Saoshyant
Oct 26, 2010

:hmmorks: :orks:

Policenaut posted:

Eh, Nier came out on the X360. In fact, for an American console, the 360 had a bunch of exclusive JRPGs like Lost Odyssey, Blue Dragon, Star Ocean 4, Eternal Sonata, and Tales of Vesperia. Yes, three of these ended up coming out later on the PS3, but for a while they were exclusive. Just saying the 360's JRPG library is pretty impressive all things considered.

Dre2Dee2
Dec 6, 2006

homeless snail posted:

The DS version of Ni no Kuni was a goodass game, its a shame the only one to come out over here was the mediocre PS3 version.

Whoa wait, the DS version is the superior one? :stare:

Also I was lucky enough to get the collectors edition so I have an english copy of the wizards spell book. It's cool

BattleMaster
Aug 14, 2000

KingSlime posted:

I got it as a kid, I loved the poo poo out of it, and I beat it without maps or a player's guide.

I loved it and I found it to be a little unsettling. The music got weirder and more threatening as you got deeper, the Metroids got more numerous and you didn't know what form they'd take when you found them, and the designers liked to put shed stage I shells near the places the Metroids took up nest so you'd go in thinking "oh God I have to go in there after it?"

I'm guessing it loses its edge when you're not 8 years old and when you're living in an era where the Game Boy is seen as a hilarious and ugly antique though. To me it's easily a close second to Super Metroid as the best game in the series.

I have never beaten the original, though, and every time I try it doesn't take long for me to be pissed off by various things before I give up.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
If it's good enough for ODB it's good enough for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raif51h8AyM

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

PaletteSwappedNinja posted:

If it's good enough for ODB it's good enough for me:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=raif51h8AyM

Y'know, I really wish they'd enable Super Game Boy features on the 3DS GB emulator. At the very least the color changes, because I've been hankering for some hellish photonegative Donkey Kong action.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Dre2Dee2 posted:

Whoa wait, the DS version is the superior one? :stare:

Also I was lucky enough to get the collectors edition so I have an english copy of the wizards spell book. It's cool
The PS3 one has some serious pacing issues, and particularly I feel like the combat system is the kind of overly involved bad triace imitation that's really overdone in JRPGs these days. The DS game is a lot quicker in general, and the combat is a really smart update on the classic front/back row FF system with some extra positional stuff.

Also the book is more important to the DS game, and that's rad because the book owns. Even if its just a copy protection thing.

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
Metroid II holds up a lot better than i remember. Actually enjoying the hell out of it.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

KingSlime posted:

I got all the way through Metroid 2 as a kid without using a map. Then again, I never really had a problem with Metroid 1 either, so I don't know what's up with you guys' hosed up retardo brains.

Why is Metroid 2 is the only one that ever has the whole evolution thing, and it's totally forgotten about after that?

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

raditts posted:

I got all the way through Metroid 2 as a kid without using a map. Then again, I never really had a problem with Metroid 1 either, so I don't know what's up with you guys' hosed up retardo brains.

You're the chosen one, the most special-est gamer of them all. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Ziddar
Jul 24, 2003

Time Travel: Not Even Once

okay maybe a few times

raditts posted:

Why is Metroid 2 is the only one that ever has the whole evolution thing, and it's totally forgotten about after that?

Fusion has a huge Omega Metroid at the end, but I imagine it's because by the end of Fusion there aren't any metroids left to even make it to that stage. During the Prime trilogy, the Pirates' experimentation on metroids probably prevented any natural life cycle from occurring.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

majormonotone posted:

You're the chosen one, the most special-est gamer of them all. Congratulations :thumbsup:

Don't hate on my superior genetics.

KennyMan666
May 27, 2010

The Saga

The theory is that they can't naturally evolve outside of SR-388's environment. Thus why the Fusion station had a replica of it. The Prime variants are mostly phazon mutations.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Metroid 2 was way easier than Metroid 1 to navigate for some reason.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

Ziddar posted:

Fusion has a huge Omega Metroid at the end, but I imagine it's because by the end of Fusion there aren't any metroids left to even make it to that stage. During the Prime trilogy, the Pirates' experimentation on metroids probably prevented any natural life cycle from occurring.

Yeah, the experimentation thing is why I assume the babby metroid in Metroid 2 just becomes a really big regular metroid in Super Metroid, and it's been at least a decade since I played Fusion so I barely even remember anything about that game. Giant fuckoff alien beasts are far more imposing than little flying jellyfish brain suckers though, so you'd think they would try to work them in more often.

KennyMan666 posted:

The theory is that they can't naturally evolve outside of SR-388's environment. Thus why the Fusion station had a replica of it. The Prime variants are mostly phazon mutations.

Well I guess that makes sense, but still... giant fuckoff alien beasts.

Getsuya
Oct 2, 2013
My brother got Metroid 2 for Christmas (I got Kid Icarus) but we were fine because we had a subscription to Nintendo Power and there was an issue with a complete map. Before the internet and Gamefaqs you really needed that NP sub if you were going to get serious about any Nintendo games.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

raditts posted:

Yeah, the experimentation thing is why I assume the babby metroid in Metroid 2 just becomes a really big regular metroid in Super Metroid, and it's been at least a decade since I played Fusion so I barely even remember anything about that game. Giant fuckoff alien beasts are far more imposing than little flying jellyfish brain suckers though, so you'd think they would try to work them in more often.

Well I guess that makes sense, but still... giant fuckoff alien beasts.

Personally I find cute little space jellyfish far more emotionally compelling than monsters

Rudoku
Jun 15, 2003

Damn I need a drink...

I remember playing through Metroid 2 not knowing what the gently caress those huge monsters were. Then I got to the baby and was even more confused.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
3DS HOMEBREW REQUIRES "CUBIC NINJA"

compounded daily
Mar 29, 2007

:buddy:
Fun Shoe

And suddenly the game is selling out everywhere. If you manage to find a cheap copy, snatch it up post haste, cus they ain't gonna be around much longer.

Guess now would be a good time to save up for the New 3DS and never update my current one ever again :/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

I bought that game for $2.99 about a month ago.

Looks like I'm good to go.

EDIT: I have no problem sending this game off to someone else after I make use of it myself... just if you can't fine it easily enough. And you live in the US.

Canned Panda fucked around with this message at 05:55 on Nov 18, 2014

• Locked thread