Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax

WolfensteinBag posted:

Just posting with my obligatory, "Thanks for posting pictures of your dogs!" I don't usually get a chance to actually reply to anything, but I'm still following the thread for the pictures. :3

This just has me picturing a field with slow moving animals ala Oregon Trail. The bears were the best!

Oh! While I'm here, I might as well post a puppy update. Well, the litter we were waiting on didn't pan out. :smith: It was the second time breeding this female to this male where it didn't take, so they did some more testing and found that she's likely infertile. This was going to be her last litter, anyway, so she's obviously retiring now, and they're just planning their next litter for later in winter. So we're basically waiting another 6 months, and there's no sire picked out yet. The wait is absolutely killing me! I'm really on the edge of my seat for what sire they're going to pick, since their female is black. Whoever the male is, is going to determine what patterns the puppies throw. :ohdear: Because of all the traits the dogs could have, the color is the one I should be focused on, right? :downs:

It's understandable, because black GSDs are the best. Man Wildhaus has had absolutely terrible luck with their breedings lately. I hope this one pans out, Isis is my favorite of their active breeding bitches. I wish a puppy was on the table for me right now, Hanmark Kennel has a litter on the ground right now out of Kookie. I know a dog from one of her last litters and he's one of my favorite GSDs.

http://www.working-dog.eu/breed/Hanmark-39465

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That's going to be a good looking litter!

Yeah, the first time they tried breeding Eris they thought they didn't get the timing right, so when they tried it this last time around and the timing was spot on, they knew something was up. I'm pretty bummed, I was really excited to get a puppy out of Eris. Chris was even saying that her "Eris line" puppies seemed more suitable for us than her "Raven line" pups, which Isis is. She said the Raven dogs tend to be more serious. At any rate, I just hope there's something for us with this next litter, I have been waiting WAY too long at this point, if you consider all the prep time before even getting on a waiting list! But it's not like you can help the things that have happened, they had no idea it was going to turn out the way it did. At this point, I'll wait as long as it takes, I'm determined to get what I want! I'm just super sick of waiting, though, haha!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Mo and I have matching nails now because one of us won't stop trying to open doorknobs by smashing them.

Writer Cath
Apr 1, 2007

Box. Flipped.
Plaster Town Cop

Queen Elizatits posted:

Mo and I have matching nails now because one of us won't stop trying to open doorknobs by smashing them.

Well come on now, doors aren't going to open themselves.

We all know Mo is a perfect gentleman.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Writer Cath posted:

Well come on now, doors aren't going to open themselves.

We all know Mo is a perfect gentleman.

He has taken all of them off but one I guess that's his accent nail.

OT but I love the slow mo on this phone. the black dog is a dutch shepherd involved in a felony animal abuse case, he was smashed on the head with a brick but he's recovering very well. I thought about starting a thread about him but the DS community is so small it would be just asking for drama

I knew they were agile but I didn't really realize how agile they could be when they went from starved to round barrel shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aX5dXT0hY

wtftastic
Jul 24, 2006

"In private, we will be mercifully free from the opinions of imbeciles and fools."

Queen Elizatits posted:

He has taken all of them off but one I guess that's his accent nail.

OT but I love the slow mo on this phone. the black dog is a dutch shepherd involved in a felony animal abuse case, he was smashed on the head with a brick but he's recovering very well. I thought about starting a thread about him but the DS community is so small it would be just asking for drama

I knew they were agile but I didn't really realize how agile they could be when they went from starved to round barrel shape

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i-aX5dXT0hY

Show jumping dogs, what's next?!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
That dutchie is adorable, I'm glad he's recovering well :3:

A friend of mine was nice enough to take some lovely pictures of Kas and Vecna training last night.

Herr Zwiebel is thinking of doing agility with Kas, I really hope he does. She loves running, jumping, and tunneling so much and she is hands down one of the fastest GSDs I've ever met.

Vex's leg was bothering him a lot last night so he was having a hard time getting into a tight sit but I love his intensity.

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Triangulum posted:

Herr Zwiebel is thinking of doing agility with Kas, I really hope he does. She loves running, jumping, and tunneling so much and she is hands down one of the fastest GSDs I've ever met.

Kas looks pretty enthusiastic, but this picture makes me cringe a little. If y'all do decide to go ahead with agility definitely do some jump training to minimize the risk of injury.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Lord that looks like so much fun. Your dogs are so beautiful Triangulum!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Thanks :) Vecna honestly was being a bit difficult but when he remembered he was capable of thinking, he did a really good job.

Engineer Lenk posted:

Kas looks pretty enthusiastic, but this picture makes me cringe a little. If y'all do decide to go ahead with agility definitely do some jump training to minimize the risk of injury.

That was literally her first time jumping so I don't think it's terribly shocking that her form is bad. We were curious to see if she would actually do a jump or if she'd be freaked out by the equipment. She's a pretty nervous dog so seeing that she was willing to interact with a weird new thing rather than bark at it and run away was nice. Both of our trainers have had good results with gridwork so now that we know she's not terrified of the equipment we'll probably start there.

RobotRob
Aug 7, 2007

Let's get weird, but not end of BSG weird.
Been lurking in this thread for a while and wanted to introduce our puppy Xander. He's going to be 6 months this week. I am curious about his growth though. He's about 45 lbs now and from everything I've read, they are usually about 10 lbs heavier at this month. He is healthy though so I guess it isn't really a big issue.

But here are some obligatory pics.

This is him when we first got him at about 9 weeks.

And here he is now.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
He is adorable :3:

And try not to stress about the growth charts too much as long as he isn't underweight, Moses was a lot smaller than whichever one I looked at, I think it was this one

I don't think Mo hit 80lbs until he was almost two years old.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Those ear floofs :3: Like Elizatits said don't stress it, if he's healthy that's all that matters. Slower growth is definitely better than getting large quickly. Vecna was 65 lbs and 23" at 6 months but he grew very rapidly and ended up with panosteitis as a result which loving sucks and we're still dealing with.

Vex at 6 mo.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Sorry for the double post but my friend's been taking so many nice pics of the dogs lately. Having photographer friends rules :3:

Basic position still needs a lot of work (and a smaller platform) but it's drastically improved this last month or so. I need to start training in front of a mirror or something because my hand position is awful.

Not to too my own horn but I've got a pretty good looking dog.

German Shepherds are supposed to be biddable, obedient dogs but I don't think Vecna got that memo

Kassie is so lean and slim compared to Vex

This is her "I'm about to make some mischief" face

Whos' afraid of ring gates? Not Kas.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
Yeah Vecna is an insanely good looking dog. I forget although I think you mentioned it, did you pick him up from germany? Also is that vest you are wearing designed for dog work specifically? I like all the pockets and now I want one.

Picture content
Two best bros

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Yeah I bought him when I was living in Germany and we moved back to the US when he was about 7 months old. It was not easy finding an airline crate big enough to contain those legs! The vest is a Hurtta obedience vest. Training vests are kind of pricey but buying one was the best thing I ever did. I actually like mine so much I bought their agility vest too because the OB one gets really warm in 90 degree weather and I'm constantly forgetting my vest when we go to class. They're practically mandatory for IPO training but if you end up using a lot of toys to train your dog or just train a lot, they're definitely worth the money. The Hurtta ones are the only ones I've found that aren't ugly as sin though.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 16:47 on Oct 7, 2014

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Yeah I bought him when I was living in Germany and we moved back to the US when he was about 7 months old. It was not easy finding an airline crate big enough to contain those legs! The vest is a Hurtta obedience vest. Training vests are kind of pricey but buying one was the best thing I ever did. I actually like mine so much I bought their agility vest too because the OB one gets really warm in 90 degree weather and I'm constantly forgetting my vest when we go to class. They're practically mandatory for IPO training but if you end up using a lot of toys to train your dog or just train a lot, they're definitely worth the money. The Hurtta ones are the only ones I've found that aren't ugly as sin though.

I seriously can not find how to buy them on that site. :confused:

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I don't believe Hurtta sells gear directly from their website, I got mine off of Amazon. If you have Prime, they're ~$30 cheaper than other websites. Just a recommendation - size up a bit, don't buy the size that fits your exact measurements. It'll fit nicely until you shove a couple balls and tugs in your pocket and then it's kind of difficult to pull the toys out quickly. If you're planning on using it for IPO training do yourself a favor and pick up a magnet ball system too. Again not cheap but invaluable for teaching heeling and positions.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That looks so awesome, thanks!!

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD
I miss this thread when it goes away here are some dogs.

He cannot sit without leaning

I trimmed her nails right after this picture her front claws grow really fast

Not my picture not my dog not a german shepherd but I thought this was pretty great

Drake_263
Mar 31, 2010
Oh my gosh them sheppy radar ears. You sure there's not a bit of fennec in there?

Skizzles
Feb 21, 2009

Live, Laugh, Love,
Poop in a box.
Miss Maggie. :3: It's cute she has a teeny spot of white on her chest. I'm noticing more and more shepherds with white on the chest. Shadow has a super thin white stripe on his, though of course he's a mutt. But I wonder why it's cropping up in some shepherds so much. I get curious about dumb poo poo.

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Skizzles posted:

Miss Maggie. :3: It's cute she has a teeny spot of white on her chest. I'm noticing more and more shepherds with white on the chest. Shadow has a super thin white stripe on his, though of course he's a mutt. But I wonder why it's cropping up in some shepherds so much. I get curious about dumb poo poo.

That's Mr. Mo, white on the chest and one white toe. Maggie doesn't have any white that I can find so I guess he got it from his dad? I am not sure though how that works.

Maggie picked herself out a new spot today. I set the chair up to take pictures of shoes but she loves it.

Sorry for the filter it didn't look that blurry on the camera.

Drake_263 posted:

Oh my gosh them sheppy radar ears. You sure there's not a bit of fennec in there?

We do have a few different kinds of foxes here and I think Kit foxes kind of look like Fennecs but I assume if Mo was a fox he would be more graceful and less lumbering and clumsy maybe

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
The WUSV Weldmeisterschaft was a few weeks ago and one of the dogs from the AMerican team did an awesome takedown during the courage test :3:

Iron von den Wölfen

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Well, we got our paperwork to put down our puppy deposit! :toot: :dance: Feels so much better that all this is moving forward! Now all we have to do is hope for a suitable pup to be born!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Finally! Congrats! Do you know if your pup will be out of Isis or Mocha?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

It'll either be Isis or the Elena x Wulf litter. It's technically a zu Treuen Handen litter, but they're doing more of a co-ownership and the people on the Wildhaus list get dibs. So ideally it'll be from Isis x Rico, but between the two Chris said chances are pretty solid there'll be a puppy for us. :3:
http://wildhauskennels.com/litters.htm

adventure in the sandbox
Nov 24, 2005

Things change

Oh yaaaay so happy for you!

Analogical
May 20, 2013

EEOD? Why not, I could use a break from work

:911:
Gf picked up a 7mo GSD/lab mix this weekend thats now adjusting to her 14mo GSD sister. Even after 8 hours of playing in the backyard they still have full energy. Hour-long fetch round, still energy. Go for a walk around the block a few times, still energy. I know GSDs like having jobs, but what kind of things can occupy them long enough to whittle their mental energy? Command repetition doesn't seem to tire them out either. They can both be passed out asleep and if I even twitch my arm they bolt awake and want to play. :doh: Any recommendations for good puzzle toys? Seen a few on amazon with mixed reviews as to plastic safety

Analogical fucked around with this message at 23:24 on Nov 18, 2014

Engineer Lenk
Aug 28, 2003

Mnogo losho e!

Analogical posted:

Gf picked up a 7mo GSD/lab mix this weekend thats now adjusting to her 14mo GSD sister. Even after 8 hours of playing in the backyard they still have full energy. Hour-long fetch round, still energy. Go for a walk around the block a few times, still energy. I know GSDs like having jobs, but what kind of things can occupy them long enough to whittle their mental energy? Command repetition doesn't seem to tire them out either. They can both be passed out asleep and if I even twitch my arm they bolt awake and want to play. :doh: Any recommendations for good puzzle toys? Seen a few on amazon with mixed reviews as to plastic safety

If you want a dog that has an off switch, you need to teach them to chill out rather than continuing to feed the energy. Any of the things you mentioned would be immediately followed by quiet time in my house the vast majority of the time (I don't have a GSD, but I do have a border collie). The only time I've seen my dog truly exhausted is after working sheep for 20 minutes on a hot day, and that lasted for all of an hour.

For mental energy activities, I like to play 'find it' with the dogs - I hide a toy in another room, then release them to go look and play with it with them when they find it. I have to handicap it or else my terrier wins every single time. Free-shaping exercises are also good for mental exercise, but it's key to keep sessions short (~5 minutes) and end it before they (or you) get frustrated.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Honestly I would abandon the idea that a walk is ever going to tire out your young GSDs. Like Lenk said, it's very important to get to work immediately on teaching the dogs to be calm inside, I'd check out matwork and work on reinforcing calm behavior inside asap. If you just keep increasing their exercise without teaching them to be calm all you will do is increase your dog's stamina and make it so they always require more and more exertion to get tired. I like to give my dogs a nice long lasting chew like a raw frozen hoof after exercising because it helps them learn to settle and lets them relieve some post-exercise stress.

As for ways to more efficiently tire out your dogs, the two best methods I've found are flirt pole and tracking or scent work. Flirt poles are nice because you can give them an intense workout very quickly and they are also a great way to work on your dog's impulse control. Scent work is very mentally taxing for a dog and you can do it literally anywhere. An easy way to start out is to hide your dog's meal all over the house or back yard and have them hunt for their meal. You can easily make this much harder by hiding their food in places that require them to crawl, climb, jump, dig, or open boxes and by hiding food both indoors and outdoors. You can also try nose work games, scent discrimination exercises, or full on tracking.

I've personally found most puzzle toys to be a waste of money though not unsafe at all. We've tried Kong wobblers, tug a jugs, buster cubes, treat dispensing balls, and probably a few more I'm forgetting and the only one that took Vecna more than 5 minutes to empty was the buster cube. The buster cube is one of the better puzzle toys but these days I stick to food hiding games (more time consuming and difficult) or very long lasting chews.

Hope that helps some, also post pictures please

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009
All this talk of dogs doing scent work and high energy activities. Meanwhile here's how mine spent her afternoon:

Queen Elizatits
May 3, 2005

Haven't you heard?
MARATHONS ARE HARD

Dr Snofeld posted:

All this talk of dogs doing scent work and high energy activities. Meanwhile here's how mine spent her afternoon:

That is one pretty girl :3:

This is my new favorite picture of Mo. I am so happy it's cool enough now for him to play outside a bit.

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Forgot to mention on here, we should be good to go with our Isis pup! :dance: :toot: She had ELEVEN pups on the 19th, 8 of which were girls. 5 sable, 3 bi color. I got an email saying I should definitely be getting my girl. :) Woohoo!

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
Rooting for you to get a bad-rear end bicolor little girl!

I doubt anyone reads this sperg poo poo but i found some cool articles about GSD conformation with a lot of fantastic illustrations and photographs so here u go

http://www.louisdonald.com/a-general-overview-of-the-german-shepherd-dog.html
http://www.gsdcouncilaustralia.org/ANKC_Extended_GSD_Standard.pdf

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

Triangulum posted:

Rooting for you to get a bad-rear end bicolor little girl!

Thanks! :D Although, my current favorite is the red collared sable. :3: I wish I could post the videos! There's a Wildhaus group on facebook, but all the stuff is set to private. They're all moving around, now. :3: But at the very least they posted the photo album on the website.

quote:

I doubt anyone reads this sperg poo poo

I do! I do! :hfive: Thanks!

The Zombie Guy
Oct 25, 2008

I've loved German Shepherd dogs since I was a kid. In my job (security), I get to see police dogs come and do building searches when there's a break-in. It always makes my night seeing the police puppies in action! :)

At the last B&E, after clearing the building, the handler asked if it was OK to have one of the cops hide inside for a training run. I handed over the keys and waited outside with the handler. We went back in, and Striker the police dog started doing his thing. Between his sniffing and panting, he was making a ton of noise. He stopped at one particular door, and started sniffing under the crack at the bottom and pawing at the knob. Then he actually held his breath for about 10 seconds. Then he started barking, and the cop came out from the door.

The cop mentioned to the handler about Striker holding his breath, and the handler says "He was listening for your breathing." I've never seen a police dog do that before.

Anyway, then I got to pet him. It was awesome.

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
I'm jealous you get to see those dogs all the time, police K9s and military working dogs are an obsession of mine. Doing fake hides is a super common technique used with search dogs to keep them from losing motivation, it's cool that you got to watch one. Next time you should ask if you can hide for the dog :)

So Wolfenstein, when do you find out which puppy is yours and when does she come home?

WolfensteinBag
Aug 7, 2003

So it was all your work?

That is so cool! I totally agree, it would be so fun to be the hider.

It feels like fooorrreeeevvveerrrr until puppy time! We should be getting her at about 9 weeks, so last weekend of February. I'm guessing it'll be a long while off until we know who, they don't finish up their formal evaluations until 8 weeks. It's possible they'll have a good idea before then, though. I'm trying to convince my husband to take a day trip to visit before then, though. :3: If I do, I'll be sure to take a million pictures and video!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Triangulum
Oct 3, 2007

by Lowtax
On monday my husband found this dog wandering around our office

Until we can find her owners, she's staying with us I guess! She's a very nice dog though 100% untrained. I'm not sure how someone could let a dog get this old without teaching her to sit and pee outside! She had months worth of dead undercoat stuck to her so we took her to the dog wash:

Much better, though her coat is still a wreck! Getting my dogs to co-exist with her has been a challenge but for a super nervous dog and a dog who likes to jump out of car windows to fight other dogs they are doing quite well. Predictably there's been some bitchiness between the girls so I've been encouraging them to ignore each. Since Vex is so DA he's has to be in obedience mode around her but he's doing a fantastic job of keeping his poo poo together. He does get a little melodramatic at times though:

In other news, Vecna and I start a group trial prep class tonight. We took a break from groups for a long time to work on his DA (spending the whole class trying to keep him from eating other dogs makes them quite unproductive...) but I think he's ready.

Triangulum fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Jan 23, 2015

• Locked thread