Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
Does anyone have a GIF from Clarence of Sumo imagining he's a general and nuking Florida off the map?

It will prove useful.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
the pinata song from clarence is strangely good

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Manofmanusernames posted:

Any body remember this gem?
Ultimate Muscle was decent in terms of shovelware animu.

But FoxBox was Fox going whole hog after their original 90s era SatAM closed shop. UM, new TMNT, Ultraman Tiga...

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Gaunab posted:

the pinata song from clarence is strangely good

I was so disappointed that they were showing the pilot over again in the guise of a new episode until that song.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

I'm substituting for an elementary school (grades 3-5, or ages 8-10 or thereabouts) librarian tomorrow, and given the weather forecast I expect that outdoor recess will be canceled. In such circumstances, students are directed either to the gym or the library, and if they go to the library they all expect to watch a movie/show/something on a big screen.

I've subbed for this librarian before and likewise dealt with indoor recess, so I know all that the library normally has on hand for these events are some Scooby Doo DVDs and like one DVD of Halloween-themed Shrek shorts. gently caress that poo poo, though, I hate watching that and students don't care much for it either. What's a properly good thing to play for kids ages 8-10 for the duration of a recess?

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

Congratulations The One Concern!!!

You're addicted to Ivory!!

and...oh my...could you please...
oh my...

Grimey Drawer

Ofaloaf posted:

I'm substituting for an elementary school (grades 3-5, or ages 8-10 or thereabouts) librarian tomorrow, and given the weather forecast I expect that outdoor recess will be canceled. In such circumstances, students are directed either to the gym or the library, and if they go to the library they all expect to watch a movie/show/something on a big screen.

I've subbed for this librarian before and likewise dealt with indoor recess, so I know all that the library normally has on hand for these events are some Scooby Doo DVDs and like one DVD of Halloween-themed Shrek shorts. gently caress that poo poo, though, I hate watching that and students don't care much for it either. What's a properly good thing to play for kids ages 8-10 for the duration of a recess?

How long is recess?

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

axleblaze posted:

How long is recess?
About 20-30 minutes, I think? There's usually no classes that visit the library right before and after lunch, so I don't keep good track of the schedule midday. :v:

Macrame_God
Sep 1, 2005

The stairs lead down in both directions.

Ofaloaf posted:

What's a properly good thing to play for kids ages 8-10 for the duration of a recess?

I'm no expert on the subject, but I feel that Phineas and Ferb is always a safe option in this regard.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

Episodes of Recess?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

Ofaloaf posted:

Illegally download Gravity Falls for them. And for you.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

If you pick Gravity Falls, keep in mind that there is a certain amount of ongoing plot throughout the whole series. I don't think it's going to ruin the experience for them, just something to keep in mind.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
They'll prolly be alright

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Well the school ended up not calling for indoor recess today, despite the temperature outside, so the exercise was somewhat moot. :v:

I ended up reading back through the thread a bit, got me all the episodes of Over The Garden Wall, and brought them along on a flash drive just in case.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006

Ofaloaf posted:

Well the school ended up not calling for indoor recess today, despite the temperature outside, so the exercise was somewhat moot. :v:

I ended up reading back through the thread a bit, got me all the episodes of Over The Garden Wall, and brought them along on a flash drive just in case.

I've got a kid so I've seen most of the kid's cartoons over the last few years, and it's definitely one of the better ones. It's very beautiful looking, almost like anime without the anime.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Goddamn, I've been reading up more on Over The Garden Wall, and I only just realized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmORatsGUC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUlKPthrag

That's the same loving singer

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Ofaloaf posted:

Goddamn, I've been reading up more on Over The Garden Wall, and I only just realized

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LmORatsGUC8

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZmUlKPthrag

That's the same loving singer

And the composer of the Love Boat theme? Also on Cartoon Network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vst6DXDnzKw

SomeJazzyRat
Nov 2, 2012

Hmmm...

...of SCIENCE! posted:

And the composer of the Love Boat theme? Also on Cartoon Network.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vst6DXDnzKw

Also did the kid show adjacent, slightly removed, song:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jSFLZ-MzIhM

And not kid show tune at all but I like this too: http://youtu.be/ljQdZEMs31g?t=1m50s

Gaunab
Feb 13, 2012
LUFTHANSA YOU FUCKING DICKWEASEL
So besides their effectiveness as a marketing tool, does anyone like the lego shows?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

Gaunab posted:

So besides their effectiveness as a marketing tool, does anyone like the lego shows?

My kids like the branded specials that come on every once in a while, like the Starwars/Marvel/DC ones. Not even they like the ones that are weekly series though.

General Wishy
May 8, 2007
I did a stint at a bookstore, and before Minecraft became all kids cared about, lots and lots of kids wanted Lego Ninjago/Chima books. So it definitely was a thing, but I don't think it is anymore.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer
I like that I've lived to see an episode of a cartoon aimed at children where a character explained the difference between Grindcore, Death Metal and Viking Metal. I guess what I'm trying to say is Gumball is a pretty amazing show.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

It seems obvious to me that cartoons are experiencing some sort of revolution lately, tackling subjects that were unthinkable for animated features to talk about even just a decade ago. I've found a timeline of American cartoons, describing how much they changed over the years, and would like to hear your opinions on the matter.
Here it is.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

I don't know, I'm not quite as enamored of the current crop of CN shows as a lot of people, but they're definitely as good as anything else on the list of Respectable Art Not For Kids Anymore western cartoons, or even, god forbid, animes (FLCL is still my favorite animated show, bite me :japan:) I like the way things are going with Kickstarter and miniseries, maybe they can revive the OVA as a format

That said though what's still missing is theatrical traditional animation, it doesn't look like that's going to rise from the grave anytime soon unfortunately. Maybe it hasn't been long enough since Disney stopped to expect people to take it up again, but animated TV just can't really do the same things movies can

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Nov 24, 2014

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

icantfindaname posted:

I don't know, I'm not quite as enamored of the current crop of CN shows as a lot of people, but they're definitely as good as anything else on the list of Respectable Art Not For Kids Anymore western cartoons, or even, god forbid, animes (FLCL is still my favorite animated show, bite me :japan:) I like the way things are going with Kickstarter and miniseries, maybe they can revive the OVA as a format

That said though what's still missing is theatrical traditional animation, it doesn't look like that's going to rise from the grave anytime soon unfortunately. Maybe it hasn't been long enough since Disney stopped to expect people to take it up again, but animated TV just can't really do the same things movies can

Yeah but FLCL is incredible.
But Clarence owns too

U.T. Raptor
May 11, 2010

Are you a pack of imbeciles!?

Gaunab posted:

I like Legends of Chima. It started off pretty mediocre, but really picked up in the second arc and has been pretty good since then.

Also, Fangar is the best villain, his voice actor is either so terrible he loops back around to great or he is intentionally hamming the poo poo out of the role, either way it's wonderful :allears:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

icantfindaname posted:

There's probably a thesis to be written in how anime and western animation went in completely opposite directions around the same time, with anime becoming more pandering and narrow until catering to literal pedophiles became the norm while western animation became more accessible and open to outside demographics to huge success.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
I think western animation is extremely narrow and demographically limited. 99% of it is garbage for children, with a handful of (very recent) gems that are still for children but also appeal to an older audience. Then there's adult animation, which is extremely formulaic and narrow and also usually has cheap low-effort animation, almost like it's only animated ironically.

There's probably more good anime than good western animation just because there's so much more anime created every year. There's also a lot more garbage anime for the same reason.

El Tortuga
Apr 27, 2007

ĄTerrible es el Guerrero de Tortuga!

Bass Bottles posted:

I think western animation is extremely narrow and demographically limited. 99% of it is garbage for children, with a handful of (very recent) gems that are still for children but also appeal to an older audience. Then there's adult animation, which is extremely formulaic and narrow and also usually has cheap low-effort animation, almost like it's only animated ironically.

There's probably more good anime than good western animation just because there's so much more anime created every year. There's also a lot more garbage anime for the same reason.

I'm 100% serious when I say that "Over the Garden Wall" could be looked at as a mile-stone for Western animation. It's a real turning point. Television-animation that exists as a beautifully-animated, well-told story that could be enjoyed by anyone.

masteraero
Jun 2, 2013

Steven, are you telling LIES?
The thing that made Over the Garden Wall so great for me is that the entire thing felt timeless. They nailed the 1820's Americana tone and atmosphere so well, that if someone told me it was based off one of Washington Irving's short stories or some obscure folk tale, I would believe them without a second thought.

icantfindaname
Jul 1, 2008

...of SCIENCE! posted:

There's probably a thesis to be written in how anime and western animation went in completely opposite directions around the same time, with anime becoming more pandering and narrow until catering to literal pedophiles became the norm while western animation became more accessible and open to outside demographics to huge success.

I had thought the first response to my mention of anime would be screaming about pedos, it was actually the second

Mission Accomplished

I'm not going to get dragged into defending anime. I do think it's sort of funny though how the people who hate anime the most seem to not actually have watched any or be familiar with it at all outside of second hand stories on the internet / extrapolating from 4chan / maybe watching a Miyazaki movie or two. Like if I asked you for concrete examples of shows throughout the years as examples of anime becoming more pandering I don't actually think you could name any.

icantfindaname fucked around with this message at 01:07 on Nov 26, 2014

Tartarus Sauce
Jan 16, 2006

friendship is magic
in a pony paradise
don't you judge me
I am so glad you guys recommended Over the Garden Wall, because I looked up one episode, immediately loved the style, the voice-acting, the tone, and the music, and binge-watched the whole miniseries in one sitting.

I've been trying to rope other people into watching it now.

Bass Bottles
Jan 14, 2006

BOSS BATTLES DID NOTHING WRONG
Over the Garden Wall is amazing. Cartoon Network is really pushing western animation further than anyone else these days.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Kind of weird that CN had Adventure Time off for so long and now are running through a bunch of episodes this week.

axelblaze
Oct 18, 2006

oh my...

Grimey Drawer

muscles like this? posted:

Kind of weird that CN had Adventure Time off for so long and now are running through a bunch of episodes this week.

It's probably because they know that kids have the week off.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

The new ReBoot series is now officially A Thing: http://www.themarysue.com/reboot-reboot-title/

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Will Paranorman on the Disney channel censer the slam dunk gay joke? Let's find out!

E: they didn't

frank.club fucked around with this message at 01:56 on Nov 27, 2014

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
Slam Dunk Gay Joke? They made a joke about Slam Dunk? :confused:

...of SCIENCE!
Apr 26, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

ConanThe3rd posted:

Slam Dunk Gay Joke? They made a joke about Slam Dunk? :confused:

The entire movie is a parable about why persecuting people for being different is bad, and then at the end when Norman's sister finally works up the nerve to ask the jock from school she's been crushing on for the entire movie out to see a chick flick he says that it sounds fun and that his boyfriend loves chick flicks. It's a great gag and also immediately drives home the movie's theme, the fact that it pissed off so many Christians is just icing.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

...of SCIENCE! posted:

The entire movie is a parable about why persecuting people for being different is bad, and then at the end when Norman's sister finally works up the nerve to ask the jock from school she's been crushing on for the entire movie out to see a chick flick he says that it sounds fun and that his boyfriend loves chick flicks. It's a great gag and also immediately drives home the movie's theme, the fact that it pissed off so many Christians is just icing.

You don't even know the half of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

:lol:

quote:

Nudity: Shirtless character.

Is this site like a more ridiculous version of CAPAlert?