Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Marxalot posted:

Those little rails on the back are strong enough to shove the bike around? I'm always afraid I might break something if I tug on it while moving the bike.

I usually lift from under the tail, as it's easier to get both hands under when you're squatting low to lift with your legs than if you're trying to grab the handles. I've pulled it around by the pillion grab handles too, though. No issues so far. I assume if they're sturdy enough for a person to hang onto for support, they can probably support a couple hundred pounds or so of force.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
I rock the bike up on the kick stand and pivot it with those rear handles so yeah, they're okay.

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011

HotCanadianChick posted:

I lift and move the back end of my FZ1 all the time with no issue when parking it along the side of my garage (gotta get it close enough to the wall so that I don't hit it with the car when coming or going in it) but once I made the mistake of trying to drag the rear end of the Goldwing away from the shelves it's parked in front of and nearly gave myself a hernia.

Some bikes are harder than others to shove around. :(

I've been doing like 4x a week maybe more for several months now, I don't know what I did wrong, but boy do I regret it

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.
Welp, almost high sided today.

I was riding down a straight road at night doing around 40-50 mph. I didn't see the stop sign until I was almost on top of it. Braked hard and the back end locked up immediately and began fishtailing. I ended up sliding about halfway into the intersection before- I think- turning the front wheel to the right just in time for the back wheel to gain traction again. Shot me right onto the road in the direction I'd been hoping to go, so it ended up working out pretty well. Still a butt pucker moment and I'm really glad I'm on a bastard supermoto or I'd probably have crashed (assuming these things are the anti-grav machines you all claim they are).

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
But did you say "whooo!"??

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.

nsaP posted:

But did you say "whooo!"??

Once I verified that a car coming around the corner wouldn't flatten me, yes, I yelled "whooooooooooooooooooo".

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
Welcome to the fun stage of riding, enjoy your stay and try not to die.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

Just not intentionally.
:hfive: I can't wait till I can get a second bike so I can start trying to push myself a lot more. Right now I don't feel comfortable risking the safety of my bike since it is my only transportation. :sigh:

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
Two assassination attempts within a minute last night, both taxis. One pulled a U-turn across a junction right in front of me (and had the temerity to beep his horn at me). The other (an Addison Lee minicab for those in London who know how loving awful they are) was just chilling in the middle lane as I was in the right lane, about to turn right - then suddenly simultaneously pulled right and put his indicator on, and responded to my simultaneous horn and high beam (I loving knew he was going to do it so had already backed off) by drifiting lazily back into the centre lane and carrying on forward, still with his indicator on.

To complete the trifecta about a minute before that I almost had the dumbest crash of my life - exiting a roundabout that I've used a thousand times before, at no particular speed, I suddenly realised I was a tiny bit wide and - just for a fraction of a second - totally froze and fixated on the outside of the corner. Luckily I was already enough around the corner that it didn't matter but weirdly that one shook me up more than the two taxi encounters, because it was just so loving stupid on my part.

HAMAS HATE BOAT
Jun 5, 2010
A few days ago someone almost took me out. It was night, wet roads. I was ahead of the rest of traffic and he was oncoming, turned left in front of me. I grabbed the brakes but I think I was late in reacting and had i been travelling a second or two faster, i'd be a red smear. Well, with aerostich and all other gear i'd have a fighting chance, but i was probably doing 50 and he wasn't taking his time, a T-bone would have been a bad day.

I commute by bike and ride every day. I've gotten used to poo poo Seattle drivers, and frequently find myself correcting for threats before i know they're there consciously, but this case was just a pair of headlights that dove across my path. I've become accustomed to adjusting lane position for distant threats before they become imminent and having enough time for brakes to mitigate medium ones. But riding home today and thinking about what had happened I realized that my reflex reaction in this case put me at risk. I have ABS and great (front) tire and could have put my brakes to a far greater test than i did that event, but thinking back, I realized that i should have been more prepared to swerve to aim behind his path of travel but was taken by surprise because i haven't had such a close call in a while.

Is there a good way to train reaction towards swerving? My survival reactions toward the normal poo poo drivers out here have served me well but i think i've gotten a bit complacent and over reliant on braking because I've been predicting threats before they really happen and have plenty of time to react, so I havent had to worry about Surprise, you're hosed! type situations.

I can see i need to do some braking drills but how can you train to swerve around a shock threat to life? Particularly on poo poo roads. I used to practice "swerving" around the HOV diamonds but they're regular and predictable, I'm having difficulty figuring out how to train reaction.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?
As with anything else I want to practice, I just incorporate it into my ride. You can't really simulate reacting to something but you can practice braking and swerving. Just do it with imaginary obstacles when you're alone on the road. Slowly start leaving yourself less distance in a hard brake before swerving. Soon you'll get down when to brake and when to maneuver, and also how to not freak out too much about the road conditions and just deal with it.

I was messing around by going fast then practicing my panic stops a bit back, but this time the road was repaired shittily and I was right on the crease in a "have to brake well or go into the intersection" situation. Doing this many times before had me trained to relax and not make sudden movements, and also to let off when I locked em up at the very end. I'd also recommend practicing in a parking lot where you can learn to lock the brake and release it. I didn't learn this in a parking lot and my first lesson was my first big crash. Now it's a 'whoooo!' moment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8re2e44Ihg

sildargod
Oct 25, 2010
I didn't crash, nor did the guy in front of me, but it was a very very near thing.

Riding to the office, in the "fast" lane, when another bike accelerated between me and the car to my left. This is pretty much par for the course, so I wasn't particularly surprised or put out. He then took a gap between the cars ahead of us and moved to the center lane. At this point, he was legally positioned. About 6 seconds later, approaching an offramp, a toyota hilux to his right decided that he HAD to get off the highway right then and there and without any warning, swerved rapidly into the center lane, with the clear intention of hopping the next lane and taking the offramp.

The bike ahead was thankfully able to react and move aside in time with no more than his mirror bumped out of place, but it was an absurdly near thing and completely reckless on the part of the car. Seat puckering stuff, which was made infuriating by the fact that the shitheel in the car didn't seem remotely phased by the fact that he had almost hit a bike. When I passed him, he was happily fiddling with his radio and ignoring the world around him.

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
I have been riding my bike daily now as my commuter and have been really impressed with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Fast to warm up, decently sticky when cold, decent in rain and very sticky when warm. I have become over confident with them. This morning I came up to a tight quick right - left turn that I always ride through when my tires were still cold. I hit it confidently at speed and tucked the front end on the transition to the left. As I hit the max lean to the left, I felt the bars flop over and the front end slid. I gripped the bars and accelerated a bit to get the weight off the front and saved the slide. Bars came back around and the bike came up and I finished my commute. It happened all so fast. I'm going to be way more careful about pushing the tires adhesion limit from now on.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Yuns posted:

I have been riding my bike daily now as my commuter and have been really impressed with the Pirelli Diablo Rosso II. Fast to warm up, decently sticky when cold, decent in rain and very sticky when warm. I have become over confident with them. This morning I came up to a tight quick right - left turn that I always ride through when my tires were still cold. I hit it confidently at speed and tucked the front end on the transition to the left. As I hit the max lean to the left, I felt the bars flop over and the front end slid. I gripped the bars and accelerated a bit to get the weight off the front and saved the slide. Bars came back around and the bike came up and I finished my commute. It happened all so fast. I'm going to be way more careful about pushing the tires adhesion limit from now on.

Road tyres (at least ones that work like at all in the wet) do not need time to warm up if the temperature is above freezing. You probably just hit something slippery on the road.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Is this on your 1 month old rc390?

Yuns
Aug 19, 2000

There is an idea of a Yuns, some kind of abstraction, but there is no real me, only an entity, something illusory, and though I can hide my cold gaze and you can shake my hand and feel flesh gripping yours and maybe you can even sense our lifestyles are probably comparable: I simply am not there.
Yup on the RC390.

Angryboot
Oct 23, 2005

Grimey Drawer
Good on you for saving it. Man I'd be so pissed if I rashed up a new bike like that.

Renaissance Robot
Oct 10, 2010

Bite my furry metal ass
Beep boop I'm a dummy. Nearly got myself t-boned turning right at a set of lights (which I use all the time but don't often turn right at) because I forgot that they don't have a separate green for right turns and make you wait until oncoming traffic has dried up before you can go.

So of course light goes green and I take off intending to sail through the turn, only remembering at the last second to look up and realise I was about to ride right across the front of an oncoming car. :shepicide:

Wasn't even really a near miss, I didn't have to panic brake or owt, it was just really embarrassing.

Renaissance Robot fucked around with this message at 18:29 on May 23, 2015

Koruthaiolos
Nov 21, 2002

That reminds me of a couple days ago when I blew straight through a stop sign that's less than 100 ft from my doorstep. They recently installed these stupid speed bumps and I was riding on the edge of the road to avoid them and just totally forgot there was a stop sign. Felt really stupid and hope none of my neighbors saw. The whole point of the speed bumps were to stop people running the signs so I don't know what they'll do next if they think people are still doing it.

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Wasn't really an almost crash, but I had to do a pretty intense emergency brake today and lost grip on both my wheels for the first time (not seriously, just a little). Felt like I was riding on butter all of a sudden.

It actually felt really awesome :buddy: even though it means I really need to practice high speed emergency braking.

Yousomuscle
Sep 13, 2012
Last spring on my 250, I had only owned a motorcycle for maybe two weeks, and was starting on a steep hill with a gigantic construction truck behind me. I couldn't find where the clutch let go, so I kept panic-revving the engine while rolling backwards into the maw of this horrible truck. I finally give up trying to be careful and dumped the clutch at ~11,000 rpm. Baby's first wheelie, and by some miracle I was able to get the front wheel down and not launch my bike, without me on it, across the intersection and into oncoming traffic.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram
I trusted someone's turn signal today. :negative:

It was at a light. I was turning left, she was turning left, or so I thought. And I almost always wait to see someone actually turn, but no tonight. I feel very stupid.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!
Total noob poo poo today that made me feel embarrassed. Every used car I've bought, and when I bought my scooter, first place I took it to was a mechanic for a once over to make sure everything was fine. Did I do that with my first motorcycle? No, of course not, even if the thing sounds like a rock tumbler when pulling away from a stop.

Today, a friend and I made a long ride out to a village on the shore, get all the way back to our home town, and that's when it happens; loud rear end clunk, suddenly throttle input doesn't correspond to forward movement. Pull over, take a look, nothing looks out of place; play with things a bit, seems okay again. Driving away slowly, get halfway into an intersection, going about 20km/h and another loud clunk and my rear tire locks up. Quickly push the bike to the side of the road before I get creamed by a taxi. My bike has a cover over the chain, so I can't actually see it, but a helpful passerby got a mechanic to come out and look. I may be new to bikes but when he pulled that cover off even i could tell that poo poo was loose as hell. A bit humbling when thinking in retrospect about all the times I've had the bike up to 100km/h on that chain.

At least now my motorcycle doesn't sound like a rock tumbler anymore (not to mention 1st gear actually being smooth, isn't jerky when pulling away from a stop, shifting doesn't sound like a gremlin wailing on the transmission with a mallet, and the bike seems overall quieter; but now there's a slight ticking noise I'm hearing and I'm not sure what it is).

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

The ticking is the time bomb attached to your wallet.

CovfefeCatCafe
Apr 11, 2006

A fresh attitude
brewed daily!

Digital_Jesus posted:

The ticking is the time bomb attached to your wallet.

I did have a plastic sound to it. My ATM card is going to get a lot of use isn't it?

M42
Nov 12, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRGW3EaBxU

Doesn't look like much on video, but it was pretty wild. My buddy in front saw me in his mirrors and was certain I'd crash.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL
that's not almost crashing that's just havin' a good time

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Honestly, it's happened at least once every time I've been out with my friends last month (we ride a lot of gravelly backroads). And it was fuckin fun each time. I want a dirtbike/sumo even more now.

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

I find myself laughing like a tool every time my rear kicks out like that. Good times.

nsaP
May 4, 2004

alright?

Razzled posted:

that's not almost crashing that's just havin' a good time

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

almost dropped my bike the other day. turning left at low speed, lost traction on the front wheel over some rocks (not gravel, rocks okay). wobbled a bit, put my left foot down dirtbike style and managed to stay up. it was... embarrassing. anyway I think it happened because i was looking at the rocks on the ground and not the road ahead

Apple2o
Mar 25, 2009

by Pragmatica

(and can't post for 9 years!)

New rider here, had my first really close call at around 450 miles clocked.

Had some guy pull out of the left turn lane suddenly, straight into my lane when I was probably going 45-50 into a green light. There was enough time to react because I was cautious when his car was angled for it; but I didn't expect him to gun it like that.

I started to go for the horn but realized it was too late anyways and used the hand fully for the maneuver instead. Swerved into the lane next to me and back in a pretty smooth motion, probably could have reached out and touched his car. It was also probably the furthest I have ever leaned on my bike. The "holy poo poo" feeling hit me after the fact but during the almost-crash it was pure focus. Forgot to flip him off though.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver

M42 posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4gRGW3EaBxU

Doesn't look like much on video, but it was pretty wild. My buddy in front saw me in his mirrors and was certain I'd crash.

Does nobody else have a giant carabiner on their key with 10+ other keys on it (6 of which are no longer useful/relevent) some sort of novelty keyring and a mini torch??

Tanbo
Nov 19, 2013

No, because it scratches up your triple tree. I keep my key on a separate ring from the rest. Having a heavy keyring can also gently caress up your ignition cylinder. Quick disconnects work too if it's not too long.

Tanbo fucked around with this message at 12:57 on Jun 30, 2015

M42
Nov 12, 2012

Ditto on the scratching triple part.

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

I wouldn't call it almost crashing as much as almost awkwardly falling over. I was going on an offramp that sharply decreases radius while going up a hill. No problem, I do this poo poo all the time. I'm a gear too high, but it'll lug it out just fine. Only today I was two up with my girlfriend on a Ninja 250. I made it, but felt like a total dorkmachine.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Apple2o posted:

New rider here, had my first really close call at around 450 miles clocked.

Had some guy pull out of the left turn lane suddenly, straight into my lane when I was probably going 45-50 into a green light. There was enough time to react because I was cautious when his car was angled for it; but I didn't expect him to gun it like that.

I started to go for the horn but realized it was too late anyways and used the hand fully for the maneuver instead. Swerved into the lane next to me and back in a pretty smooth motion, probably could have reached out and touched his car. It was also probably the furthest I have ever leaned on my bike. The "holy poo poo" feeling hit me after the fact but during the almost-crash it was pure focus. Forgot to flip him off though.

Engrain those reflexes and practice emergency braking. You did good with the anticipation, preping for the bad move. Next question is could you have pre-emptively moved to avoid that situation so you wouldn't have had to swerve as aggressively?

VERTiG0
Jul 11, 2001

go move over bro
Riding to a bison farm outside of town, and during the transition from paved sideroad to gravel laneway I had the front brakes still applied, it stepped out and I nearly shat myself as I threw my right leg down to save it.

Pucker factor 10.

500excf type r
Mar 7, 2013

I'm as annoying as the high-pitched whine of my motorcycle, desperately compensating for the lack of substance in my life.
I didn't think your kind used front brakes. What did your fiance say about it when you got to her farm?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tirinal
Feb 5, 2007
Couldn't sleep at 5am, so obviously the answer was to say gently caress it and go ride the skyline/la honda twisties. Am at nearly full lean midway into an incline turn when down the road come four cyclists riding two to a lane.

If any of you took the initiative to do some quick math and found that two of the cyclists are in my lane, top marks.

I could have tried filtering through them, but I had no idea what evasive maneuvers they'd try so instead I just righted the bike and came to a screeching halt in the opposite lane. Figured them hitting me was less likely to kill anybody than me hitting them. They slowed, then just rode by without stopping.

Apparently early morning hours makes everyone think they're the only ones on the road.

Beautiful views, though. A sea of fog.

tirinal fucked around with this message at 20:36 on Jul 4, 2015

• Locked thread