Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Blazing Ownager
Jun 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Honestly this has nothing on the "glass in the gasoline line causes a church bus to gain speed and ramp like a stunt car" and "A single zombie causes Lori to spin-flip her vehicle through the air."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Blazing Ownager posted:

and "A single zombie causes Lori to spin-flip her vehicle through the air."
Oh Season 2. :allears:

GrAviTy84
Nov 25, 2004

To be fair, I don't think I've ever wanted a character to die on a show so bad before Lori. I think I cheered when she flipped that car.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

it is both a monkey and a boombox
Holy poo poo both sides of this argument are loving stupid. You shouldn't feel the need to vehemently defend a tv shows realism or lack thereof and you also really shouldn't get so loving hung up on the stupid car falling off the bridge. Who gives a poo poo?

Pulp Can Move
Oct 4, 2012
Imagine a van on the edge of a bridge. Say a group of zombies is sent to the back of the van and starts shaking it. The van falls off the bridge and lands on its wheels, zombies plop onto the roof like lemmings, and you can't even laugh because the physics were all wrong.

Autism works the same way.

Charliegrs
Aug 10, 2009
Am I the only one that secretly wishes a huge tank zombie (like in the videogames) would come out of nowhere and scare the daylights out of everyone and they have a really hard time killing it? Yeah it's probably just me.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Half the posters in this forum have been made up. This website is a goddamn ghost town.

Charliegrs posted:

Am I the only one that secretly wishes a huge tank zombie (like in the videogames) would come out of nowhere and scare the daylights out of everyone and they have a really hard time killing it? Yeah it's probably just me.

I take it that you didn't see the exchange in the previous thread about zombie evolution.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I'll be honest when that scene first graced my eyeballs my first thought was "oh, the back of the van was heavy with equipment and that's why it righted itself as it fell".

My second thought was, of course, IT'S RAINING MEN!

Slow News Day
Jul 4, 2007

Charliegrs posted:

Left 4 Dead had the right idea imo.

QwertySanchez
Jun 19, 2009

a wacky guy
It wouldn't be so bad if the shot from inside the van hadn't made it look like it was gonna land upside down, you can see the van's shadow on the ground through the wind screen, I was honestly expecting the van to land on it's roof. I wouldn't have minded if it landed on the roof and some how they survived and just crawled out. Even with the van as squished as it looks in the first gif. But apparently I'm not allowed to complain about this because zombies.

edit: I'll clarify, I wouldn't be bothered with the van landing on it's wheels if they'd just used a different shot, just keep the camera shot inside the van pointed at Caryl until touch down, rather than out the window so we can figure out the van's orientation.

liquorsicc posted:

If Hershel showed up alive and well next episode in the church with no explanation, you'd just have to accept that, because it's a comicbook zombie show, goon!

I would actually be okay with this. Hell if Hershel fell of a bridge he could land any way he wanted, too.

edit: and the weird part is while I was editing this post I had a thought about it, and honestly if Hershel did show up with no explaination, or any other character who we saw die, I really wouldn't mind as much as the van's landing. That's hosed up.

QwertySanchez fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Nov 18, 2014

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
that van shot reminded me of Harrison falling on the treadmill in Dexter

beyond that it was always cool to see lots of wrecked city footage. I really want to see like, what the gently caress is Taipei or London or Moscow like at this point in the story

Wandle Cax
Dec 15, 2006

QwertySanchez posted:

It wouldn't be so bad if the shot from inside the van hadn't made it look like it was gonna land upside down, you can see the van's shadow on the ground through the wind screen, I was honestly expecting the van to land on it's roof. I wouldn't have minded if it landed on the roof and some how they survived and just crawled out. Even with the van as squished as it looks in the first gif. But apparently I'm not allowed to complain about this because zombies.

edit: I'll clarify, I wouldn't be bothered with the van landing on it's wheels if they'd just used a different shot, just keep the camera shot inside the van pointed at Caryl until touch down, rather than out the window so we can figure out the van's orientation.

The whole point of the interior shot was to show the ground approaching, there would be no point to have the camera pointing backwards at the characters. The van was always meant to be shown landing on its wheels so they could do the falling zombies joke. We're meant to believe the van flipped in air to land on its wheels. They filmed a van falling on its wheels with the intention of cutting it with another shot filmed of the van tipping off the edge with the intention of cutting it together. The end result for whatever reason was somewhat clumsy. The end.

Rocksicles
Oct 19, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
This thread went from an all time high to dog poo poo, in 4 pages.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

Yeah but who pushed the van over the edge?

Schneider Inside Her
Aug 6, 2009

Please bitches. If nothing else I am a gentleman
Shut it down

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

It's been 4.5 seasons and they're right back in Atlanta where they started. :v:

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

It's not like they had any actually plans to get far away from Atlanta or to somewhere else specific. That's never been a stated goal nor has there been a real reason to do it besides the CDC trip, Abe's DC mission, and a general search for supplies and safety.

People looking for something the show doesn't do, has never done, and has never shown an interest in doing is the major problem with this thread. The van thing was kind of stupid and doesn't make any real sense. But it's Season 5 of a show that has never really cared about tactical realism so if you still haven't come to terms with that and made peace with it than it begs the question why you're still watching. Or more it begs the question why you complain about the same problem it's had for five years as if you somehow expect it to change just because it annoys a subsect of fans like yourself. I mean, people were complaining during the pilot that Rick shouldn't have survived alone in his hospital bed. But people are still complaining about the same basic writing choice that has been on display since the first seconds of the show.

People looking for the show to do things it doesn't want to do or complaining about elements of the show that have been there since Day 1 is how we get people wanting zombies to evolve so they put up more of a fight or people upset EVERY TIME that a fast paced series of episodes is followed by a bunch of slow character episodes before another fast paced series of episodes. This is the show you've been watching for five years. At some point if you don't stop complaining about the same stuff that ain't gonna change you're just a grumpy old man.

Lycus
Aug 5, 2008

Evolved flying zombies would've made the van scene so much more perilous, we wouldn't have had time to think about how it landed.

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The van thing is so simple, it's possessed by a cat ghost.

This will be important later in the season.

Wyatt Derp
Jul 9, 2014

Blue Lives matter
Next week's episode should pick up the three week flashback...

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

STAC Goat posted:

It's not like they had any actually plans to get far away from Atlanta or to somewhere else specific. That's never been a stated goal nor has there been a real reason to do it besides the CDC trip, Abe's DC mission, and a general search for supplies and safety.

People looking for something the show doesn't do, has never done, and has never shown an interest in doing is the major problem with this thread. The van thing was kind of stupid and doesn't make any real sense. But it's Season 5 of a show that has never really cared about tactical realism so if you still haven't come to terms with that and made peace with it than it begs the question why you're still watching. Or more it begs the question why you complain about the same problem it's had for five years as if you somehow expect it to change just because it annoys a subsect of fans like yourself. I mean, people were complaining during the pilot that Rick shouldn't have survived alone in his hospital bed. But people are still complaining about the same basic writing choice that has been on display since the first seconds of the show.

People looking for the show to do things it doesn't want to do or complaining about elements of the show that have been there since Day 1 is how we get people wanting zombies to evolve so they put up more of a fight or people upset EVERY TIME that a fast paced series of episodes is followed by a bunch of slow character episodes before another fast paced series of episodes. This is the show you've been watching for five years. At some point if you don't stop complaining about the same stuff that ain't gonna change you're just a grumpy old man.

Nah it was just an observation really.

DivvyO
May 21, 2001
Copa & Maxixe!

TOOT BOOT posted:

We all know it was the guy who drove the zombies to the prison in Season 3. [splioer]IT WAS HIS VAN[/spioler]

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

TOOT BOOT posted:

Andrea :colbert:

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe
Only reason I picked up on the magic van moment was that the rest of the episode was by comparison really solid.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Next time anyone feels the need to say what they would or wouldn't do in a zombie apocalypse, remind yourself of that time you spent a full day losing your poo poo over how a van fell on a TV show.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

She should've been driving that van and been a villain on Big G's side. That would've been dope.

CelticPredator fucked around with this message at 13:48 on Nov 18, 2014

Urdnot Fire
Feb 13, 2012

TOOT BOOT posted:

The deer.

Libertine
Jun 21, 2004

When I die, I hope they say I made the eSports industry a better place than I made millions of dollars.
I thought there was some reason this thread blew up so hard this week and it's just pages and pages of people arguing about van physics. Jesus.

It was cool to get to see Atlanta again, the episode was pretty good but the pacing was a bit slow, and it felt forced that Team Caryl/Darol seemed to never check behind them while they were getting stalked but I get that the drama has to come from somewhere since we already knew the ultimate outcome. It was frustrating that it ended with no payoff on the promised storyline because we already knew from (Ep3?) that Daryl returns to the Church and Carol ends up in the Hospital, and all we got to see at the end of this was them once again heading in the respective directions. I guess the reveal is that Noah is with Daryl, when I had kind of assumed that Daryl would be returning with one of the women at least.

My DVR didn't snag the next time on, but I know there's only like a few episodes left in this portion of the season, so I'm assuming next week will be just gassing around and then the midseason finale will be hospital siege.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

I would agree that I was a little annoyed that the story didn't move forward a bit from what we'd seen, even if it had just been five minutes at the end of the episode. However, I can't be too mad because I think the setting was really cool for this episode. Other than the first couple episodes we haven't really seen much about what surviving in a major city entails. The scene where the two of them are resting in the alley and Carol mentions that Grady is just a few blocks away, but the way the line is delivered makes it clear that it may as well be 10 miles really makes you appreciate how much of a struggle making any sort of movement at all is in a place that infested.

It's also just really fascinating for two characters who have seen some of the most significant changes of anyone in the group to be brought full circle like that.

lament.cfg
Dec 28, 2006

we have such posts
to show you

I liked this episode, and most of this season, a lot simply for the fact that they're using large outdoor set pieces again.

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."

Das Boo posted:

Next time anyone feels the need to say what they would or wouldn't do in a zombie apocalypse, remind yourself of that time you spent a full day losing your poo poo over how a van fell on a TV show.

yup.

Whatever. it was about 5 seconds worth of lovely editing in an overall solid episode.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

Magical van is the new jumping the shark.

euphronius
Feb 18, 2009

TOOT BOOT posted:

Darryl put it into drive. Please watch the show.

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Libertine posted:

My DVR didn't snag the next time on, but I know there's only like a few episodes left in this portion of the season, so I'm assuming next week will be just gassing around and then the midseason finale will be hospital siege.

Looked to me next week will be about Carl and Michonne at the church after Rick leaves on the hospital mission (that they will show next week).

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I bet you all would be bitching about how they wouldn't survive a van landing on its roof or some other equally dumb argument about the realism of the stunt.

Move on.

speshl guy
Dec 11, 2012
This season started off with so much momentum but the way it's set up and presented removes almost all of it. Like other posters have said, we've known for several episodes where Daryl and Carol are going to end up, so that made this episode a big slog (not to mention the previous few episodes not including Abe's have been pretty slow going as well).

Focusing on just a few characters per episode means some plots get put on hold for a month. I don't understand why they have to do all of this unnecessary nonlinear storytelling when they can just go the Lost route where you cut from what one character is doing one place to what another is doing elsewhere. It opens doors for episodes to have a overarching theme or purpose and keeps the momentum going for those of us twiddling our thumbs waiting 2 weeks for Daryl and Carol to get to the spots we know they're going to get to.

Who gives a poo poo how a van falls.

Cingulate
Oct 23, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I wonder if this thread will still have 3 pics of that van falling off that bridge on every page on Saturday.

PantsBandit
Oct 26, 2007

speshl guy posted:

This season started off with so much momentum but the way it's set up and presented removes almost all of it. Like other posters have said, we've known for several episodes where Daryl and Carol are going to end up, so that made this episode a big slog (not to mention the previous few episodes not including Abe's have been pretty slow going as well).

Focusing on just a few characters per episode means some plots get put on hold for a month. I don't understand why they have to do all of this unnecessary nonlinear storytelling when they can just go the Lost route where you cut from what one character is doing one place to what another is doing elsewhere. It opens doors for episodes to have a overarching theme or purpose and keeps the momentum going for those of us twiddling our thumbs waiting 2 weeks for Daryl and Carol to get to the spots we know they're going to get to.

Who gives a poo poo how a van falls.

See I get where you're coming from but I think it just comes down to personal preference. Like, we knew Daryl would end up back at the camp and Carol would end up in the hospital but, personally, I wanted to see that story of how they got to that point. I didn't feel like it was a wasted episode just because technically the story didn't progress past what we've seen. I think I would've been more annoyed if they'd just glossed over the trip back to Atlanta.

Mazzagatti2Hotty
Jan 23, 2012

JON JONES APOLOGIST #3
I loved that they were constantly being hounded by zombies in Atlanta. Anytime they stopped for more than a minute or so, they had to deal with a large group pursuing them. It really drives home what Rick said in Season 2 on the radio to Morgan, that they city belongs to "them" now.

I also liked that Noah wasn't just jetting to save his own rear end. He was willing to risk his own life to get the weapons he needed to try and rescue Beth on his own.

PantsBandit posted:

See I get where you're coming from but I think it just comes down to personal preference. Like, we knew Daryl would end up back at the camp and Carol would end up in the hospital but, personally, I wanted to see that story of how they got to that point. I didn't feel like it was a wasted episode just because technically the story didn't progress past what we've seen. I think I would've been more annoyed if they'd just glossed over the trip back to Atlanta.

My thoughts exactly. I don't understand the seemingly common sentiment that "We didn't see any events that followed the previous end-of-episode cliffhangers" = "Nothing happened."

Mazzagatti2Hotty fucked around with this message at 16:01 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActusRhesus
Sep 18, 2007

"Perhaps the fact the defendant had to be dragged out of the courtroom while declaring 'Death to you all, a Jihad on the court' may have had something to do with the revocation of his bond. That or calling the judge a bald-headed cock-sucker. Either way."
Noah unleashing zombies on them = not cool.

I would have shot him.

• Locked thread