Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

the truth posted:

The final Jeanne fight in the first Bayonetta is pretty much ensuring that I will not finish the game. It's too bad, because there has been so much :frogsiren: going on and I want to see what kind of crazy stuff happens next.

Try using the sword. If you have the time, charge it before attacking and it will do a ton of damage. If you keep the button pressed you can actually turn into a cat without loosing the charge, which lets you do hit and run attacks. And remember to dodge dodge dodge. Especially if you don't have the Moon parry item.

Otherwise, in my experience it pays of to be really aggessive and not let her breathe. Watch out for her weaves and you should be OK.

Renoistic fucked around with this message at 13:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Renoistic posted:

If you keep the button pressed you can actually turn into a cat without loosing the charge,

WHAT

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
It works in 2, as well.

Looper
Mar 1, 2012

Dodge Offset is a mechanic almost as flexible as Bayonetta herself

vvv dude this was just last page, try to keep up...

Looper fucked around with this message at 13:10 on Nov 18, 2014

Light Gun Man
Oct 17, 2009

toEjaM iS oN
vaCatioN

Lipstick Apathy

Macaluso posted:

Ya know it probably wouldn't kill Nintendo to make some of the Toads black actually

Maybe the mushroom-hat colors are toad ethnicity.

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.

I would never have beaten the hidden boss without that technique :)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

The sweep combo is PPPKKK, so go nuts with that. It starts from the first kick and goes til the last one. Shuraba is a really good weapon against her, so I'd suggest that and Scarborough Fair. Also since you're most likely playing on Wii U, feel free to equip the Link costume and get the parry move for free. Just tap the left stick in the direction of an attack as it's about to connect, and you'll block the attack and possibly even activate Witch Time.

Dr. VooDoo
May 4, 2006

How possible would it be for Nintendo to make it so people can set up private, invite only communities? I'd love for there to be a goon only general community where drawings of dicks could roam as free as they once did in swapnote with sub communities for specific games

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Dr. VooDoo posted:

How possible would it be for Nintendo to make it so people can set up private, invite only communities? I'd love for there to be a goon only general community where drawings of dicks could roam as free as they once did in swapnote with sub communities for specific games

Possible, but not really conducive to a kid-friendly environment, so it'll never happen.

Long John Power
Sep 11, 2001

Jonas Albrecht posted:

I just got my Wii U, but don't currently have a wireless connection. Rather than get a router, I'm considering getting the ethernet adapter instead. However, I've read a couple of discussions where people are getting a better connection via wireless routers, and I'm curious as to what the thread would recommend.

Nintendo actually recommend the ethernet adapter for smash.

I switched to it recently for Mario Kart and everything seems a lot better.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I don't know if smash is as sensitive to it as traditional fighting games, but please don't play fighting games on a wireless connection.

Tempura Wizard
Sep 15, 2006

spending all
spending
spending all my time
I looked in the OP and didn't see it, so: is there a known go-to external hard drive for the Wii U? I know Nintendo has a FAQ with a list but I was wondering if there was a sort of "common knowledge, cheap but works incredibly well for the purpose" product like hori protectors are for the DS.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Pomp posted:

I don't know if smash is as sensitive to it as traditional fighting games, but please don't play fighting games on a wireless connection.

A lot of people don't have a choice.

Well, for Smash at least. Not playing other fighting games is a choice. A good choice.

elf help book
Aug 5, 2004

Though the battle might be endless, I will never give up
I hope I can scan my Peach amiibo into Captain Toad and dress them up like princesses.

Calico Heart
Mar 22, 2012

"wich the worst part was what troll face did to sonic's corpse after words wich was rape it. at that point i looked away"

I don't know what it is about Treasure Tracker but drat something about it just has me excited and captivated. It looks like adorable fun and the kind of game I'd love to introduce kids to.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.

Calico Heart posted:

I don't know what it is about Treasure Tracker but drat something about it just has me excited and captivated. It looks like adorable fun and the kind of game I'd love to introduce kids to.

Whose kids...

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

Pomp posted:

Naah, I think I'll use wireless instead of running loving Ethernet cable down my hallway to the living room in 2014.

Wildtortilla
Jul 8, 2008
I've put about 15 hours into Smash 3DS online in 1v1 and lag either turns the game into a slide show or it's not noticeable. There is no middle ground. I also rarely notice lag in MK8 so I'm not too worried about lag in smash.

I am so excited for Smash. This is the slowest week, although I really do appreciate Nintendo doing releases on Fridays. Nothing is worse than games releasing on Tuesday and having to wait until the weekend to play.

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax
I love that I've already downloaded it and just have to download a tiny patch to play it @midnight.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

greatn posted:

I love that I've already downloaded it and just have to download a tiny patch to play it @midnight.

Definitely. And Amazon is expecting my GameCube adapter to be delivered on the 21st as well, so by the time I get home from work I'll be all set to plug in a Wavebird and go.

zfleeman
Mar 12, 2014

I wonder how you spell Tabasco.
I never preorder or preload things, but I might for Smash because I am not so sure I have a lot of faith in the Nintendo network handling launch day.

noirstronaut
Aug 10, 2012

by Cowcaster
You should buy the actual Smash disc since it'll be worth at least a few million dollars in 2050.

Grass Effect
Aug 10, 2014

noirstronaut posted:

You should buy the actual Smash disc since it'll be worth at least a few million dollars in 2050.

I plan on doing so anyways to keep up with the fact that all the previous smashes were on cartridge/disc. Get 'em all lined up in a row.

Canned Panda
Jul 10, 2012

zfleeman posted:

I never preorder or preload things, but I might for Smash because I am not so sure I have a lot of faith in the Nintendo network handling launch day.

If you are going digital with Smash on the Wii U, buy and download it now. It's 17 GB, and takes long enough now as it is. When the game goes live, you might as well start the download and then go to bed, because there's no way you will be playing it.

If you get it now, you will just need the patch they are releasing to activate the game. It will save you time and frustration.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

noirstronaut posted:

Smash Bros disks and bottlecaps are the currency of the wasteland.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

How did Nintendo pack in all that content at only 17gb

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Famous TV Dad posted:

Nintendo has really good compression wizards. Iwata, for example, compressed the original build of Pokemon Gold and Silver so hard after Game Freak ran out of room on the cartridge that there was enough room to squeeze the Kanto region in.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

Any word on the availability of the gamecube adapters and controllers? I was pretty confident that they'd be in stock, but as the day gets closer I'm getting a little antsy.

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother

Random Stranger posted:

Smash Bros disks and bottlecaps are the currency of the wasteland.

Someone should mod Fallout to replace all currency with vintage video games.

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

Pa, where are you going?

I'm heading to the New Mexico desert son. Word is there's an Atari 2600 mine out there. I figure if I can get there and dig 'em up I'll have enough carts to feed you and your Ma for the next ten years.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Is there a wii u smash bros thread?

y/n

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

ChaosArgate posted:

Nintendo has really good compression wizards. Iwata, for example, compressed the original build of Pokemon Gold and Silver so hard after Game Freak ran out of room on the cartridge that there was enough room to squeeze the Kanto region in.

This can't be overstated enough, they've always been hyper-efficient with their space. It was most noticeable on the Game cube where every Nintendo game only took like one single "block" of memory. The only real exception was Animal Crossing taking up 59 but when you bought that new it came with a 59 block card anyway.

Also all of Animal Crossing being loaded up so that you could remove the disk before the Nintendo logo even fades off the screen and still access all content. :wtc:

greatn
Nov 15, 2006

by Lowtax

davey4283 posted:

Is there a wii u smash bros thread?

y/n

In lardroom, I mean imp zone, but I'm sure one will be made for the normal forum. I encourage you to go ahead.

Random Stranger
Nov 27, 2009

Famous TV Dad posted:

The game is probably about 1 gig, the rest of uncompressed video and sound.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Famous TV Dad posted:

Well, apart from the VAST music selection and the textures for all the Trophies, there's just... not that much to worry about. The "content" is mostly the vast number of permutations possible of relatively finite resources.

There are only about 70 real "character models" for fighters in SSB4. Multiply that by 8 (to be generous) and that's still not all that many textures (which, after music and video, are the bulk of a game's size). Compared to a game like Bayonetta or Assassin's Creed, that's... just not a whole lot of stuff to store. The environments, while gorgeous, are also not vast three-dimensional environments, and many feature sizable chunks of near-solid color. Again, not much to worry about. SSB4WiiU doesn't have the gigantic Story Mode Brawl had, either, which cuts out a lot of space-consuming model and texture work on enemies and environments, as well as reducing the cutscene count considerably.

(Remember, Brawl was a dual-layer disc solely in order to fit The Subspace Emissary. Pirates frequently distributed a "single-layer" version of the disc image with Subspace dummied-out in order to save space/accommodate less versatile DVD burners.)

Even with the jump to HD and the increase in (non-Story Mode) content, the game's probably just not that storage-intensive, even before Nintendo's elite team of Optimization Wizards got their go at it.

Famous TV Dad
Nov 1, 2011

Random Stranger posted:

The game is probably about 1 gig, the rest of uncompressed video and sound.

Thats even more epic

Shelf Adventure
Jul 18, 2006
I'm down with that brother
If you look at how big all of Nintendo's Mario games are it's really surprising. I think New Super Mario Brothers Wii was only 300 Megabytes or something. Mario 64 is tiny too.

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Calico Heart posted:

I was in Gamestop the other day surrounded by little kids calling things "retarded" and talking about Call of Duty and then two of them ran past the Wii U kiosk and yelled out "CAPTAIN TOAD!!!!" and then I was like... OK, you guys are alright. But please stop yelling. Holy poo poo is it loud in here.

davey4283
Aug 14, 2006
Fallen Rib
Fyi, Wii U Smash Thread!

http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3682265

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Happy 2nd birthday, Wii U!

• Locked thread