Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
http://gizmodo.com/microsoft-band-review-tracks-your-every-move-then-bre-1656011848

Gizmodod is p spot on. Choice Quotes!

"But there's also the Microsoft Band's big chicken-and-egg problem: it doesn't have the data to deliver those advertised "actionable" insights. "Restful sleep" is a great example. On one particularly bad night, I was alarmed to learn that I'd only gotten two hours of restful sleep. But on considering it I really had no idea what to make of that number. I slept for seven hours, and according to the app, this sleep was mostly motionless. Was that restful number high or low? Microsoft Health didn't offer me much I could do with that information."

"Overall, though, the notifications need work. I tried adding the Notification Center tile to pull everything from my phone, and it was a total disaster. I got a buzz on my wrist every time the GPS set my location and every time new Wi-Fi networks were in range. As for texts, it was handy to have them on my wrist, but unread counts didn't sync between my phone and the Band, so you have to clear them twice. Twitter also gave me problems: It was great to get my @replies, but whenever I sent a tweet from my phone, the Band would buzz and notify me that the tweet was sending. Why?"

"Cortana voice assistant integration. Boy, was it was slow. So slow. Dictating a simple text message to one of our colleagues took 30 seconds to parse. Which maybe doesn't matter if you're on the go, and you're letting the processing happen in the background. But it's not the blazing fast response that Google Now delivers on Android Wear devices."

These are all spot on and the least I want from Microsofot holisticism is to work in the areas implemented. Talking txts into the watch is pointless and embarassing when you show it off. Oh hey it auto censors swear words! F**k! Never mind the ten seconds to speak all you have to say and no way to shorten or to simply add. Think turn based rather than Apple's realtime.

The band is getting worse and I'd give it back if it wan't looking shredded after just a week of normal wear.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MeatRocket8
Aug 3, 2011

Randomly came across this watch, and now i'm really wanting it:

I don't even care if it sucks as a smartwatch, it looks cool.

Guilty
May 3, 2003
Ask me about how people having a bad reaction to MSG makes them racist, because I've never heard of gluten sensitivity
What's the consensus on smartwatches nowadays? Worth the investment? I really like the idea of having something that can quickly tell me if I need to respond to something or not. I'd like to try either a Sony Smartwatch 3 or a Pebble Steel, but my eye is really caught on the moto 360. That thing just looks sexy.

Fiki
Dec 5, 2006
You mean Gumbercules? I love that guy!

Mr Funkface posted:

The band is getting worse and I'd give it back if it wan't looking shredded after just a week of normal wear.

What kind of stuff are you doing with the Band that it's looking shredded? I've had mine since launch day and I wear it for workouts and anytime I'm not showering...no real wear yet. The only change in looks I've noticed is the soft touch plastic band needing to be wiped down with a wet napkin after workouts.

Although I agree that I definitely want Microsoft to update the platform to include all the other data they're planning on, what's available already has been useful to me so far. Sure, the app won't put together the fact that I went to bed very late and got little restful sleep yet, but until it does I can do the mental math.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy

Guilty posted:

What's the consensus on smartwatches nowadays? Worth the investment? I really like the idea of having something that can quickly tell me if I need to respond to something or not. I'd like to try either a Sony Smartwatch 3 or a Pebble Steel, but my eye is really caught on the moto 360. That thing just looks sexy.

Can't speak to the Sony or the Pebble, but IMO the 360 is great. The battery life is a lot better than it used to be (okay okay you'll only get 1 day out of it, but you get a solid 1 day!), and getting notifications is pretty useful. Plus it looks cool.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Fiki posted:

What kind of stuff are you doing with the Band that it's looking shredded? I've had mine since launch day and I wear it for workouts and anytime I'm not showering...no real wear yet. The only change in looks I've noticed is the soft touch plastic band needing to be wiped down with a wet napkin after workouts.

Perhaps "shredded" is a little too much hyperbole. No particularly hard usage though there are clear dents on the bezel where it bangs up against my analogue watch, scuffs on the face from typing (I wear it on the inside of the wrist), and scuffs on the band from workouts (bootcamp nonsense, indoor rock climbs, etc.). The Band certainly doesn't look new enough to return, which is stupid after just over a week. The fact that there is a free screen guard says it all - this isn't as hard wearing as a sportsy wearable should be.

As an updated: I've given up sending txt mssgs though the wrist. It takes too long and is invariably wrong context insensitive garbage. As a notifier it is also not particularly useful (doesn't track unread messages, misses some messages, lists all call events as notifiers even those I answered or made myself). The best non-fitness use is that I don't miss calls when my phone's in my pocket.

Any news on software updates? It seriously needs to get out of this beta stage.

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja
So I purchased a Basis Peak a few days ago.

Ive been using a fitbit flex for a few months, with that I lost 15lb, now im committed to throwing money at "fitness related" wearables.

I pre-ordered the Peak on Amazon but then found that Best Buy had an earlier stock.

I chose the white model because the face had the silver aluminum body, planned to swap the white band with something else (23mm wide however, an uncommon size) in hindsight I may have just purchased the black model to forgo excess spending.

This is coming in the mail

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B008AJ4LC6/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

You can see my heart rate and movement spike when my girlfriend woke up this morning.

here is me sleeping like a long into an ungodly hour (recovering from a cold)

Basis "Habits" system, helpful so far however basis hasn't included any active notifications (vibrate) to remind you for instance that you haven't moved in an hours time. a feature that they "promise" to roll out. So far im really happy with the results of this device. I hope they are successful with the roll-out updates and live up to promises.

If requested I could add the days Ive done weight lifting leading into cardio, pics of the new band etc.

mango sentinel
Jan 5, 2001

by sebmojo

CrandleBerries posted:

You can see my heart rate and movement spike when my girlfriend woke up this morning.
:pervert:

Does anyone here have a Fitbit Charge or is everyone just waiting on the Charge HR?

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009

Mr Funkface posted:

Perhaps "shredded" is a little too much hyperbole. No particularly hard usage though there are clear dents on the bezel where it bangs up against my analogue watch, scuffs on the face from typing (I wear it on the inside of the wrist), and scuffs on the band from workouts (bootcamp nonsense, indoor rock climbs, etc.). The Band certainly doesn't look new enough to return, which is stupid after just over a week. The fact that there is a free screen guard says it all - this isn't as hard wearing as a sportsy wearable should be.

As an updated: I've given up sending txt mssgs though the wrist. It takes too long and is invariably wrong context insensitive garbage. As a notifier it is also not particularly useful (doesn't track unread messages, misses some messages, lists all call events as notifiers even those I answered or made myself). The best non-fitness use is that I don't miss calls when my phone's in my pocket.

Any news on software updates? It seriously needs to get out of this beta stage.

Well it seems MS don't give a poo poo what state the band is in. No question refund. HOWEVER it just so happened that someone didn't pick up their back order M so I roped myself into switching instead of a simple refund. Another 30 days warranty! Still none in general stock.

In related news there is almost zero overlap between sizes. I was bottomed out on the L at snug, the M is the same at a little under 1/4 way. I guess this makes sense with a limit of 3 sizes. Try before you buy, you can't eye these things in. The scale on the box or dl/print is also totally wrong.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

mango sentinel posted:

:pervert:

Does anyone here have a Fitbit Charge or is everyone just waiting on the Charge HR?

Waiting for the charge hr. With my bad knees, running is going to be out for a while so GPS doesn't matter to me much anymore.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Finally found a G Watch R band I'm happy with, and it was absurdly cheap

$9 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181457299325

fondue
Jul 14, 2002

Mr Funkface posted:

Well it seems MS don't give a poo poo what state the band is in. No question refund.
This has been my experience with all of Microsoft hardware for more than a decade. You call their support and tell them it's broken, they ship you a new one no questions asked.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

CrandleBerries posted:

So I purchased a Basis Peak a few days ago.

Well that's pretty bitchin. Do you have a "real" heartrate monitor like a Polar chest band or something to compare heartrate accuracy?

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Vintimus Prime posted:

Waiting for the charge hr. With my bad knees, running is going to be out for a while so GPS doesn't matter to me much anymore.

Force just got a firmware update to 74.

Evil Robot
May 20, 2001
Universally hated.
Grimey Drawer

Reverse Centaur posted:

Finally found a G Watch R band I'm happy with, and it was absurdly cheap

$9 on ebay: http://www.ebay.com/itm/181457299325

Hi LG G Watch R buddy! I like your strap. Mine was $12 on eBay :).

CrandleBerries
Oct 21, 2005
ITT Tech graduated ninja

Thermopyle posted:

Well that's pretty bitchin. Do you have a "real" heartrate monitor like a Polar chest band or something to compare heartrate accuracy?

No, but that would a good way to compare accuracy. I run on treadmill and have been comparing the rate I get from the metal handle bars using "kinetic energy?" and the readout on the treadmill is usually just a bit higher. 20 minutes into my run with a heart rate of 160-170 the treadmill usually reads 3 or so beats faster.

here is my workout from today.. the first large gap in heart rate was when I took it off to show a friend the watch. The first portion is weight lifting.. going into a 30 min run.. its crazy to see how your heart rate changes over time.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. Bertrand Russell

CrandleBerries posted:

its crazy to see how your heart rate changes over time.

Yeah, it was really interesting to me when I started wearing a polar chest band when running. With it connected to my phone, it's neat to see how the heart rate changes with speed/elevation/location.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007
Uninstall Facer and get Watchmaker. Imports the same files but its much easier to use, uses less battery and you can customize really well. Some of the designs are amazing too.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Holy moley I just sold my Moto 360 for $369 Cdn. Thanks Harper for turning us into a volatile petro-state. I'm gonna quit my day job and just sell 360s all day.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Has anyone delved into the privacy policies of the various fitness tracker devices and their apps? Maybe its a bit early to be asking this since the ecosystems are still just sprouting but I figure at least some of these companies are going to try and sell the data their devices capture.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

Sextro posted:

Has anyone delved into the privacy policies of the various fitness tracker devices and their apps? Maybe its a bit early to be asking this since the ecosystems are still just sprouting but I figure at least some of these companies are going to try and sell the data their devices capture.

Seriously though who cares?

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

Who cares about a device with location tracking capabilities, which can tie into your cell phone and possibly collect personal data (including access to text messages, call records, and email, depending on the device), and can potentially phone home to the manufacturer via that same cell phone? Some people, that's who. It's a legitimate concern, even if it isn't applicable to everyone.

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Dr. Video Games 0050 posted:

I like at the least to be aware of what level of data, anonymized or not, is being used and for what purposes. A little paranoid? Yeah I guess.

Super Dude
Jan 23, 2005
Do the Jew

G-Prime posted:

Who cares about a device with location tracking capabilities, which can tie into your cell phone and possibly collect personal data (including access to text messages, call records, and email, depending on the device), and can potentially phone home to the manufacturer via that same cell phone? Some people, that's who. It's a legitimate concern, even if it isn't applicable to everyone.

You do realize that they could still do these things anyways. It's probably better that you just go back to snail mail.

G-Prime
Apr 30, 2003

Baby, when it's love,
if it's not rough it isn't fun.

Super Dude posted:

You do realize that they could still do these things anyways. It's probably better that you just go back to snail mail.

Yes. I do realize that. I've already resigned myself to these sorts of things. I'm not the tinfoil hat type. But there are people that do care, and there's nothing wrong with that.

Dr. Video Games 0050
Nov 28, 2007

G-Prime posted:

I don't give a gently caress. If I did, I wouldn't own a smartphone because you know there's that chance. Especially when I'm using free services. I understand it's something that people worry about, but if Motorola or Apple knows I like shopping at Sam's Sex Shop for purple dildos and wants to sell that to the highest bidder then go nuts. In return, I'll most likely get targeted ads during my next inkling for a gag ball and that is worth it for me. I have nothing to hide, and if I do I'll not do it on social media or not on incognito mode. Take my cat photos too while you're at it.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

I can see the concern, the same way I always figured something nefarious about the Camel reps who show up at a bar and offer you two free packs of smokes in exchange for letting them scan your drivers license. I always assumed they were working both ends of the game and selling your name to life insurance companies as a known smoker. It seems like a device that captures all kinds of info about its wearer's health and activity could be a fairly valuable data source.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

kitten smoothie posted:

I can see the concern, the same way I always figured something nefarious about the Camel reps who show up at a bar and offer you two free packs of smokes in exchange for letting them scan your drivers license. I always assumed they were working both ends of the game and selling your name to life insurance companies as a known smoker. It seems like a device that captures all kinds of info about its wearer's health and activity could be a fairly valuable data source.

Those reps are the worst. They also stand around at gas stations and try to sell packs for $1. Bit they aren't allowed to talk to anyone under 21 so every sale at the register is followed by them going "are you 21? No? Have a nice day." gently caress RJ Reynolds and it's representatives. At least Phillip Morris never put me through that.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
More things need fixing on the Band!

Doing anything through voice control turns on the phone screen to run Cortana. If the phone is in your pocket get ready for all sorts of random screen taps and swipes running god knows what, especially with a sensitive (Lumia) screen. A workaround is to have a passcode (I don't) which brings you back to the lock screen without activating anything.

Which helped me notice you can bypass the lock screen and send txt mssgs and emails and whatever through Cortana without a passcode!

loving awful.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Band backorder arrived today. Picked it up from the store in the morning. Some limitations like only being able to set a single alarm on the Band with no repeat settings is kind of annoying.

:siren: WARNING IF YOU ARE USING A WINDOWS PHONE :siren:

If you are not on the preview program for Windows Phone, you won't get Cortana or notifications (except messages). I'm on the official AT&T Cyan release on a 920, and I don't have a Cortana option at all.

Mr Funkface
Dec 21, 2009
The handset alarms pick up on the band if you're not in sleep mode (huh?). You have to cancel them on the handset. Dismissing it on the band does nothing except stop the band vibrating. Nothing about this method makes sense.

Dazzleberries
Jul 4, 2003

Chasiubao posted:

Band backorder arrived today. Picked it up from the store in the morning. Some limitations like only being able to set a single alarm on the Band with no repeat settings is kind of annoying.

:siren: WARNING IF YOU ARE USING A WINDOWS PHONE :siren:

If you are not on the preview program for Windows Phone, you won't get Cortana or notifications (except messages). I'm on the official AT&T Cyan release on a 920, and I don't have a Cortana option at all.

You don't have to be in the preview program, but different carriers are different. I'm pretty sure you can get it on AT&T. I can't recall exactly but when I was in the health app it specifically prompted me to go download an update.

kitten smoothie
Dec 29, 2001

Now there's even a tracker band for your kid, it's like a combination Tamagotchi and fitness band

http://www.leapfrog.com/en-us/products/leapband

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Anyone know why my moto 360 has been running a sync loop for over an hour? It's been restarted and powered off completely. It's connected to a stock Galaxy S5

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

We do our grocery shopping at walmart (yet that sucks, but they're the closest grocery store by far) and last night I noticed they had set up a whole display section for wearables. There were probably 20 different models. Mostly fitness trackers, but they had several Android Wear devices, including the 360.

Just thought that was interesting...

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Speaking of grocery shopping, Wear needs a concept of "Pinning" an app or something.

I had this grand idea of putting a grocery list in keep and using my watch to check off that list as I proceed around the store.

Only issue is, every time the watch went to sleep, Keep disappeared and needed to be relaunched (wasn't even in the list of cards anymore.) That makes it pretty much useless for a shopping companion as having to launch Keep every few minutes to check off an item is tedious and time consuming.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Unpaired my watch. Now I'm watching it tell me."Just a minute" with a swirly circle. It's been five now.

Edit: I can use it again but it's still sync looping.

Karki
Feb 3, 2006

Who needs pussy?
WatchKit just got released to developers. I'm sure some new info about it will be mined from the framework.

Noticed the simulator for Apple Watch shows a resolution of 312x390 for the 42mm watch.

https://developer.apple.com/watchkit/

EDIT: If this guy is right, it's 1.54" diagonal, making it 326ppi. Same as the iPhone.

Karki fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Fatal
Jul 29, 2004

I'm gunna kill you BITCH!!!

Len posted:

Unpaired my watch. Now I'm watching it tell me."Just a minute" with a swirly circle. It's been five now.

Edit: I can use it again but it's still sync looping.

If it's brand new and hasn't been updated it was a known issue. Essentially you need to unpair it from your phone (so do a full reset, it should be an option if you hold down on the screen), charge it fully, then pair and update. The updater that shipped with the 360 drains the battery very quickly and once you start it will keep trying (and keep draining as the charger can't charge at the rate the watch is discharging)

Fatal fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Nov 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Bitchin'!

Fatal posted:

If it's brand new and hasn't been updated it was a known issue. Essentially you need to unpair it from your phone (so do a full reset, it should be an option if you hold down on the screen), charge it fully, then pair and update. The updater that shipped with the 360 drains the battery very quickly and once you start it will keep trying (and keep draining as the charger can't charge at the rate the watch is discharging)

I've had it since launch and it just started doing it today. I've unpaired it from the phone and done a reset today but it's still doing it as of right now.

Edit: it's murdering my battery too.

Double edit: just unpaired it, deleted wear from my phone, reset the watch again and it's still doing it. I don't know what it's syncing but I'm kind of pissed I had to charge it twice today.

Len fucked around with this message at 02:54 on Nov 19, 2014