Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Lightning Jim
Nov 18, 2006

Just a mad weather-ologist :science:
So I mentioning to a co-worker about the good ol' "system in the bricked up janitor closet" case and he mentioned that "Yeah, it was a server." That took me aback. In talking with him this happened in 2006, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing. Either it is same incident which means I know which university this was at - which happens to be my alma mater - or there are at least 2 incidents with physical plant bricking up a janitor closet with a system inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dennyk
Jan 2, 2005

Cheese-Buyer's Remorse

flosofl posted:

poo poo like this and the AD story earlier are why packet captures are your best friend.

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without tcpdump. If you know how to use tcpdump and strace, then you can diagnose pretty much any "something's just not working" issue on a Linux system.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

dennyk posted:

Seriously, I don't know what I'd do without tcpdump. If you know how to use tcpdump and strace, then you can diagnose pretty much any "something's just not working" issue on a Linux system.

For sure.

If things get escalated to us as "our poo poo is fine, it has to be your stuff", we get our customer's network staff on the line and we have a big packet capture party. After we make sure NTP is working properly on all the network equipment (boy, was THAT a lesson learned).

evol262
Nov 30, 2010
#!/usr/bin/perl

dennyk posted:

Add ltrace. And systemtap.

But tcpdumping LDAP is kind of a waste of time in general...

sfwarlock
Aug 11, 2007

Lightning Jim posted:

So I mentioning to a co-worker about the good ol' "system in the bricked up janitor closet" case and he mentioned that "Yeah, it was a server." That took me aback. In talking with him this happened in 2006, so I'm not sure if it's the same thing. Either it is same incident which means I know which university this was at - which happens to be my alma mater - or there are at least 2 incidents with physical plant bricking up a janitor closet with a system inside.

Mine was a desktop where the person wanted a silent computer.

Dr. How
Jul 10, 2007

Client: Hi, our vendor recently installed new equipment at Warehouse1, but we are unable to contact it. Can you investigate? MAC is abcd.1234.abcd

Us: We've checked all the switches at Warehouse1 but have not been able to find the specified mac address. Could you please trace the connection and tell us where it is connected?

Client: Uh, like we said, the vendor recently installed it. We don't know where it is connected.

Us: OK. Well, we don't see it anywhere. Without someone physically tracing the cable, we can't provide any further information or help.

Client: Well when I spoke with Other_Client_Tech he said you guys saw the MAC in VLAN 20.

Us: Nobody here has ever confirmed seeing this MAC. Furthermore, VLAN 20 does not exist at Warehouse1.

Client: How can we restore service to VLAN 20?

:suicide:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I just noticed another great thing with our ticketing system.
You can send email from it. This isn't the great thing, the great thing is the shortcut to open/close the email window.
alt gr + e

Guess how you make the € symbol.

:bravo:

And then go ahead and guess how fun it is when you need to write the € symbol in notepad and copy/paste it into every email.

I pray to god whatever poo poo system this crap is hosted on burns down to the ground because I loving can not deal with this anymore, I am actually considering just going back to work in a grocery store or something because between the ticketing system working against you every goddamn step of the way and the customers screaming about things way outside my control this just isn't worth it.

Also, we're supposed to keep customer on the line throughout the whole process of ordering service for them for some insane reason. I can get all the information I need to send service in about 5 minutes (80% ofthe time at least), ordering the service can take 10-20 minutes after that.
How pissed off would you be when you're calling just to order a new hdd when you know it's dead because you've tested it in 5 different computers and it doesn't get detected and you give someone all the info they need and then you have to sit and wait for 10 minutes because ???

Think I might go back to school.

Flipperwaldt
Nov 11, 2011

Won't somebody think of the starving hamsters in China?

organburner posted:

And then go ahead and guess how fun it is when you need to write the € symbol in notepad and copy/paste it into every email.
ALT+0128

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

internet jerk posted:

Why? Arcsight is pretty great if you're feeding it good content.

Oh wow, other companies use Arcsight?

Our setup is pretty amazing - one console, a pile of loggers & connectors, everything from the corporation feeding through one place.

Last time i checked, about a year ago, it handled ~40 billion events per day. You see, we get paid for each device that feeds logs through it, so it's getting everything - domain controllers, workstations, you name it.

It takes around four hours to load 1 hour's worth of filtered events.

Thousands of cases have been raised in its internal system - of course for anyone to investigate them they have to go through about 4 other systems as well.

I'm pretty sure due to the sheer volume, an actual security event has never been detected.

Oh, and one person does the case logging / monitoring. 5 or 6 people hold it together, and add more devices.

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

One of our (small) clients is seeing change rates of several gigs per hour on their SBS server, which is killing offsite replication for us. Anyone know of a free tool to track which data is being changed and by what?

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

They probably have a crypto virus. Good luck.

Bloodborne
Sep 24, 2008

iRend posted:

Oh wow, other companies use Arcsight?

Our setup is pretty amazing - one console, a pile of loggers & connectors, everything from the corporation feeding through one place.

Last time i checked, about a year ago, it handled ~40 billion events per day. You see, we get paid for each device that feeds logs through it, so it's getting everything - domain controllers, workstations, you name it.

It takes around four hours to load 1 hour's worth of filtered events.

Thousands of cases have been raised in its internal system - of course for anyone to investigate them they have to go through about 4 other systems as well.

I'm pretty sure due to the sheer volume, an actual security event has never been detected.

Oh, and one person does the case logging / monitoring. 5 or 6 people hold it together, and add more devices.

That sounds awful and while I'm certainly no ArcSight pro I know enough to understand you get out of it what you put in. If you don't have rules, filters, and a network model etc set up to actually make use of correlation then it's basically a waste of your time and money as any sort of security analysis solution.

ArcSight is like ze best SIEM available and tons of companies and gov agencies are balls deep in it. Where I work we're even having HP's SIOC bros build out content for us since we don't currently have a dedicated content dude; based off whatever use cases we've deemed Things We're Interested In Right Now. If something pops up in an active channel or a dashboard it's something that in theory we want to investigate.

Sounds like you dudes are crushing its will to live with over worked connectors pumping infinite logs, continuously evaluating queries from uncorrelated data, partial matches to rules or just no rules for correlating, who knows whatever else? Basically it doesn't sound like any content or tuning / baselining has been done? Purely guessing - the entire point of the SIEM is to sculpt the mountain of varying levels of priority rated data into an actionable event by an analyst or engineer.

If you just wanted to search straight log data from a device wouldn't it be quicker to do that by logging into the logger appliance(s)? Wait - how does "being paid per device feeding logs" work?

Dunno-Lars
Apr 7, 2011
:norway:

:iiam:

organburner posted:

Also, we're supposed to keep customer on the line throughout the whole process of ordering service for them for some insane reason. I can get all the information I need to send service in about 5 minutes (80% ofthe time at least), ordering the service can take 10-20 minutes after that.
How pissed off would you be when you're calling just to order a new hdd when you know it's dead because you've tested it in 5 different computers and it doesn't get detected and you give someone all the info they need and then you have to sit and wait for 10 minutes because ???

Last time I spoke with Dell about a DOA monitor, I felt he was really slow. I started out explaining I had tried several computers, several vga cables and a displayport cable, 100% sure it is the screen, as everything else works. When he ask me to try another cable, I start to wonder if he is incompetent or what. Then when he out of nowhere ask me if I am satisfied with the support I get and if I have any other Dell products I might need help with, before I have even given him my address, I ask if he is on a script. He confirms, and I feel so sorry for him. Must be humiliating having to do what he did. Phonecall lasted 30 minutes, with half of it noone saying anything.

iRend
Jun 21, 2004

MOTHER, DID YOU eeeeeayyyyy.... ooooooaaa... ff.

NITROUS DIVISION

internet jerk posted:

That sounds awful and while I'm certainly no ArcSight pro I know enough to understand you get out of it what you put in. If you don't have rules, filters, and a network model etc set up to actually make use of correlation then it's basically a waste of your time and money as any sort of security analysis solution.

ArcSight is like ze best SIEM available and tons of companies and gov agencies are balls deep in it. Where I work we're even having HP's SIOC bros build out content for us since we don't currently have a dedicated content dude; based off whatever use cases we've deemed Things We're Interested In Right Now. If something pops up in an active channel or a dashboard it's something that in theory we want to investigate.

Sounds like you dudes are crushing its will to live with over worked connectors pumping infinite logs, continuously evaluating queries from uncorrelated data, partial matches to rules or just no rules for correlating, who knows whatever else? Basically it doesn't sound like any content or tuning / baselining has been done? Purely guessing - the entire point of the SIEM is to sculpt the mountain of varying levels of priority rated data into an actionable event by an analyst or engineer.

If you just wanted to search straight log data from a device wouldn't it be quicker to do that by logging into the logger appliance(s)? Wait - how does "being paid per device feeding logs" work?

Client says "we will pay you a certain amount of money for every device that has logs processed".

They also don't care about quality, just quantity. They want cases raised, not useful stuff. I mean after all if you're not seeing tickets come out of your multimillion dollar solution it's not worth anything, right?

Queue 50 "Ping detected" cases per day.

Also I'm 90% sure nobody knows how to create correlations. The people who did left the company.

Another fun thing, we have to retain all the logs infinitely. As a wild guess , it's processing logs from about 12000 things. Also there's no fun thing like an MDL or DNS - mostly the only info that comes through on the loggers/consoles is an IP, maybe if you're lucky a hostname.

Lum
Aug 13, 2003

iRend posted:

Client says "we will pay you a certain amount of money for every device that has logs processed".

They also don't care about quality, just quantity. They want cases raised, not useful stuff. I mean after all if you're not seeing tickets come out of your multimillion dollar solution it's not worth anything, right?

Queue 50 "Ping detected" cases per day.

ZoneAlarm... enterprise edition?

Varkk
Apr 17, 2004

Happiness Commando posted:

One of our (small) clients is seeing change rates of several gigs per hour on their SBS server, which is killing offsite replication for us. Anyone know of a free tool to track which data is being changed and by what?

I think process explorer and/or resource monitor may be able to tell you which process is writing that much.

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003
I have a ticket to get a list of department membership from a list of usernames. Luckily for me the users' OU is their department. Unluckily for me I apparently can't Powershell for poo poo.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong in the following script?
code:
### Define Variables before we start ###
$PathToFile="C:\path\etc\blah\input.xml"

### Open XML Document ###
$xdoc = new-object System.Xml.XmlDocument
$file = resolve-path("$PathToFile")
$xdoc.load($file)

### Get the field we want from contents ###
$BrugerID = $xdoc.SelectNodes("//BRUGERID")

### Get the AD OU from the UserID ###
get-ADOrganizationalUnit -LDAPFilter '(name=$BrugerID)'
Everything works until the last line. If I Write-Output $BrugerID I get
code:
#text
-----
DOMAIN\userinitials1
DOMAIN\userinitials2
which should work fine, but I still get a big empty nothing out of get-ADOrganizationalUnit.

I've been wondering if I'm using the $Variable wrong, should I use Where-Object instead, or.. something else?

Crowley fucked around with this message at 10:33 on Nov 17, 2014

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

flosofl posted:

poo poo like this and the AD story earlier are why packet captures are your best friend.
I'm just a lowly tier-2, if I ran a packet capture I'd probably get in trouble for "hacking".

...Not to say I haven't done that in the past, but now all the people I could admit that to in the networking unit have left because of our horrible infrastructure management, leaving behind a bunch of incompetents who would probably just get pissed at me for trying to tell them how to do their job.

Crowley posted:

I have a ticket to get a list of department membership from a list of usernames. Luckily for me the users' OU is their department. Unluckily for me I apparently can't Powershell for poo poo.
Me either, and I hate the language and its stupid syntax, but what happens if you remove the variable from the equation and just run "get-ADOrganizationalUnit -LDAPFilter '(name=DOMAIN\userinitials1)'? My first thought is the script is working, but the search is just coming up empty. Does your "Name" field really match "DOMAIN\userinitials"?

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

The AD commands for PS won't accept NT account names in the Domain\accountname form, you have to either get the account SID and look that up, or chop off the domain from the NT account name and perhaps add that manually as another search criteria.

Additionally, I'm not sure if Get-ADOrganizationalUnit is the right command to use. I think you'll have better success with Get-ADUser to look up each user, and then pull out the OU from the DN with a regex or something stupid like that. (I can't find any commands or properties that let me navigate up the directory tree, from an object to the containing object.)

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Knormal posted:

Me either, and I hate the language and its stupid syntax, but what happens if you remove the variable from the equation and just run "get-ADOrganizationalUnit -LDAPFilter '(name=DOMAIN\userinitials1)'? My first thought is the script is working, but the search is just coming up empty. Does your "Name" field really match "DOMAIN\userinitials"?

I really like the way you're working with objects. Grab the output from one command and send it directly into the next one, and the language will just handle it.

Turns out Get-ADOrganizationalUnit didn't work with DOMAIN\Username. Quite embarrassing I didn't test that in the first place. :shobon:

nielsm posted:

Additionally, I'm not sure if Get-ADOrganizationalUnit is the right command to use. I think you'll have better success with Get-ADUser to look up each user, and then pull out the OU from the DN with a regex or something stupid like that. (I can't find any commands or properties that let me navigate up the directory tree, from an object to the containing object.)

Get-ADUser seems to be the way to go for me - I just need to truncate $BrugerID since the "Identity" will only accept a username. More fiddling ahead.

..at least it's a learning experience.

Earl of Lavender
Jul 29, 2007

This is not my beautiful house!!

This is not my beautiful wife!!!
Pillbug

Crowley posted:

Get-ADUser seems to be the way to go for me - I just need to truncate $BrugerID since the "Identity" will only accept a username. More fiddling ahead.

..at least it's a learning experience.
Regarding truncation: Regex with the Replace operator, perhaps?

code:
PS C:\> $users
DOMAIN\userinitials1
DOMAIN\userinitials2

PS C:\> $users -replace "^.*?\\"
userinitials1
userinitials2

Crowley
Mar 13, 2003

Earl of Lavender posted:

Regarding truncation: Regex with the Replace operator, perhaps?

code:
PS C:\> $users
DOMAIN\userinitials1
DOMAIN\userinitials2

PS C:\> $users -replace "^.*?\\"
userinitials1
userinitials2

code:
PS C:\Users\blah> $BrugerID -replace "^.*?\\"
System.Xml.XmlElement
System.Xml.XmlElement

PS C:\Users\blah>
:saddowns:

I didn't know you could do that though, so I have something to work on there.

sloshmonger
Mar 21, 2013

Crowley posted:

code:
PS C:\Users\blah> $BrugerID -replace "^.*?\\"
System.Xml.XmlElement
System.Xml.XmlElement

PS C:\Users\blah>
:saddowns:

I didn't know you could do that though, so I have something to work on there.

Maybe
code:
$BrugerID | % {$_ -replace "^.*?\\"}

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

sloshmonger posted:

Maybe
code:
$BrugerID | % {$_ -replace "^.*?\\"}
or
code:
$BrugerID.#text -replace "^.*?\\"
, assuming it lets you put a hash in the property like that.

Also change the single quotes in get-ADOrganizationalUnit -LDAPFilter '(name=$BrugerID)' to double quotes.

potato of destiny
Aug 21, 2005

Yeah, welcome to the club, pal.
An even better way to do this is with the Quest AD Powershell cmdlets. Dell made this REALLY GODDAMN HARD TO FIND since they bought out quest and want to push you toward buying an ActiveRoles server, but they're still available and still free:

https://software.dell.com/registert/71110

You don't need the ActiveRoles server to use these; you just install and then add something like
code:
Add-PSSnapin Quest.ActiveRoles.ADManagement
to your $profile.

Then, all you have to do is something like
code:
Get-QADUser $username | select logonName, parentContainer
Seriously, if you do anything involving AD and powershell, you want these.

potato of destiny fucked around with this message at 00:10 on Nov 18, 2014

peak debt
Mar 11, 2001
b& :(
Nap Ghost
If you have a weird object in .NET chances are you can stick a .ToString() after it to convert to a string.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

potato of destiny posted:

An even better way to do this is with the Quest AD Powershell cmdlets. Dell made this REALLY GODDAMN HARD TO FIND since they bought out quest and want to push you toward buying an ActiveRoles server, but they're still available and still free:
I was trying to find these earlier but I was on the phone and gently caress navigating Dell's site with a mobile browser. Thanks for the link.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

organburner posted:

I just noticed another great thing with our ticketing system.
You can send email from it. This isn't the great thing, the great thing is the shortcut to open/close the email window.
alt gr + e

Guess how you make the € symbol.

:bravo:

I pray to god whatever poo poo system this crap is hosted on burns down to the ground because I loving can not deal with this anymore, I am actually considering just going back to work in a grocery store or something because between the ticketing system working against you every goddamn step of the way and the customers screaming about things way outside my control this just isn't worth it.

Switch keyboard layout to Irish and ctrl + alt + 4 will sort that out for you.

Of course this will require you learning to switch your " and @ but that's no problem, right?

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

A ticket came in from the incredibly passive-aggressive "junior manager" of our department (loving everyone and their uncle is a manager, this guy is a 24 year old spoiled brat who manages nobody, mainly handles the department budget): please have Drone contact me.

What kind of sane person opens a ticket to have me contact them about a non-IT issue instead of just... emailing me directly, or calling me?

Che Delilas
Nov 23, 2009
FREE TIBET WEED

Drone posted:

A ticket came in from the incredibly passive-aggressive "junior manager" of our department (loving everyone and their uncle is a manager, this guy is a 24 year old spoiled brat who manages nobody, mainly handles the department budget): please have Drone contact me.

What kind of sane person opens a ticket to have me contact them about a non-IT issue instead of just... emailing me directly, or calling me?

Oh please tell me he really used the word "drone."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Arquinsiel posted:

Switch keyboard layout to Irish and ctrl + alt + 4 will sort that out for you.

Of course this will require you learning to switch your " and @ but that's no problem, right?

Actually in regular US international the Euro sign is altgr + 5 so no Irish needed.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Che Delilas posted:

Oh please tell me he really used the word "drone."

Nope, real name.

Dude sits like 20 meters from me, too.

Trastion
Jul 24, 2003
The one and only.

why am I having a hard time trying to figure out what this is?

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

Trastion posted:

Because a lot of keyboards no longer label the right 'ALT' key as 'ALT-GR'

(maybe it is to save ink?)

nielsm
Jun 1, 2009

spog posted:

Because a lot of keyboards no longer label the right 'ALT' key as 'ALT-GR'

(maybe it is to save ink?)

European keyboards do.

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

nielsm posted:

European keyboards do.

Some do, some don't.

I just checked the first 4 keyboards on Argos.co.uk - half had them, half didn't (including an official MS one)

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Trastion posted:

Yeah it's right alt like already mentioned and I also just noticed that the keyboards at work don't have the GR either.

So yeah, right alt + 5 when you use US international gives you €

kensei
Dec 27, 2007

He has come home, where he belongs. The Ancient Mariner returns to lead his first team to glory, forever and ever. Amen!

Webform ticket came in today:

quote:

Comments: i want to get back to oogle

:lol:

organburner
Apr 10, 2011

This avatar helped buy Lowtax a new skeleton.

I'm not gonna change my keyboard layout just so I can write €'s in my emails without the window disappearing.

Also, a while ago we complained that getting bonuses was next to impossible (need to have near enough perfect scores on our reviews consistently and pretty much never take any breaks for any reason ever)
They changed the bonus system.
Now you need to have the same stats as before to get it.
Oh, also, the whole department needs to have the same stats, otherwise you get no bonus at all no matter how good your stats are.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pr0digal
Sep 12, 2008

Alan Rickman Overdrive
Cisco is doing the free Meraki AP for attending a webinar thing again. Last year it was the MR16, I don't know what it will be this year.

https://meraki.cisco.com/freeap is the website for those interested.

• Locked thread