Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Schizoguy
Mar 1, 2002

I have so many things on my social calendar these days, it is difficult to know which you are making reference to, in particular.
Are there any worker placement games that are nice and simple (like Waterdeep), but aren't unbalanced and political (like Waterdeep)?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Torchlighter
Jan 15, 2012

I Got Kids. I need this.
So I just attempted to play a friend's copy of vanilla Arkham Horror, despite general hearsay that it wasn't good. Hoo boy.

The game started well enough, but two quick monster surges took us into the mid-game phase, where every round had a monster surge that bogged us down in the street, at one point knocking every investigator unconscious. So, after 6 hours, we gave up, two locations sealed, and the doom tracker at 8 with no real method of gaining doom tokens (five gates open, two major points sealed).

Is this a normal part of vanilla Arkham without house rules? Right now, I'm still annoyed that it plays like the worst parts of Munchkin Quest and Elder Sign stapled together.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

^^^ Usually I end up saying this to new players who win, but you've forgotten a rule - several, probably. Unless you were killing all those monsters you should have been increasing the Terror level; once that went above 10 it's one Doom per time. Also depending on the number of players the GOO might have awoken with five open gates.

Schizoguy posted:

Are there any worker placement games that are nice and simple (like Waterdeep), but aren't unbalanced and political (like Waterdeep)?

Caylus. You should also give Versailles a bash - it's very strong. Orleans is also good if you want to go more in the direction of Concordia.

Jedit fucked around with this message at 14:17 on Nov 18, 2014

SuccinctAndPunchy
Mar 29, 2013

People are supposed to get hurt by things. It's fucked up to not. It's not good for you.

Torchlighter posted:

Is this a normal part of vanilla Arkham without house rules? Right now, I'm still annoyed that it plays like the worst parts of Munchkin Quest and Elder Sign stapled together.

This is a completely normal experience with Arkham. Bad game.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Death is nothing compared to vindication.
Buglord

Torchlighter posted:

general hearsay that it wasn't good

I mean, there's a reason for this.

Ohthehugemanatee
Oct 18, 2005

Jedit posted:

And now we know we're into stdh.txt theorycrafting territory. If you don't have any units in your city, you are not advancing any strategy involving tiles because I control your level 4 pyramids. Also you're claiming to not have units in your city and to not be holding temples. Where are your troops?

I explained the basic idea already. You drop an eight strength+ attack force (7 size, +1 attack, +critter later on) every turn, attack and recall it afterwards. Often you do not have troops on the board. It's the point because you're denying anyone the chance at easy VPs if your strength drops below max.

Given that recruiting is the bottleneck for your VP engine, anyone parking themselves in your city is actually doing you a favor. Drop on top of them, take a VP, next action teleport out and attack someone else, take a VP, recall. That's the worst thing anyone can do.

There are no level 4 pyramids, sweet tile combos or temples integral to this strategy. You might pick up one of the first two for VPs at the very end. Did I miss something where losing a temple disables already-purchased upgrades or something? Because that would be pretty cool.

Sorry, I'm not theory crafting or making up flaws in a game because I'm spiteful or whatever. I thought Kemet was cool and then I came to rethink that. It gets recommended a ton and adding a single cautionary voice to this thread shouldn't make you question my motives.

You could even try it in a game some time and see what happens. If there's some cool thing that shuts it down or some emergent gameplay that keeps the game from slowing to a crawl, I'd like to know.

I swear I'll stop generating walls of text about Kemet now.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

Jedit posted:

Caylus. You should also give Versailles a bash - it's very strong. Orleans is also good if you want to go more in the direction of Concordia.

Yeah, Waterdeep is sort of "Caylus lite", so Caylus is the natural next step.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Torchlighter posted:

The game started well enough, but two quick monster surges took us into the mid-game phase, where every round had a monster surge that bogged us down in the street

One of the best things Eldritch Horror does is remove any concept of streets or monsters blocking you. You can always move away from a monster, and the presence of a monster just stops you from doing a couple actions in the action turn. Okay, it'll also block encounters at that location too - but if you take everything out you get your choice of encounter as a reward. No more waiting around doing nothing if you're the combat character.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

You could even try it in a game some time and see what happens. If there's some cool thing that shuts it down or some emergent gameplay that keeps the game from slowing to a crawl, I'd like to know.

Someone tried it in the first game of Kemet we ever played. He finished dead last.

I've seen defensive strategies work, but they all revolve around buying Defensive Victory, War Elephant and the snake, taking a couple of temples and inviting people to come and have a go. It generally takes two players to kick you out, and you get a VP whether they do or not.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I explained the basic idea already. You drop an eight strength+ attack force (7 size, +1 attack, +critter later on) every turn, attack and recall it afterwards. Often you do not have troops on the board. It's the point because you're denying anyone the chance at easy VPs if your strength drops below max.

If you are only generating 1 VP per turn, how can you win? You can only attack one temple per turn, meaning there are 4 others left over for the rest of the players to take. Hell, if you recall everytime you take a loss (which should be every fight as everyone should have learned to save their +1 str /+3 dmg card card just for fighting you), there are 5 temples for 4 players. Plus the temple where you sacrifice for points. This means that 1 person should be getting 2 permanent points per turn, or 2 people one, something you cannot compete with even disregarding the prayer point income from temples.

If they all are trying to emulate your strategy, they are all idiots, because it can only "work" for the person with the 7 men troop tile. They should all profit like crazy from the fact that you are only ever going to do one attack per turn if you don't buy any movement increasing tiles. If you do buy those, you're going to have gotten some income from somewhere, meaning that you were on the board and thus vulnerable.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Ohthehugemanatee posted:

I swear I'll stop generating walls of text about Kemet now.

You seem to be ignoring everyone telling you that your strategy is awful. There isn't any "cool thing" or "emergent gameplay" needed to stop to it because it's garbage that should only work on people who don't know what they're doing or somehow came to believe the same ridiculous theory.

What don't you understand about that? I know it might be hard to accept that your master stroke strategy you're real proud of isn't actually any good but that's the reality.

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 16:26 on Nov 18, 2014

Lottery of Babylon
Apr 25, 2012

STRAIGHT TROPIN'

If everyone turtles the entire game without leaving anything on the board, then someone who turtled the entire game without leaving anything on the board will win. But that doesn't actually say anything about the effectiveness of turtling.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Everyone is making GBS threads on this guy but I think he does have a point: if your group is really passive, averse to aggression, and they spook easily then Kemet will not work. Manatee set up the lovely situation but the group had to play along for it to actually work.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Gimnbo posted:

Everyone is making GBS threads on this guy but I think he does have a point: if your group is really passive, averse to aggression, and they spook easily then Kemet will not work. Manatee set up the lovely situation but the group had to play along for it to actually work.

Yeah that's exactly what everyone is saying his lovely strat only works because of the group.

Gimnbo
Feb 13, 2012

e m b r a c e
t r a n q u i l i t y

Yeah I was trying to reword it in a way that wasn't flagrantly telling him how much he sucks because it isn't a very conducive way to change someone's thinking.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR
Not all great games are for every group and perhaps they should simply move on to something they would like better.

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Tekopo posted:

The designer was meant to play LoW with Big McHuge, and when he couldn't (due to a fuckup by the con organisers), he ran the game for the people instead. I think he was meant to be there. It wasn't like Big McHuge went to pester him outside of that: I think you'd be pretty much expected to talk about your game/answer questions about it when you have been specifically booked to play it/run it for con attendee.

When Richard Breese was at Strategicon, he literally played Keyflower from noon Friday til 7:00 pm Saturday night. No sleeping in between. How lucid do you think he was about 4:00 pm Saturday? Not so much, perhaps. Tom Lehmann did nearly the same thing when he was at Strategicon. If you really want to talk with designers in a serious way, I'd recommend sending them a geekmail on BGG.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

You wait for the war to happen like vultures.
If you want to help, prevent the war.
Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Schizoguy posted:

The thing with WP games are that they are either completely passive aggressive, or they immediately become political once you can take active aggressive actions like in Waterdeep. I haven't tried Caylus yet but from everything I've read about it, it sounds like what you're looking for.

There's also Agricola, which is well designed, but I personally find it insufferably boring. Tzolkin is pretty good too, but the expansion is almost required. Both of these are a little more complex than Waterdeep, so it also depends on what you and your group are comfortable with.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Big McHuge posted:

There's also Agricola, which is well designed, but I personally find it insufferably boring. Tzolkin is pretty good too, but the expansion is almost required. Both of these are a little more complex than Waterdeep, so it also depends on what you and your group are comfortable with.

If you play Agricola in Family Mode without the cards its about as complex as Lords of Waterdeep.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Worker placement doesn't work (as far as I know) without being able to block the other guys, and that gets both political and stuff really fast. But yeah, Agricola family mode and Caylus probably work fine if that is indirect enough. Tzolk'in is great, but it might turn off your group because of the huge amount of options for what your workers can do.

Also, Targi is great for two player worker placement, but the blocking aspect is really prominent. It doesn't get political per se though, so...

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Gimnbo posted:

Yeah I was trying to reword it in a way that wasn't flagrantly telling him how much he sucks because it isn't a very conducive way to change someone's thinking.

If he had just said "hey this happened in my group, what's the deal? Is this normal?" then I would agree. However he basically declared his awful strategy to be the king of all strategies that breaks the game and then plugged his ears saying when we told him otherwise. So I think making GBS threads on him is ok.

Tekopo
Oct 24, 2008

When you see it, you'll shit yourself.

Lorini posted:

When Richard Breese was at Strategicon, he literally played Keyflower from noon Friday til 7:00 pm Saturday night. No sleeping in between. How lucid do you think he was about 4:00 pm Saturday? Not so much, perhaps. Tom Lehmann did nearly the same thing when he was at Strategicon. If you really want to talk with designers in a serious way, I'd recommend sending them a geekmail on BGG.
I understand that, I've done stuff like that myself (staying up until 4:00 am etc). I don't think that was the point I was trying to make, though. I wasn't advocating for long thorough examinations of issues and if I asked someone a question like that (something that I must admit I've never done myself), I wouldn't push it and just accept his answer, even if I didn't agree with it. Should the answer of the designer of LoW that he gave to Big McHuge be discounted because he's potentially (we don't even know, since none of us were there except Big McHuge) not completely lucid? Is that the point we are trying to make here?

And yes, if I have a question, my usual (and only) call of port is asking them on BGG, I've done it in the past.

EDIT: Sorry, I don't mean to be a dick here. I don't actually know how we ended up with this argument, because I generally avoid being a dick to any designers, no matter if I like their game or not :shrug:

Tekopo fucked around with this message at 18:09 on Nov 18, 2014

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

The only way to resolve this Kemet issue is a Kemet forum game.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

nimby posted:

I own the game and get it to the table, so I wouldn't need to be a player, but I would absolutely love to watch others play it here.

Count Thrashula
Jun 1, 2003

Buglord

nimby posted:

I've never played it, so obviously I really want to play it via PBF.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

If you take those sheep again I will bury this fucking axe in your skull.
In the run up to Christmas I'm looking to expand my wish-list a little bit with a few games. Recently I have managed to get my parents into board games and they seem to have taken it up rather keenly, particuarly Pandemic, but they also enjoy Catan and Ticket to Ride: Europe as well.

So whats a good co-op that can sit alongside Pandemic in my collection? The obvious one is Flash Point: Fire Rescue I suppose, and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game has been recommended to me though I'm not really sure about its complexity (it took a while for my parents to be totally comfortable with Pandemic, and they still forget things like how to trade cards) and how it would play with just the three of us. Freedom: The Underground Railroad has also been suggested which looks interesting.

The second request is as a result of my dad having a quick look through Shut Up & Sit Down's (other board game reviewers are available of course) review listings last night. 1944: Race to the Rhine really caught his eye, especially that it focused more on the logistics of warfare rather than combat, and it made me realise that my collection is missing a wargame. By "wargame" I really just mean a board game with a war/military theme and not specifically a classic hex-and-counter game like Advanced Squad Leader.

So 1944: Race to the Rhine is there, and I'm also sorely tempted by something like Twilight Struggle. 1775: Rebellion has also been recommended and looks good. Anything else I should have a look at? I don't mind too much if the "wargame" suggestion is just for 2 players, as while both my parents are big military history buffs, it's really my dad and I who read the most about it and are more likely to play such a game just between ourselves. My mother likes Pandemic primarily for its co-operative gameplay, and she doesn't mind competitive games as long they're easy to think about and not overly aggressive.

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Zveroboy posted:

So whats a good co-op that can sit alongside Pandemic in my collection? The obvious one is Flash Point: Fire Rescue I suppose, and Dead of Winter: A Crossroads Game has been recommended to me though I'm not really sure about its complexity (it took a while for my parents to be totally comfortable with Pandemic, and they still forget things like how to trade cards) and how it would play with just the three of us. Freedom: The Underground Railroad has also been suggested which looks interesting.

Pass on Dead of Winter. It's got a lot more moving parts than pandemic, plus it has some poorly designed mechanics. Flash Point seems to be what you're looking for. I'd also put in a recommendation for Forbidden Desert.

quote:

So 1944: Race to the Rhine is there, and I'm also sorely tempted by something like Twilight Struggle. 1775: Rebellion has also been recommended and looks good. Anything else I should have a look at? I don't mind too much if the "wargame" suggestion is just for 2 players, as while both my parents are big military history buffs, it's really my dad and I who read the most about it and are more likely to play such a game just between ourselves. My mother likes Pandemic primarily for its co-operative gameplay, and she doesn't mind competitive games as long they're easy to think about and not overly aggressive.

I haven't played Race to the Rhine, but it's on my list to check out. Twilight Struggle is an awesome game, but the complexity is fairly high compared to some of the other games you listed earlier. You might also try Memoir 44. It's a decent light wargame that has a lot of scenarios, and if you like it there are a ton of expansions that cover the different theaters of WW2.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Seven Wonders has been a hit with pro-gaming parents in my circles, and Timeline is a big hit with almost everyone, while being short and portable too. Hanabi is a sure thing too.

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

Already have 7 Wonders, but I'll definitely check out Memoir 44. I know it has an Eastern Front expansion which is probably the theatre of WW2 we've read the most about.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation
If you're turned off by World War II as a setting, but like magical elf poo poo, would Battlelore 2E be a decent substitute for Memoir 44?

Big McHuge
Feb 5, 2014

Don't save the remnants.

Save them all.

Hyper Crab Tank posted:

If you're turned off by World War II as a setting, but like magical elf poo poo, would Battlelore 2E be a decent substitute for Memoir 44?

I haven't played Battlelore, but it looks pretty god drat the same, so I'll tentatively say yes.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Big McHuge posted:

I haven't played Battlelore, but it looks pretty god drat the same, so I'll tentatively say yes.

If you like the look of BattleLore but would prefer more military history than Agincourt with goblins, look into Commands and Colours. Either Ancients or Napoleonics, depending how your taste runs. (I think someone mentioned Memoir 44 - it's all the same system, roughly, but C&C is the purest form.)

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

Zveroboy posted:

So whats a good co-op that can sit alongside Pandemic in my collection?

Get Hanabi.

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

Jedit posted:

^^^ Usually I end up saying this to new players who win, but you've forgotten a rule - several, probably. Unless you were killing all those monsters you should have been increasing the Terror level; once that went above 10 it's one Doom per time. Also depending on the number of players the GOO might have awoken with five open gates.

You absolutely cannot say that Caylus is not political. Caylus is political as gently caress.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Samurai Spirit also looks like a cute, fast co-op game if you're fine with the quarterbacking issue (which I assume you are if you like Pandemic).

jmzero
Jul 24, 2007

quote:

You absolutely cannot say that Caylus is not political. Caylus is political as gently caress.

Any worker placement game with limited places is going to have some amount of politics. In some sense, taking an action takes it away from everyone else evenly - but in practice, often one other person will need it greatly while others won't want it at all. As such, there's a lever here to hurt or benefit a specific player (and this is particularly stark with the Provost/Bailiff shenanigans in Caylus), so you have politics.

But you can say the same about most anything - pretty much any interactive multiplayer game is going to have some effective politics. Even Dominion has a bit.

To me the important part is that politics doesn't steamroll other mechanics in the game - and to measure this I think it makes sense to imagine how much of a "skill gap" (or luck gap, even) could be erased by politics in a given game (under normal play; I mean, you could collude in Dominion by doing things like asking whether someone has a defense card before attacking - but that doesn't feel like a part of normal play).

For Caylus, I feel like a significantly better player could still win against 3 other players who were "out to get him" (but still playing generally normally). By contrast, in Lords of Waterdeep, I feel like even a very good player would quite often lose to newbies blanketing him in mandatory quests (without even any collusive intent, perhaps, just as "targeting the person who's ahead"). I don't feel like I want to "fly under the radar" in Caylus. I always consider what actions will get taken first, but who I'm taking actions from is often a tertiary concern. I'm doing my own stuff, with only a general idea of who's ahead (except maybe at the very end).

In much more political games, eg. Risk or Catan or Munchkin, there'd be no way to survive 3 other players out to get you - and "who's ahead" is pretty much paramount.

Anyway, I think that in a normal game between similarly skilled Caylus players, the end result will come down to politics sometimes - but that's most unavoidable, and I wouldn't say the overall game is very political. I think it's less political than most other interactive, multiplayer (ie. >2 players or teams) board games.

jmzero fucked around with this message at 23:00 on Nov 18, 2014

Zveroboy
Apr 17, 2007

To give an example of how much my parents love Pandemic, we've just finished a three game session. We played three games last night as well and spent 45 minutes talking strategy and the best role combinations afterwards while we finished off the wine. Standard difficulty five epidemic games (I shuffle the normal and Virulent epidemics together then build the deck from that) are entertaining us quite happily, and I've still not introduced them to the Mutation, Bio-Terrorist or In The Lab challenges yet.

Regarding quarter-backing, someone watching us play would most likely accuse me of it, but by my parent's own admission they do forget about certain mechanics (such as discarding a matching city card to fly anywhere, or easy opportunities to trade cards) and are more than willing to hear out any ideas I might have. If one of them has a move in mind though, I let them take it with no questions asked, even if it isn't "optimal". I never have and never will say to anyone who plays a co-op game with me "That was a bad move." but because my parents and I have played so much Pandemic I really don't have to worry about them doing bad turns anymore. On the flip side they often point things out to me that I miss so it's a two way street really, and they're quite happy for me to keep track of the infections and crunch the numbers on what might be coming up (for example I keep an eye on what cities are potential outbreaks, something which my parents would lose track of).

We've played dozens of hours of Pandemic since I introduced it to them a couple months ago and we've never fallen out or had harsh words over it, and the fact that even after a hard loss they still want to play again must be evidence that whatever system we're using works. There's always laughter and smiles, and we always want to play again.

The gf is the worst for quarter-backing. It only took one game with all four of us playing (my parents, gf and me) for us all to mutually agree that next time she wants to play Pandemic with us, she's being the Bio-Terrorist by default.

Will have to get some card sleeves though because dad likes to shuffle cards by mashing them together :stare: He also flip-flops from game to game, initially badgering us about building research stations ("They're the key to victory!") then in the next game getting too focused on eradicating diseases ("It's the key to victory!") while the rest of the board is chain-outbreaking like crazy.

I'd completely forgotten about Hanabi which actually might be a really good idea, and I'll look more into Flash Point: Fire Rescue.

Zveroboy fucked around with this message at 23:04 on Nov 18, 2014

thespaceinvader
Mar 30, 2011

The slightest touch from a Gol-Shogeg will result in Instant Death!

jmzero posted:

Any worker placement game with limited places is going to have some amount of politics. In some sense, taking an action takes it away from everyone else evenly - but in practice, often one other person will need it greatly while others won't want it at all. As such, there's a lever here to hurt or benefit a specific player (and this is particularly stark with the Provost/Bailiff shenanigans in Caylus), so you have politics.

But you can say the same about most anything - pretty much any interactive multiplayer game is going to have some effective politics. Even Dominion has a bit.

To me the important part is that politics doesn't steamroll other mechanics in the game - and to measure this I think it makes sense to imagine how much of a "skill gap" (or luck gap, even) could be erased by politics in a given game (under normal play; I mean, you could collude in Dominion by doing things like asking whether someone has a defense card before attacking - but that doesn't feel like a part of normal play).

For Caylus, I feel like a significantly better player could still win against 3 other players who were "out to get him" (but still playing generally normally). By contrast, in Lords of Waterdeep, I feel like even a very good player would quite often lose to newbies blanketing him in mandatory quests (without even any collusive intent, perhaps, just as "targeting the person who's ahead"). I don't feel like I want to "fly under the radar" in Caylus. I always consider what actions will get taken first, but who I'm taking actions from is often a tertiary concern. I'm doing my own stuff, with only a general idea of who's ahead (except maybe at the very end).

In much more political games, eg. Risk or Catan or Munchkin, there'd be no way to survive 3 other players out to get you - and "who's ahead" is pretty much paramount.

Anyway, I think that in a normal game between similarly skilled Caylus players, the end result will come down to politics sometimes - but that's most unavoidable, and I wouldn't say the overall game is very political. I think it's less political than most other interactive, multiplayer (ie. >2 players or teams) board games.

Moving the Provost makes Caylus more potentially political than most WP games IME. Mandatory quests aren't that difficult and aren't usually worth the effort to put on as opposed to playing other cards and getting your own quests, again IME. They hurt, but not as much as the provost eating your actions entirely does. It's not the action selection that's political, it's whether you get to take them at ALL.

gently caress me the arguments we had the last time we played Caylus. They were bad enough that it's now on our 'get-rid-of' shelf.

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

thespaceinvader posted:

Moving the Provost makes Caylus more potentially political than most WP games IME. Mandatory quests aren't that difficult and aren't usually worth the effort to put on as opposed to playing other cards and getting your own quests, again IME. They hurt, but not as much as the provost eating your actions entirely does. It's not the action selection that's political, it's whether you get to take them at ALL.

gently caress me the arguments we had the last time we played Caylus. They were bad enough that it's now on our 'get-rid-of' shelf.

While I don't disagree that the Provost is political, it's also not as much as a targeted "gently caress you" as a Mandatory Quest. The Mandatory Quest feels like it came right out of Munchkin design, whereas the Provost can at least be mitigated by not placing dudes close to where the Bailiff is. Those sorts of moves become calculated gambles, where you can at least determine how much money other players would have to spend to gently caress you. And chances are, someone else is going to lose an action too, unless you're at the very end (beginning?) of the road, in which case, that's sort of on you if you're winning.

Provost provides an interesting mechanic that requires you to gauge other players and what they're likely to do (gasp, player interaction in a Euro???), wheres you just sit and take the Mandatory Quest because Lords of Waterdeep is kinda a lovely game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mega64
May 23, 2008

I took the octopath less travelered,

And it made one-eighth the difference.
Anyone else just play Lords of Waterdeep without Mandatory Quests? I've done it a few times and generally enjoyed it more that way since it's kind of a crap mechanic, plus Attack cards still fulfill the same role without being as crippling.

• Locked thread