Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Foo Fighters 5 Pack next week

Rope and Monkey Wrench confirmed

edit: and Learn To Fly

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Nov 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!

toymach1ne posted:

Foo Fighters 5 Pack next week

Excellent, give me FooSmith.

Maybe add a classic like Learning To Fly or something like These Days from the last album, though I'd guess they'll have at least one track from the new album, maybe two.

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
... Hasn't there already been a Foo Fighers 5-pack before, though?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Freak Futanari posted:

... Hasn't there already been a Foo Fighers 5-pack before, though?

Yup, as I predicted it will be the first repeat artist pack

Freak Futanari
Apr 11, 2008
On one hand it kinda sucks that they're already repeating artists, but on the other hand this sets a precedent which means that we might get another Radiohead pack eventually.

Nostalgia4Butts
Jun 1, 2006

WHERE MY HOSE DRINKERS AT

gently caress another Foo Fighters pack? That owns.

Anyone get a Xbone or PS4 version? Curious as to how it performs.

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Wait it out a bit, at least till the first patch and they get all the DLC license transfers perfectly

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Have a Bone version. I'm not sure what your question on performance is, the game runs smoothly and lets me jam out some seriously sub b-side caliber riffs in session mode.

Dead Pressed
Nov 11, 2009

FAT SLAMPIG posted:

Performance is fine. It's identical to the earlier versions, just on faster equipment so that's fine.

Dlc poo poo is a mess across the board, though it's getting better, albeit slowly.

Galdarion
Apr 13, 2014
Anyone joined a band after learning how to play with this game?

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

Galdarion posted:

I doubt the game has been out long enough to gig from this game alone.

My son is in a garage band however.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

OhDearGodNo posted:

I doubt the game has been out long enough to gig from this game alone.

My son is in a garage band however.

Pick up a guitar. Congratulations, you are now ready to start a band!

(lots of bands started this way)

OhDearGodNo
Jan 3, 2014

baka kaba posted:

Pick up a guitar. Congratulations, you are now ready to start a band!

(lots of bands started this way)

If you can be Green Day/Godsmack and can make your living on power chords, it's possible.

There are some days I find CLDC of a group I liked only to find out they play the most simplistic crap. It can change the way you view the band so be wary.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

When I first started playing I was really disappointed to find out bands used the same basic chords, and even some songs from the same album used mostly the same progression! They never sounded similar, but once I knew it was like looking behind the curtain, and it hurt the magic

You get over that though, and it opens a door to why these things work and why two similar progressions can be made to sound so unique. I mean hell, it comes up a lot, and if you've ever written a riff or something you've probably realised that it's similar to something else. But it's what you do with it that makes it your own.

Same for simplistic songs - it's not necessarily a bad thing. If you liked the song before you saw the transcription, they must be doing something good with it, it's not just simplistic and boring. And there's a skill to making that work. Rocksmith doesn't judge you on feel or groove, but that can be the entire key to why something is great. On bass especially

But yeah being in a band is different, it's a bunch of people adding ingredients to a sonic brew. It's the result that counts, how it all comes together. You can play technical lead or open chords or just make noise (I've done all this in one song... well not exactly technical lead...) Playing with other people teaches you a hell of a lot you'll never get from playing over finished, perfectly recorded songs.

If you know people, start a band! Get together and jam, make noise, perform covers, write stuff... it's fun even if you suck

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!

Galdarion posted:

I started playing with Rocksmith in August after owning a guitar for a couple of years but never really playing that much, and joined a band kind of by accident last month. We're been playing once per week for three weeks now.

I was looking for a group to practice guitar with, since I knew there were things that I would learn faster and better than by just playing on my own. On the other hand, I wanted something cheaper than going to a professional teacher alone, and I couldn't find any practice groups. I put up a notice on a local music website, and found another guitar player. Then a base player turned up, he knew a drummer at work, and before I knew it we were a band rather than a guitar practice group. So if you are in a similar situation like me, I can give you some ideas about what to expect, and what to prepare for. In my case, all other players are more experienced than me and have played for several years, even if some of them are newer to their current instrument.

1. You will learn a lot. Just by seeing how more experienced players handle their guitar while practicing will teach you new things. In my case there are two other guitar players, and they play in two different ways. This goes for everything from gear, to how you hold the guitar while playing, to how you play chords and riffs.

2. Learn the fretboard! This is something that I didn't get through Rocksmith at all, and didn't understand how important it was. "No, you're playingthe riff from a C, start on an E instead". "This new song is simple, just start on a C, then move to a D, and then a quick C D F". Things like this will burn your brain out the first time, since it's not really a thing that Rocksmith will teach you. If anyone in your group has played longer than you, they will talk like that. If your bass player is explaining it to you, you can't even just look at his fretboard to grasp it, you need to know where the A's are, where the C's are, and so on.

This is a thing that I started practicing from the first meeting, as it is a huge handicap not to know it. I'm not to a point where it's natural for me on every string, but at least I know the theory and can figure it out with a little bit of time. At least I know the E strings by heart, which is a great starting point. I have the advantage of having done power chords in Rocksmith, but the program doesn't force you to know the names, so it doesn't help when you're facing a completely new song.

3. Learn how understanding the fretboard translates into finding all the power chords. I had also gone through the basics through websites like Justinguitar, which always teach you open chords first. So my fall-back plan (since I didn't know the fretboard, and couldn't easily use power chords. But open chords are apparantly not often the best solution when playing blues/rock songs on an electric guitar. This was pointed out to me by my band quite quickly. So drill those power chords, as you'll most likely need them.

4. Your strumming probably suck. A lot. Rocksmith is a loooot more lenient than your base player when it comes to your ability to follow the tempo. Also, you're most likely strumming very sloppily, like me, as Rocksmith doesn't punish you for this.

This means that you probably strum too many strings, so that a lot of strings that shouldn't be are vibrating. This is made worse since Rocksmith punishes you if you miss one of the last strings of a chord, but not really if you strum one too many. BUT, when playing with a band, it is much better if you miss the last string of a C or a D chord than if you strum a string too many. Especially if you are several guitarists: that sound that you missed to produce will be done so by someone else, but your extra noise will stand out.

This also goes for holding your hand towards the back of the strings while playing. I'm not so good at this yet, either. I feel that one of Rocksmiths's biggest blind spots for beginners is teaching you good strumming, and that is one of the things that will stick out when you play in a band, since as a beginner you will most likely play rhythm guitar.

5. It is good to join a band because you will most likely play a few hours every week together, which will make you better. You will also probably be stuck with playing a song, even if you think it is too hard. In Rocksmith I can simply not play a song I don't like, here I'm stuck with actually improving until I'm not a huge dead weight for the rest of the band. This kind of negative motivation can be useful, but also a bit stressful. It will depend in your band, what kind of people they are, and how much better than you they are.

All in all, I think that joining a band is an important progression to make if you want to play anything that isn't made for just a single guitar. You will not learn the skills to play in a band just by playing Rocksmith. It is a very different beast altogether, and you need to expose yourself to it to learn it. Playing Rocksmith a bunch first will help you, since you will be faster to adapt if you have the basics down. But if you ever plan to play in a band, know that you will suck in the beginning either way, so there's no need to wait with ripping off that band-aid. Be open with your lack of experience and find a group that will accept you, and then start playing.

EDIT: music that is simple enough for me to play rhythm guitar after a couple of months with Rocksmith -

Muddy Waters
Neil Young
ZZ top
Foghat
The Doors
The Kinks
The Clash
Midnight Oil

Yes. I got shanghaied by a Dad Rock band. :)

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:07 on Nov 16, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I started playing with Rocksmith in August after owning a guitar for a couple of years but never really playing that much, and joined a band kind of by accident last month. We're been playing once per week for three weeks now.
Yes. I got shanghaied by a Dad Rock band. :)
This is cool you're cool

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
The Pretender just got confirmed today. That's 4/5 Foo Fighters songs confirmed!

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer

toymach1ne posted:

edit: and Learn To Fly

toymach1ne posted:

The Pretender just got confirmed today.
Awesome song choices. Now I really need to get my guitar fixed.

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

Sometimes there is a note that looks like it's supposed to be a bend, as in it has the arrows over it, but it has a very short tail so I can't tell if it's supposed to be a bend, or a pre-bend, or something entirely different. I've seen these multiple times but in particular this one is in the mdidle of a the solo in Boston's Peace of Mind. What exactly am I supposed to do with these? I can probably get a picture of the notes I'm talking about if this isn't clear enough.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...

Agent355 posted:

Sometimes there is a note that looks like it's supposed to be a bend, as in it has the arrows over it, but it has a very short tail so I can't tell if it's supposed to be a bend, or a pre-bend, or something entirely different. I've seen these multiple times but in particular this one is in the mdidle of a the solo in Boston's Peace of Mind. What exactly am I supposed to do with these? I can probably get a picture of the notes I'm talking about if this isn't clear enough.

Riff repeater with really slow speed helped me with stuff like that. Usually the really short ones are pre bends though.

Edit: Also those are really good choices for the Foo Fighters pack. I didn't really want any songs off the first one but these are all neat looking.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Agent355 posted:

What does it sound like?

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011

Agent355 posted:

does it look like this by any chance?

Agent355
Jul 26, 2011

I went and got a picture of it

Its that little orange bastard, it's definitely a bend but the tail tells me nothing. I can see now that it's paused completely that the note starts high in the strings so it's a pre-bend but drat is that difficult to see when it's moving at you. Even when I was practicing th4e section at 80% it was difficult to tell.

Tunga
May 7, 2004

Grimey Drawer
This has been linked before and might be helpful:
http://imgur.com/a/vlxTS

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

EAT SHIT

Seriously, listen to the song. You need to train your ears anyway, one of the bad things about this game (and tabs in general) is that it serves everything to you on a plate. Try playing the section back and listen to what it actually sounds like, and try to mimic it

I mean if you try and you can't make it out then fine! It's a skill - and an important one, which is why you need to practice it - but you should give it a go at least

toymach1ne
Sep 27, 2011
Foo Fighters II Song Pack – $11.99

Foo Fighters “Learn To Fly”
Foo Fighters “Long Road To Ruin”
Foo Fighters “Monkey Wrench” – Drop D
Foo Fighters “The Pretender”
Foo Fighters “Rope”

toymach1ne fucked around with this message at 05:23 on Nov 18, 2014

Fina
Feb 27, 2006

Shazbot!
Day loving one.

spamman
Jul 11, 2002

Chin up Tiger, There is always next season...
Ah well, four out of five is pretty good.

EvilChameleon
Nov 20, 2003

In my infinite money,
the jimmies rustle softly.

lilljonas posted:

2. Learn the fretboard! This is something that I didn't get through Rocksmith at all, and didn't understand how important it was. "No, you're playingthe riff from a C, start on an E instead". "This new song is simple, just start on a C, then move to a D, and then a quick C D F". Things like this will burn your brain out the first time, since it's not really a thing that Rocksmith will teach you. If anyone in your group has played longer than you, they will talk like that. If your bass player is explaining it to you, you can't even just look at his fretboard to grasp it, you need to know where the A's are, where the C's are, and so on.

This is a thing that I started practicing from the first meeting, as it is a huge handicap not to know it. I'm not to a point where it's natural for me on every string, but at least I know the theory and can figure it out with a little bit of time. At least I know the E strings by heart, which is a great starting point. I have the advantage of having done power chords in Rocksmith, but the program doesn't force you to know the names, so it doesn't help when you're facing a completely new song.

Quoting this poo poo because it's super important. If you're new to playing in bands, you probably won't be able to just listen to what people are playing and pick up and play something with it, so you have to communicate in a useful way and saying fret + string numbers isn't super useful, especially if you aren't even playing with another guitarist. If you already know your whole E string, an easy way to get around is knowing the parts of your power chord: the lowest string will be the root, second string will be the 5th, and the third string will be an octave (which is the same note as the root, but higher!) So if you're playing 7th fret on the D string, you can look down and say "hey, that's an octave from 5th fret E string which is A!"

Also, everyone ever will tell you to play your scales. Do this, and when you do do it, say out loud every note you are playing. Even if you just do chromatic scales all the way up and down the neck (frets 1-2-3-4, next string, repeat). Really though, Rocksmith isn't that bad for having all these things in there, it's just trying to fast-track you to playing songs you know/like. All the mini-games are pretty good, but they just don't have the excitement of nailing that song you've been working on. That's just an extension of what the first-time guitarist always wants, though: "hey man, teach me this song." No kid ever goes to get guitar lessons saying "I wish I knew the fretboard better and how to play scales."

Oh, and for playing in time, use a metronome. Get one on your phone or buy a physical one, they're under $20 and make sure whatever you're playing is in time. You can play all the notes and chords and fancy poo poo you want but if you're not in time it doesn't mean anything.

zenless
Feb 13, 2005
Should i bother holding my breath for a Red Fang DLC?

Mr E
Sep 18, 2007

Seriously though, play scales. Even if it takes you a while to know what notes you're playing, a huge number of rifts end up being simple scales and are much easier and better to understand if you know your scales.

Doom Sleigher
Dec 29, 2004

Learn all the scales

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Also, intervals. Train the poo poo out of your ear.

Nebraska Tim
Feb 2, 2010

toymach1ne posted:

Foo Fighters II Song Pack – $11.99

Foo Fighters “Learn To Fly”
Foo Fighters “Long Road To Ruin”
Foo Fighters “Monkey Wrench” – Drop D
Foo Fighters “The Pretender”
Foo Fighters “Rope”

How long does Steam usually take to load the latest DLC?

comeonecomeoncomeoncomeoncomeoncomeoncomeon

EDIT: Nevermind, it's live!

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug
I'm probably going to wait for the holiday sale to grab a whole bunch. If I'm spending like $20 on jimi and probably another $40 on other packs by that time, even 25% off makes a difference. It was 25% off dlc last year, wasn't it?

Lumpy
Apr 26, 2002

La! La! La! Laaaa!

College Slice

zenless posted:

Should i bother holding my breath for a Red Fang DLC?

Please do, if only to save me from having to do it. I never heard of them before I picked up Rocksmith, but their songs are just so much drat fun to play.

lilljonas
May 6, 2007

We got crabs? We got crabs!
Yeah, I find that I'm going to use Rocksmith less now that I am actually playing with people, as I need to spend the practice time on drilling the songs we play and work on my basics. That said, it was a terrific tool for getting to the (very modest) level where I am now, an I will keep on using it now and then. And in those cases where the song we play is available as a DLC or CDLC it is a nice bonus.

awesmoe posted:

I'm probably going to wait for the holiday sale to grab a whole bunch. If I'm spending like $20 on jimi and probably another $40 on other packs by that time, even 25% off makes a difference. It was 25% off dlc last year, wasn't it?

I'm new to steam, have there been previous holiday sales for DLC for Rocksmith? CDLC are nice and all, but most of the ones I've tried are inferior to the official tracks.

lilljonas fucked around with this message at 10:26 on Nov 19, 2014

awesmoe
Nov 30, 2005

Pillbug

lilljonas posted:

I'm new to steam, have there been previous holiday sales for DLC for Rocksmith? CDLC are nice and all, but most of the ones I've tried are inferior to the official tracks.

Looks like last year rocksmith 2012 dlc was 50% or 66% off and 2014 dlc was 20% or 25%.

Simone Poodoin
Jun 26, 2003

Che storia figata, ragazzo!

The worst part about Rocksmith DLC being discounted during Steam sales is that I already bought all the songs I want.

lilljonas posted:

Yeah, I find that I'm going to use Rocksmith less now that I am actually playing with people, as I need to spend the practice time on drilling the songs we play and work on my basics. That said, it was a terrific tool for getting to the (very modest) level where I am now, an I will keep on using it now and then. And in those cases where the song we play is available as a DLC or CDLC it is a nice bonus.

Yeah same here, I started from nothing and now I have weekly jamming sessions with friends and I'm even gonna perform a couple songs on my music school's student's show, which is gonna be interesting since before this I had never played with people but I've done well enough on rehearsal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheDarkFlame
May 4, 2013

You tell me I didn't build that?

I'll have you know I worked my fingers to the bone to get where I am today.

Nebraska Tim posted:

How long does Steam usually take to load the latest DLC?
Nevermind, it's live!

I can't find it, I guess it's not live for everyone everywhere. So uh, does anyone know the release schedule for the UK? I'm on PS3 if that makes matters any worse.